Go.

What does it matter what other people think.

Sheesh people love drama.

It's only a phone people

Posted via CB10
    10-21-14 04:13 AM
    Great line for a song....sorry, The Clash already used it...

Z30 144GB
    10-21-14 04:38 AM
    did you just make that up? https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid...os+google+play
    nothing on here suggests that google services is pre-installed to Sailfish OS
    I never said it was pre-installed did I? Sorry if you misunderstood what I said, but I never meant to imply that Google Services was pre-installed on Sailfish.

I was meaning that Jolla doesn't block the installation of such things. With Sailfish OS, you can do pretty much whatever you want including use Google services and gain root access.

I said Jolla has/allows it and they do. That's not the same thing as saying it is pre-installed. Sorry again for any confusion I may have caused.
    Last edited by Witmen; 10-21-14 at 06:12 AM.
    10-21-14 05:39 AM
    BlackBerry is going mad things.
    I am using BlackBerry only for keybord and nativ apps

posted via Q10
    Well, perhaps you should think of expanding your horizons and use the spelling/grammar check on the virtual keyboard. I might suggest it as your number one app.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-14 05:46 AM
    I never said it was pre-installed did I? Sorry if you misunderstood what I said, but I never meant to imply that Google Services was pre-installed on Sailfish.

I was meaning that Jolla doesn't block the installation of such things. With Sailfish OS, you can do pretty much whatever you want including use Google services and gain root access.

I said Jolla has/allows it and they do. That's not the same thing as saying it is pre-installed. Sorry again for any confusion I may have caused.
    So Jolla is another insecure OS that allows root access.
    spikesolie likes this.
    10-21-14 06:23 AM
    There are articles like this, as well as twitter feeds that might assist OP in making decision.

http://blogs.blackberry.com/2014/10/...inkId=10055701

Posted via Q10 with 1154
    10-21-14 07:31 AM
    Not sure I would want a doc that bases their decisions on an i-net forum. Just say'n
    10-21-14 10:02 AM
    I shouldn't feel bad for wanting apps on my phone.
    I haven't heard anyone say you should feel bad for wanting apps.

What happened?? I completely completely agree that a phone should not be purely for playing games and don't play games at all myself. My question about the app debate is not about games. It's about banking apps, it's about sonos, it's about Spotify, Netflix, nike+....apps which are more than just apps, they are essential parts of our lives. (android apps are not a solution. It needs to be native. Why pay premium for a phone and get a half baked experience)
    You've stated your conditions here, and the answer is not hard to see. If you need all native apps, you need to go to another platform; it's that simple. BlackBerry isn't in a position to give you what you need now, and may never be. We can discuss all day what errors brought this situation about, but it won't change anything. There's no point in anyone trying to persuade you to accept Android apps if you're clear that you don't want them. You're not alone in that. They don't bother me, but I can certainly get why some people aren't satisfied with them.

And that's fine. I wish I was a top end businessman who needed to view excel spreadsheets or check stocks or had 20 emails to reply to per minute. But I'm not. I am in fact a doctor. And unfortunately the x-ray viewing potential they are exploring in the passport is a no go for most medics as it totally disregards patient confidentiality and actually isn't that useful.
    If HIPAA (in the US) were an obstacle we wouldn't see doctors routinely using iPads with all kinds of medical images and patient information. But in fact we do see it. HIPAA restrictions apply to whether such material can be sent over open networks. If your Passport or your iPad is on a closed secure network, you can use it to view patient information and images. But you're not supposed to send such material in email attachments over the cell network unless it is securely encrypted. As a doctor, you should know all about these rules.
    10-21-14 10:31 AM
    Hesitation never helps anyone. by raising the question, you are halfway out the door. Just step out try it and see and if it suites you stay with whomever if not you see the other side you can come back. It's just a device/brand. it will neither bring the world to a standstill nor will it change the flow of the universe.
    10-21-14 10:34 AM
    You can move on, but we all know you'll be back soon

Posted via CB10
    10-21-14 12:02 PM
    Get a cheap second hand iPod touch to get the idea of apps

Posted via CB10
    10-21-14 12:10 PM
    Of course, it's not BB's fault, when Mike and Jim were saying "no one wants to watch movies on their phone" for years after it became not only possible, but routine. BB came up with the "Tools, Not Toys" campaign.

Apple and Google welcomed Netflix with open arms while BB shunned them... until they changed their mind and decided they needed them. Was Netflix to suddenly run into BB's arms?

Folks here have very long memories about the tiniest slight to BB, but are quick to forget BB's much bigger slights to other companies.
    Come on :-) You know this isn't about gentleness between companies, it's about user numbers, bothing else.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-14 03:24 PM
    OP, you clearly have the wrong device.

I for one was never a loyal BlackBerry user because I feel like someone in a certain "team". I'm convinced of their products for my use case, I do like them, so I use them. As soon as the day arrives when BlackBerry no longer delivers the best overall experience for me, I'll leave. And you, it seems, are far beyond that point already. So move on, there's no shame about this at all.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-14 03:27 PM
    The amount of posts that start off by saying " I am a long time BlackBerry user here, but....." Is really starting to eat up the space on the internet. Lol
    10-21-14 04:28 PM
    This is a little off topic, but on topic at the same time. I am just opposite. I am wanting to return to Blackberry. I want the Passport, but need certain apps. Is there a way to check to see if certain apps are available for blackberry without actually having a blackberry? If I knew I could get certain apps, I would get a blackberry in a heartbeat.
    10-21-14 04:29 PM
    Android apps feel native on 10.3.1

Posted via CB10
    I don't think so. For example try theScore. It performs noticeably worse a BB10 device when scrolling and flies on my Moto X which has the same CPU/GPU combination as the Z30. I will make a comparison video of the quad core Passport vs the dual core Moto X running android apps sometime if I have to in order to get the point across. It's not quite there yet in terms of performance in some apps. I don't anticipate any major changes until we get the Android 5.0 Lollipop runtime maybe in 10.4? Who knows
    10-21-14 04:51 PM
    I don't think so. For example try theScore. It performs noticeably worse a BB10 device when scrolling and flies on my Moto X which has the same CPU/GPU combination as the Z30. I will make a comparison video of the quad core Passport vs the dual core Moto X running android apps sometime if I have to in order to get the point across. It's not quite there yet in terms of performance in some apps. I don't anticipate any major changes until we get the Android 5.0 Lollipop runtime maybe in 10.4? Who knows
    If we get 5.0 it's going to be noticeable performance improvements. It feels native in the way that once it's loaded it performs ok. I noticed that any android app with a newsfeed will lag like crazy on BB10.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-14 05:06 PM
    10-21-14 05:09 PM
    Long long time BlackBerry user here.

Really thought I'd never come to the day when I'd be thinking of leaving my precious bb.

I need the help of my fellow bb elite to stop me from deflecting.

I have many reasons to go and now what seems like just one reason to stay. I fear that reason is nostalgia. A love for the days of when we were the elite. Before the one week bb implosion of 2010 (I forget which year it actually happened now when all systems went down and lazaridis had to address the world during the no BBM pandemic), before the iPhone, heck before the botched launch of bb10. Before a 1 billion write down in unsold stock. Too many things have gone wrong. The once king of communications has become the court jester.

I hate saying all this and wish this wasn't the case. If I didn't care I would've bought an iPhone already. But I'm holding on. I want things to turn around.

I shouldn't feel bad for wanting apps on my phone. I feel like bb has given up the fight in standing up for the once loyal youth segment it commanded through BBM. BlackBerry was a essential tool not just in the pockets of businessmen but kids (of which I was one) and now we've grown up to see BlackBerry desert us. I actually heard a friend of mine say the other day

"I remember buying a BlackBerry just so I could have a BBM pin"

Such was the power of BlackBerry.

What happened?? I completely completely agree that a phone should not be purely for playing games and don't play games at all myself. My question about the app debate is not about games. It's about banking apps, it's about sonos, it's about Spotify, Netflix, nike+....apps which are more than just apps, they are essential parts of our lives. (android apps are not a solution. It needs to be native. Why pay premium for a phone and get a half baked experience)

I feel BlackBerry has changed tracks and people like me are not the end user they are targeting. This makes me feel like I should not care as much as I do. It's almost as if they are saying it's fine for me to go. Maybe it is. Maybe this is what BlackBerry needs to do right now to stay afloat. Maybe someday in the future bb will change focus once more and the stars will realign. It's clear that the direction has shifted so radically to enterprise because tasks like multi platform BBM video or pushing for a greater app ecosystem just don't appear to be on the agenda anymore.

And that's fine. I wish I was a top end businessman who needed to view excel spreadsheets or check stocks or had 20 emails to reply to per minute. But I'm not. I am in fact a doctor. And unfortunately the x-ray viewing potential they are exploring in the passport is a no go for most medics as it totally disregards patient confidentiality and actually isn't that useful.

I sincerely hope that something changes to pacify these thoughts or someone can come up with something to change my mind. But I guess the current blackberry business plan, might just be the fork in the road that takes me away from BlackBerry for a while

Posted via CB10
    I had the 9900 for 2 years, then Z10 for the first 8 months it was released and then the Z30 for a year.
    However, I traded my Z30 for an LG G2 the other day and wow I missed Android. The phone, minus the inability to put an SD card in, is an upgrade over the Z30 in every way. And it's just way too of an integrated system to not like it.
    But ultimately it's up to you. I made the jump because I knew what I was getting into and wanted Android. If you're on the fence, however, I'd say just go with the the choice that provides you the most continuity.
    10-21-14 06:39 PM
    I had the 9900 for 2 years, then Z10 for the first 8 months it was released and then the Z30 for a year.
    However, I traded my Z30 for an LG G2 the other day and wow I missed Android. The phone, minus the inability to put an SD card in, is an upgrade over the Z30 in every way. And it's just way too of an integrated system to not like it.
    But ultimately it's up to you. I made the jump because I knew what I was getting into and wanted Android. If you're on the fence, however, I'd say just go with the the choice that provides you the most continuity.
    I've heard the opposite from some people. It's all about preferences.

Posted via CB10
    10-21-14 06:44 PM
    Lol did you even read what I wrote? That is the essence of what I suggested.
    Witmen likes this.
    10-21-14 07:36 PM
    I think there is a "good bye" forum on here somewhere.
    But since it is here.. I will give you $.50 to stay if it helps the cause.

Sent while driving from my Crackberry.
    10-21-14 07:41 PM
72 123