Oh, and it's called Blackberry Bridge which implies you need a Blackberry device, I don't understand the confusion.
    True, but some will look at the PlayBook as the "BlackBerry" device you describe, the same people who 1) don't read tech blogs, 2) don't know RIM products by model numbers and 3) begin and end their inquiry with "apps."
    01-09-12 05:02 PM
    Care to elaborate?
    Sure!

Uh-Huh is an 1983 album by John Cougar Mellencamp, a stage name for John Mellencamp. It was Mellencamp's seventh album and the first in which he used his real last name. It charted at #9 on the Billboard 200.

Cheers!
    01-09-12 05:25 PM
    I actually read a lot about other phones problems, issues etc, but on their respective forums and sites. If i'm on the Razr forums..i expect to read about issues. Same goes for the Galaxy Nexus or iPhone forums..and yes..people rub stuff in. When I'm on a Blackberry site, I expect to read about issues related to it. That's just the nature of forums on "teh interwebz"
    The difference is razr owners is talking about their problems. When we talk about blackberry problems and trying to help the posters with their problem is cool. The bs I'm talking about is the cross platform owners rushing in like voltures and claiming the brand is the problem.
    Just like this thread has turned out. The feast isn't really that necessary.

P

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-09-12 05:29 PM
    Bit of both.
    The market is expanding, but people ARE leaving *in North America.* RIM is strong elsewhere, including Europe. It's not just the emerging markets where RIM is still strong, they have an enormous presence in the UK and the continent.
    i hate to be a negative nancy but its clear in the UK that people are leaving their blackberries. I must have witnessed between 5 and 10 good friends move to iphone just this year alone, sorry last year now! It was sad to see but at the same time i diddn't have a leg to stand on. They want faster browsing, more fun apps on the phones. They all admitted they miss the physical keyboard but the platform is just far too weak for what people expect phones to do today
    01-09-12 05:37 PM
    Sure!

Uh-Huh is an 1983 album by John Cougar Mellencamp, a stage name for John Mellencamp. It was Mellencamp's seventh album and the first in which he used his real last name. It charted at #9 on the Billboard 200.

Cheers!
    I see, that makes perfect sense now. I'm gonna go have, a better, conversation with a wall, any wall. Excuse me.
    01-09-12 05:39 PM
    something that none of the competitors have, though I'm sure they would like to if they could.
    HP offered this with WebOS. Maybe RIM's competitors looked at the numbers that said that the Android & iPad had 82% of the tablet market, while the iPhone only has 29% of the cell phone market and thought: "Hmm maybe it doesn't to the vast majority of tablet owners don't see factor this application into their decision on which tablet to purchase."

Possibility?
    01-09-12 05:40 PM
    I'm getting the Bold 9900 for my mom with a lot of her resistance. She hates texting before I handed her an Envy 2 feature phone and asked her to please try out texting. That was about a year ago. Now she is very efficient with texting. She uses it to keep in touch with friends and the grand kids. Now she wants some more features so I'm going to pull the trigger on the Bold 9900 for her.
    By the way, the Photo Studio PRO is so awesome. I enjoy this app very much and the BHive Tasks also. I bought it as gift for my sister who happens to use a 9900 also.
    01-09-12 05:46 PM
    The difference is razr owners is talking about their problems. When we talk about blackberry problems and trying to help the posters with their problem is cool. The bs I'm talking about is the cross platform owners rushing in like voltures and claiming the brand is the problem.
    Just like this thread has turned out. The feast isn't really that necessary.

P
    Understood. I'm not sure how long the OP would plan on keeping a phone, but I would say with all confidence any BB would be fine (both in official and dev support) for at least a year or two. Beyond that, I wouldn't recommend a Berry to anyone at the moment if they were looking for a long term commitment. But those are just my thoughts. Personally, I change phones at least every year, and so wouldn't hesitate recommending one for the same time period.
    01-09-12 06:03 PM
    Understood. I'm not sure how long the OP would plan on keeping a phone, but I would say with all confidence any BB would be fine (both in official and dev support) for at least a year or two. Beyond that, I wouldn't recommend a Berry to anyone at the moment if they were looking for a long term commitment. But those are just my thoughts. Personally, I change phones at least every year, and so wouldn't hesitate recommending one for the same time period.
    Why wouldn't you suggest a BB for a long time cometment? If its past 2 yrs from now and your contract is over you simply get a new phone if a way hasn't been found to get around bis.
    If its before 2 yrs and a way isn't found to get around bis your carrier is going to have to let you out of the contract or get ya into. Device that works. Its catch 21. They can't hold you to something they no longer can provide.
    Its just straight up silly to say that one shouldn't buy a blackberry because their going away. In fact they are not. Their getting new customers plus selling devices. They are in the black so there's no reason to believe their going under.
    The market is making a big shift. I believe we'll see more and shifts in the market and it won't lean so much the way it does now.
    Just look at the 7130 and then the 9860. Tell me Rim isn't coming up.

01-09-12 06:20 PM
    How about technologies like the bridge. Whether you like it or not, whether you will ever use it or not, owners of a PlayBook and a BlackBerry phone have it, use it, and love it. And while nobody else has it, RIM is still expanding its capabilities. Is it a game-changer that the competitors need to fear? Probably not; but it is something that none of the competitors have, though I'm sure they would like to if they could.
    You are absolutely correct! In fact, the OP is an example of Bridge and the PlayBook made RIM a new BlackBerry smartphone user and BIS subscriber.

Let's not kid ourselves here. The PlayBook, despite lacking some core features and being totally blown apart by the media, is an incredibly powerful and versatile tool. Sure, you can have a blast with a PlayBook on its own, but Bridge has to be noted as a factor that has brought people to BlackBerry phones. And even with email, calendar, contacts, etc. being released, you still won't have wireless connectivity on-the-go without a Bridge-enabled phone. This would be reason enough, for me, to buy a BlackBerry phone if I already didn't own one.

And, if you look at how Bridge operates, it saves the end-user almost $30 a month (if I'm correct on the cost for a basic 2GB data plan for tablets) for wireless services you could already have if you have a PlayBook bridged to a BB phone. This is a huge selling point and, in my eyes, extremely practical.

In my honest opinion, Bridge is one of the best things RIM provides for its customers.
    sleepngbear and jamesbondOO7 like this.
    01-09-12 07:14 PM
    BlackBerry Bridge alone is probably the most innovative thing to happen to the industry since probably the iPhone/touch screen. The fact that you will always have an internet source for your tablet, access to any files on your phone, a portable keyboard and mouse, etc. is a very powerful suite of options actually.

Then you pair this with the email client that the new OS has coming, the high intergration that they have with social networking, the new Print to Go (which is awesome), the best mobile browser to date on the Playbook, etc., sounds to me that they are being pretty innovative.

As for their phones, I really enjoy the available apps they have on their phones very much like BlackBerry Protect, BlackBerry Travel, BlackBerry Maps, Facebook, Evernote, Poynt, BlackBerry Traffic, Documents to Go, BBM, BBM Music, and the way they do messenging/notifications is still miles ahead of the competition.

Edit: And the reason that everyone should be afraid of QNX is because it is the most robust OS in the world. Do some research on it.
    Last edited by scott.slater; 01-09-12 at 08:16 PM.
    01-09-12 08:12 PM
    Why wouldn't you suggest a BB for a long time cometment?
    I wouldn't suggest a BB for over 2 years simply because the hardware will be severely outdated in 2 years (because its already outdated in the tech world) not to mention it wont be upgradeable to the new software. While you may think "But its great as it is"..once QNX comes out, and if it proves to be a success..there will be some disappointed and angry people.

The only phones I'd suggest for long term is firstly iPhone simply because their hardware can hold up to future upgrades as is evident with the 3GS being able to run iOS5. And secondly would be Android..ONLY if the person felt comfortable with rooting and rom'ing their phone..otherwise it wouldn't be worth more than a 2yr commitment.

I know if I still had my Torch I'd be choked that I wouldn't be able to get something as basic as wifi hotspot with the new leaks.
    01-09-12 08:29 PM
    Upgradeability is a huge factor for me as well. Major factor.

One reason that Bridge may not be considered as groundbreaking for a lot of non-BB users is that plenty of people already tether for free. If one can use one device to tether a few tablets and a laptop to ONE device, you can see why Bridge would not be as compelling of a feature.

It cuts both ways. Still, I agree that Bridge is great for BB owners.
    01-09-12 08:38 PM
    I wouldn't suggest a BB for over 2 years simply because the hardware will be severely outdated in 2 years (because its already outdated in the tech world) not to mention it wont be upgradeable to the new software. While you may think "But its great as it is"..once QNX comes out, and if it proves to be a success..there will be some disappointed and angry people.

The only phones I'd suggest for long term is firstly iPhone simply because their hardware can hold up to future upgrades as is evident with the 3GS being able to run iOS5. And secondly would be Android..ONLY if the person felt comfortable with rooting and rom'ing their phone..otherwise it wouldn't be worth more than a 2yr commitment.

I know if I still had my Torch I'd be choked that I wouldn't be able to get something as basic as wifi hotspot with the new leaks.
    Is os10 enough of a promise to you to actually put you in that position?
    I myself don't make suggestions about things coming out. I'm not promised a tomorrow so I enjoy using what I have today.
    Where its true that the ip3gs can run ios5. I don't think it'll run the newer versions. Not to mention the heating issue with the 3gs.
    My 9860 is good enough today.....what else do I need?

01-09-12 09:12 PM
    I don't believe that RIM would go out of business. I am a very new BlackBerry owner, and got my first smartphone 9380 (touch screen) only a month ago. It works great for me, and even better with my PlayBook.

Given the choice now, I would now go for the 9370 (with keypad) and the 64GB PlayBook for $299. PB will be updated next month with more features.
    01-09-12 09:53 PM
    Well I came back to check on my thread and I see that it is still going strong. I am not quite sure it is going where I thought it would go. I just wanted advice on what I should do about buying a Blackberry at this time or not. I'm glad to see that so many of you have jumped in and shared your thoughts on the subject. I have not read all the posts in this thread, there are just too many. I will add though that I have decided to buy a Blackberry. I'm hoping to pick up my Blackberry Torch 9810 this week. I hope that RIM will be able to bounce back and put out amazing products that will remind the naysayers not to count RIM out of the game just yet. I for one will be proud to have a Blackberry phone no matter what.
    01-09-12 11:18 PM
    In 1998 Michael Dell said If he was Steve Jobs, who had just come back to Apple, he would shut the company down and give the money to the shareholders. Now, Apple is worth way more than Dell. Things change all the time but RIM isn't in dire straights at all, Just a bit late with the new OS. So is Microsoft but nobody says their game is over.

Remember back to the initial iPhone release. No cut/copy/paste. No APPS! 1st iPod touch had no email client, then when it got one you had to purchase it.

RIM is strong and has great engineers on the job but it's a big job. Taking an OS like QNX and making it a mobile powerhouse takes time. iOS is in fact the same as OS X, minus a few api's and plus a few as well as a new UI layer, and it took Apple from about 2002, as roomer suggests, till 2006 to have it ready for 1st release.

It's all just fine in my book. I just switch from iOS and I'm an Apple Tech and computer user!

Wait 2 years from now. Apps everywhere on all platforms. If BBos7 wasn't about to be upstaged by BB10 you would see more apps now. And when BB10/Playbook OS 2 is out there will be lots of new ones.

Jump in, get your feet wet. The water is nice and warm, plus the jacuzzi and hot tub are almost ready!
    can you come to vancouver in the winter , in febuary , i know around that time we'll have a blizzard , i'd like to pry your blackberry off your cold sore freezing thumbs ^_^)
    01-10-12 05:32 AM
    Let's say you have found yourself a trusty BB and RIM recorded losses in the next two quarters will your BB just die on you? Will those functions that made you look into it suddenly stop working?
    If indeed RIM was a dying breed today it is unlikely to happen during the lifetime of any phone you will buy now.
    These are the worst case scenarios. If the worst case scenarios are so unlikely to affect you then the question really should be: Do you really want a BB?
    And not: Are all these doomsayers right.
    01-10-12 06:02 AM
    Is os10 enough of a promise to you to actually put you in that position?
    I myself don't make suggestions about things coming out. I'm not promised a tomorrow so I enjoy using what I have today.
    Where its true that the ip3gs can run ios5. I don't think it'll run the newer versions. Not to mention the heating issue with the 3gs.
    My 9860 is good enough today.....what else do I need?
    You are correct, the 3GS won't run whatever iteration of iOS comes next. I think it's a 3 year life cycle or something for iOS hardware..but that's better than anyone else offers (even Android, unless you mod).

I agree..you can't always wait for the "next big thing", because the way tech is rapidly moving, that "big thing" is always on the horizon. However, I stopped buying phones that were just "good enough" with my Torch. Yes, it made calls, surfed the web relatively good, and for the most part was an enjoyable phone. But there was lots it (nor any BB)didn't offer, so I tried something different.

When BB10 comes out, I can pretty much guarantee i'll buy one to play with, but whether or not it'll be my daily driver or not will have to be decided. I'm a big fan of widgets, so it'll be hard to give that up
    01-10-12 08:09 AM
    I just switched to BB from Android - so here's a different perspective. I'm not a BB superfan, but I need a tool for business first, a toy second.

Pro BB: Sit in a meeting to book an appointment, and the BB users have it booked in 1/2 the time it took me to set through the steps on my android. Same with emailing. etc. I can't stand the number of times I pocket dialed, dragged icons of the home screen, launched apps accidentally, etc on my Android - major time waster.

Anti BB: Android has 50% market share, Apple 30%, and everyone else carves up the remaining 20%. So if your primary interest is apps, go to Android. Yes RIM's fortunes are sinking - they may get taken over, merged, etc. So plan on a 2 year lifespan of your BB max. Finally, there is enormous freedom in the Android world - you own the phone and its capabilities. As for BB, your carrier has control over what your phone can and can't do - scary. Most people don't realize this until they've had an Android phone, and then go to BB.

My BB9900 feel a lot like my old Windows Mobile 5 phone. The UI is dated, but it gets the job done. I do miss my Android, and even some things my WinMobile phone could do 6 years ago. I have not found the perfect phone yet - and yes I have some complaints about my BB. But...my BB is the best fit for now. If the new BB's become just another big touchscreen phone then I'll probably go back to Android. If the new BB's stay a business tool with keyboard, small size, efficient, etc. then I'll probably stay BB.
    llllBULLSEYE likes this.
    01-10-12 10:49 AM
    I jumped into this sinking ship recently, my wife change her cell from Samsung to Curve9300, I change my Iphone3GS to bold 9900, that is all.
    I am a Canadian, I support RIM!
    01-10-12 09:11 PM
    If you really, really think the ship is sinking, it'd be pretty stupid to jump on it, don't you think? So the question then becomes, is this ship sinking as some would have us believe? I wouldn't say it's sinking as much as it's been drifting around for a few years without a rudder. Using that same analogy, left to long in that condition it's bound to eventually hit something and sink. But I'm more inclined to believe that they're getting things back in order up there, and we should start to see some decisive direction emerging throughout 2012. JMOVFHO.
    01-10-12 09:50 PM
    I am a Canadian, I support RIM!
    What does being Canadian have to do with it? Should all US BB users dump Blackberry and go to Android or Apple because they are American?

Its comments like this that make people think twice about getting RIM phones.
    01-10-12 10:11 PM
    I As for BB, your carrier has control over what your phone can and can't do - scary. Most people don't realize this until they've had an Android phone, and then go to BB.
    same thing i though when i switched from Android to Blackberry a year ago.
    Boy was i wrong.
    visit the hybrid part of the forum just to get a feel.
    01-10-12 10:27 PM
124 ... 345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD