Is there any advantage to getting a media card if I don't plan to store more than a few photo, ringtones, etc? Does the added memory help speed up any other functions? I doubt I'd use the mass storage function unless it supports documents on the BB. For storage I'll use on a computer I'd just stick to a thumb drive.
    Last edited by csmith200; 05-18-08 at 02:53 PM. Reason: adding sentence
    05-18-08 02:51 PM
    The advantages of having a media card; storing photos/music/videos so they don't take up space on your BB's internal memory. Get a 512mb or 1gb if you plan to store a little of media, it can't hurt to have a little more space.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-18-08 03:09 PM
    And you can also use your phone as a flash drive. Remember it's a memory card, so you aren't just limited to media.
    05-18-08 03:17 PM
    The 4.5 OS is supposed to include Docs-to-Go, which will support docs on the media card. You will want one then.

05-18-08 03:17 PM
    If cost isn't a determining factor, then it wouldn't hurt to have one.
    05-18-08 03:52 PM
    Installing a media card and making a setting change frees up 5 Mb of device memory.

Removing the wall paper and using a media card image frees up another couple Mb.

Well worth the investment.

05-18-08 03:55 PM
    Stoner: what setting change? And is it applicable to the 8830? I performed John Clark's procedure before you created yours.

05-18-08 04:01 PM
    Jeff there are two.
    1) Open media > go to options and set device memory limit to the lowest number

2) On the same screen go to reserved picture memory and set that to zero. Save. Exit. Check your memory
    05-18-08 04:10 PM
    Ah, I was hoping it was something I hadn't seen. On an 8830, the only choices for device memory limit are 12mb and 15mb and there is no option to set reserved picture memory.

05-18-08 04:22 PM
    Those are the right settings. The really big boost come from the reserved picture memory. The 8830 did not need it in the first place.

Full of features, a delightfull out of the box experience.

05-18-08 05:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD