Hi all

Im planning to get myself a smartphone and am totally sold on the blackberry bold. However, I'm not working in the corporate world and probably won't get too many emails regarding work if compared to a corporate person. So..I'm just planning to take the lowest internet package any carrier will offer and for surfing the internet, IM-ing and all that jazz, I'm gonna take advantage of the free-wifi in my office area.

So, I'm posting to ask if it's worth it for me to get a bb Bold since I'm not corporate and all...the other reason I'm leaning towards the Bold over the iphone is well, for me personally, eventhough its great for surfing, the iphone looks like a glorified ipod (which i already have) and more like a media centre...which is what the Bold can do to..and plus I am looking to view/read pdf documents on the go as well. Oh and the Bold is just pretty to look at as well.

So to cut it short..worth it for me to get a Bold? Thanks for your time people!
    09-06-08 06:06 AM
    Welcome to CB! Asking if you should get a BB on a B(C)rackberry forum, is like asking if beer is good at a bar.

As far as being "non-corporate" user of a Blackberry, you will find that RIM has really made advances in appealing to the average consumer. Heck, you can play MP3's (Via Stereo Bluetooth); voice dial; swap out flash memory cards and even your battery on contemporary BB's....BTW: even the highly esteemed iPhone can't do these things! Of course you have Push eMail, camera's and ton's of messaging options. Onto a more contentous topic, you even have a GPS option.

As far as the BB Bold, it appears to be a great phone - if it ever makes it to the US? There are even other phones that are coming out that you may want to keep an eye out for - Like the Javalin/Niagra or the Storm/Thunder...etc.
    09-06-08 08:39 AM
    I went from a standard clam shell phone to a pearl 8130. I am not looking back at all!
    Like yourself, I am non corporate with it (would be nice if the company did take over my bill)

The more and more i use it, the more i wish I did go for a high end BB.

The Bold is a wonderful phone, 2 of my friends have it and I can only look over in ENVY when they pull them out.

And on the other side of things BOLDS are gsm. so if you do not like it, you can get it unlocked and sell it.

Welcome to CB and good luck with your decision!
    09-06-08 08:48 AM
    i wanted a smart phone with some buisneness capapitieliues and went for the bold after some good prepublicity and the look. after haivng it for a few weeks i woud tell anyone who does not have to have one dont get one. The interface is very clcunky - it reminds me on an age 10 years ago when dos was around.

The GPS may or may not working depending on which supplier you go with. My supplier will not let me access download bb maps for example. My phone cuts off the dowload to googlemaps, anothr program is dowlonaded but it says it cant fin a saalitte, when i can find it on the GPS program.

There is no easy way of downloading contacts form outlook 2007 to the blackberry bold. Ineeded no way has worked - and the store can or cant or wont help. Try asking support for help you might say. Over 10 days of waiting have resulted in notheing more than telling me how important my issue is to them - and then sillience. Rubbish service. I am also told it will cost me over $US3 to download my emails when I am away.

All these problems may mean that i am ***** (party true i have a blackberry bold) - but smartphones should be kind of ***** proof and be more than a teckies delight. I want to do business not become a techie. I want a smartphone for the 00's not the 90's. Its obviosly to me rim need a major invester to make thier prodict user freindly.

One more point - the volume at high is almost quiet I constant miss calls, you need to pay more for money to make the thing useful in terms of music storage, and the build quality of the headphone is pathetic.

Get smart get a nokia.
    Last edited by davidinsoho; 09-06-08 at 09:01 AM. Reason: your system will not let me call myself an *****
    09-06-08 09:01 AM
    i wanted a smart phone with some buisneness capapitieliues and went for the bold after some good prepublicity and the look. after haivng it for a few weeks i woud tell anyone who does not have to have one dont get one. The interface is very clcunky - it reminds me on an age 10 years ago when dos was around.

The GPS may or may not working depending on which supplier you go with. My supplier will not let me access download bb maps for example. My phone cuts off the dowload to googlemaps, anothr program is dowlonaded but it says it cant fin a saalitte, when i can find it on the GPS program.

There is no easy way of downloading contacts form outlook 2007 to the blackberry bold. Ineeded no way has worked - and the store can or cant or wont help. Try asking support for help you might say. Over 10 days of waiting have resulted in notheing more than telling me how important my issue is to them - and then sillience. Rubbish service. I am also told it will cost me over $US3 to download my emails when I am away.

All these problems may mean that i am ***** (party true i have a blackberry bold) - but smartphones should be kind of ***** proof and be more than a teckies delight. I want to do business not become a techie. I want a smartphone for the 00's not the 90's. Its obviosly to me rim need a major invester to make thier prodict user freindly.

One more point - the volume at high is almost quiet I constant miss calls, you need to pay more for money to make the thing useful in terms of music storage, and the build quality of the headphone is pathetic.

Get smart get a nokia.
    a nokia on a BlackBerry forum no no .
    09-06-08 09:29 AM
    The one place that you'll potentially have a problem is the PDF viewer.

I don't know of any good options for viewing on the BB at this time. (And it's been an ongoing frustration for others too.)

There are several options that will let you read it 'IF' it's an email attachment, but that only works with files under 5MB in size, if it's bigger then it's a no go.

I'm a non corp user myself, and there's a lot on it that I do and like on it, so take what you want to do in with you to a provider store and see if it'll do what you want.

Best of luck and good hunt.
    09-06-08 09:54 AM
    thanks for the replies guys..albeit me replying late to my own thread..im picking up my bold today, yeehaw !
    09-23-08 04:47 PM
    deff get one!!!! i just got mine on saturday the curve.i havent been off it since. it is an unbelievable phone its sooo amazing!!! im so addicted!
    09-23-08 06:21 PM
    No buisness in sight here, have a Curve 8310 and absolutely have fallen in love with it. YES YES YES!!!! Don't get any other phone, you will LOVE BB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Take my word, you will really enjoy your BB!!!!!!!!! :]

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-23-08 06:27 PM
    Great news and starting out with the Bold no less. I got the Curve in June for business reasons and don't give it a rest even when not working. It has become my MP3 player. A handy camera/video for rhose active Grand children of mine. Enjoy.
    09-23-08 07:16 PM
    Blackberry is a good way to go. I have a curve now, waiting on the Bold. I'm not in the buisness world either, and believe it or not you do end up using those services. Good luck with it!

09-23-08 07:25 PM
    it is an unbelievable phone guys! thanks everyone!

i got it today..wow its amazing. 1 question for a total blackberry newbie...i could have sworn my dad's (the last time i saw him) blackberry pearl's front screen had all his task and notes on it..on the main screen..or did it..hmm, anyway if it does have it, how do i get it on my Bold? appreciate the help fellas!
    09-24-08 11:24 AM
    thanks for the replies guys..albeit me replying late to my own thread..im picking up my bold today, yeehaw !
    Very wise decision! I skirted around buying a BB for about a year and finally bought one. I use it more for personal than business, best money ever spent!!!

09-24-08 11:43 AM
    Welcome to Crackberry!! Glad you decided to go with a BB and not to mention the BOLD. You wont regret it!!!
    09-24-08 12:02 PM
    Being a recent Windows Mobile (WM) convert to BB, I have to say that you made the right decision. I've had a number of WM phones and none compare to my Pearl.
    09-24-08 12:07 PM
    my bb is for work and my iphone is for play that simple and att sucks
    09-24-08 12:28 PM
    it is an unbelievable phone guys! thanks everyone!

i got it today..wow its amazing. 1 question for a total blackberry newbie...i could have sworn my dad's (the last time i saw him) blackberry pearl's front screen had all his task and notes on it..on the main screen..or did it..hmm, anyway if it does have it, how do i get it on my Bold? appreciate the help fellas!
    It is the today theme .. go to options .. then go to themes ... ( that is how you get to it on the curve ... and not owning a bold I do not know if it is on there as a theme but I would think it would be )
    Hope that helps !!
    09-24-08 12:53 PM
    I myself am not a corporate type, but after trying my 1st BB, I've realized that I can't ever go back to anything other than a BlackBerry

09-24-08 01:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD