Hello!

i need serious opinions and advice...

Im about to join the crackberry addiction...my carrier is SPRINT and I am deciding on purchasing a PEARL....do you think I am making the right choice?
    Is the Pearl and good start? I am a young 22 yr old female..
    Any pros or cons??

any advice on the pearl and purchasing would help me alot thank you!
    07-18-08 12:08 AM
    My honest opinion would be Curve. Bigger screen and full qwerty keyboard. But then again, girls love Pearls. I would go down to the store and play around with the different BB's and see what feels best.
    07-18-08 12:10 AM
    The pearl is a nice phone, but you may want to consider the Curve.

Welcome to CB!

The differences can be seen on BlackBerry
    07-18-08 12:10 AM
    Yeah go see which one feels the best for you I have both like them both but I like the Curve the best.
    07-18-08 12:11 AM
    I know nothing about BB...would the PEARL be easier for me to use?
    I dont need too much high tech in my phone just something to keep me organized, connected, and occupied LOL
    07-18-08 12:15 AM
    Depends what you're looking for. Feature wise the Pearl and the Curve are nearly identical. If you are looking for an easily pocketable Blackberry that comes in a phone-like form factor, the Pearl is it. The smaller size does mean some compromises though - a smaller screen and a SureType keyboard. SureType is one of those things that you either love or hate, some swear by it, others swear at it. If you're coming from a dumb phone, it's probably easier to pick up than if you're coming from a smartphone with full QWERTY. The Curve is slightly wider, but will give you a bigger screen and full QWERTY keyboard. It also has 96mb of memory vs 64mb on the Pearl. It looks and feels more like a traditional Blackberry.
    07-18-08 12:16 AM
    I dont need too much high tech in my phone just something to keep me organized, connected, and occupied LOL
    I like the Pearl ONLY for its size. I bought the Pearl last summer and gave it two weeks and then returned. I did not like the keyboard nor the small screen. I was tougher for me to use because of the keyboard.
    07-18-08 12:18 AM
    Depends what you're looking for. Feature wise the Pearl and the Curve are nearly identical. If you are looking for an easily pocketable Blackberry that comes in a phone-like form factor, the Pearl is it. The smaller size does mean some compromises though - a smaller screen and a SureType keyboard. SureType is one of those things that you either love or hate, some swear by it, others swear at it. If you're coming from a dumb phone, it's probably easier to pick up than if you're coming from a smartphone with full QWERTY. The Curve is slightly wider, but will give you a bigger screen and full QWERTY keyboard. It also has 96mb of memory vs 64mb on the Pearl. It looks and feels more like a traditional Blackberry.
    Oh yes biggest thing of all... 32 MB's more memory on Curve. Anybody who has spent a couple of days here on CB can tell you how important memory is.
    07-18-08 12:20 AM
    Thank YOu!

is the BlackBerry Pearl 8130 the newest PEaRL model?
    07-18-08 12:23 AM
    The 8130 is the only CDMA version of the Pearl. The 8100, 8110 and 8120 are all GSM.
    07-18-08 12:23 AM
    ummm BBGuy u lost me....CDMA?...GSM??
    What is that?
    07-18-08 12:24 AM
    Yeah depends on which carrier you're with.
    CMDA is like Verizon and Sprint, no SIM cards.
    GSM is AT&T and T-Mobile.
    07-18-08 12:26 AM
    yo, the curve is a must you will buy the pearl and wish you didnt if you want to stay occupied, texting or bb messenger is the way and the larger screen and qwerty keyboard make it so much easier! so do your eyes a favor and get the curve your gonna spend the money anyway right?
    07-18-08 12:28 AM
    yo, the curve is a must you will buy the pearl and wish you didnt if you want to stay occupied, texting or bb messenger is the way and the larger screen and qwerty keyboard make it so much easier! so do your eyes a favor and get the curve your gonna spend the money anyway right?
    I agree; my first BB was the original Pearl. I've had 2 Pearls and 2 Curves but now that I've had the Curve I could never go back to the Pearl!
    07-18-08 12:30 AM
    I got the the pearl and I love it. That said it is my first BB. But it fees nicer in my hand and in my pocket. I would tell you to go to the store and play with both of them. Because you will be the one paying the bill. You can't go wrong with either one. My friend swears by her curve and I swear my my pearl. Its personal preference I think

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-18-08 12:44 AM
    Aside from the obvious hardware differences, the Pearl and the Curve function very much the same,
    07-18-08 12:45 AM
    ummm BBGuy u lost me....CDMA?...GSM??
    What is that?
    Pretty much what Brooke03 said.
    They're the 2 cell standards in North America. If you're on Sprint there's only 1 model of the Pearl and Curve to pick from, 8130 and 8330 respectively, in their various colours.
    07-18-08 12:49 AM
    Your best bet is to go in a play around with both as suggested. That said, I purchased the sprint pearl in March and I love it. However, lately I've wondered if I made a mistake passing on the larger screen and full keyboard of the curve....even though the curve wasn't available at the time.

07-18-08 02:04 AM
    I have a Pearl, my wife has a curve, we both love our phones. There are two main differences between the Pearl and the Curve.

First is size; the pearl is a bit smaller, and I bought mine because I love the form factor.

Second, and probably more important, is the keyboard. The Curve has a full qwerty keyboard which a lot of people find easier to type on. The Pearl has a modified qwerty keyboard with 2 letters per key. It uses the suretype feature where the phone figures out what word you are trying to type. I am a very poor typist so I like suretype. My son is a great typist and does well with syretype. Some people hate it. Also because of the keyboard layout the Pearl doesn't have all of the keyboard shortcuts the Curve has, and lacks a soft reset.

For me they are both great phones, without reservation go out and get one today (unless you want to hold out for the Bold with 3G data capability.

Good luck with your decision.
    07-18-08 06:35 AM
    got the pearl and within 2 weeks handed it to my son and got the curve. So much easier to type and larger screen to read. Don't make a decision based on cost. Big mistake.
    07-18-08 07:04 AM
    If you gonna use your device as a work horse like most of us, i.e emails, web browsing, mobile office apps then the curve is a better choice because of its large screen and keyboard type. However if you use your device more for its phone capabilities and your bread and butter doesn't depend on you receiving or sending emails from the middle of nowhere then the pearl is a better choice. You will be able to dial unfamiliar numbers faster lol
    07-18-08 07:37 AM
    This type of thread comes up pretty often; should I buy a BB or Curve vs. Pearl. Anyone else think these threads ought to be a sticky?
    07-18-08 07:48 AM
    Thank u all so much I decided to buy a PEARL...smaller, and more feminine i guess LOL
    07-18-08 02:04 PM
    My wife loves hers.

07-18-08 02:13 PM
    i'm with sprint too. your age. and i got a pearl. you will love it
    07-18-08 02:32 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD