It's a thought that instead of RIM licensing BB10 in the future they should soon and aggressively license BBOS to penatrate the low end of the market. The high end is what RIM needs to keep close to their chest (perhaps) but the low end needs a clear strategy. In emerging markets around the world RIM is in more of a fight with android than apple and thats due to price point. BB10 won't help much in that regard.
    If BBOS is licensed out like android with BBM and other RIM services could this be a way to compete in the emerging low end smart phone market?
    It's also a way to get BBM onto other hand sets.
    I can't see why this won't work. This could be a huge win/win for RIM, as well as a way for RIM to start its relationship with other handset manufacturers for access to BB10 and beyond.
    Last edited by Dapper37; 02-22-12 at 10:47 PM.
    02-22-12 10:42 PM
    isnt BBOS on the curve type series low end enough for these places? its been doing pretty damn good anywhere but the US i would think. You think BBOS would sell better on Nokia or similar hardware?
    02-22-12 10:56 PM
    Up to this point I would agree. Going forward against android they might need a similar strategy whereby they have the mass market share in OS penitration.
    Standing still make no sense. Why should they not want to. Going from a feature phone to smart phone doesn't have to happen in one step.
    02-22-12 11:02 PM
    I'm glad this was brought up. RIM's plan is to make BB10 successful and if it makes sense, they will license it.

That is a great idea. Even though it will take time. But they should definitely make it successful. Because there has to be a demand for it in order for it to be successful as a licensed OS. Just look at WP7.

And Android is the only OS that manufacturers look to when making a phone. And the smartphone market is still growing. So the amount of manufacturers making phones will just be increasing. I hope RIM does license it. Just when it's ready and successful.

Especially in an era where our phones are becoming these little computers in your pocket. Just look at how Apple did vs Microsoft in the desktop computer era.

EDIT: Oops. I was assuming BBOS = BB10.
    Last edited by mithrazor; 02-23-12 at 12:30 AM.
    02-23-12 12:26 AM
    Looking at this from the perspective of an up and coming Asian manufacturer, why would they choose Blackberry OS over android? Even if you assume the manufacturer must pay Microsoft's royalties, wouldn't that still be the better choice?

With Android you get an app platform. Just because buyers have less money or aren't willing to spend as freely, that doesn't mean they don't want apps. So why would a manufacturer throw away that capability for a different OS that is probably not going to be any cheaper? (and might in fact cost their customers more in monthly fees)

With Google of course you're relying on one of the best engineering teams in the world. Not just the best software team up in the Ontario, Canada area, but one of the best software teams in the entire world. And an OS that comes with a complete SDK, tons of real world deployment experience at different price points, and a roadmap for the future. All of this from a company in zero danger of being bought or broken up (hostile or otherwise), with a market cap of nearly $200 billion and a dominant market share almost everywhere in the world now.

Google also isn't licensing old Android while they also work on some other modern OS for themselves. They are 100% behind Android, which happens to already be the most popular OS on the planet, and so as a manufacturer wouldn't that be the better choice still?

On the other hand, RIM clearly has their hands full just trying to get BB10 finished and BB10.1, etc., after that. Having bitten off that much already, how much focus will BB7 really get in terms of future enhancements? Haven't they already essentially announced to the world that BB7 is the past and BB10 is their future?

Of course all will be different if RIM could undercut Google on price. But even with the Microsoft tax, how is that possible?
    Last edited by app_Developer; 02-23-12 at 01:06 AM.
    02-23-12 12:59 AM
    Sounds like a good idea. Manufacturers may be looking for other options.
    02-23-12 01:26 AM
    Good points. The smartphone market is still young. Look how well androind did in such a short period of time. If BBos was free and open to future development from other oem's why not. Its already good enough for any entry level device. After RIM no longer has to hamper the development due to security it could be a good android alternative. It could also have BBM, one of the most usfull tools on a smartphone in emerging markets.
    02-23-12 01:27 AM
    Think about China alone. RIM could work with the new and emerging phone makers from there and start to grow the OS base.
    I don't know how android is doing in China but I understand Google has had issues. Chinas HUAWEI is currently building out the telco networks in Canada. It could go both ways.
    Does anyone believe that the loyalty to android is so entrenched at Samsung, htc, Lg and the rest considering the recent purchase of motorolo. Each one of those hand set makers should lessen the power of android, when the opportunity arises. Imo.
    Last edited by Dapper37; 02-23-12 at 03:15 AM.
    02-23-12 01:31 AM
    If you have a spare operating system laying around, what's the harm.
    02-23-12 08:07 AM
    I think low end blackberries like the curve sell mainly because of brand recognition and not so much because of the os.
    02-23-12 09:11 AM
    I think RIM has pretty much proven that BBOS is not a viable OS, they are having a difficult time selling device with it. Why would anyone else want it?

Kind of think that they are making a mistake keeping it alive on their lower end devices. You'll have companies considering making a custom app for customers to access their sites - say a Bank or Media Service. What OS do they support? Will they support both BB10 and BBOS - or will RIM having two OS dilute their marketshare so much that no one will care about BlackBerry anymore? (yes I know HTML5 is the future and will do away with many of these Apps - but we aren't there yet)

Of course it was a DUMB move on their part to require BB10 to use dual core processor, it means that RIM is stuck with BBOS for at least a couple of years.
    Last edited by Dunt Dunt Dunt; 02-23-12 at 02:28 PM.
    02-23-12 09:28 AM
    Of course it was a DUMB move on their part to require BB10 to use dual core processor, it means that RIM is stuck with BBOS for at least a couple of years.
    On the contrary, I think that's great, it sets the bar high for their future product, it also means that when the curve and tour line get bb10 they will be very capable phones at a low price, should be able to compete very nicely with low end android phones.
    02-23-12 11:00 AM
    On the contrary, I think that's great, it sets the bar high for their future product, it also means that when the curve and tour line get bb10 they will be very capable phones at a low price, should be able to compete very nicely with low end android phones.

If RIM were to release a Curve with dual core processor next year it would be a "very capable" devices, but low cost it would not be. RIM would price themselves out of the lower price points (they are starting to see pressure as it is).

As I understand it RIM's plan to compete is to continue to produce BBOS phones, for who knows how long. Which will dilute their overall marketshare, and mean that they will have to support two DIFFERENT OS ecosystems.

QNX didn't require this, it was RIM's BB10 OS that required it... Not a very smart move (IMHO).

Don't see how having two ecosystems for the next couple of years is a plus???
    02-23-12 01:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD