I was just thinking with the possible chance of an android blackberry device being released this year would it make sense for BlackBerry to rebrand the device and not associate it with the blackberry name at all. If it is going to be a purely consumer play then I feel like this could be the right move especially to help sell the phones in markets where the word blackberry is hated. What do you all think?

Posted via CB10
    06-13-15 02:42 PM
    Would be a good idea.

Posted via CB10
    06-13-15 02:52 PM
    It doesn't matter what name they change to, I don't see the point of supporting Blackberry any further if they went Android. I moved away from Android because I don't find anything appealing about it. Most likely I will go with Windows or iOS after which are far superior then Android.
    Chrisy and Joao Oliveira like this.
    06-13-15 02:57 PM
    I posted before that they should never have changed the name from RIM to Blackberry. Now that the the focus is on the enterprise, security and software they would be better off not associating with the name Blackberry. Don't get me wrong, I own a Classic and a Passport and they are excellent products. It's just that nobody wants these phones anymore and when they see one there is usually a negative comment. Blackberry is best for me so I don't care what people think. I am just pointing out the facts.

Posted via CB10
    Chrisy likes this.
    06-13-15 03:06 PM
    I was just thinking with the possible chance of an android blackberry device being released this year would it make sense for BlackBerry to rebrand the device and not associate it with the blackberry name at all. If it is going to be a purely consumer play then I feel like this could be the right move especially to help sell the phones in markets where the word blackberry is hated. What do you all think?

Posted via CB10
    I say keep the Blackberry name, but I understand the rationale.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    06-13-15 03:08 PM
    It doesn't matter what name they change to, I don't see the point of supporting Blackberry any further if they went Android. I moved away from Android because I don't find anything appealing about it. Most likely I will go with Windows or iOS after which are far superior then Android.
    Okay, good luck and enjoy.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    06-13-15 03:09 PM
    So what they gonna call it? Wimbfloor, twoxfour, susaunt?
    The brand is the brand tainted or not it's still got a hell of a lot of value and if you're going to flog product in the market you practically created you're gonna wanna use your name. It's fine to be fourth in a four horse race if you are still making money, you think burger king are too bothered being fourth behind macdonalds kfc and subway? Everyone has a place in the market so long as you have relevance and return a dividend you don't have to be recognised by average Joe buys a soda.

Posted via CB10
    06-13-15 04:15 PM

Posted via CB10
    Question.... why in the hell do you own a BlackBerry???

Posted via my awesome Classic
    acovey and Joao Oliveira like this.
    06-13-15 05:12 PM

I own a BlackBerry because I personally love the brand and very close connections to it living in WATERLOO, ONTARIO. Although I LOVE the brand most consumers do not which is why I was suggesting a rebrand for ONLY the ANDROID phone they might release.
    06-13-15 08:45 PM

And, what the hell kind of question is that?

The OP simply asked a theoretical question. Nothing about the question had any bearing on the the OP's choice of device.

Posted via CB10
    06-13-15 09:09 PM
    They absolutely should rebrand. BlackBerry is a major toxic brand in the US. Rightly so or not, that is the way it is. It's an uphill battle they should not fight. They should adopt the name QNX.

Posted via CB10
    06-13-15 10:31 PM
    Sorry to say but that's completely a dumb idea, people are really so extra outside of the US Bb isn't a bad name as most Americans would like to pan it out as.

Send from the amazing powers of the  Z30
    06-13-15 10:41 PM
    Another name change may seem desperate IMO. It gives the impression BlackBerry keeps changing names without offering anything innovative, hoping that people are blind to what's really going on.

If BlackBerry can offer something new that gets enterprise and/or consumers' attention, considering BB's reputation in security, having the name "BlackBerry" might actually be a positive!
    Chrisy likes this.
    06-13-15 11:23 PM
    What totally gets me is the fact that people make statements without considering the facts or implications. Per OP, BlackBerry must release a new phone under a new name that is totally disassociated with the brand BlackBerry and that phone must run Android (and make money)?

IMO a new phone and a new brand in the Android market hoping to stand out and make a profit to help turning BlackBerry around is simply too far fetched to contemplate. Doing a quick search on the Google Play website leads to this list of current supported Google Play devices (https://storage.googleapis.com/suppo...4325CFEB66F959 ). The document is 271 pages full of current supported devices in list format. Good luck OP with your proposal.

Z10 STL100-1, OS 10.3.2.xxxx
    06-13-15 11:29 PM
    I think this is a great question! Hope more people chime in...

Posted via CB10
    06-13-15 11:31 PM
    I own a BlackBerry because I personally love the brand and very close connections to it living in WATERLOO, ONTARIO. Although I LOVE the brand most consumers do not which is why I was suggesting a rebrand for ONLY the ANDROID phone they might release.
    I'd like to see the BlackBerry brand survive as well. I'm not as distraught at the thought of Android as I might have been a year ago, but I agree that those phones should be produced under a different "imprint", if you will. Particularly since I'm guessing they'd be aimed at a younger audience.
    06-13-15 11:32 PM
    Most people don't even know BlackBerry is still making phones. If they release an Android phone with good specs, and if they actually do some marketing, and if they actually have them in stores for people to try and buy, and if it's priced properly, then I don't think the brand will matter. Lots of ifs that I'm not sure BB will invest in if they don't care about the consumer market, and in that case, branding matters even less. IMO (gotta state the obvious).
    iatansaldanha and MikeX74 like this.
    06-13-15 11:36 PM
    Most Americans, sad to say, simply follow what's in, like sheep. Samsung or apple. Most don't even know what the hell os they run. I want to look at iphone or samsung please. What's lg? What's HTC? What's motorola? Don't they make police walkie talkies? Windows makes a phone? How's the camera on the Samsung for my next snapchat?

I just threw up in my mouth a little.

Posted via CB10
    madman0141 likes this.
    06-14-15 01:13 AM
    If your son or daughter had a bad reputation at school and was doing poorly in exams, would you change his/her name?

I'm pretty sure this was (roughly) Chen's reply when he was asked (many months ago) about changing the BlackBerry name. Although, I can't reference this quote.

Posted via CB10
    06-14-15 02:38 AM
    Most Americans, sad to say, simply follow what's in, like sheep. Samsung or apple. Most don't even know what the hell os they run. I want to look at iphone or samsung please. What's lg? What's HTC? What's motorola? Don't they make police walkie talkies? Windows makes a phone? How's the camera on the Samsung for my next snapchat?

I just threw up in my mouth a little.

Posted via CB10
    Generalize much?
    rlnv likes this.
    06-14-15 03:41 AM
    What is stopping them to make right mix of Touch/Type phones based on BB10 OS with proper Android runtime ?
    What is stopping them so they are not doing aggressive marketing of current lineup ?
    Why they are not promoting much better Z30 even when the 10.2.3 is out and the phone is far better than so called Leap ?
    And see how fast Android OS is evolving and so is hardware ! Is BlackBerry ready to catch Android bandwagon with limited vision which virtually hates popular sentiments ?
    So nothing changes until attitude changes.
    There are lots of decently priced Android slabs with good specification and no Android lover going to buy a over priced BB Android phone just because of BlackBerry brand.
    Last edited by Fool Guy; 06-14-15 at 09:05 AM.
    markus2107 likes this.
    06-14-15 05:07 AM
    Generalize? I don't think so. Most people just buy Samsung because that's the brand they know. And some know that Iphones are expensive, some think they are stylish and some think Apple has a pact with the devil.

Yes I know this is not true for everyone, but the majority thinks so!
    06-14-15 05:23 AM
    They absolutely should rebrand. BlackBerry is a major toxic brand in the US. Rightly so or not, that is the way it is. It's an uphill battle they should not fight. They should adopt the name QNX.

Posted via CB10
    Rebrand a toxic product? Hmmmmm! Let's see. If we're to rebrand the Microsoft Zune and call it something else, do you think consumers would suddenly flock to it?

Posted via CB10
    06-14-15 08:35 AM
    Nope. BlackBerry should concentrate on turning public perception around with marketing.

Posted via CB10
    06-14-15 08:43 AM
    I've never liked the name BB10. Would like to see a real brand name for the OS.

Posted via CB10
    06-14-15 08:46 AM
46 12