Since BlackBerry made it clear that it only targets mobile professionals that rely on their phones for their work

So if is that the concept shouldn't Blackberry start producing phones upon profession needs

For instance: BlackBerry Passport for the writers that write books, novels, long newspaper articles etc...

Posted via CB10
    04-05-15 08:44 AM
    They won't release devices targeted at specific professions. However, they may release devices that are ideal for certain fields like the Passport for the medical field.
    anon(9188202) likes this.
    04-05-15 09:00 AM
    I would love to see and use a BlackBerry which is waterproofed and ruggedized similar to Samsung Rugby LTE. I work in trades and think that such a build could be very marketable.

Posted via CB10
    anon(9188202) likes this.
    04-05-15 09:10 AM
    I would love to see and use a BlackBerry which is waterproofed and ruggedized similar to Samsung Rugby LTE. I work in trades and think that such a build could be very marketable.
    That's actually long overdue.
    04-05-15 09:11 AM
    You're describing a "niche-centric" business model. This only works if you have a successful brand and can build huge margins into your devices.
    Otherwise you will never be able to successfully monetize the niche. At the same time, if your niche devices are still competing with mass-produced i phones and Android devices it will be very difficult to make money doing this.

I know they tried with passport but they kept their inventories really low and only jump-started them when they realized there was some consumer interest in this device.
    04-05-15 09:14 AM
    Since BlackBerry made it clear that it only targets mobile professionals that rely on their phones for their work

So if is that the concept shouldn't Blackberry start producing phones upon profession needs

For instance: BlackBerry Passport for the writers that write books, novels, long newspaper articles etc...

Posted via CB10
    Why would someone choose the Passport to write something of length? Is it the easiest and most ergonomically friendly way to type? I could see the Classic being used here but not the Passport.
    04-05-15 11:03 AM
    Why would someone choose the Passport to write something of length? Is it the easiest and most ergonomically friendly way to type? I could see the Classic being used here but not the Passport.
    Because of the large screen. Also since it does have a physical keyboard so typing will be better than a touch screen phone.

Q5SQR100-3/10.3.1.2243
    04-05-15 11:25 AM
    Because of the large screen. Also since it does have a physical keyboard so typing will be better than a touch screen phone.

Q5SQR100-3/10.3.1.2243
    I'd disagree. Many people type better on a virtual keyboard. Maybe 3 or 4 years ago when virtual keyboards weren't very good, but not any more.
    04-05-15 11:35 AM

Posted via CB10
    IMO, isn't that what the apps (should) do? - personalize your device for your specific needs, be it work or play ?

Posted via CB10
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    04-05-15 11:39 AM
    The Passport has the most ergonomically incorrect keyboard in mobile.
    04-05-15 04:19 PM
    The Passport has the most ergonomically incorrect keyboard in mobile.
    Why this?

�   Passposted while waiting for the Z-lider....   �
    04-05-15 04:46 PM
    Why this?
    Hard to reach the outer keys while holding it with two hands. Can't imagine typing a novel on it.
    04-05-15 05:15 PM
    They won't release devices targeted at specific professions. However, they may release devices that are ideal for certain fields like the Passport for the medical field.
    Making a phone ideal for the medical field requires the right apps....not a physical keyboard. In fact for most medical applications a keyboard steals valuable screen real estate.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-15 05:31 PM
    Making a phone ideal for the medical field requires the right apps....not a physical keyboard. In fact for most medical applications a keyboard steals valuable screen real estate.
    I was referring to the square display.

But you're right about the apps. That's why iPad is embedded in medical.
    04-05-15 05:34 PM
    BBRY already has a problem selling devices in decent quantity to general fields. Developing devices tailored to specific fields would kill them in development. The way to make money on hardware, is to be able to do bulk manufacturing device runs to make the cost vs revenue worthwhile. BBRY has already cut their device manufacturing runs to a bare minimum to ensure they don't lose money. Fragment that process for yet more multiple devices, and they'll lose money again.

Better they tailor devices for a general audience than try to manufacture numerous models each catering to a very small/limited demographic for specific needs. The R&D would kill them otherwise.

Via Tapatalk
    04-05-15 05:48 PM
    Reply to Donnation - Yup. I also wonder about spreadsheet work which I hear all the time. No way I'd work on my spreadsheets with a puny screen phone with thousands of records. Besides, my spreadsheets requires macros and pivot tables that works with Access which I doubt are available on phone and even if they were, not powerful enough. I'm having enough trouble working on a 10.5" Surface Pro 2 on vacation, prefer my 27" monitor. Real work gets done on a Desktop or large screen laptop. I would only use a phone on emergency and even then, I'd be afraid to strain my eyes.
    04-05-15 05:57 PM
    Reply to Donnation - Yup. I also wonder about spreadsheet work which I hear all the time. No way I'd work on my spreadsheets with a puny screen phone with thousands of records. Besides, my spreadsheets requires macros and pivot tables that works with Access which I doubt are available on phone and even if they were, not powerful enough. I'm having enough trouble working on a 10.5" Surface Pro 2 on vacation, prefer my 27" monitor. Real work gets done on a Desktop or large screen laptop. I would only use a phone on emergency and even then, I'd be afraid to strain my eyes.
    I think for viewing spreadsheets it offers a marginal benefit over a more common slab screen, but I feel the same way. To do any real work on one would require zooming in and out anyway so I don't think its that much of a benefit that people make it out to be here, the screen is just still too small. But typing a novel on the Passport would be a laborious task that I can't even imagine attempting to do. I've had my second Passport 4 two months and there is no way I'll ever type as fast on it or more comfortably on it than a virtual keyboard or on a keyboard like the Classic has. Its just not possible unless you have gargantuan hands. I'm 6'5 and have fairly large hands and its still a task to try and type at a decent speed on it comfortably.
    04-05-15 07:37 PM
    I disagree, the Passport has been the best typing experience i've ever had on a device I'm switching to a Classic very soon and I'm not sure if the Classic will be able to match it. I'll have to wait and find out.
    04-05-15 08:32 PM
    I disagree, the Passport has been the best typing experience i've ever had on a device I'm switching to a Classic very soon and I'm not sure if the Classic will be able to match it. I'll have to wait and find out.
    Out of curiosity why are you switching to the Classic?
    04-05-15 08:34 PM
    I disagree, the Passport has been the best typing experience i've ever had on a device I'm switching to a Classic very soon and I'm not sure if the Classic will be able to match it.
    Why switch from the most powerful BlackBerry ever to an underpowered one?
    04-05-15 08:36 PM
    I think for viewing spreadsheets it offers a marginal benefit over a more common slab screen, but I feel the same way. To do any real work on one would require zooming in and out anyway so I don't think its that much of a benefit that people make it out to be here, the screen is just still too small. But typing a novel on the Passport would be a laborious task that I can't even imagine attempting to do. I've had my second Passport 4 two months and there is no way I'll ever type as fast on it or more comfortably on it than a virtual keyboard or on a keyboard like the Classic has. Its just not possible unless you have gargantuan hands. I'm 6'5 and have fairly large hands and its still a task to try and type at a decent speed on it comfortably.
    Even for editing on the phone for me is difficult. I edit over 35 articles a day and doing that on a phone is an eyestrain. I always go back to my SPro2 or desktop where I increase the Font size to 14. The only time I edit stories on a phone is when I'm in the train on my way to work. But I often wonder what's the point if I can do it faster and eye-strain free at the office. My eyes are too valuable in the long run to degrade just to edit a few stories during transit
    04-05-15 08:56 PM