Okay everyone,

So question with Windows apparently approaching HTC to build a phone that is dual Android and Windows 8, would you like to see Blackberry attempt to do the same things? I would love if my HTC One would run BB10.

Plus I think BBRY would maybe have an easier time convincing HTC or other makers of Android devices as BBRY already has the infostructure to run Android Apps.

Secondly, is it still possible BBRY simply begins producing Android phones, and just gloss over the stock Android software and put bits and pieces of BB10 into the android device? Look we all may not see this as ideal, but look what it did for Samsung.

Thoughts?
    10-04-13 07:58 AM
    Should people search topics before posting the same questions over and over and over again, thinking they are the first ones to come up with a wonderful new thought.

Posted via CB10
    jstirtzinger likes this.
    10-04-13 08:05 AM
    So question with Windows apparently approaching HTC to build a phone that is dual Android and Windows 8,
    What? Can you elaborate on that? Post a link perhaps
    10-04-13 08:10 AM
    Should people search topics before posting the same questions over and over and over again, thinking they are the first ones to come up with a wonderful new thought.

Posted via CB10
    Hey guy, the Windows, HTC proposition is NEW! As in new as of the past 2 days, so this hasn't been done before. And secondly this is a topic that can be revisited several times as the landscape for Blackberry continues to change.

You obviously took the time to follow the link and read my post, so if it was so overdone why didn't you just skip it over. Dink.
    10-04-13 08:11 AM
    Is Microsoft Finally Allowing HTC to Build Dual-Booting Phones With Windows & Android?
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    10-04-13 08:12 AM
    Microsoft wants HTC's Android phones to dual-boot into Windows Phone | Android Central
    I believe that this will be something you won't see for a while...if ever. Sounds like a great idea and would be cool, but the realities of either booting one or the other OS, or having a virtual system with both running at the same time.... would be complicated to say the least. Yes it could work, just not sure how it would impact hardware performance and user experience. And if it were a great idea... why is MS going to HTC to "try" it. Why don't they do it with their own hardware division?

As for BlackBerry running Android... it's been discussed before. It would fix the app problem, but not the how do you differentiate yourself from all of the other Android OEM that are already losing money. How do you compete with Samsung who has the scale and components to undercut even your cost.

It's too late for plan B.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    I believe that this will be something you won't see for a while...if ever. Sounds like a great idea and would be cool, but the realities of either booting one or the other OS, or having a virtual system with both running at the same time.... would be complicated to say the least. Yes it could work, just not sure how it would impact hardware performance and user experience. And if it were a great idea... why is MS going to HTC to "try" it. Why don't they do it with their own hardware division?

As for BlackBerry running Android... it's been discussed before. It would fix the app problem, but not the how do you differentiate yourself from all of the other Android OEM that are already losing money. How do you compete with Samsung who has the scale and components to undercut even your cost.

It's too late for plan B.
    While I agree it seems it would be quite the undertaking (for any company not just BBRY), and I don't know the logistics behind it, but BBRY already has the option of switching from enterprise to consumer on their phones. Why couldn't they build the same thing, have a portion of the phone that has BBRY10 deeply intergrated (security, business orientated) and then the consumer side which would allow intergration of android / android apps and then some dashes of BB10.

I truly believe companies and even people want security, I just don't think it is more important to the everyday person than say apps.
    wincyUt and needforbbx like this.
    10-04-13 08:19 AM
    While I agree it seems it would be quite the undertaking (for any company not just BBRY), and I don't know the logistics behind it, but BBRY already has the option of switching from enterprise to consumer on their phones. Why couldn't they build the same thing, have a portion of the phone that has BBRY10 deeply intergrated (security, business orientated) and then the consumer side which would allow intergration of android / android apps and then some dashes of BB10.

I truly believe companies and even people want security, I just don't think it is more important to the everyday person than say apps.
    BB10 was designed and built with the concept of Balance in mind -- securely having business and personal on one device. Adding the capability to Android would be, well, adding it to a notoriously unsecure platform. It's been talked about on Android, but to my knowledge it has yet to be delivered. Nothing personal, but I thought BB using Android was a dumb idea when it was first brought up, and I still do.
    10-04-13 10:07 AM
    I used to despise when I would hear people say "too little, too late" about Blackberry; however I think that is just the case now. I think that with the delay of BB10...twice, not bringing Playbook to BB10 after promising it, delay of BBM cross Platform, and their brilliant idea that lack of advertising is the way to stay relevant and known in the world, has all created a HORRIBLE name for the company.

I think that Blackberry could of been successful without even selling hardware and just being a software company. People left Blackberry to go to Apple or Android because of apps and phone functionality not lack of security and messaging and that is Blackberry's bread and butter. With that said though I think there is zero chance of them being successful at it now because the entire company is looked at as incompetent and a joke and well they are.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-04-13 10:18 AM
    Nope. Android is a one trick pony. Any hardware vendor can make an android phone and the winner is going to be the guy that can make a profit (so far that is Samsung). Recently reported is HTC showing a loss.
    10-04-13 10:22 AM
    Never

BlackBerry & Nintendo Alliance. Bring Pokmon to BlackBerry 10.
    10-04-13 10:29 AM
    Why would MS want them to make a dual boot phone? Are they afraid app developers are ignoring them also? I only see a dual booting phone for those who like to use different platforms so they don't have to carry 2 phones to do it.
    10-04-13 10:34 AM
    If I could get a dual boot Android/Windows phone I would serious give it a try especially if it came in the HTC One phone.

If they allowed to separate profiles Android for personal use and Windows for work it could work out great from a lot of people.
    10-04-13 11:14 AM
    Hoping on security alone isn't a "mass appealing" trump card like how apple wow-ed its potential customers with its on screen keyboard.

If you take things in totality, I have always argued that blackberry would still lose out, and may have bled to death in about 3 months had they decided to go full android route back then pre bb os 10.

Sent from my A500 using CB Forums mobile app
    10-04-13 01:57 PM
    Microsoft's idea is too novel to copy cat. I say lets see how it plays out first and then, if its a success, Blackberry could jump in the game. I am skeptical Blackberry has the influence or expertise to broker such an elaborate deal.

And if it were a great idea... why is MS going to HTC to "try" it. Why don't they do it with their own hardware division?
    Because...

1/ Microsoft doesn't want to support Android. If Microsoft ever did this, Windows Phone would be dead. If HTC did it, then its like HTC extending an olive branch since they make primarily Android devices.
    2/ Microsoft wants to retain OEMs. It doesn't want to have a monopoly in the Windows Phone hardware business forever even if Windows Phone turns into a respectable 3rd. (Microsoft will if it has to; but, it would much rather be a software company.) Dual booting is a concession for Android OEMs.

Either way, I do think having two OSes on the same phone is a horrible idea. Its a confusing concept for consumers. I'm still of the opinion that the article is misinterpreted and Microsoft just want HTC to make some HTC Ones with Windows Phone installed instead of Android.
    richardat likes this.
    10-04-13 02:03 PM
    Now I've seen dual boot Android/Windows computers (ASUS - ASUS Transformer AiO P1801 - All-in-One PCs - ASUS), but not entirely sure how it would work on a phone.

In theory, it sounds good - your personal/play space would be android and enterprise/secure space would be BB10
    10-04-13 02:23 PM
    Hell no they shouldn't

Posted with my Q10!
    10-04-13 03:06 PM
    If I wanted an Android I would buy an S4, but I don't want and Android so I drive a Z10. All the apps not in BlackBerry World that I actually use have been sideloaded anyway to run on the Android runtime. And that is only. Google Maps and Yahoo Sports
    10-04-13 03:14 PM
    I saw this news and a discussion on another community. I remarked what the big deal was. BB10 kind of does this on one OS through side-loading (albeit kind of an exploit). Besides that, having a true dual boot would mean settings up all your accounts, settings and apps (duplicate purchases) on both platforms, leading to a device with two different user interfaces/experiences, separate file systems, separate desktop sync, separate app stores. Rebooting the device every time you want to use a certain function. Just feels like way too much effort for marginal benefits, especially because a lot of "functional" apps/services are cross-platform already.

My vote will always go to the "sandbox" type of dual OS that BB10 has now. If it is ever possible to expand on its functionality (like Google Services), that kind of update would be more than enough for me.

(Needless to say I was ripped a new one on that other community for mentioning the BB-word... sigh)
    10-08-13 08:57 PM
    They could come out with a tweaked version of the Droid OS for the Enterprise side of things.
    Tweaked to work better with BlackBerry backend services. Make it more secure.
    Companies with BYOD could require this BlackBerry/Droid OS on phones within its BYOD system.

This combined with seeding Z10s for next to nothing for large Enterprise BES10 installs could help bring in some cash flow as well as positive exposure.

Posted via CB10 on my Verizon Z10. 10.2.0.1725
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    10-08-13 09:07 PM
    Bit late now. It would require a considerable amount of time, money and effort to do an android fork. We'd have to wait ages for the first handset of a new OS all over again. Terrible idea. What's done is done.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-13 07:29 AM
    It's my understanding that the BlackBerry 10 is using a android engine, I've read 2 articles on this site. Any thoughts on this?

Posted via CB10
    10-09-13 09:54 AM
    certainly not! I buy blackberry because of its OS system.
    If I want android I can buy one out of the several brands using it!

Sent from my Z30
    10-09-13 12:12 PM
    It's my understanding that the BlackBerry 10 is using a android engine, I've read 2 articles on this site. Any thoughts on this?
    I think you may be confusing the runtime engine that makes it possible to side load Android apps on a BB10 device with the core structure of BB10 itself. The BB10 OS is not based on Android.
    10-09-13 12:28 PM
29 12