After recently coming to the realization that iPhone sales are primarily high because of trends and style, not necessarily function. Although the iPhone is a very functional phone for the most part, it's not it's strongest selling point.

Now this thread is not about iPhone vs BlackBerry and bashing eachother. If it becomes that I hope it gets shut down.

What I'm really interested in is should BlackBerry give these top trendsetters free phones in order promote the brand as trendy and stylish. Now obviously this would have to be done carefully as to not negatively promote the brand, but really I don't think the BlackBerry brand can get much worse anyway.

Now just walking up to these people and giving them free BlackBerry phones is to me not the best idea. It has to have something else with it to encourage them to use it and not look desperate. Maybe bring in some kind of charity option. Any ideas?

Again no iPhone bashing.

( yes I had to Google this list)

Jennifer Lopez
    Michelle Obama
    Kate Middleton
    Angelina Jolie
    Eva Longoria
    Rihanna
    Kylie and Kendall Jenner
    Beyonce
    Lauren Conrad
    Miley Cyrus
    Victoria Beckham
    Gwen Stefani
    Tyra Banks
    Elle MacPherson
    Heidi Klum
    Sarah Jessica Parker
    Pippa Middleton
    Jaclyn Smith
    Giuliana Rancic
    Ciara
    Kendall Jenner
    Kerry Washington
    Blake Lively
    Cindy Crawford
    Katy Perry
    Garcelle Beauvais
    Kelly Rowland
    Halle Berry
    Jennifer Aniston
    Nicole Scherzinger
    Nicole Richie
    Pink

David Gandy
    Tinie Tempah
    Justin Timberlake
    Pharrell Williams
    Alex Turner
    Oliver Cheshire
    Yo
    Sean ?Diddy? Combs
    Macklemore
    Usher
    Jay Z
    David Beckham
    Will.i.am.
    Drake
    RuPaul
    David Bowie
    Prince
    Pitbull
    Taye Diggs
    Antonio ?L.A.? Reid
    Lenny Kravitz
    Robin Thicke
    Will Smith
    Nelly
    Johnny Depp
    Psy
    T.I.
    Tony Hawk
    Adam Levine

Zed30
    03-08-14 01:41 AM
    It is called a paid endorser.....These people do not take a sip of water unless someone is paying them to do so. I see nothing wrong with it if that is your target demographic... I don't think that the celebs will attract the customer Blackberry is looking for. I think that BB should focus on the business sector. I don't think that BB will ever be the "next" iPhone ...Just my opinion
    03-08-14 03:06 AM
    It is called a paid endorser.....These people do not take a sip of water unless someone is paying them to do so. I see nothing wrong with it if that is your target demographic... I don't think that the celebs will attract the customer Blackberry is looking for. I think that BB should focus on the business sector. I don't think that BB will ever be the "next" iPhone ...Just my opinion
    Indeed and why would these people even consider using it if they enjoy their iPhone/android?
    It'll end up in the garbage in 5 minutes.
    03-08-14 03:12 AM
    Some of these celebs already have Blackberries, and already talk about it and they make everyone know that. For example David Gandy actually mentioned the Q10 in his 10 essentials for GQ magazine.

Posted via my Q10 | LG GPAD 8.3
    Sexy Sadie likes this.
    03-08-14 03:20 AM
    Celebrities aren't trendsetters when it comes to technology. The general public respects their opinions with regards to fashion; but, most celebrities are not perceived as particularly intelligent/tech savvy individuals.

Blackberry would be better off handing Blackberries out to Harvard or Stanford students. Prestigious universities are actually the place where many cultural trends sprout from. Facebook, Snapchat, etc.
    Sexy Sadie, potatoguy and bob_tn like this.
    03-08-14 03:49 AM
    Blackberry is already the phone of the 1% in America a very high percentage of celebs and businessmen use it compared to the rest of the population. Kim Kardashian, Kayne West, Leo Decaprio, Ben Afflect, Barack Obama, Usian Bolt, Christina Ronaldo, Paris and Nickie Hilton, Rihanna, Bradley cooper, Puff Daddy etc etc... however i don't think this has any affect.
    03-08-14 05:09 AM
    Celebrities aren't trendsetters when it comes to technology. The general public respects their opinions with regards to fashion; but, most celebrities are not perceived as particularly intelligent/tech savvy individuals.

Blackberry would be better off handing Blackberries out to Harvard or Stanford students. Prestigious universities are actually the place where many cultural trends sprout from. Facebook, Snapchat, etc.
    I think the Harvard/Stanford crowd might be too liberal for this.. Apple is their baby..... I think handing them out to all the Wall St types... The movers and shakers that need to get stuff done.. Let them show the world what a productivity powerhouse the BB is.... Advertise on CNBC, FOX Business and like minded shows and networks..... Let the kid walking out of the Wharton School of business walk into Goldman Sachs with an iPhone and be laughed at....Make it the tool of the trade.... just like the iPhone is to High Schoolers now....
    Last edited by BobPepe; 03-08-14 at 07:09 AM.
    beantownwindsorite likes this.
    03-08-14 06:02 AM
    ... Let the kid walking out of the Wharton School of business walk into Goldman Sachs with an iPhone and be laughed at...
    Some of y'all are just plain lost man.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...phone-age.html

"Goldman Sachs will not be mocked, nor will it suffer the indignity of second-class smartphones. And so, according to several people close to the bank, Goldman began allowing employees to use iPhones as their official work phones this week."

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    03-08-14 06:18 AM
    That is the issue. Blackberry is not a second class smartphone it has a second class reputation.

03-08-14 07:11 AM
    Should BlackBerry hand out free phones to the top trendsetters in North America?
    These people already have a BB together with their iPhone, and look how that work out.
    03-08-14 07:25 AM
    "Goldman Sachs will not be mocked, nor will it suffer the indignity of second-class smartphones. And so, according to several people close to the bank, Goldman began allowing employees to use iPhones as their official work phones this week."

And they're managing all those iPhones with BES, I reckon. They can't afford to mess around with security.
    03-08-14 07:35 AM
    I think Beyonce has the porche 9981

Posted via CB10
    03-08-14 07:37 AM
    That is the issue. Blackberry is not a second class smartphone it has a second class reputation.
    Yeah - the link above really exemplified that.

"in an attempt to free their employees from the albatross of an outdated and socially radioactive BlackBerry. "

It goes beyond preference, or function in markets like the US ... it's become fashionable to bash. A little like watching the kids in the school yard gang up on someone in the corner.
    03-08-14 07:49 AM

I agree that handing them out to prestigious universities would indeed be something to be looked at also.

But I highly disagree that celebrities are not trendsetters when it comes to technology. Technology and fashion work with eachother. With wearables making their way to the market recently it's even more evident.

"Hollywood celebrities shape many of today?s consumer trends, whether in fashion, beauty or technology; thus, celebrity trends have important implications for businesses and marketers from various industries.

The influence of celebrity trends over purchasing power is undeniable, and our Celebrity Trend Report will give you insight into the trends that may be affecting your industry."

http://www.trendreports.com/Celebrity-Trend-Report

Zed30
    03-08-14 07:51 AM
    This isn't exactly an original idea. Samsung gave every single Olympic athlete a smartphone in Sochi. It's called swag. I'm pretty sure they did it at the Oscars, too. Do you think Ellen took that selfie with her personal phone? Samsung paid 20 million for that.
    03-08-14 07:53 AM
    Yeah it can... these people definitely charge a lot to do an add with anybody, giving them for free is not a big deal.

Posted via CB10
    03-08-14 07:55 AM
    Blackberry is already the phone of the 1% in America a very high percentage of celebs and businessmen use it compared to the rest of the population. Kim Kardashian, Kayne West, Leo Decaprio, Ben Afflect, Barack Obama, Usian Bolt, Christina Ronaldo, Paris and Nickie Hilton, Rihanna, Bradley cooper, Puff Daddy etc etc... however i don't think this has any affect.
    The fact that you know that these people have a Blackberry shows that it has an effect, but really it's hard to know for sure how much of effect it does have. I haven't found any free reports on celebrity tech trends. There is majority of people that actually research their tech purchases and base them off of reviews and such. IMO this is a small majority compared to the people who buy technology based off of what's popular and what their families and friends recommend. But I also think there's a sizable majority of people who base their tech purchases off of current trends and styles. iPhone has become an accessory for many people, much like a watch, purse or jewelry. If fact what's popular, stylish and trendy are one of the same.

Zed30
    03-08-14 08:08 AM
    Nope.

Though I do like the idea that one of the posters mentioned above about targeting university campuses. Those are the people BlackBerry need convert. Not free but maybe some pop up stands with some reps, freebies, game displays, etc.

Posted via CB10
    03-08-14 09:54 AM
    Good idea ... you'd almost say it was giving rich and famous people free gifts but then it would turn into advertising if they actually used them in public.

WOW ... it's funny as an outside to listen to you Americans talk about BlackBerry phones ... trust me no one else in the world HATES BB phones as much as you guys do. You almost sound psychotic.
    03-08-14 09:57 AM

Best quote ever. Well said.

Zed 10 with 1925 leak
    jakie55 likes this.
    03-08-14 10:00 AM
    NO!

Posted via CB10
    03-08-14 10:25 AM
    I think handing them out to all the Wall St types... The movers and shakers that need to get stuff done.. Let them show the world what a productivity powerhouse the BB is.... Advertise on CNBC, FOX Business and like minded shows and networks..... Let the kid walking out of the Wharton School of business walk into Goldman Sachs with an iPhone and be laughed at....Make it the tool of the trade.... just like the iPhone is to High Schoolers now....
    I tweeted to BlackBerry that they should do the seven day challenge for all the talking heads on the business channels.

Posted from my Z30 using CB10

Update: day, not way...aka Dad Does challenge
    Last edited by LoganSix; 03-09-14 at 08:37 AM.
    03-08-14 05:24 PM
    They could send Z30's out to the mobile teams of the top 10 banks in the world. Bank support is something that would very useful for them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    03-08-14 05:39 PM
    How would these trendy people get their much needed apps? Cant expect them to sideload snap for sure.

Q10SQN100-3/10.2.1.2141, Z30, Z10, iP5, SGS3
    03-09-14 08:07 AM
    How would these trendy people get their much needed apps? Cant expect them to sideload snap for sure.

Q10SQN100-3/10.2.1.2141, Z30, Z10, iP5, SGS3
    Or, it would be a way to see what the "cool people" use on their phone. Then BlackBerry could claim that only "losers" want app A, because celebrity A doesn't care for that app.

Immediately many teens drop the app.

Posted from my Z30 using CB10
    03-09-14 08:39 AM
26 12