Throughout the day the Z10 felt inert, unlike the GS3 where it was always doing stuff in the background. All of the above works on 2GB right now, but I imagine I could do even more with 4GB.
    All things you have mentioned does not require memory, these are very simple tasks each one require at most 1MB (efficient code should fit into 10-50 KB though).
    I very doubt you will see any difference at 4 GB or can make more things.

XXI century phenomena: tech meets masses results in pop-sci-fi-tech religion.
    Any follower of this new religion is free to believe in any **** he can even imagine.
    But this does not change how things are actually build and work.
    09-15-13 10:21 PM
    Kitkat had 64-bit before Apple, just like everything else they've claim to have innovated.
    (mark these words in stone).

On topic,

BlackBerry should definitely go 64-bit. They have to keep up.
    09-15-13 10:22 PM
    Kitkat had 64-bit before Apple, just like everything else they've claim to have innovated.

On topic,

Really. What phones have been announced with Kit Kat? What SoC do they use? When will they ship?
    09-15-13 10:27 PM

On topic,

There are 2 different things 64-bit OS and 64-bit processor (hardware). QNX already has 64 bit option (Freescale's QorIQ). Android has 64-bit because its based on Linux kernel and open source libraries.
    theRock1975 likes this.
    09-15-13 10:30 PM
    I think there is no need for 64-bit phone and it will never be until usage for the phone changes drastically. Even 2 GB RAM has nothing to do with real needs of the phone, this size is due to inefficient system implementation. It has nothing to do with QNX or LInux kernels and middle ware.
    09-15-13 10:36 PM
    But computer with 2GB RAM suits needs of many people for 10 years now. There universal amounts of storage needed, you can use 16 GB RAM on PC and even more but for average user is overkill. The same can be said for smartphone.
    I can bet anything you will not see the need for 3GB RAM on a phone at least for next 5 years.
    Excluding may be games which are not playable on mobile device anyway.

PS: PC from 2005 with dual core Athlon and 2GB RAM still in use and fits most needs for average user.
    Of course there will be enthusiasts, but most users will not pay more money for things they don't need.
    Uhh, BB10 currently needs 2gb to run and it's apparently more efficient than anything else, so how is an extra gb that outlandish?
    09-15-13 10:38 PM
    All smartphones will eventually be 64bit because of addressing requirements.

Right now, not one smartphone can benefit from 64bit architecture. Samsung will likely be the first to require it i'd say in 2 years time.

64 bit architecture is nothing new and does absolutely nothing for performance.

Apple saying they went 64 bit for Enterprise is the biggest load of horse crap in the world.

Posted via CB10
    but when 64 bit will be the norm Apple will have the lead on everyone else
    09-15-13 10:48 PM
    Of course they should if they in fact... can.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1443
    09-15-13 10:55 PM
    @OP
    Is the question a serious one?

The whole industry is heading towards 64bit processing, so, if BlackBerry doesn't want to sleep through yet another trend, the only answer to that question has to be a big fat "YES".

but when 64 bit will be the norm Apple will have the lead on everyone else
    It's called a "first to market advantage" and is one of the things Apple seriously excels at.

A big problem of BlackBerry is, that they act reactively in the last 4 years, whereas the competition was proactive.

Be it Apple with the Retina display or the iPad and Samsung with their Phablets or their ability to push the spec envelope even further.
    Even Nokia with their Pureview Camera technology have a first to market advantage.

BlackBerry you ask?
    Well...

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by MarsupilamiX; 09-15-13 at 11:09 PM.
    09-15-13 10:57 PM
    @OP
    Is the question a serious one?

The whole industry is heading towards 64bit processing, so, if BlackBerry doesn't want to sleep through yet another trend, the only answer to that question has to be a big fat "YES".

It's called a "first to market advantage" and is one of the things Apple seriously excels at.

A big problem of BlackBerry is, that they act reactively in the last 4 years, whereas the competition was proactive.

Be it Apple with the Retina display or the iPad and Samsung with their Phablets or their ability to push the spec envelope even further.
    Even Nokia with their Pureview Camera technology have a first to market advantage.

BlackBerry you ask?
    Well...

Posted via CB10
    Did someone do Balance before BlackBerry?

Sent from my HTC One using CB Forums mobile app
    dusdal likes this.
    09-15-13 11:20 PM
    Did someone do Balance before BlackBerry?

Sent from my HTC One using CB Forums mobile app
    Nokia had a similar concept with their E series.
    http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/a...hp?a=210&p=444

You could switch between a personal and work profile.
    BB10 does it better, but the concept is 5 years old at least.

The only annoying thing is, that Balance doesn't work without BES10, which means that everyone interested in it, but not willing to pay for the BES/Exchange infrastructure cannot use it.
    I consider that a major fail.

Posted via CB10
    bekkay and jay_men like this.
    09-15-13 11:37 PM
    Multitasking is the main reason I need lots of memory on my PC, and the same reasoning holds for my phone. Multitasking is not just about the user juggling activities, it is also about the computer doing activities on behalf of the user at the same time. And the latter is where we start to see big differences.

I have an Galaxy S3 and I have a Z10. It is when I tried to use the Z10 as my daily driver that I missed all the little things that the GS3 did. These are things that the phone does for me in the background without my intervention, things that saved me time and effort. Here are just a few examples:

• In the morning I have a card showing the time to get to work factoring in the traffic. At quitting time, I have another card for the trip home. It lets me know if I should leave earlier or try to find another route.
    • When my plane lands, I am greeted with the currency exchange rate, nearby photo spots, places of interest, helpful phrases.
    • If I search for a restaurant on the browser on my laptop or desktop, a card will show up on the phone to let me navigate there with one tap. No need to search for it again.
    • It would send a text to the wife that I was on my way home when I left the geofenced area I set around the office.
    • When connected to the home network, it would disable the device lock. This was before I got the Pebble.
    • When connected to the Pebble watch, I never have to unlock my phone. If I get separated from my phone, it will lock itself.
    • If the phone gets lost or stolen, I can control my phone from any browser and do things like take pictures of the thief. It will also take pictures when someone tries to unlock the phone and quietly send them to my email account.
    • From the calendar it knows when I'm in a meeting and automatically mutes the phone for me.
    • It knows when I'm at home, and if I plug it in the charger past a certain time, it will mute all notification sounds because I'm going to sleep.
    • It watches for swipe gestures so I can launch any app (or perform phone functions) while I'm in any other app.
    • When I plug in a headset, it gives me a selection of my favorite media apps. If I'm using my bluetooth headset, then it launches my preferred listening app when I hit the play button on the headset.
    • When I arrive at a location, the phone will remind me if I had previously asked for it. For example I would say "remind me to take out the trash when I get home."
    • Ever run into a video saying that it is not available in your country? I can fire up a VPN proxy on the phone and bypass that restriction.
    • The GS3 is also running an ad blocker while I'm browsing the web.
    • The phone can also listen for your voice and it can launch other apps.

After a while I just took these things that the phone did for me for granted. They just happened. That's why when I did a trial of the Z10 as a daily driver, I recognized that I had to do all these things myself, interrupting my daily flow. Throughout the day the Z10 felt inert, unlike the GS3 where it was always doing stuff in the background. All of the above works on 2GB right now, but I imagine I could do even more with 4GB.
    This is what a real awesome "experience" looks like, Blackberry stalwarts. No wonder they are activating over 1m Android devices a day.
    imz likes this.
    09-15-13 11:49 PM
    BlackBerry does not join in hardware race with android, so that BB just improves the battery life, it's enough.
    09-16-13 01:01 AM
    64-bit is purely marketing thing.
    Marketing=success, so yes anyone should follow Apple on this.
    But, I will not follow, I will not buy 64-bit phone NEVER.
    09-16-13 01:21 AM
    I want to see that person who can fill 3GB RAM of his phone, reasonable usage of course.
    PlayBook RAM. Thats all I'm saying.

Posted via CB10
    09-16-13 01:26 AM
    64-bit is purely marketing thing.
    Marketing=success, so yes anyone should follow Apple on this.
    But, I will not follow, I will not buy 64-bit phone NEVER.
    So if they all go 64bit, you won't ever get a new phone? Good luck lol

Posted via CB10
    Berry_Pink, codiak and Rello like this.
    09-16-13 01:27 AM
    So if they all go 64bit, you won't ever get a new phone? Good luck lol

Posted via CB10
    Yeah that's going to be a tough one. Maybe he's skipping ahead to 128-bit.
    kaizvn likes this.
    09-16-13 01:35 AM
    Yeah they didn't claim to have "innovated" 64-bit. They said they were going to ship the first 64-bit smartphone OS, which is true since iOS 7 will be released well before "KitKat."
    09-16-13 01:37 AM
    Hmm couldn't hurt if they implemented this in the future. I mean they are all about mobile computing, right?
    09-16-13 01:42 AM
    It seems to me that any discussion of the proper place of the 64-bit architecture in the broader technological landscape is being lost in the iOS v. Android v. Windows v. BlackBerry fan wars.

Apple would love to proclaim that they are the first company to build a 64-bit smartphone, as if that is something revolutionary. It is something of an inevitable engineering evolution rather than a scientific leap forward. If Apple hadn't done it, some other company with the technical wherewithal (Samsung, Intel, Qualcomm or Texas Instruments) would have done it in a couple of years.

So, Apple should indeed be praised for being the first to the 64-bit finish line, but most fanboys thumbing down other merely 32-bit architectures are just uninformed about how technology advances.

BBQ10
    Last edited by clickitykeys; 09-16-13 at 12:40 PM.
    Bsbudd and theRock1975 like this.
    09-16-13 01:47 AM
    Yeah they didn't claim to have "innovated" 64-bit. They said they were going to ship the first 64-bit smartphone OS, which is true since iOS 7 will be released well before "KitKat."
    Also, any phone released with KitKat won't have the 64bit CPU to take advantage of it. We probably won't see an Android handset with a 64bit CPU for at least a year.

Another Apple first.

Anyone saying that "64 bit doesn't matter" or is "pure spin" is either uninformed or deluding themselves.

Never mind that some apps or tasks get an inherent speedboost from using a 64 bit CPU as opposed to a 32 bit.

The 64bit CPU in the iphone5s also comes with a whole new instruction set from ARM/Apple. You can expect to see significant performance and battery gains based on that too.
    09-16-13 03:57 AM
    According to many folks in this forum, neither 64-bit is required nor is a fingerprint scanner a good idea because they are gimmicky for Apple to release them.

Therefore, they would also be gimmicky on a BlackBerry. Wouldn't they?
    09-16-13 04:07 AM
    According to many folks in this forum, neither 64-bit is required nor is a fingerprint scanner a good idea because they are gimmicky for Apple to release them.

Therefore, they would also be gimmicky on a BlackBerry. Wouldn't they?
    kinda like that darn gimmicky touchscreen apple released in 2007 eh lol. its so funny how history repeats itself, why cant people admire steps other companies take? if nobody ever made any steps of progress we`d still be using 2 cups and a piece of string
    09-16-13 04:12 AM
    Or how larger touchscreen devices were the spawn of Satan...until the Z10 and the Z30.....

But yah....that wee thing that released back in 2007 was all.gimmicks......

I use three platforms and I love them all because each has benefits. Should BlackBerry go 64bit? Of course. It's the new boundary to cross and as much as it irks some, Apple got there first.

Posted via CB10
    09-16-13 04:21 AM
    Also, any phone released with KitKat won't have the 64bit CPU to take advantage of it. We probably won't see an Android handset with a 64bit CPU for at least a year.

Another Apple first.

Anyone saying that "64 bit doesn't matter" or is "pure spin" is either uninformed or deluding themselves.

Never mind that some apps or tasks get an inherent speedboost from using a 64 bit CPU as opposed to a 32 bit.

The 64bit CPU in the iphone5s also comes with a whole new instruction set from ARM/Apple. You can expect to see significant performance and battery gains based on that too.

Apparently all built in apps are already 64 bit and the transition from 32 bit to 64 bit is seamless.

"Converting games to 64-bit is usually a painful process, but with Apple it took 2 hours."
    -epic games (infinity blade franchise).
    09-16-13 04:22 AM
122 1234 ...