QNX is a fundamently stable and responsive OS. I think Blackberry should start selling a server OS with it that runs *AMP, BES, and some sort of email server.

Thoughts?
    11-11-13 11:09 AM
    QNX is a fundamently stable and responsive OS. I think Blackberry should start selling a server OS with it that runs *AMP, BES, and some sort of email server.

Thoughts?
    And how long do you think it would take to build said webserver?

People use a number of Server Based OS these days. Most have been in the business for a long time and are very mature and stable operating systems. I've seen nothing in BB10 to indicate that BlackBerry could create a feature rich yet mature and stable server OS.

I do think that BlackBerry should look at offering hosting of their BES10 services along with an Exhange like email service. But I think they need to do this using existing software.
    11-11-13 03:50 PM
    I wrote out a document at one point that said that BlackBerry should run BES on BB10 and make an appliance/router that is powered by ARM processors as it would be instantly FIPS approved. Allow it to do remote access with a VPN client and allow it to do site-to-site VPN and it would be a FIPS approved VPN appliance too.

Also they should make an ARM powered home/small business sized router that runs BB10 and would act as a BES for families and small businesses. Throw in an email server, Web server capability, file storage to create your own cloud environment. Should be able to be a cheap device as it wouldn't need to graphics and could probably run on old PlayBook hardware with more RAM. Add in an HDMI in on it and an IR blaster and have a sling box like capability. Lots of possibilities and should be relatively quick development time.

BlackBerry has talked up BB10 a lot and implied the possibilities are enormous, but all they have delivered is a few phones and no ecosystem with them. Look at Apple with other devices, Google with tablets and now Chromecast and trying at TV. BlackBerry needs to do more than just phones with BB10 to make this mobile computing vision become a reality.

Posted via CB10
    Zirak and flyingsolid like this.
    11-11-13 05:25 PM
    I believe BlackBerry should provide some consumer oriented version of BES and sign partenership with NAS providers like QNAP or Synology. This would most certainly attract :

- small to medium business who just can't afford BES
    - people and geeks who simply don't trust Apple, Microsoft or Google anymore after the PRISM affair.
    kola_chapagne likes this.
    11-12-13 09:00 AM
    Yeah I could see a Blackberry server doing really well, especially if it has a Small-buisness-in-a-box version that has everything a small company or non-profit organization would need (*AMP, email server, domain alternative (maybe), mobile device management, BES, NAS, Balance, etc).

Only problem is that Blackberry just does not have the resources to create such a thing.

However, it is possible that they can build a server for internal use, and as they flesh it out they can prepare it for sale and use outside the company.
    Last edited by grahamf; 11-12-13 at 02:26 PM.
    11-12-13 12:32 PM
    I do think that BlackBerry should look at offering hosting of their BES10 services
    If this brings BlackBerry Balance, an advertised feature, I'd be all for it.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-13 12:46 PM