It's all over the internet. Play services are there predominantly as a tool allowing Google to control the direction they want Android to take (it had up until recently become a fragmented, directionless mess).

Hence why the first unlocked (thanks xsacha) BB10 Android runtime ran almost every Google Play app for a little while. But BlackBerry's Android runtime development unfortunately directly coincided with Google's work on their Play Services (meaning these days far, far fewer apps from Play Store actually work).

I can see why Google did it, frankly.

Posted via CB10
    Seems like speculation.
    04-13-15 11:31 AM
    Seems like speculation.
    Well, I suppose it is in a sense, in that Google would never come out and publicly say that (at least I doubt they would). Nevertheless, the Play Services appeared, vanilla Android changed direction and that would be their most obvious reason.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-15 11:35 AM
    Seems like speculation.
    LOL. Google OHA
    04-13-15 11:41 AM
    LOL. Google OHA
    I don't see Google Play mentioned anywhere in OHA.
    04-13-15 11:45 AM
    04-13-15 11:54 AM
    04-13-15 04:08 PM
    Great articles. So basically as others here mentioned the real route to take is running our own app store and a forked version of android or run Android OHA with a separate spot on the phone which handles blackberry features such as flow, peak and hub.

Really I think what is going to happen in this case is BB10 is going to die off. Blackberry will sever flow peak and hub features as free downloads cross platform and try to monetize the user base.
    04-13-15 04:37 PM
    Great articles. So basically as others here mentioned the real route to take is running our own app store and a forked version of android or run Android OHA with a separate spot on the phone which handles blackberry features such as flow, peak and hub.

Really I think what is going to happen in this case is BB10 is going to die off. Blackberry will sever flow peak and hub features as free downloads cross platform and try to monetize the user base.
    The most discussed scenario I think is that BlackBerry devices will simply end up running Android, with a 'BB10' runtime handling anything where the Android OS could compromise security or featureset.

Seem to remember this scenario mentioned to someone (Chen?) and there being no denial, suggesting it is at least being considered.

But yes, in terms of ecosystem and building a competitive userbase, BB10 is effectively dead already.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-15 04:48 PM
    The most discussed scenario I think is that BlackBerry devices will simply end up running Android, with a 'BB10' runtime handling anything where the Android OS could compromise security or featureset.

Seem to remember this scenario mentioned to someone (Chen?) and there being no denial, suggesting it is at least being considered.

But yes, in terms of ecosystem and building a competitive userbase, BB10 is effectively dead already.

Posted via CB10
    See I thought the same thing with BB10 running secure runtime on android however I am sure that will not be well received by google through the OHA. Thinking back now at the idea of building BB10, it really was hindered on the ability to build a successful app store. I believe google even mentioned that if there was enough buyin to BB10 they would develop apps for it. What a longshot strategy to market.
    04-13-15 05:28 PM
    They even intimidated Samsung away from Tizen on phones by threatening to boot them from the OHA.
    Source??
    04-13-15 05:47 PM
    They don't need to buy it (and waste the money)... they could just license it or update the Android runtime in such a way that it could be installed and run without issue using Snap/Google Play... Or let Amazon negotiate for it for the App Store (as I'm sure Amazaon Kindle Fire users may want it as well) and then just have BB ensure it can run fine on BB10.

And while it may suck for searching for points of interest and things, from a driving directions standpoint, BB Maps is much better than Google Maps where I live (more accurate driving time estimations, better directions, better pronunciation of street names). I don't know how it compares to HERE as, while I have it installed on my OnePlus One, I never use it as I don't like the look of it (personally).
    I agree 100%. BB Maps may be horrible at finding points of interest but it gets me from point A to Point B way better than Google Maps.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-15 06:46 PM
    Well Chen did say a few weeks ago he is eyeing a few companies to acquire so don't be so quick to rule out the possibility of them trying to improve their map app

*Z30 STA100-5 10.3.1.2558*
    04-13-15 07:25 PM
    Can you please send me your source? I would be interested in reading a little more on this.
    Troy (see above) had a great thread a while ago that explains it way better than I could.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-store-953753/

Posted from CB10 on my classy Passport--TBUCK64
    anon(3066922) likes this.
    04-13-15 10:56 PM
    Well Chen did say a few weeks ago he is eyeing a few companies to acquire so don't be so quick to rule out the possibility of them trying to improve their map app

*Z30 STA100-5 10.3.1.2558*
    Buying HERE would cost them too much money. Money they don't have.
    04-13-15 11:24 PM
    I agree 100%. BB Maps may be horrible at finding points of interest but it gets me from point A to Point B way better than Google Maps.
    This, this, and this. Google Maps and HERE Maps aren't terrible for navigation.
    04-13-15 11:27 PM
    No.. BBMaps is waaaay better now on 10.3.1! Why spend money on that? Spend money on R&D instead!

Posted via CB10
    04-14-15 03:14 AM
    I'm shocked at how many people like HERE. I have it loaded on my Android phone, and every time I try to look for a shop or something in my city, it ends up giving me a list of branches in other cities and even countries. Even BB Maps (based on Tomtom data I believe) is better.
    04-14-15 12:31 PM
    I'm shocked at how many people like HERE. I have it loaded on my Android phone, and every time I try to look for a shop or something in my city, it ends up giving me a list of branches in other cities and even countries. Even BB Maps (based on Tomtom data I believe) is better.
    That's not good. I've used Here Maps on my Moto X, and it's worked as well as Google Maps for me.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    04-14-15 12:43 PM
    No.. BBMaps is waaaay better now on 10.3.1! Why spend money on that? Spend money on R&D instead!

Posted via CB10
    Except that BB Maps is not offline. I spend alot of time in outside of the States, so offline is a major money saver.
    04-14-15 01:42 PM
    What would be the strategic value? This area is dominated by Google, hard to make inroads and I think BB cash would have a better return on investment going to something else. At this point they need something disruptive to improve their market share significantly.
    04-14-15 01:51 PM
    They could license the mapping as others are doing.

As for market share - you mean something along the terms of Marketing and nicely speced phones that meet the needs of the most users.
    04-14-15 02:40 PM
    Except that BB Maps is not offline. I spend alot of time in outside of the States, so offline is a major money saver.
    There are acrtually a couple of good apps on BBWorld for offline navigation. 1 paid and 1 free......

Posted via CB10
    04-14-15 03:48 PM
    There are acrtually a couple of good apps on BBWorld for offline navigation. 1 paid and 1 free......

Posted via CB10
    I have Mireo. I find that the Android app Aponia GPS downloaded through Snap, uses Here Maps, is much better than Mireo. Uses the same outdated UI.
    04-14-15 03:55 PM
    I have Mireo. I find that the Android app Aponia GPS downloaded through Snap, uses Here Maps, is much better than Mireo. Uses the same outdated UI.
    http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/54700890

Posted via CB10
    04-15-15 02:19 AM
    Apple or Google could gobble up Here Maps in a week. BlackBerry is not in a financial position to do so. Not even sure why this is a thing.
    04-15-15 02:11 PM
51 123