BB hasn't updated BBOS for several years. AFAIK, no further updates are expected. Other than BIS, which they get paid for, what legacy "infrastructure" are they currently spending ANYthing on?

@Dunt: Not sure what you mean by "2G"?? My 9930 is 3G. 7.1's browser is no speed monster and I, myself, don't use it for anything security critical. Mostly because its been so many years since updated. I've been unable to find authoritative info on its security weaknesses. Can you direct me to a source for that info?

@loc22: There IS life after BIS. Shuswap has blazed the trail for keeping BBOS devices running after BIS disappears. In fact, I'd anticipate being forced to retire my Classic for battery failure well before 9900 becomes unusable. If 11-12M bbos are too few for the trouble, what's that make 8-9M BB10?

9900's 1.2ghz processor, along with its exquisite keyboard and compact design will keep it my favorite until something better happens. I'll carry it as a pocket calendar, if nothing else. If it becomes unusable, and unavailable on eBay, I'd probably see how far I can nurse Classic along but, there really is NO reasonable substitute for a 9900. Not even close. Quite a few of us feel the same way. A natural niche opportunity for an astute enough niche producer to market to, it seems to me. Why this fails to be a "no brainer" around here befuddles me.
    Don't forget it is not BlackBerry who is maintaining BIS, the telco's need to maintain the infrastructures to allow BIS to function too. How much longer do you think your telco's will keep this running for you?

I love using the 9900 but I hate the long wait to open up anything to use. I hate having fun keep deleting apps, pictures, songs & videos to continue receiving messages or do anything on the phone.

I also hate having a sticky key once in a while. My Z10 was a God sent as it was much easier to type on and I don't have to keep deleting stuff that I want. I don't have to keep deleting messages anymore because there is space to receive new messages.

I have had say that it took me half a day to really learn and master the keyboard on BlackBerry 10 and it was so much better than using the 9900. It felt like too much hard work to type on the 9900 after a while. Yes, it may not seem to be as fast as using the 9900 keyboard but heck the difference is possibly 1 or 2 seconds. I think that is not life threatening really.

I've since moved on to Android but I find myself feeling very handicapped using Android as it is still lacking very far behind BlackBerry 10. With so many people still stuck in BlackBerry legacy OS and refusing to move on I have there will not be a BlackBerry 10 phone I can go back to soon.

Posted via CB10
    05-27-16 11:05 PM
    and I don't have to keep deleting stuff that I want. I don't have to keep deleting messages anymore because there is space to receive new messages.
    Lols I've never had to do this and I am a power user with 18 apps on my 9900. The keys are perfect, and I make sure I'm not eating pizza when I use my device.

For someone that claims to like the 9900 so much...........well whats the point....

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    05-27-16 11:16 PM
    Lols I've never had to do this and I am a power user with 18 apps on my 9900. The keys are perfect, and I make sure I'm not eating pizza when I use my device.

For someone that claims to like the 9900 so much...........well whats the point....

Ralph, I suspect yours and my definition of power user varies as greatly as our experience on the 99x0. Not that apps define it, but I had more on my beloved Pearl. I find the Z10 too laggy, and would kill to have Passport specs on a Z30 format phone. Typing speed? I'm at least as fast on this VKB. I never grazed across the PKB to know where the characters were. Muscle memory did the work, and does just as well here.

Enjoy your 9900. You should! Just don't think you are anything but an incredibly small minority in the smartphone world.
    TgeekB likes this.
    05-27-16 11:47 PM
    Ralph, I suspect yours and my definition of power user varies as greatly as our experience on the 99x0. Not that apps define it, but I had more on my beloved Pearl. I find the Z10 too laggy, and would kill to have Passport specs on a Z30 format phone. Typing speed? I'm at least as fast on this VKB. I never grazed across the PKB to know where the characters were. Muscle memory did the work, and does just as well here.

Enjoy your 9900. You should! Just don't think you are anything but an incredibly small minority in the smartphone world.
    I hear what you're saying and that's true too. My "power useage" consists of dealing with 15.2 thousand followers in Twitter and my device is non- stop notifications, responding, pic messages, news, etc. and that's on the official bloaty Twitter app. No problems. Also the native Blackberry Facebook app is still just fine (I have seen MANY BB10 threads where this is failing as well as MANY other apps with BB10 that are still just fine on the older Legacy-for whatever reason). Power-texting, uploading to the Client for Instagram, tons of pics, etc. Whatsapp all the time. Etc etc. So yes we will have different definitions for everything.

You know we are basically in the same boat here, BBOS and BB10, when and if they pull the plug on one they will probably do both.

As for speed of typing, that's all subjective. I find the 9900 soft and effortless say........compared to the 9780 which is very VERY stiff. Q10 may be even softer than the 9900 but so what? If this is considered some "hardship" in the world then we are in more trouble than we think.

There really isn't much for bloatware on Legacy, and if maintained, can be reasonably speedy still. You have probably seen my video of my device in action, I can post it.
    05-28-16 12:03 AM
    Some carriers without corporate/government accounts may pull BIS, but I doubt either of us is in any danger of losing BlackBerry services from BlackBerry's end any time soon.

It's all subjective except the numbers. I said smartphone users, not specifically BlackBerry. They as a whole are but a drop in the market.
    BBerryPowerUser likes this.
    05-28-16 12:09 AM
    Some carriers without corporate/government accounts may pull BIS, but I doubt either of us is in any danger of losing BlackBerry services from BlackBerry's end any time soon.

It's all subjective except the numbers. I said smartphone users, not specifically BlackBerry. They as a whole are but a drop in the market.
    I hope you are right.
    05-28-16 12:17 AM

Well it went to a point I could no longer receive WhatsApp messages or emails. It's really just not good enough.

Posted via CB10
    05-28-16 04:07 AM
    Well it went to a point I could no longer receive WhatsApp messages or emails. It's really just not good enough.

Posted via CB10
    Where do you live? Everything works for me in Canada.

05-28-16 04:09 AM

Let's put it this way, my network provider has already pulled the plug on BIS slightly over a year ago. Some other network providers are still providing it.

On the BlackBerry end I guess if they do pull the plug it will be one at a time not both. The obvious choice would be BIS.

I truly believe that if BlackBerry do pull the plug on BIS they have a chance of survival. The fan's will have to mo on to the Priv of the BlackBerry 10.

Honestly speaking, I have BlackBerry 10 is a better of the two between Android and BlackBerry 10. Coz Android is not as fluid and flexible as BlackBerry 10. The thing that is lacking in the current BlackBerry 10 devices are possibly only 3, that is ;

1. The BlackBerry 10 devices spec's need to be put on Steroids. The current spec's just can't cope with Android apps it takes forever to load and do stuff. Imagine having a 286 machine running Windows 10 would be a great comparison.

2. Google services to allow apps that certain people want to be available on their machines. This has been resolved by #Cobalt232 he is great developer.

3. Have snap built in or at least not having it to be side loaded.

Then I'm sure the BlackBerry 10 devices will be the best device available in the market. THAT DOESN'T MEAN THAT IT WILL SELL. Selling or not depends on the marketing which BlackBerry has none.

Posted via CB10
    05-28-16 04:20 AM
    Let's put it this way, my network provider has already pulled the plug on BIS slightly over a year ago. Some other network providers are still providing it.

On the BlackBerry end I guess if they do pull the plug it will be one at a time not both. The obvious choice would be BIS.

I truly believe that if BlackBerry do pull the plug on BIS they have a chance of survival. The fan's will have to mo on to the Priv of the BlackBerry 10.

Honestly speaking, I have BlackBerry 10 is a better of the two between Android and BlackBerry 10. Coz Android is not as fluid and flexible as BlackBerry 10. The thing that is lacking in the current BlackBerry 10 devices are possibly only 3, that is ;

1. The BlackBerry 10 devices spec's need to be put on Steroids. The current spec's just can't cope with Android apps it takes forever to load and do stuff. Imagine having a 286 machine running Windows 10 would be a great comparison.

2. Google services to allow apps that certain people want to be available on their machines. This has been resolved by #Cobalt232 he is great developer.

3. Have snap built in or at least not having it to be side loaded.

Then I'm sure the BlackBerry 10 devices will be the best device available in the market. THAT DOESN'T MEAN THAT IT WILL SELL. Selling or not depends on the marketing which BlackBerry has none.

Posted via CB10
    The Cobalt solution is no solution at all for regular consumers or Enterprise

Posted via CB10
    andy957 and rthonpm like this.
    05-28-16 08:11 AM
    Expecting that killing off bbos might somehow save BB10 is like expecting that killing off Toyota's Prius might somehow improve Tundra sales. Two different products targeting different markets. In BOTH cases.
    05-28-16 11:41 AM
    Expecting that killing off bbos might somehow save BB10 is like expecting that killing off Toyota's Prius might somehow improve Tundra sales. Two different products targeting different markets. In BOTH cases.
    He gets it
    David Tyler likes this.
    05-28-16 11:48 AM
    On the contrary, it's two different versions of the same product. One more modern than the other and they both target the same market.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-16 04:27 AM
    The market for PKB BlackBerry 's may only be 2.4 million units a year. With one or maybe two Android units that market maybe larger. Regardless, BB10 would eat up the Android market and visa versa. BlackBerry needs to go wherever there is a profit. Theere is no profit to be had with either BB10 or BBOS because the need to actively run an OS. They can not be static. I would like to see another small PKB device and a larger one. Someone who needs a PKB will buy either one or the other. That is the nature of a niche market.

If they make a good all touch device and sell it at a reasonable price, there is a chance that they could increase sales from 2.4 million units to 5 million units. Just an opinion.
    05-29-16 07:28 AM
    They should had EOL BBOS right when BB10 came out. The issue was the BBOS wasn't a suitable replacement for BBOS cause it wouldn't work with existing BES and BIS infrastructure.

But if they would had done their job properly, introduced BB10 and clearly EOL BBOS, then BB10 would had gotten the boost and supported needed to have a chance to succeed.
    05-29-16 08:30 AM
    On the contrary, it's two different versions of the same product. One more modern than the other and they both target the same market.

Posted via CB10
    More like the tundra and Tacoma

Posted via CB10
    05-29-16 09:34 AM

Posted via CB10

That may have been their implied intention but that's not how it got implemented in practice.

I'm not sure who the toolbelt-less Q10 was really intended to target but if legacy were BB's target, they missed by a light year. Sales numbers confirm that. Same with oversized, overweight non-swappable battery Classic. BB seems to be "spraying & praying" rather than targeting.

If they had SUCCESSFULLY targeted legacy, there'd be no need for foolishness like premature EOLs, etc. (bbos has been EOL since 2013 AFAIK???) Legacy users would have eagerly migrated if provided a reasonable pathway. Of course that would have required Dan Dodge & Co to have at least held a 9900 in their hands for a few seconds. Lol. Designing Q10 from memories of 9900's they saw from across the room just didn't get there. Lol.

If a toolbelt Q10 had released with BB10.3.2 shortcuts & speed dials, my 9900 would be long retired. It didn't and NONE of that is the CUSTOMERS' fault!! Only idiocy at BB is to blame.
    anon(9721108) and andy957 like this.
    05-29-16 12:41 PM
    What about a curve?

�This is BlackBerry people! It will come before it is ready, but after it is needed �
    filanto likes this.
    05-29-16 12:47 PM
    Next thing you know, people will be suggesting that any old flip phone or the Motorola Razor should make a comeback!
    Oh, wait.... lol

http://www.cnet.com/news/moto-razr-teaser-lenovo-event/

Attachment 400519
    Attachment 400520

 Passport/SQW100-3 .2876 CB10 
    Or Nokia 3310.
    05-30-16 01:28 PM

I call my ATT Business Services Rep once in a while since my Blackberry 9900 is on a business account with ATT and it's a Premier account. He tells me that he still services a fair amount of BIS BlackBerry accounts, and that discontinuing BIS as a service provided by ATT is not even on the radar. I believe it. We are many years from having to worry about losing BIS, but when we do, we do. Just like the Nextel IDEN Network shutting down, some day so will BIS. Life and Technology march on. I have BB10 devices that I like very much on my personal line. I'll just move one of them to my business line when the day finally comes where BIS is no longer offered by ATT. But I suspect I'll be RETIRED by then and won't need BIS anyway.
    BigBadWulf and David Tyler like this.
    06-23-16 01:54 PM
    I call my ATT Business Services Rep once in a while since my Blackberry 9900 is on a business account with ATT and it's a Premier account. He tells me that he still services a fair amount of BIS BlackBerry accounts, and that discontinuing BIS as a service provided by ATT is not even on the radar. I believe it. We are many years from having to worry about losing BIS, but when we do, we do. Just like the Nextel IDEN Network shutting down, some day so will BIS. Life and Technology march on. I have BB10 devices that I like very much on my personal line. I'll just move one of them to my business line when the day finally comes where BIS is no longer offered by ATT. But I suspect I'll be RETIRED by then and won't need BIS anyway.
    It'll probably happen in about 5 years, when they shut off 3G networks to free up spectrum for newer technologies.
    06-23-16 03:01 PM
    BBOS is long gone, BB10 was DOA, they could make a BBOS clone using Android, as long as it generally maintains the same experience.
    Hey, gimme back mee swipes. Can't steal those..! :-D

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    06-24-16 05:04 AM
    2 years ago I would never have thought I'd see a thread like this and the 9900's being pulled out of drawers.

So when the lines were drawn back then are these same people crossing the line?

Good points being discussed. Interesting.

PIN 2COF829A
    David Tyler likes this.
    06-26-16 09:08 AM
    Have to admit, it's kind of cool. Like listening to old albums. If you just need the basics and can handle the small screen, why not?
    David Tyler likes this.
    06-26-16 11:41 AM
    Have to admit, it's kind of cool. Like listening to old albums. If you just need the basics and can handle the small screen, why not?
    But you can't play a 9900 backwards.

Wait!
    What?
    06-26-16 12:06 PM
910 ... 34353637