I honestly wouldn't mind using an OS7 device, but there is just no way they'd make any amount of money selling them.

I see middle aged people carrying around their 5" Samsungs all day long and they never play a game, watch a video or even listen to music on their device. Maybe the radio. I really think these devices offer them no additional utility to their lives apart from a large expense and a huge footprint in their pant pockets, but they just don't know it or think about it as it's pushed to them by their friends/carriers etc.

Hey, I don't claim to be enlightened, there are plenty of areas where I don't know better and I also ignorantly make the easiest/most popular choice. But there's no good reason for everyone to be using 5"+ touchscreen devices the way its being pushed out now. A lot of people, such as my parents, would do better with a simple, small and cheap / free messaging device that can browse the internet, check the weather and read news headlines with, which the 9900 can do just fine.
    You're right about that but don't forget convenience. I know I'm old but the larger screen is more comfortable to read and i don't think I'm alone.
    05-09-16 02:58 PM
    I see middle aged people carrying around their 5" Samsungs all day long and they never play a game, watch a video or even listen to music on their device.
    You obviously aren't hanging out with the right middle aged people.
    TgeekB and JeepBB like this.
    05-09-16 07:44 PM
    Well now this article is interesting..... Many times I have used the retro Mustang and Dodge Challenger examples in here, as this writer does.....

http://a.mynews.ly/!MD.D0lv0
    05-11-16 02:12 AM
    no I do NOT mean the Classic, I said the form factor of the 9900, and that means smaller, with improved guts. Its really quite a simple formula, and many in the 9900 forums and here have said they would "line up" to buy one.

yes, Retro is Nostalgia, and Millions have fond memories for things of old, even 2013 old. My 9900 works just epic, and I would rather take the word of millions who still use BBOS who LOVE IT than any failed software engineer who never uses one on a daily basis.

I do not go around dissing on your device, so don't go dissing on others in here who love their BBOS devices.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Nobody wanted that form factor in 2013 already.
    Sale Numbers for BBOS devices weren't exactly phenomenal.

Why should that change now?
    05-11-16 11:08 AM
    I don't think they want to play the handset game any more.
    They brought in Chen to make cuts to the very people needed to drive hardware innovation and change to a software company.

Look, I feel for you. You are a true loyal customer. I was where you are a few years back but got screwed too many times. Finally I decided to move on while watching from the back seat. Nothing I have seen has changed my decision. I wish Blackberry, the software company, much success. I only still hang out on Crackberry because of the good people and good conversation!
    I was so close to buy the Priv... 20 times?
    But the price... I can pay it, but I can't justify it.
    Bbnivende and TgeekB like this.
    05-11-16 11:12 AM
    Nobody wanted that form factor in 2013 already.
    Sale Numbers for BBOS devices weren't exactly phenomenal.

Why should that change now?
    BB sales now aren't "phenomenal" either even with the new offerings. In case you hadn't noticed, the article I posted above shows how retro sells, and giving the examples of the new Mustang and Challenger from the automotive industry. If you have never had a Legacy device, or don't miss it, then carry on. Many do, and that can sell because it sure does with other products.

We have already established in this thread that any new 9900 type device would have updated guts, so it is not about re-offering the device from 2011, but it could be in THAT "form factor" or style.

Since you went THAT far back into this thread you should have also stumbled upon the numbers quoted where something like 12 million people globally still use Legacy devices, and this number is greater than the new ones. If that ain't "retro" then I don't know what is
    05-11-16 12:28 PM
    Plenty of 9900's on eBay for $60, go nuts
    05-11-16 12:29 PM
    I fully understand. I am done paying high prices for smartphones. I currently have a Moto G (latest version) that I got for $150 and a Windows Phone 640 that I got brand new for $29 and both work great.
    terminatorx likes this.
    05-11-16 04:21 PM
    Plenty of 9900's on eBay for $60, go nuts
    I will happily decline as I have no intention of ever going back to BBOS.
    05-11-16 06:19 PM
    I was at a lunch today with a group . There were three BlackBerry phones amongst the group. A Curve, a Q10 and a Z10. None of these phones had a data plan. A lot of BlackBerry users are not like Steve or Ralph.
    05-11-16 09:42 PM
    There were three BlackBerry phones amongst the group. A Curve, a Q10 and a Z10.
    The one with the Curve will be teased in that group

05-12-16 02:56 AM

Lol. Condescending stereotyping is still alive & well, it seems. The one with the Curve likely had the easiest time using the single handed friendly device in one hand while using a fork with the other hand, at least... Oh, wait, they didn't have data plans... ??? Lol.
    05-12-16 03:53 AM
    Lol. Condescending stereotyping is still alive & well, it seems. The one with the Curve likely had the easiest time using the single handed friendly device in one hand while using a fork with the other hand, at least... Oh, wait, they didn't have data plans... ??? Lol.
    I'm on month to month because I did my 2 years contract, does that STILL count as a data plan

05-12-16 03:59 AM
    I was at a lunch today with a group . There were three BlackBerry phones amongst the group. A Curve, a Q10 and a Z10. None of these phones had a data plan. A lot of BlackBerry users are not like Steve or Ralph.

Three BlackBerrys, three questions.

1) how do you know they had no data plan? Assuming you asked them?

2) how are they using their devices? Voice only?

3). Why don't they have a data plan? Too impoverished?

4) (I know, you really didn't expect a legacy user to be able to count, did you? Lol). Are you implying that a sample size of three significantly extrapolates to 11M users?
    05-12-16 04:12 AM

3). Why don't they have a data plan? Too impoverished?

4) (I know, you really didn't expect a legacy user to be able to count, did you? Lol).
    I'm thinking maybe he thinks we are a little more sophisticated as Legacy users because we HAVE Data Plans.

wait......what's a data plan? ^_^

05-12-16 04:19 AM
    I was at dinner in Applebees, late afternoon yesterday. Voice over 9900 with client, looking up data & info with Classic in right hand. Classic's fixed battery finally gave up its last gasp just as salad arrived. Drained batt pack was out in my truck, charging. Just holstered dead Classic, picked up fork, signed off with client, proceeded consuming salad and Quesadilla Burger while navigating 99's Opera Mini to Amazon. Texted back & forth with client to select & order essential items within minutes of Amazon's cut off for overnight delivery. Emailed order receipt to client and then texted to alert him of email. All calmly, effortlessly, in left hand. Right hand remained dedicated to feeding my face and was never called on to interact with 9900 in ANY way before, during, or after the meal.

Young fellow sitting next to me at the bar had been busily double thumbing his Apple device. Setting it down to eat a little then picking it up to continue his work. He commented about how "good" I was with my "old" device. I showed him a few features of my 99 and let him work it a little. Also let him handle the dead Classic. He commented about the size of the Classic but really liked the 99's compactness AND its trackpad & swappable battery and wondered where he might get a 9900. He's in process to drop Sprint for Verizon soon so I advised he'll need a 9930 and to check eBay. Also explained BB's on tough times and both of my devices are pretty obsolete. He seemed undeterred and seemed pretty dissatisfied with Apple. Also showed him Crackberry. Lol. Maybe a convert? Lol.
    05-12-16 05:26 AM
    Maybe you can get your bank to rewrite it? Hire thurask as the project lead.
    It has been rewritten. It's called BB10!

Posted via CB10
    05-12-16 07:30 AM
    They were siting next to me and across from me. They were proud of their low monthly bills as well as their limited needs. They do not use many apps and have no knowledge of short cuts etc. They are all older gentlemen.

There is an Internet provider here, Shaw cable, that has free WIFI just about everywhere. You could get by with no data if you use this service in your home as your Internet provider

In North America, I suspect that the limited user who has had the phone for years, is more common than the power user like yourself.

I think that a cheap prepaid Android BlackBerry PKB would be popular amongst your 11 million member BBOS club.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 05-12-16 at 10:48 AM.
    05-12-16 10:36 AM

No , not at all but the average age might have been close to 60. Many there had BlackBerry's at one time. This is in Canada.
    05-12-16 11:00 AM
    I sure had to pay for my Shaw internet, when I was with them. I think they had some sort of app that pointed out "hotspots" that people could see if they were close to, but it was equivalent to going to a cafe and using their free wifi. Generally you share this signal with 15 other people and its not a good one (If this is what you are referring to?)

Sasktel has this type of thing also, but it is usually never enough to reach people's homes, that I have experienced.

05-12-16 11:02 AM
    They were proud of their low monthly bills as well as their limited needs. They do not use many apps and have no knowledge of short cuts etc. They are all older gentlemen.
    Ya I'm willing to bet that people like this would,t bother with a Data plan, just your basic talk and text deal and using public wifi wherever they go, for the most part.

Bbnivende likes this.
    05-12-16 11:06 AM
    No , not at all but the average age might have been close to 60. Many there had BlackBerry's at one time. This is in Canada.
    Close to 60? Lol, sounds like me... A decade+ ago. Lol. "ReTIREmount" is for wheels, IMO. Lol.

I'll be following their "wifi data plan" lead once BIS disappears. Already have some non activated 99's, 9650s and a Classic utilizing a MYFI in my truck and/or hotspot from my activated 4G BB10 stuff. Along with several ToughBooks and a couple PlayBooks. Can be done.

I, myself, might maybe consider a droid PKB if it has reasonably functional toolbelt. AND the phreaking keyboard isn't hiding in shame. Lol.
    Last edited by idssteve; 05-12-16 at 12:09 PM.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    05-12-16 11:58 AM
    I'm with Telus rather than Shaw for my home Internet plan, but around here, there are Shaw hotspots everywhere, and sometimes I wonder if I should switch. I probably wouldn't need a data plan if I did.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    05-12-16 08:14 PM
    The return of the �dumb phone�

https://next.ft.com/content/4213996a...f-1e7744c66818

Maybe

�This is BlackBerry people! It will come before it is ready, but after it is needed �
    05-12-16 11:39 PM
    The return of the �dumb phone�

https://next.ft.com/content/4213996a...f-1e7744c66818

Maybe

�This is BlackBerry people! It will come before it is ready, but after it is needed �
    Blackberry needs to build it!!!!! And they will come!

05-12-16 11:47 PM
910 ... 3132333435 ...