That's cool. Which app are you using for this? With Advanced OS & LED I have the flashlight on after a double press of the convenience key. I use ShortcutMe as well, but was not aware of how to program the volume and mute buttons.

deKlikken. I also use ShortcutMe and Advance OS is great also but deKlikken happens to coexist nicely with our "home hacked" lock app my crew's "smart guys" altered to kill 9900's touch interface.

It's been a while since exploring its limits but recall it will program up to 7 (maybe more?) presses for convenience, mute, vol up&down keys. Shortcuts to media keys are disabled while media is playing tho. Seems like there might be an option to over ride that over ride? Can't recall for sure tho.
    terminatorx likes this.
    05-08-16 04:12 AM
    The 9900 Web browser had a feature called text reflow. You can adjust your font and the paragraph would still stay in the page.

BB10 allows you to change the font but there is no text reflow. I have really bad eyes and I can read Web pages easily on my Z10.

On my Samsung you can adjust the font size within the browser too. I just find that the Android displays most Web sites in a readable font.

The iPhone is the worst by a large margin. There is no adjustable font on Web pages. Now on some sites you have the option of changing the font but that is not the norm.

I am would be quite surprised if you could not find a font size on your Classic which fits your requirements. The font adjustment qualities of BB10 is one of its best features.

Posted via CB10

My example refered to email, fwiw, but sure, I certainly can, and do, "get by" with BB10. 9900's native browser has its share of issues due to maintenance neglect but, thanks to legacy optimizations, 9900's screen size is perfectly comfortable for 99% of my use.

My overall question still remains unanswered. Why should I endure an uncomfortably oversized device 100% of the time when I only desire a larger screen 1% of the time?

Some folks build larger campfires and stand further away. Other folks build smaller campfires and sit closer. I simply hold my smaller device closer. .
    05-08-16 04:57 AM
    BBOS was so efficient at using the screen space in the 9900 (and others), even though the Q10 had bigger screen it actually shows me far less information at any given time.
    I understand how the 9900 is a nice size to carry around and that it has features that make up for its small size. I also don't want a large device that is cumbersome. I find the 5" screen perfect personally. Different strokes...
    05-08-16 06:46 AM
    Once my device is holstered, its size gets pretty irrelevant for carrying. Where size impacts my experience is while holding during use. I, personally, find single handed comfort MUCH more useful than any infrequent benefit afforded by larger screens.

Call me old fashioned but I very frequently jot notes, sketches etc with an old fashioned pencil on paper in one hand while talking, messaging, surfing, reading, calculating, etc on my 9900 in the other hand. Pinch to zoom with pencil in hand is awkward, at best. 9900 zoom shortcuts are MUCH more efficient that the childish "pinch to zoom", IMO.

I also really like operating my device at mealtimes without setting fork down or while sipping coffee without setting mug down, or while carrying a briefcase in rush to catch a train...

My nightly routine involves checking and replying messages while flat on back in bed. Many times with wife on right arm while replying to grandkids. Oversized top heavy devices inevitably prove themselves less comfortable in daily use than my compact 9900. For my use. A discomfort I'd gladly endure if the greater size provided meaningful benefit. Unfortunately, the primary benefit I see for larger screens is to compensate for sloppy HMI design. IMO.

Different folks have different needs. My curiosity would just like to know what, specifically, the overwhelming "need" is for monster screens? ??
    madcat72 likes this.
    05-08-16 07:44 AM
    No

Posted via CB10
    05-08-16 08:02 AM
    Once my device is holstered, its size gets pretty irrelevant for carrying. Where size impacts my experience is while holding during use. I, personally, find single handed comfort MUCH more useful than any infrequent benefit afforded by larger screens.

Call me old fashioned but I very frequently jot notes, sketches etc with an old fashioned pencil on paper in one hand while talking, messaging, surfing, reading, calculating, etc on my 9900 in the other hand. Pinch to zoom with pencil in hand is awkward, at best. 9900 zoom shortcuts are MUCH more efficient that the childish "pinch to zoom", IMO.

I also really like operating my device at mealtimes without setting fork down or while sipping coffee without setting mug down, or while carrying a briefcase in rush to catch a train...

My nightly routine involves checking and replying messages while flat on back in bed. Many times with wife on right arm while replying to grandkids. Oversized top heavy devices inevitably prove themselves less comfortable in daily use than my compact 9900. For my use. A discomfort I'd gladly endure if the greater size provided meaningful benefit. Unfortunately, the primary benefit I see for larger screens is to compensate for sloppy HMI design. IMO.

Different folks have different needs. My curiosity would just like to know what, specifically, the overwhelming "need" is for monster screens? ??
    LOL. A 5" screen is not "monster". I can use my Moto G one handed without an issue.
    I would think those that like larger screens have a different usage for their smartphones which includes movies, games, etc.
    I would equate it with automobiles. A smart car and a truck will both equally get you to your destination, but if you need to haul lumber I know which one I would use.
    05-08-16 08:17 AM
    LOL. A 5" screen is not "monster". I can use my Moto G one handed without an issue.
    I would think those that like larger screens have a different usage for their smartphones which includes movies, games, etc.
    I would equate it with automobiles. A smart car and a truck will both equally get you to your destination, but if you need to haul lumber I know which one I would use.
    Yep. I own an F250 and also a Prius. If I needed to haul lumber every day, I'd drive the 15mpg truck every day. If only hauling lumber on Mondays, I drive my 50mpg Prius the rest of the week. Optimally efficient productivity.

I also use "monster sized" Z30, PassPort and Classic single handed without issue. It's certainly possible. My truck could commute to work EVERY day. It's certainly possible. It's just less optimal when its capabilities aren't needed. Easier & more relaxing to negotiate narrow streets & parking with Prius. Easier & more relaxing to single hand a 9900. For most days, anyway.
    05-08-16 09:58 AM
    I agree and good point. That's a great way to make use of a large screen. But we're not always around one. That's when your device is your large screen. But it sounds like you have the best device for your situation.
    I guess the original premise for Playbook was just that: use the small screen for the communication tool, and the larger one for everything else.

I tried a while ago to go back to my 9360, as I missed a lot of the communication tools and the keyboard. And then I tried to look something up in the browser. That's when I remembered why I upgraded.

Posted via CB10
    TgeekB likes this.
    05-08-16 10:14 AM
    Yep. I own an F250 and also a Prius. If I needed to haul lumber every day, I'd drive the 15mpg truck every day. If only hauling lumber on Mondays, I drive my 50mpg Prius the rest of the week. Optimally efficient productivity.

I also use "monster sized" Z30, PassPort and Classic single handed without issue. It's certainly possible. My truck could commute to work EVERY day. It's certainly possible. It's just less optimal when its capabilities aren't needed. Easier & more relaxing to negotiate narrow streets & parking with Prius. Easier & more relaxing to single hand a 9900. For most days, anyway.
    I fully agree with you. It all comes down to need and what we do most. There is no perfectly sized device. I think that's the thought behind a slider. By "hiding" the keyboard one does not have to deal with a larger device unless needed. Maybe some day they will have screens that enlarge on demand.
    05-08-16 10:14 AM
    I guess the original premise for Playbook was just that: use the small screen for the communication tool, and the larger one for everything else.

I tried a while ago to go back to my 9360, as I missed a lot of the communication tools and the keyboard. And then I tried to look something up in the browser. That's when I remembered why I upgraded.

Posted via CB10
    I think you're right. The problem is we don't always carry that larger device with us. That's why people want something in the middle, i believe.
    05-08-16 10:16 AM
    My example refered to email, fwiw, but sure, I certainly can, and do, "get by" with BB10. 9900's native browser has its share of issues due to maintenance neglect but, thanks to legacy optimizations, 9900's screen size is perfectly comfortable for 99% of my use.

My overall question still remains unanswered. Why should I endure an uncomfortably oversized device 100% of the time when I only desire a larger screen 1% of the time?

Some folks build larger campfires and stand further away. Other folks build smaller campfires and sit closer. I simply hold my smaller device closer. .
    In a perfect world there should be a true 9900 / Q10 replacement.

Maybe such a phone might be financially feasible if their new PKB is a success. I think that the slider concept should have been the third phone and not the first one.

Love to see a new small PKB , the large PKB and the all touch. All would need to be on Android to keep their costs down.
    05-08-16 10:31 AM
    I fully agree with you. It all comes down to need and what we do most. There is no perfectly sized device. I think that's the thought behind a slider. By "hiding" the keyboard one does not have to deal with a larger device unless needed. Maybe some day they will have screens that enlarge on demand.
    Yeah, slider has possibilities but Priv's "screen centric" priority illustrates a fundamental misunderstanding of BlackBerry's PKB experience. Shortcuts & speed dials are at least half of why I prefer 9900 PKB. What good are shortcuts & speed dials while the KB is hidden away?

My preference, fwiw, would be to slide the screen down behind the keyboard and preserve ready access to keyboard shortcuts & speed dials. Extend to full screen for the two times per week a larger screen is needed. ?? Or maybe even a removable screen?? Lol. Ok, time to wake up.... Lol.
    05-08-16 11:13 AM
    Yeah, slider has possibilities but Priv's "screen centric" priority illustrates a fundamental misunderstanding of BlackBerry's PKB experience. Shortcuts & speed dials are art least half of why I prefer 9900 PKB. What good are shortcuts & speed dials while the KB is hidden away?

My preference, fwiw, would be to slide the screen down behind the keyboard and preserve ready access to keyboard shortcuts & speed dials. Extend to full screen for the two times per week a larger screen is needed. ?? Or maybe even a removable screen?? Lol. Ok, time to wake up.... Lol.
    No, no no. This is how innovation happens!

The screen slides behind the keyboard. So keyboard and small screen are always visible but you can enlarge the screen? That sounds interesting. Mm....
    05-08-16 11:16 AM
    deKlikken. I also use ShortcutMe and Advance OS is great also but deKlikken happens to coexist nicely with our "home hacked" lock app my crew's "smart guys" altered to kill 9900's touch interface.

It's been a while since exploring its limits but recall it will program up to 7 (maybe more?) presses for convenience, mute, vol up&down keys. Shortcuts to media keys are disabled while media is playing tho. Seems like there might be an option to over ride that over ride? Can't recall for sure tho.
    Thanks! I'll have to check that out.
    05-08-16 11:56 AM
    I would love to have an updated 9900!!!

Posted via CB10
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    05-08-16 12:19 PM
    lol 9900 power

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    05-08-16 04:21 PM
    LOL. A 5" screen is not "monster". I can use my Moto G one handed without an issue..
    But MOST people do not have mitts the size of Andre The Giant. I would wager that for MOST people a 5 inch is pretty big. Or even bigger being more impractical such as when I tried to put my friends Iphone 6Plus in my pocket, it just wasnt going to happen no matter how I did it.

"Different strokes" indeed.

05-08-16 04:34 PM
    But MOST people do not have mitts the size of Andre The Giant. I would wager that for MOST people a 5 inch is pretty big. Or even bigger being more impractical such as when I tried to put my friends Iphone 6Plus in my pocket, it just wasnt going to happen no matter how I did it.

"Different strokes" indeed.

Probably your skinny jeans!
    05-08-16 04:41 PM
    Probably your skinny jeans!
    I wish I could, but might not look too "cool" on a 49 year old, but never say never

TgeekB likes this.
    05-08-16 04:43 PM
    My pipe dream is to bring back the BB9900 with both dual core and 2 gb internal ram and leave everything else the same (keep OS7 but update it).
    Sorry but OS7 probably can't handle dual core nor 2 GB of ram. The OS has to be rewritten

Posted via CB10
    05-08-16 07:55 PM
    Sorry but OS7 probably can't handle dual core nor 2 GB of ram. The OS has to be rewritten

Posted via CB10
    Maybe you can get your bank to rewrite it? Hire thurask as the project lead.
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    05-08-16 10:09 PM
    Getting someone like David Yach or maybe Ian Simpson or??? back on board somehow might help add a little legacy "BlackBerry Experience" feel into BB's PKB Droids?? ??

Or, at least, pass a 9900 around the room for a few minutes so their current PKB developers actually see more than distant photos of BB's most, and last, successful device.
    05-09-16 08:55 AM
    Great thread. I've learned some new OS7 tricks!

It's too bad they can't take the Yotaphone approach and give us a 9900 style keyboard phone on the front and a full screen slab on the back.
    05-09-16 12:43 PM
    Maybe you can get your bank to rewrite it? Hire thurask as the project lead.
    Not with a ten foot pole.
    05-09-16 02:00 PM
    I honestly wouldn't mind using an OS7 device, but there is just no way they'd make any amount of money selling them.

I see middle aged people carrying around their 5" Samsungs all day long and they never play a game, watch a video or even listen to music on their device. Maybe the radio. I really think these devices offer them no additional utility to their lives apart from a large expense and a huge footprint in their pant pockets, but they just don't know it or think about it as it's pushed to them by their friends/carriers etc.

Hey, I don't claim to be enlightened, there are plenty of areas where I don't know better and I also ignorantly make the easiest/most popular choice. But there's no good reason for everyone to be using 5"+ touchscreen devices the way its being pushed out now. A lot of people, such as my parents, would do better with a simple, small and cheap / free messaging device that can browse the internet, check the weather and read news headlines with, which the 9900 can do just fine.
    05-09-16 02:31 PM
910 ... 3031323334 ...