Huh... the problem is that none of the work app I need is anywhere to be found on legacy devices. Pretty sure I'm not the only one having this problem

So no... don't bring back legacy devices! It would be suicide

Posted via CB10
    HUH?......did you see what BBerryPowerUser said? He said he is done with BB10 because his Hub doesn't refresh. If there are some buisness apps that don't work for you on the 9900 then you should tell HIM, not me. I don't use my 9900 for buisness. Have a wonderful day filled with gumdrops with the BB logo that fall from the sky

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    05-01-16 06:49 PM
    I did create a thread for this back in December and I detailed the steps. I'll try to find it. I don't know anything about BB10 and never experienced the HUB but ya for my emails to work I had to go right into the Gmail settings (on desktop) and there were toggle options and the one that made all the difference is be sure to toggle "ON" "allow less secure devices" and that did the trick. It took me 3 hours to set up 3 emails but I found out the hard way

Thanks.

On my 9900, I've had Gmail set up for years with no issues. And the Q5 worked for six months beautifully, so it may not be a Gmail issue. I believe I toggled everything correctly, HOWEVER, best look at your step-by-step just to make sure.

Net, net, the 9900 is and has been flawless from the moment I walked out of the ATT store with it working. The only other phone that is close that is my iPhone that I use mostly for music streaming. But I can't use it for business. It's just not a business machine in my view. For music? Nothing beats it, and that's my passion OUTSIDE of work, so I'll always have an iPhone. But I also am a business owner, and I need to get business done and I need a BlackBerry for that.

Of course everyone's opinion is going to be different. I never try and convince someone to change platforms. I just point out why I like the platforms I use.
    05-01-16 08:14 PM
    Thanks.

On my 9900, I've had Gmail set up for years with no issues. And the Q5 worked for six months beautifully, so it may not be a Gmail issue. I believe I toggled everything correctly, HOWEVER, best look at your step-by-step just to make sure.

Net, net, the 9900 is and has been flawless from the moment I walked out of the ATT store with it working. The only other phone that is close that is my iPhone that I use mostly for music streaming. But I can't use it for business. It's just not a business machine in my view. For music? Nothing beats it, and that's my passion OUTSIDE of work, so I'll always have an iPhone. But I also am a business owner, and I need to get business done and I need a BlackBerry for that.

Of course everyone's opinion is going to be different. I never try and convince someone to change platforms. I just point out why I like the platforms I use.
    like myself, I also have an iphone but its been on Vacay since Christmas.

As for the Gmail issue I can only tell you that 5 years ago I never had to use that setting to get my Gmail to work on my 9780, (I dont think they had it) and I never had to do it for ios. It just always worked. So I'm thinking that Google got a little more serious about security WHENEVER they put in those toggle options for "less secure devices" to verify email for notifs, but once you get the email verified then you can toggle it back to full security in Gmail.

Still.....let me know in the 9900 forum what happens and if you get the emails up and running.

EDIT: I cannot find that thread so it must have been someone else's thread that I commented a response. Meh

BBerryPowerUser likes this.
    05-01-16 08:32 PM
    Huh... the problem is that none of the work app I need is anywhere to be found on legacy devices. Pretty sure I'm not the only one having this problem

So no... don't bring back legacy devices! It would be suicide

Posted via CB10
    I use my 9900 exclusively for business. I have Message Preview (a must for me on a BIS machine), LinkedIn, FaceBook (for business - I don't do FaceBook for personal), Calendar, BlackBerry Travel for managing travel (an AMAZING automatic travel management app), Email ++, Kayak for booking travel, and BBM/Text for communication with other BlackBerry users. Finally, NOBEX Contacts is worth the price of the phone for me. Nobex scans all incoming emails and strips out correct contact info and populates your contacts automatically (if it is NEW) if you wish on a case by case basis. It's just stellar. It's saved me from having to build new contacts when I was in a new line of business with new customers that were emailing me. What a great business app. How I WISH there were Nobex contacts for BB10. Unfortunately, no go. So that's the list of my business Apps.

Granted, I'm a business owner and do not need any "specialized" newer Apps for specific work as I'm overseeing a business, not specifically marketing, or running IT or advertising or customer service. If you need these then yes, a legacy device is not for you. But all the core functionality is there. I can open .pdf and Word and Excel. I BRIDGE my 9900 to my Playbook and actually do most of the mobile work on the Playbook since the screen is easier to work on than a small 9900 screen.

Since music is a passion I thought I would mention, you can still use Spotify and Slacker on the 9900. But you need to have an active account to use these as these apps do not support advertising, so only paid accounts work since you are spared advertising with a paid account. But since I have an iPhone for music, I don't use these apps for music, but they do still work for account holders. I have tried them recently and they both still do work, but I have accounts with both.
    Last edited by BBerryPowerUser; 05-01-16 at 09:21 PM.
    roleli likes this.
    05-01-16 08:33 PM
    like myself, I also have an iphone but its been on Vacay since Christmas.

As for the Gmail issue I can only tell you that 5 years ago I never had to use that setting to get my Gmail to work on my 9780, (I dont think they had it) and I never had to do it for ios. It just always worked. So I'm thinking that Google got a little more serious about security WHENEVER they put in those toggle options for "less secure devices" to verify email for notifs, but once you get the email verified then you can toggle it back to full security in Gmail.

Still.....let me know in the 9900 forum what happens and if you get the emails up and running.

EDIT: I cannot find that thread so it must have been someone else's thread that I commented a response. Meh

Will do. Thanks.

Funny, I carried a 9780 with T-Mo for years. That was a machine. And UMA was amazing. I still have it. It's been sitting in a desk drawer since I moved to the 9900.
    05-01-16 08:36 PM
    you can still use Spotify and Slacker on the 9900.
    I like TuneIn

05-01-16 08:59 PM
    I am happy I still have the tried and true 9900 on the primary Business line, I'll say that.

My BB10 device has been a PITA lately with not updating emails in the HUB. I have to re-boot if from scratch 2 or 3 times a day, and the "Swipe from upper right corner to center" re-starts the HUB, but still does not load any new emails. I've tried all the fixes listed online and here at CB. The old 9900 with BIS never misses a beat when it comes to push email. Never has, and probably never will.
    Have you wiped it and started with a clean phone.

Posted via CB10
    05-01-16 09:05 PM
    I'm waiting for "chip implantation," that will be the next step Just THINK of something and you see it before your eyes. (hey there's a good topic for someone if they want to start a thread on it....."Chip implantation for the net, would you be game?"

I'm betting you use Gmail? You might have to play with some settings like I did to get notifs working and make sure you "activate" your email and to do this you might have to "allow less secure devices" which is what I saw for the first time last year when I activated this 9900.

Like the Futurama Eye Phone

Posted via CB10
    05-01-16 09:06 PM
    Like the Futurama Eye Phone

Posted via CB10
    lols well Blackberry should BUILD IT NOW and that would be the next evolotion of the cellular world, then we wouldnt be debating Legacy devices in here

05-01-16 09:15 PM
    Have you wiped it and started with a clean phone.

Posted via CB10
    The nuclear option I am saving as a last resort. I may try wiping it and reloading from BlackBerry Link. If that doesn't do it, then I'll nuke it and start from scratch and rebuild everything from the ground up.
    05-01-16 09:18 PM
    I like TuneIn

Of course. I missed that and should have listed it. I use Tune-In quite a bit on my iPhone, but it does work on a 9900 as well. And it works well as you know.
    05-01-16 09:24 PM
    No. Pointless

There is no doubt that BB 9900 was clearly one of Blackberry's (then RIM) best devices. As an owner of a 9900 (no longer in use) I sympathise with those still deeply attached to the wonderful device. It points to part of the problem that Mike and JIM failed to address, how to transition BBOS users to a new OS. Even in through the Playbook failed experiment the BB9900, and other BBOS devices, proved a worthwhile companion to the tablet. The bridge and remote control among other features were ahead of its time.

However while BB10 failed to capture the needed market share in my opinion it is a massive leap from BBOS. BB10 failed for many reasons including feeling it was too late, provided no easy upgrade path from BBOS and most importantly lack of apps, as developers abandoned RIM for a multitude of reasons.

Going back to BBOS devices is not the answer.
    05-01-16 09:41 PM
    Why am I using a 5yr old BlackBerry while the best of BB10 sits on my desk? Simply because BlackBerry has yet to produce a device I LIKE better! That's not MY fault. That's BB's fault.
    Could you list the features that you are looking for that are not present in the best of the BB10 devices?
    05-01-16 09:45 PM
    No. Pointless

There is no doubt that BB 9900 was clearly one of Blackberry's (then RIM) best devices. As an owner of a 9900 (no longer in use) I sympathise with those still deeply attached to the wonderful device. It points to part of the problem that Mike and JIM failed to address, how to transition BBOS users to a new OS. Even in through the Playbook failed experiment the BB9900, and other BBOS devices, proved a worthwhile companion to the tablet. The bridge and remote control among other features were ahead of its time.

However while BB10 failed to capture the needed market share in my opinion it is a massive leap from BBOS. BB10 failed for many reasons including feeling it was too late, provided no easy upgrade path from BBOS and most importantly lack of apps, as developers abandoned RIM for a multitude of reasons.

Going back to BBOS devices is not the answer.
    Well written. I think I would agree to everything except I believe if Blackberry did bring back something similar to a 9900, it would definately have an updated processor, RAM, camera, etc. I do think it would sell BUT I have no idea if it would make sense because it would have to incorporate Android. The focus is on apps now. People now demand endless apps and bigger screens but it would have a following as the 9900 does.

Also there was too much HYPE for BB10 and after that it was considered a "let down"

Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 05-01-16 at 10:10 PM.
    web99 likes this.
    05-01-16 09:54 PM
    Yes the 9900 form factor, that exact form factor, adjusted to and for Android would have its followers just because of its size, keyboard and great track pad. I can not however see any market or attraction for an expensive BBOS device.

The 9900 was great despite having BBOS.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 05-01-16 at 10:47 PM.
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    05-01-16 10:21 PM
    Put differently, BlackBerry should offer every BlackBerry owner of Classic, Z models, and Passport, the choice of either BB10 or Android - including through BB Link's software update feature. And, port all key BB10 apps to Android. Especially, ensure that BB Hub for Android integrates with key social media apps, e.g. Whatsapp, Facebook Messenger, etc. If 9900 is brought back to market, then offer it with either BB10 or Android. Otherwise, don't bother with the 9900.
    05-02-16 01:49 PM
    No.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    05-02-16 01:54 PM
    I like TuneIn

I've used Tunein on most platforms. Very nice app.
    05-02-16 04:34 PM
    I've used Tunein on most platforms. Very nice app.
    That and AccuWeather are the two apps I use the most--by far--along with the Hub, of course. I use Kindle and Audible. . .and recently CB. Not much else has stood the test of time.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-16 06:26 PM
    That and AccuWeather are the two apps I use the most--by far--along with the Hub, of course.

Posted via CB10
    Yup, I'm a weather freak too! I use Weather Underground though.
    05-02-16 06:28 PM
    Yup, I'm a weather freak too! I use Weather Underground though.
    After I wrote that, I realized I have a call recorder app that I use often. So there's that app, too, heh.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-16 06:47 PM
    Put differently, BlackBerry should offer every BlackBerry owner of Classic, Z models, and Passport, the choice of either BB10 or Android - including through BB Link's software update feature. And, port all key BB10 apps to Android. Especially, ensure that BB Hub for Android integrates with key social media apps, e.g. Whatsapp, Facebook Messenger, etc. If 9900 is brought back to market, then offer it with either BB10 or Android. Otherwise, don't bother with the 9900.
    I guess that means no new 9900 variant (smallish PKB).
    05-02-16 08:38 PM
    Bbos was a piece of crap that should have been replaced back in the days of memory leaks and all the battery pulls

Posted via CB10
    05-02-16 09:29 PM
    Bbos was a piece of crap that should have been replaced back in the days of memory leaks and all the battery pulls

Posted via CB10
    ya that extra 2 minutes a day really took a toll on me

05-02-16 11:12 PM
    My last device was Curve 8310... if only it can keep up with the 'new'-eses OS perhaps i still use it... ahhh just like the glory days of nokia
    05-02-16 11:30 PM
910 ... 2829303132 ...