Still no numbers. Where do we find research based numbers for "corporate captives"? How many of iOS & Droid are "corporate captives"?

Corporate IT depts are customers, also. How many of them are clinging to legacy because it best fits their needs?

Common sense is an invaluable sanity check for numbers. When common sense agrees with numbers, good odds you're correct. When they fail to agree, gotta keep working the problem. Common sense without quantifiable support can only be considered opinion.

My dept staged a unanimous "mini revolt" by purchasing our own 9900s after struggling with Z/Q10s for a year for our very specialized application. I was able to provide management with quantifiable before & after & after again productivity & error numbers. Management reimbursed us and has since purchased virtually anything we want... So long as our productivity keeps setting new records, at least. All in the numbers.
    You're obviously not in the medical field like I am, are you? A Blackberry would be completely non-productive as it has no means to provide life saving information unless you're going to tell me to use the browser. Your research was in regards to your company, not the world of business.

I also stated clearly that not everyone who will get an iPhone will be a fan of it. How you can argue against my points is beyond me.
    04-02-16 07:32 PM
    I quote two former BB engineers saying that BBOS was a flaming pile of garbage by the time BB decided to get rid of it and move onto something from this millennium. Importantly, the "flaming pile of garbage" sentiment was shared by the majority of the public, as evidenced by the speed at which RIM/BB went from hero to zero.

So it's got the 9900 look but internals from this decade? You mean the Classic, which was an obvious sales success.

Retro only works with nostalgia, and the amount of people feeling nostalgic for BBOS dwindles daily. Enough people have good memories of some 1960s deathtrap for car companies to make a car with new guts and an old-style look such that they can squeeze some money out of them. Not enough people have good memories of BBOS, if any memory at all. The market has spoken, and most people on the lower end of the actuarial table have no desire to party like it's 1999.

As for your assertion that the iPhone 5S is retro, is 2013 really far enough to be considered "retro"?

On the subject of flaming piles of garbage, how's your beloved Privvy measuring up?
    04-02-16 07:40 PM
    On the subject of flaming piles of garbage, how's your beloved Privvy measuring up?
    Better than my Passport, thanks for asking.
    04-02-16 07:47 PM
    You're obviously not in the medical field like I am, are you? A Blackberry would be completely non-productive as it has no means to provide life saving information unless you're going to tell me to use the browser. Your research was in regards to your company, not the world of business.

I also stated clearly that not everyone who will get an iPhone will be a fan of it. How you can argue against my points is beyond me.
    Nope. Definitely non-medical. BBOS browser is the last thing I'd recommend for anything remotely critical. Too long since update. My research for my company is too specialized to draw many generalized conclusions. My point with that story was that not ALL corporate users are captive.

I'm not arguing against your points because there are no numbers based conclusions to debate. Only opinion, perfectly valid as it is. Surely the med field understands that distinction?

My old profs demanded numbers with all conclusions. Old habits, ya kno. The easiest way to change my mind is thru numbers. Present verifiably quantifiable data that most of those existing 12M legacy userbase are unwilling corporate captives and I'll readily concede the point.
    04-02-16 09:10 PM
    Nope. Definitely non-medical. BBOS browser is the last thing I'd recommend for anything remotely critical. Too long since update. My research for my company is too specialized to draw many generalized conclusions. My point with that story was that not ALL corporate users are captive.

I'm not arguing against your points because there are no numbers based conclusions to debate. Only opinion, perfectly valid as it is. Surely the med field understands that distinction?

My old profs demanded numbers with all conclusions. Old habits, ya kno. The easiest way to change my mind is thru numbers. Present verifiably quantifiable data that most of those existing 12M legacy userbase are unwilling corporate captives and I'll readily concede the point.
    I hope I didn't give the impression that I believed all corporate users were captive. My point was that not all corporate users are terrified of losing blackberry. How many? Who knows. Many have left already so that should tell us something. Maybe someone will do a study someday, I'm certainly not going to!
    idssteve likes this.
    04-02-16 09:21 PM
    Steve, I have a mint 9900 sitting in a drawer. Please describe for me what the BlackBerry experience is . If they made an Android retro device what would be lost in the translation ?

Posted via CB10
    I don't know enough about Android to predict what might, or might not, get lost in the translation. Probably some but ?? Android based retro would likely be the best we could hope for, at this point. That retro would need to be sized for a human hand, for starters. Toolbelt on Android is probably not realistic so... Some combo of shortcuts & cap keyboard might prove a tolerable substitute but tough sell to the hard core. Given lack of alternatives, I, for one, would be tempted, fwiw. Any idea of Vienna's form factor?
    Bbnivende likes this.
    04-02-16 09:37 PM
    Nope, just nope.
    04-02-16 09:40 PM
    It is, much more important than stressing over cell phones.

Let me give you an example. Our company is buying iPhone 6's for administrative staff. They don't get a choice of anything else, unless like me they use their own device. Does that mean they are all iPhone fans? Of course not. Do you think, using common sense, all Blackberry corporate users are Blackberry fans?

Don't stress yourself, just try the common sense thing.
    Um ok, whatever you say.
    04-02-16 11:32 PM
    Toolbelt on Android is probably not realistic
    Android has built-in physical keyboard and mouse support (which works very much like the classic's touchpad navigation on my Android TV box), and other manufacturers seem to have no trouble mapping on-screen functions to capacitive buttons. Back in the day, the Acer beTouch e130, e210, Motorola Defy Pro, and HTC ChaCha all had dedicated call and end buttons. The first three had BlackBerry-like toolbelts.

So I think the toolbelt would be relatively easy to implement on Android. So if you meant 'feasible' when you said realistic, I think it is feasible. If you meant 'likely' .... well, that's a different question.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    04-04-16 10:01 AM
    Android has built-in physical keyboard and mouse support (which works very much like the classic's touchpad navigation on my Android TV box), and other manufacturers seem to have no trouble mapping on-screen functions to capacitive buttons. Back in the day, the Acer beTouch e130, e210, Motorola Defy Pro, and HTC ChaCha all had dedicated call and end buttons. The first three had BlackBerry-like toolbelts.

So I think the toolbelt would be relatively easy to implement on Android. So if you meant 'feasible' when you said realistic, I think it is feasible. If you meant 'likely' .... well, that's a different question.

Thanks! Good to know. Not knowing anything about droid, I meant both. We can always hope for "Likely".
    04-04-16 06:40 PM
    Does blackberry still see itself as an end device producer? Or is it trying to fight for a way out from the direction of business solutions ? To many, BlackBerry is all about physical keyboard and a clean BB10 OS with scarce app choices.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-16 09:30 AM
    No times have changed!
    04-05-16 06:29 PM
    I am happy I still have the tried and true 9900 on the primary Business line, I'll say that.

My BB10 device has been a PITA lately with not updating emails in the HUB. I have to re-boot if from scratch 2 or 3 times a day, and the "Swipe from upper right corner to center" re-starts the HUB, but still does not load any new emails. I've tried all the fixes listed online and here at CB. The old 9900 with BIS never misses a beat when it comes to push email. Never has, and probably never will.
    04-30-16 04:06 PM
    The old 9900 with BIS never misses a beat when it comes to push email. Never has, and probably never will.
    ...while BIS is around. Give it time.
    04-30-16 04:08 PM
    No, let's move forward...

Posted via my incredible Passport
    04-30-16 04:39 PM
    ...while BIS is around. Give it time.
    Meh, by the time BIS is gone, I'll have moved on by necessity anyway. I suspect we will see such astounding advances in smartphone tech in the next five years that what we are using today will look like an old Motorola Brick by comparison. Well, at least I hope so.

I shut down my BB10 today. I can't deal with the lack of HUB refresh, so the SIM has been moved to another phone. Sad. I really like BB10. I may give it one more try tomorrow and see if I can figure out why the HUB keeps going static on me. If not, as many have said, time to move on. I'll still have the 9900 on the business line to keep one foot in the BBerry camp for a while.
    04-30-16 08:10 PM
    Meh, by the time BIS is gone, I'll have moved on by necessity anyway. I suspect we will see such astounding advances in smartphone tech in the next five years that what we are using today will look like an old Motorola Brick by comparison. Well, at least I hope so.

I shut down my BB10 today. I can't deal with the lack of HUB refresh, so the SIM has been moved to another phone. Sad. I really like BB10. I may give it one more try tomorrow and see if I can figure out why the HUB keeps going static on me. If not, as many have said, time to move on. I'll still have the 9900 on the business line to keep one foot in the BBerry camp for a while.
    9900 is serving me well and I am a power user keeping multiple apps open at a time sometimes. You'll be fine.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 05-01-16 at 03:18 AM.
    BBerryPowerUser likes this.
    04-30-16 11:19 PM
    No, let's move forward...

Posted via my incredible Passport
    I agree, time to move on. Perhaps they should bring back Nokia 3310.

 De - Governor 
    05-01-16 09:21 AM
    9900 is serving me well and I am a power user keeping multiple apps open at a time sometimes. You'll be fine.

I agree, and I'm not worried. Sure, BIS will some day be shut down, just like the old Nextel network, but by then I probably won't be needing a "smartphone" the way we think of them today. Either that or I'll be retired and just having a "Play" phone will be good enough. No need for productivity at that point.

I'll miss BB10 if I can't get the lack of HUB email update issue fixed. I'm going to play with it today one more time and see if I can't figure out what's going on. I'll delete all of my email accounts and build that up again from scratch. That may solve the problem. Again, you never have to worry about that with BIS on the 9900. It just plain works. It's still a great business tool for many of us.
    05-01-16 09:28 AM
    I agree, and I'm not worried. Sure, BIS will some day be shut down, just like the old Nextel network, but by then I probably won't be needing a "smartphone" the way we think of them today. Either that or I'll be retired and just having a "Play" phone will be good enough. No need for productivity at that point.

I'll miss BB10 if I can't get the lack of HUB email update issue fixed. I'm going to play with it today one more time and see if I can't figure out what's going on. I'll delete all of my email accounts and build that up again from scratch. That may solve the problem. Again, you never have to worry about that with BIS on the 9900. It just plain works. It's still a great business tool for many of us.
    If I were you I would use your Blackberry Link to load up a version of the OS when the Q10 was working well. Each their own I guess.
    05-01-16 10:25 AM
    If I were you I would use your Blackberry Link to load up a version of the OS when the Q10 was working well. Each their own I guess.
    That's actually the ticket I think.
    05-01-16 02:33 PM
    I'm waiting for "chip implantation," that will be the next step Just THINK of something and you see it before your eyes. (hey there's a good topic for someone if they want to start a thread on it....."Chip implantation for the net, would you be game?"

I'm betting you use Gmail? You might have to play with some settings like I did to get notifs working and make sure you "activate" your email and to do this you might have to "allow less secure devices" which is what I saw for the first time last year when I activated this 9900.

05-01-16 02:43 PM
    I'm waiting for "chip implantation," that will be the next step Just THINK of something and you see it before your eyes. (hey there's a good topic for someone if they want to start a thread on it....."Chip implantation for the net, would you be game?"

I'm betting you use Gmail? You might have to play with some settings like I did to get notifs working and make sure you "activate" your email and to do this you might have to "allow less secure devices" which is what I saw for the first time last year when I activated this 9900.

Yes, I DO use Gmail, but only for updates from online Forums, as I use my Gmail account for those (like CB). Hmmm... so you think that Gmail activation and/or "Allow Less Secure Devices" may be the culprit of my Hub not updating? I thought I had done that, but it's been so long, perhaps I missed a step, and now I'm paying the price. Come to think of it, I believe I added my Gmail to my HUB about the time the HUB started having issues refreshing.... Hmmm. I could be wrong, but it's a thought.
    05-01-16 04:26 PM

Huh... the problem is that none of the work app I need is anywhere to be found on legacy devices. Pretty sure I'm not the only one having this problem

So no... don't bring back legacy devices! It would be suicide

Posted via CB10
    05-01-16 06:26 PM
    Yes, I DO use Gmail, but only for updates from online Forums, as I use my Gmail account for those (like CB). Hmmm... so you think that Gmail activation and/or "Allow Less Secure Devices" may be the culprit of my Hub not updating? I thought I had done that, but it's been so long, perhaps I missed a step, and now I'm paying the price. Come to think of it, I believe I added my Gmail to my HUB about the time the HUB started having issues refreshing.... Hmmm. I could be wrong, but it's a thought.
    I did create a thread for this back in December and I detailed the steps. I'll try to find it. I don't know anything about BB10 and never experienced the HUB but ya for my emails to work I had to go right into the Gmail settings (on desktop) and there were toggle options and the one that made all the difference is be sure to toggle "ON" "allow less secure devices" and that did the trick. It took me 3 hours to set up 3 emails but I found out the hard way

05-01-16 06:28 PM
910 ... 2728293031 ...