Yet, a lemon BBOS car isn't let into the Instagram supermarket, Google Play movie theater or Snapchat school, is it.
    I'll just pretend I didnt see this jibberish, and back slowly to the door so as not to step on your brilliant logical analogies

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-01-16 04:07 PM
    a Generalization that is easy to criticize. And what does Disney have to do with Blackberry then, any more than retro styling has to do with the success of the VW Beetle or Dodge Challenger sales?

OK, I was being cute!

Look, I think anyone willing to open their eyes will see Blackberry decided a few years back to become a software company. We can be nostalgic all we want but it is quite evident their hardware days are behind them. Too bad, but true.
    04-01-16 04:08 PM
    keep using BBOS. .
    I will thank you, myself and 11 million others that use it and love it will continue to use it. Thank you for your blessing, it really does mean a lot to me

04-01-16 04:08 PM
    Why take this so personal? The people on Crackberry did not decide Blackberrys fate.
    04-01-16 04:10 PM
    Retro does sell, but I think the fit has to be just right. There have to be enough people, like you, who say "wait, that might be really cool!"
    Exactly!

04-01-16 04:10 PM
    OK, I was being cute!

Look, I think anyone willing to open their eyes will see Blackberry decided a few years back to become a software company. We can be nostalgic all we want but it is quite evident their hardware days are behind them. Too bad, but true.
    I would agree to this also! But I also would love to see some major innovation on BB's part. If they still want to play the Handset game they are going to need some amazing new innovation like that Raised Glass Keyboard technology or something that slaps you in the face to wake you up in the morning. Anything to get people and investors and potential customers talking again. Is that a terrible thing?

04-01-16 04:14 PM
    Exactly!

What's your idea of enough?
    04-01-16 04:18 PM
    I would agree to this also! But I also would love to see some major innovation on BB's part. If they still want to play the Handset game they are going to need some amazing new innovation like that Raised Glass Keyboard technology or something that slaps you in the face to wake you up in the morning. Anything to get people and investors and potential customers talking again. Is that a terrible thing?

I don't think they want to play the handset game any more.
    They brought in Chen to make cuts to the very people needed to drive hardware innovation and change to a software company.

Look, I feel for you. You are a true loyal customer. I was where you are a few years back but got screwed too many times. Finally I decided to move on while watching from the back seat. Nothing I have seen has changed my decision. I wish Blackberry, the software company, much success. I only still hang out on Crackberry because of the good people and good conversation!
    Bbnivende, Jerry A and BigBadWulf like this.
    04-01-16 04:19 PM
    Why take this so personal? The people on Crackberry did not decide Blackberrys fate.

It's personal because those 12M of us who still value the best PKB devices ever made have NO where to turn once BB's out. Glass lovers will be just as happy with a Samsung or any number of excellent alternatives. Where do true believers in "BlackBerry Experience" turn? ?? We're SOL. And a few around here who no longer even use BlackBerry can't even resist demeaning the dieing.

BB has destroyed itself chasing a glass unicorn. Now we'll likely soon have neither.
    04-01-16 05:45 PM
    It's personal because those 12M of us who still value the best PKB devices ever made have NO where to turn once BB's out. Glass lovers will be just as happy with a Samsung or any number of excellent alternatives. Where do true believers in "BlackBerry Experience" turn? ?? We're SOL. And a few around here who no longer even use BlackBerry can't even resist demeaning the dieing.

BB has destroyed itself chasing a glass unicorn. Now we'll likely soon have neither.
    Many of those 12M are forced to use due to economic reasons or their employer. Its likely much less than even that small amount.

Things change. People adapt. I'm not sure what else to say.
    04-01-16 05:49 PM
    Many of those 12M are forced to use due to economic reasons or their employer. Its likely much less than even that small amount.
    Sounds like something they teach at the bobshine school of business. If that makes you feel more comfortable, carry on.
    04-01-16 09:37 PM
    and MY point was that Retro can and DOES sell, I more than proved that to you

There is a proven demand for retro in many markets however with high end phones it's not the case. The iPhone SE is not a good example because it is a proven form factor and display size of 4' is still common among phones not to mention the iPhone market has a much greater pool to draw from so the "retro" version is going to be more palatable.

What exactly are we saying? A BlackBerry 9900 form with updated internals and a 2.8' display and BB10 installed? This is completely unrealistic. And if the suggestion is to have an updated BBOS7 installed that is even more unrealistic. Just because 1 out of a 1000 might think it's cool is not a good reason to move forward.

This magical device you are looking for is the Classic and if you don't agree then stick to the 9900, anything else is fantasy. The best "retro" model that may happen may be manufacturing an "as is" legacy model for release in a market where legacies still have a strong share like Indonesia with a sticker price of under $100.
    Last edited by DamianWarS; 04-02-16 at 07:36 AM.
    04-02-16 03:14 AM
    The iPhone SE is not a good example because it is a proven form factor and display size of 4'

This magical device you are looking for is the Classic and if you don't agree then stick to the 9900
    that is why the SE was mentioned, because it is smaller and so is the 9900.

Yes that is WHY we stick with the 9900, we don't agree. If that is your choice then thats fine, you may stick with the Classic.

04-02-16 03:23 AM
    Sounds like something they teach at the bobshine school of business. If that makes you feel more comfortable, carry on.
    Sounds more like common sense to me. I'm very comfortable, thank you.
    04-02-16 06:22 AM
    You are correct. It's common sense....which BTW Is taught in B-school to never forget and make sure always present.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-16 07:04 AM
    that is why the SE was mentioned, because it is smaller and so is the 9900.

Yes that is WHY we stick with the 9900, we don't agree. If that is your choice then thats fine, you may stick with the Classic.

That's not my choice it's BlackBerry's choice and if you talked to a BlackBerry exec about an upgrade option for the 9900 they would point you to the Classic. I use the Passport SE.
    04-02-16 07:43 AM
    That's not my choice it's BlackBerry's choice and if you talked to a BlackBerry exec about an upgrade option for the 9900 they would point you to the Classic. I use the Passport SE.
    That's exactly why BB is failing. Next to no basic understanding of the markets they think they're targeting.

As with post ML BB itself, that statement represents a fundamental misunderstanding of legacy appeal. There is far, far more to "BlackBerry Experience" than JUST a toolbelt. Or just the Q10's form factor. The combination of form factor AND features is what keeps legacy alive. Both Classic and Q10 missed by a mile. Predictably so, by ANYone truly understanding "the BlackBerry Experience".

It's as if BB is so afraid of repeat business they just can't bring themselves to recombine all the valued features into a single device. You can cobble a Porsche steering wheel into a Kenworth but that Kenworth is still a tractor.

In the end, it's not about what any of us WANT. BB hardware must survive before it can succeed. Until they figure out how to somehow market a better & cheaper Samsung, legacy niche MIGHT provide essential life support. BB's last profitable year was legacy. Neither BB10 nor droid can yet make that claim, AFAIK.

My question is: what exactly are you, and some loud BB minority, saying? That BB's only hope for survival is a monster sized slab complete with wheels for carrying and step ladder to reach "send"?? Lol.
    04-02-16 08:12 AM
    That's exactly why BB is failing. Next to no basic understanding of the markets they think they're targeting.

As with post ML BB itself, that statement represents a fundamental misunderstanding of legacy appeal. There is far, far more to "BlackBerry Experience" than JUST a toolbelt. Or just the Q10's form factor. The combination of form factor AND features is what keeps legacy alive. Both Classic and Q10 missed by a mile. Predictably so, by ANYone truly understanding "the BlackBerry Experience".

It's as if BB is so afraid of repeat business they just can't bring themselves to recombine all the valued features into a single device. You can cobble a Porsche steering wheel into a Kenworth but that Kenworth is still a tractor.

In the end, it's not about what any of us WANT. BB hardware must survive before it can succeed. Until they figure out how to somehow market a better & cheaper Samsung, legacy niche MIGHT provide essential life support. BB's last profitable year was legacy. Neither BB10 nor droid can yet make that claim, AFAIK.

My question is: what exactly are you, and some loud BB minority, saying? That BB's only hope for survival is a monster sized slab complete with wheels for carrying and step ladder to reach "send"?? Lol.
    Steve, I have a mint 9900 sitting in a drawer. Please describe for me what the BlackBerry experience is . If they made an Android retro device what would be lost in the translation ?

Posted via CB10
    04-02-16 10:47 AM
    Get your common sense out of here, this is CrackBerry!
    bungaboy, rthonpm, JeepBB and 1 others like this.
    04-02-16 11:17 AM
    Get your common sense out of here, this is CrackBerry!
    Sorry, I forgot.
    04-02-16 11:18 AM
    No, sounds like opinion and not based on facts. Unless you surveyed those 12 mil and came to such results. But i'm glad you're comfortable, because that's important.
    04-02-16 03:05 PM
    No, sounds like opinion and not based on facts. Unless you surveyed those 12 mil and came to such results. But i'm glad you're comfortable, because that's important.
    It is, much more important than stressing over cell phones.

Let me give you an example. Our company is buying iPhone 6's for administrative staff. They don't get a choice of anything else, unless like me they use their own device. Does that mean they are all iPhone fans? Of course not. Do you think, using common sense, all Blackberry corporate users are Blackberry fans?

Don't stress yourself, just try the common sense thing.
    Ronindan, DrBoomBotz and JeepBB like this.
    04-02-16 03:48 PM

Let me give you an example. Our company is buying iPhone 6's for administrative staff. They don't get a choice of anything else, unless like me they use their own device. Does that mean they are all iPhone fans? Of course not. Do you think, using common sense, all Blackberry corporate users are Blackberry fans?

In my case, I am scheduled to receive my work issued bb classic. Given the choice I rather carry only one phone (my nexus 6p). As my employer has not rolled out the new byod policy.
    04-02-16 03:59 PM
    In my case, I am scheduled to receive my work issued bb classic. Given the choice I rather carry only one phone (my nexus 6p). As my employer has not rolled out the new byod policy.
    That's my biggest peeve also. I'm not carrying two phones.
    Ronindan likes this.
    04-02-16 04:07 PM

Still no numbers. Where do we find research based numbers for "corporate captives"? How many of iOS & Droid are "corporate captives"?

Corporate IT depts are customers, also. How many of them are clinging to legacy because it best fits their needs?

Common sense is an invaluable sanity check for numbers. When common sense agrees with numbers, good odds you're correct. When they fail to agree, gotta keep working the problem. Common sense without quantifiable support can only be considered opinion.

My dept staged a unanimous "mini revolt" by purchasing our own 9900s after struggling with Z/Q10s for a year for our very specialized application. I was able to provide management with quantifiable before & after & after again productivity & error numbers. Management reimbursed us and has since purchased virtually anything we want... So long as our productivity keeps setting new records, at least. All in the numbers.
    04-02-16 07:26 PM
910 ... 2627282930 ...