No. QNX. Which they do own. But did not create. When I say stop making software I only mean for phones.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Roger that

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    southlander likes this.
    03-27-16 04:30 PM
    While we're at it, I hope Nokia releases a flip phone.

Posted via CB10
    I've heard they actually make quite a bit of money on feature phones like flip phones. I'm not even sure they make smartphones after the Microsoft merger, do they?
    03-28-16 02:04 AM
    I've heard they actually make quite a bit of money on feature phones like flip phones. I'm not even sure they make smartphones after the Microsoft merger, do they?
    Microsoft also acquired the Asha line as part of the Nokia acquisition.

I believe Microsoft shut down the Asha line.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-28-16 06:48 AM
    They don't make phones anymore. From what I understand they sold their phone division to Microsoft. Even when Nokia did sell phones they also made the telecommunication equipment that helped cell phones work. Some of their research helped the spread of 2G and 3G. I don't know the details or the extent of their work, but I do remember reading something about that.

Now that they don't make phones anymore they've concentrated on the telecommunications equipment and software side of the business. So it seems that since they could not compete with Apple or Google on cell phones they switched gears and focused on another aspect of telecommunications. Hmmm... sounds like another company I've heard about.
    03-28-16 11:08 PM
    Oh the irony, let's look at the typewriter today, invented in 1714, 300 years later it's not only still being made, it actually enjoys growing sales.

So what was your point about typewriters?
    So sales went from zero to one? We're not exactly talking about an item flying off the shelves. Not really making a strong case...

Outside of law offices, Unabombers, and the highly paranoid, the typewriter is still dead.

Posted via CB10
    Ronindan and TgeekB like this.
    04-01-16 05:59 AM
    So sales went from zero to one? We're not exactly talking about an item flying off the shelves. Not really making a strong case...

Outside of law offices, Unabombers, and the highly paranoid, the typewriter is still dead.

Posted via CB10
    Spot on - nostalgia is good and all but it does not equate to mass market sales.
    04-01-16 06:34 AM
    Spot on - nostalgia is good and all but it does not equate to mass market sales.
    Nostalgia seems to not be hurting the new Dodge Challenger sales, or the retro styled Mustangs, or VW Beetles, we won't even get into the fact that the big 3 make millions re-manufacturing all the old parts again to restore vintage cars, musclecars, etc.

ya you're right, no one wants anything old anymore, especially collectors.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jimhenry.../#1615752270c4

04-01-16 10:56 AM
    except how much are those cars compared to an old bb. how much is a vintage car part compared to a bb track ball.

Importantly a vintage car is called vintage for a reason. As they were released back in the 60 or 70s. No one is clamoring for late 1990 or early 2000 mustang or dodge. no one calls those models classics or vintage. same with bbs; the bold 900 was released in 2012 or 2013 does not make it vintage.
    04-01-16 11:12 AM
    except how much are those cars compared to an old bb. how much us vintage car part compared to bb track ball. Importantly vintage cars are called vintage for a reason as they were released back in the 60 or 70s. No one is clamoring for late 1990 or early 2000 mustang or dodge. no one call those models classics or vintage. same with bb, the bold 900 was released in 2012 or 2013 does not make it vintage.
    FAIL

04-01-16 11:13 AM
    FAIL

nice none answer
    TgeekB likes this.
    04-01-16 11:14 AM

Importantly a vintage car is called vintage for a reason. As they were released back in the 60 or 70s.
    Do I REALLY have to waste time explaining to you that the NEW Cars like VW Beetle and Challenger are BRAND NEW but they are RETRO STYLED and that OLD STYLING is selling very well.

get it?

As for the weak "trackball" example you gave, the Blackberries had UPGRADED trackpads and you can use the example of this compared to say.......an electronic ignition UPGRADE on the NEW retro styled Dodge Challenger automobile (THAT IS MEANT TO LOOK LIKE AN OLD CAR)

get it yet?

Will you ask 10 more meaningless questions??? Because I have given you a link and proof that RETRO things can be VERY successful and one cannot say that "retro does NOT sell"

04-01-16 11:24 AM
    so bb is already doing that. they released the classic afterall. same retro styling with modern parts etc... so are those selling well?
    04-01-16 11:32 AM
    so bb is already doing that. they released the classic afterall. same retro styling with modern parts etc... so are those selling well?
    There is ALWAYS a market for retro things, it does not mean the company overall made EVERY failed decision the correct way. There is always a bigger picture.
    04-01-16 11:36 AM
    And if I am not mistaken, someone in here posted a recent link showing that more Blackberry users currently use the older BBOS devices than the new ones.
    04-01-16 11:38 AM
    Except bb is not some boutique smartphone manufacturer. They are a software communication firm. their current size, organization is ill-equipped to service that market (if there is indeed a market for legacy bb).
    04-01-16 11:41 AM
    And if I am not mistaken, someone in here posted a recent link showing that more Blackberry users currently use the older BBOS devices than the new ones.
    that user base is getting smaller as well.
    04-01-16 11:42 AM
    Except bb is not some boutique smartphone manufacturer. They are a software communication firm. their current size, organization is ill-equipped to service that market (if there is indeed a market for legacy bb).
    I never said they were. But at least there is a little bit of good news today....

BlackBerry beats expectations but posts Q4 loss of $238M US. It posted revenue of $464M.
    04-01-16 11:46 AM
    all in all that is good news except for the hardware division.
    04-01-16 11:47 AM
    that user base is getting smaller as well.
    We can speculate all day on what Blackberry did or didn't do correctly
    04-01-16 11:47 AM
    all in all that is good news except the hardware arm.
    If they can take some revenue and come up with an amazing new innovation for a new handset that everyone has to have, great. But this is the dream right now.
    04-01-16 11:50 AM
    There is ALWAYS a market for retro things, it does not mean the company overall made EVERY failed decision the correct way. There is always a bigger picture.
    Dodge can faff about with retro-styled Challengers because they also have cars designed for 2016 that people can buy. BlackBerry doesn't have the luxury to push two failing device lines.

Furthermore, taking the VW Beetle as an example, I don't think a 2016 Beetle shares much in the way mechanically with a 1939 Beetle. It may have retro style, but it has modern amenities like a fuel gauge. On the other hand, given the state of BBOS, it's stone knives and bear skins compared to anything else on the market.
    TgeekB likes this.
    04-01-16 11:54 AM
    Dodge can faff about with retro-styled Challengers because they also have cars designed for 2016 that people can buy. BlackBerry doesn't have the luxury to push two failing device lines.

Furthermore, taking the VW Beetle as an example, I don't think a 2016 Beetle shares much in the way mechanically with a 1939 Beetle. It may have retro style, but it has modern amenities like a fuel gauge. On the other hand, given the state of BBOS, it's stone knives and bear skins compared to anything else on the market.
    Blackberry also offers many models besides the retro classic, they all sell, the preference is subjective

The argument was that Retro sells. You better also factor in the dollar value compared to 1939, improved safety features, and the fact there are more people by population today.

If retro didn't sell, they would not have felt the need to have the Challenger and New Beetle, they are doing well in sales. THATS The point.
    04-01-16 11:59 AM
    Blackberry also offers many models besides the retro classic, they all sell
    Not according to today's report...
    04-01-16 12:00 PM
    Aha but you also do not see Dodge axing their offerings that are successful just because more people are buying one particular model. In lean times having more offerings can save the company, like when gas was $1.50 per litre in 2008, not many bought large trucks or SUV's, they flocked to the smaller more economical cars.

More offerings is always better
    04-01-16 12:02 PM
    More offerings is always better
    If people are receptive to at least one of them, yes.

Not in BlackBerry's case.
    04-01-16 12:03 PM
910 ... 2425262728 ...