It's actually an iPhone 5 with new guts, it will be the third generation and it's not the first time Apple keeps the exact same shape but upgrades internals.

You have to admire Apple sometimes.
    I was thinking the same. As much as I am not a fan, at least Apple seems to be more in tune with what their customers want. Here they are recognizing that a significant amount of customers are still buying 4 inch iPhones, and released the iPhone SE in response. While the experts here are all caught up on enforcing the flagship legacy 9900 staying dead, Apple revives an older device design with new internals and business carries on.

Kyocera has also just released a 4G LTE flip phone called the DuraXE, and it's carried by At&t and Bell. So it just goes to show that there are customers out there that are interested.

Like I said in earlier posts, an updated 9900 would not be meant to displace any current device. It would just be an additional offering. Its too bad that so many BlackBerry users are divided on this, as this anti legacy attitude is actually hindering opportunities IMO.
    Sulaco757 likes this.
    03-25-16 10:48 AM
    Its too bad that so many BlackBerry users are divided on this, as this anti legacy attitude is actually hindering opportunities IMO.
    Opinions posted on CrackBerry are not hindering ANY opportunities for BlackBerry in any way, shape or form, IMO.
    TgeekB, Ronindan and Blacklatino like this.
    03-25-16 11:10 AM
    I'm sure it's been said already (601 replies and I've only scrolled through the first few pages). But I assumed the Classic *was* a legacy device that was brought back. Frankly, with the introduction of the iPhone SE, I'd opt for a taller 4" screen version of my Q10. THAT would satisfy me (but would obviously be a market 'loser').

Posted via CB10
    03-25-16 11:37 AM
    I'm sure it's been said already (601 replies and I've only scrolled through the first few pages). But I assumed the Classic *was* a legacy device that was brought back. Frankly, with the introduction of the iPhone SE, I'd opt for a taller 4" screen version of my Q10. THAT would satisfy me (but would obviously be a market 'loser').

Posted via CB10
    The Classic was designed with the feel of the legacy devices, but running BB10. It was made to appeal to business customers.
    03-25-16 11:50 AM
    It's actually an iPhone 5 with new guts, it will be the third generation and it's not the first time Apple keeps the exact same shape but upgrades internals.

You have to admire Apple sometimes.
    Yup
    03-25-16 12:03 PM
    I was thinking the same. As much as I am not a fan, at least Apple seems to be more in tune with what their customers want. Here they are recognizing that a significant amount of customers are still buying 4 inch iPhones, and released the iPhone SE in response. While the experts here are all caught up on enforcing the flagship legacy 9900 staying dead, Apple revives an older device design with new internals and business carries on.

Kyocera has also just released a 4G LTE flip phone called the DuraXE, and it's carried by At&t and Bell. So it just goes to show that there are customers out there that are interested.

Like I said in earlier posts, an updated 9900 would not be meant to displace any current device. It would just be an additional offering. Its too bad that so many BlackBerry users are divided on this, as this anti legacy attitude is actually hindering opportunities IMO.
    But Apple only has one OS not three.
    03-25-16 01:35 PM
    Triple the opportunities... Lol.

AFAIK, to date, the only one of the three to make money for BB is BBOS.
    03-25-16 09:57 PM
    The issue seems to be a desire to update both the form and the OS of a flagship legacy but not wanting BB10 and not wanting a phone like the Classic. This is way too narrow of a market. iPhone SE does show a market for a legacy device in form but with a modern experience not with a legacy experience. People need to wake up and realize that the Classic IS this phone. If you want a 9900 then continue to use one and there still are plenty of ways to get a new one but if you want an upgraded phone with a legacy flavour the Classic was design just for that market.
    Last edited by DamianWarS; 03-26-16 at 05:30 AM.
    03-26-16 01:21 AM
    The Classic was designed with the feel of the legacy devices, but running BB10. It was made to appeal to business customers.
    So legacy means antique? I owned a 9900 Bold for years prior to switching to a Q10. 3 days in and I was hooked. The Bold was fine, but BB10 is faster and browsing-capable. The Bold . Maybe I'm missing something here, but what was so wonderful about BB7?

Posted via CB10
    03-26-16 01:49 AM
    I have a Classic. Two of them, ftm. Sticking a toolbelt onto an oversized, overweight, fixed battery monstrosity simply failed to adequately impress legacy niche. Numbers speak for themselves. I'm not sure WHAT market it was truly aimed at. I doubt BB knows. You can fit a Ferrari steering wheel into a Kenworth but that Kenworth is still a tractor.

What I do know, is that my hand hasn't grown in the five years since 9900. There is simply no technique and no amount of practice that can make my thumb comfortably reach the far key column while maintaining secure grasp of the handset. After a year with Classic, my typing rate and precision is still vastly better on my old 9900.

It doesn't seem to matter how fast "technology" out paces biology, biology just hasn't yet caught up. Lol.

BB10.3.2 itself provides a marginally "tolerable" toolbelt experience. My biggest complaint, these days, is trying to trackpad scroll down a webpage without getting stuck at the stupid address bar that I NEVER use. I'm not on latest OS so maybe that's been corrected? It would be nice if the devs had maybe used a 9900 for a few minutes in their lives. Don't get me started on 10.3.2 Calendar... Lol.
    03-26-16 02:21 AM
    I have a Classic. Two of them, ftm. Sticking a toolbelt onto an oversized, overweight, fixed battery monstrosity simply failed to adequately impress legacy niche. Numbers speak for themselves. I'm not sure WHAT market it was truly aimed at. I doubt BB knows. You can fit a Ferrari steering wheel into a Kenworth but that Kenworth is still a tractor.

What I do know, is that my hand hasn't grown in the five years since 9900. There is simply no technique and no amount of practice that can make my thumb comfortably reach the far key column while maintaining secure grasp of the handset. After a year with Classic, my typing rate and precision is still vastly better on my old 9900.

It doesn't seem to matter how fast "technology" out paces biology, biology just hasn't yet caught up. Lol.

BB10.3.2 itself provides a marginally "tolerable" toolbelt experience. My biggest complaint, these days, is trying to trackpad scroll down a webpage without getting stuck at the stupid address bar that I NEVER use. I'm not on latest OS so maybe that's been corrected? It would be nice if the devs had maybe used a 9900 for a few minutes in their lives. Don't get me started on 10.3.2 Calendar... Lol.
    I think a lot of people wanted a larger screen, though I understand the 9900 was the right size for you.
    03-26-16 06:23 AM
    So legacy means antique? I owned a 9900 Bold for years prior to switching to a Q10. 3 days in and I was hooked. The Bold was fine, but BB10 is faster and browsing-capable. The Bold . Maybe I'm missing something here, but what was so wonderful about BB7?

Posted via CB10
    No, legacy means pre-BB10. It was not wonderful at all. Its just a word that people use to talk about the older model BlackBerrys.

What it can be referring to, I assume, is the legacy sales of BlackBerrrys when they were leaders in business phones, maybe.
    03-26-16 11:08 AM
    It was not wonderful at all.

maybe.
    Ralph Cry *Sniff*

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    03-26-16 12:02 PM
    What it can be referring to, I assume, is the legacy sales of BlackBerrrys when they were leaders in business phones, maybe.
    Bringing back legacy devices won't bring back legacy attitudes.

A new Bold might satisfy the literally moribund handful that want legacy devices for the sum of their parts, but putting out a Bold in 2016 won't have the same cachet as a Bold in 2009. The rest of the market has moved on from keyboards and tiny screens and onto social media, apps and content consumption, none of which are particularly doable on a dinky Bold.
    03-26-16 12:08 PM
    I actually saw two Q10's yesterday. Both owned by middle aged women. One was a lawyer ( she told me). Both were checking their hubs. I would have preferred a Q10 over the 9900 just because I think that BB10 is better.

I can see the value in a small PKB device like the Q10. Really pocket purse friendly.

Love to see a Q10 replacement but only if it runs Android. BB10 is now dead in the market place.

Out in Vancouver today where all you see are mainly the iPhone 6 plus.

So my vote is for a Q10 running Android with a capacitive keyboard.
    03-26-16 01:06 PM
    according to this, BB7 and BB10 are a whopping 78% of Blackberry revenue and if the BB7 users are gone that means a hit of 211 million to the company!

The loss of BB7 "will be a very BAD PROBLEM for Blackberry"

https://theoverspill.wordpress.com/2...g-bad-problem/

03-26-16 03:35 PM
    That is quite an old article . Software sales are up substantially and BlackBerry hopes to stem the hardware losses by moving over to Android or by stopping sales of handsets all together. I could see them making an Android phone for certain markets with BIS but I am not sure that the carriers will support this. The loss of BB7 devices has slowed down. What we have left are phones that still fill the need of a feature phone +. The loss of BIS revenue was no surprise however BlackBerry over estimated the appeal of BB7 devices in their third world markets. In short, BlackBerry is past the loss of service revenue hurdle. Their next step is to stem the losses in making and servicing BB10 phones.
    03-26-16 04:04 PM
    if those projected numbers are even CLOSE to being true from 2015 then no one here should be downplaying the importance of revenue from BB7 and BB10, it cannot be sugarcoated. The company will take a bigger hit when those users are completely gone and by then it will be too late to ever get them back.

03-26-16 04:09 PM
    We should know on April 1 the future of the handset division . Maybe another Android PKB this year.
    03-27-16 01:16 AM
    We should know on April 1 the future of the handset division . Maybe another Android PKB this year.
    oh?

03-27-16 01:22 AM
    BBOS still provides THE most refined ToolBelt PKB user interface. Clearly a labor of love for some devs somewhere, back then. Classic's is about 85% as "refined", IMO. Tolerably good but pretty obvious BB10 devs really didn't understand, or even like, ToolBelt PKB "BlackBerry Experience".

If BBOS's hard won UI refinements can be at least tolerably implemented on other platforms into 9900 chassis, I really couldn't care less if those refinements were reliably built on Java, BB10, droid or 8 monkeys using 8 bit abacuses. Lol. Sign me up!
    If it were possible to load other OS'es onto BB hardware (yeah we know it's not) -- I would bet some clever Android devs could whip up something pretty close to the old BBOS feel, KB/toolbelt shortcuts and all.

I think the hardware is all BB really has to offer at this point. That old familiar efficient form factor -- the Bold. The Bold 99xx was the pinnacle for BlackBerry, I agree.

One idea that BB would NEVER do -- stop selling handsets to carriers. But become a supplier of the classic BB Bold 9900 form factor hardware (with new internals), to a community of folks (and startups) that could write and load their own OS, likely using Android variants. Unlocked GSM tech only (the One Plus model). Unlock the hardware, but become the sole source of it. STOP doing software, which they are clearly outclassed at by Google and Apple (and Microsoft).
    Last edited by southlander; 03-27-16 at 10:19 AM.
    idssteve likes this.
    03-27-16 10:08 AM
    If it were possible to load other OS'es onto BB hardware (yeah we know it's not) -- I would bet some clever Android devs could whip up something pretty close to the old BBOS feel, KB/toolbelt shortcuts and all.

I think the hardware is all BB really has to offer at this point. That old familiar efficient form factor -- the Bold. The Bold 99xx was the pinnacle for BlackBerry, I agree.

One idea that BB would NEVER do -- stop selling handsets to carriers. But become a supplier of the classic BB Bold 9900 form factor hardware (with new internals), to a community of folks (and startups) that could write and load their own OS, likely using Android variants. Unlocked GSM tech only (the One Plus model). Unlock the hardware, but become the sole source of it. STOP doing software, which they are clearly outclassed at by Google and Apple (and Microsoft).
    Completely agree. BB's software is largely responsible for BB's hardware struggles, IMO. Seems pretty delusional expecting a relatively tiny, software only, BB to avoid getting crushed by software monsters like Google & Apple. Even by "accident". Lol.

Also agree, an "open source" project could be great! To dream about, anyway.
    southlander likes this.
    03-27-16 11:11 AM
    It is my understanding that Blackberry Technology or software is in existence in something like 75% of all automobiles globally? If that is true then I don't think they will or should ever get out of the software buisness?
    03-27-16 12:14 PM
    It is my understanding that Blackberry Technology or software is in existence in something like 75% of all automobiles globally? If that is true then I don't think they will or should ever get out of the software buisness?
    No. QNX. Which they do own. But did not create. When I say stop making software I only mean for phones.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    TgeekB likes this.
    03-27-16 12:37 PM
    Completely agree. BB's software is largely responsible for BB's hardware struggles, IMO. Seems pretty delusional expecting a relatively tiny, software only, BB to avoid getting crushed by software monsters like Google & Apple. Even by "accident". Lol.

Also agree, an "open source" project could be great! To dream about, anyway.
    Reading Losing the Signal it was clear that exactly what blackberry feared - - Silicon Valley taking notice and deciding to compete - - is, what happened. RIM knew they were outclassed in software talent even back then.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Last edited by southlander; 03-27-16 at 05:38 PM.
    03-27-16 12:40 PM
910 ... 2324252627 ...