Technology often gets superseded but very rarely replaced.

While most are enjoying their digital images there are plenty people out there still making daguerreotypes.
    Absolutely true. But this is a very, very tiny niche. And one that's not being served by the originators of said technology (ditto for your previous typewriter example).

Large companies aren't in the habit of intentionally shrinking themselves. Not what the stockholders want. Look at IBM. First they got out of typewriters, then out of PCs and finally the server business. Margins, profit and growth matter.

To follow your examples, another company (ie not BlackBerry) starting small will need to replace BlackBerry for handsets and BIS functionality.

That's assuming they even see a viable market for said product. All the products you mention standalone. Smartphone by their very nature are dependent on interoperating with other services, networks and devices (just look at the tizzy everyone is in with the Facebook news).
    03-21-16 11:58 PM
    Without the tool belt and specific Legacy features BB10 was competing directly with IPhone and Android, it never stood a chance.
    Even with those features it was competing with Android and iOS.
    03-22-16 12:01 AM
    NO, Blackberry should not bring back legacy devices instead of that they should bring new innovative designs like BB passport, BB Priv etc, because nowadays all smart phones are same in look. I love blackberry devices and I know Only blackberry has potential to kill competition with there opponents.
    03-22-16 12:25 PM
    NO, Blackberry should not bring back legacy devices instead of that they should bring new innovative designs like BB passport, BB Priv etc, because nowadays all smart phones are same in look. I love blackberry devices and I know Only blackberry has potential to kill competition with there opponents.
    Innovation will only work with a non-innovative OS. I get what you are saying about innovation but at some point they need to make a standard phone. Secondly, the Passport is a failed concept. Too wide and the three row KB just not seem to be as useful as a full KB. The Vienna render looks to be far more useful than the Passport.
    03-22-16 01:46 PM
    To remind everyone where things really went off the rails perhaps?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Never-ending nightmare......whether you owned one or not on here. Just imagining how many PMs "others" received complaining aside from the threads as well.

I still say No. As much as I miss the "old" BlackBerry - especially after trying to reload BBM on my S6 Edge +.....and even losing all contacts.
    03-24-16 08:38 AM
    Never-ending nightmare......whether you owned one or not on here. Just imagining how many PMs "others" received complaining aside from the threads as well.

I still say No. As much as I miss the "old" BlackBerry - especially after trying to reload BBM on my S6 Edge +.....and even losing all contacts.
    To think -- I once thought about buying a Storm. [shudder...]
    03-24-16 09:11 AM
    the Passport is a failed concept. Too wide and the three row KB just not seem to be as useful as a full KB. The Vienna render looks to be far more useful than the Passport.
    haters gonna hate
    corbintechboy likes this.
    03-24-16 10:34 AM
    To think -- I once thought about buying a Storm. [shudder...]
    Lol... I did "weather the Storm". Took about 2 days to conclude the thing was an unmitigated rush job disaster. Many years later, multiple Verizon agents in multiple regions, would express disdain for all of BlackBerry based on their Storm experience. BB's carrier credibility never recovered, AFAIK. BIG heads needed to roll for ever permitting that half baked rush job disaster to get into consumer hands, IMO. They didn't, and the half baked rush job repeated with 10.0. IMO.

Never tried Storm 2 but if userbase opinion of BBOS were based only on the Storm, little wonder the loudest opinions are vocally negative.

Going on 5 yrs after the last BBOS device, and 3 yrs after first BB10, BBOS still out numbers BB10. ToolBelt BlackBerry still outnumbers non-toolbelt. According to numbers reported earlier in this thread.

No shortage of unsubstantiated theories as to WHY, but those numbers have already told us SOMEthing. Too few heard too little too late, IMO.
    My almost 5 year old 9900 is still THE most efficient communications device I own. Storm was THE worst. Both bbos.
    03-24-16 11:03 AM
    The 9900 was one of the nicest phones from a build quality perspectivein 2011. Even today it is a beautiful phone.

BBOS let me down in so many ways that I had to give it up for a Z10 and now an midrange Android. If BlackBerry ever makes a quality all PKB device with a proper 9900 keyboard and trackpad running Android, I would seriously consider it.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-16 12:20 PM
    The 9900 was one of the nicest phones from a build quality perspectivein 2011. Even today it is a beautiful phone.

BBOS let me down in so many ways that I had to give it up for a Z10 and now an midrange Android. If BlackBerry ever makes a quality all PKB device with a proper 9900 keyboard and trackpad running Android, I would seriously consider it.

Posted via CB10
    BBOS still provides THE most refined ToolBelt PKB user interface. Clearly a labor of love for some devs somewhere, back then. Classic's is about 85% as "refined", IMO. Tolerably good but pretty obvious BB10 devs really didn't understand, or even like, ToolBelt PKB "BlackBerry Experience".

If BBOS's hard won UI refinements can be at least tolerably implemented on other platforms into 9900 chassis, I really couldn't care less if those refinements were reliably built on Java, BB10, droid or 8 monkeys using 8 bit abacuses. Lol. Sign me up!
    03-24-16 04:35 PM
    BBOS still provides THE most refined ToolBelt PKB user interface. Clearly a labor of love for some devs somewhere, back then. Classic's is about 85% as "refined", IMO. Tolerably good but pretty obvious BB10 devs really didn't understand, or even like, ToolBelt PKB "BlackBerry Experience".

If BBOS's hard won UI refinements can be at least tolerably implemented on other platforms into 9900 chassis, I really couldn't care less if those refinements were reliably built on Java, BB10, droid or 8 monkeys using 8 bit abacuses. Lol. Sign me up!
    OK ..have to take your word on BBOS tool belt superiority.

For me the rest of the BBOS experience left much to be desired.
    03-24-16 04:51 PM
    and many of us are living this DREAM by still buying them like I did a few months ago. Even after having used an iphone for 2 years, when you reply to messages on an iphone it is like "work." You have to CONCENTRATE on your typing and hope that autocorrect saves you on a touchscreen. Now when I have to reply to Twitter, facebook, whatsapp, texts, or whatever, I actually LOOK FOREWARD to it as it is effortless and addictive. This is something no glass screened device can do, and not even close to the accuracy as the Legacy keyboards.

Even with the Facebook app and Whatsapp staring death in the face, it is still addictive, still rewarding, still "fun" and still fast enough for even a slightly impatient person.

My iphone sits.....and waits

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    belfastdispatcher likes this.
    03-24-16 05:33 PM
    It is beautiful but I could not use such a small screen today. Maybe for just texting and emails is all.

I would use the 9900 on WIFI but there is some software glitch. I am not sure what is wrong. I really do not have a problem with a VKB so I have let it be.

An android Classic would be nice but no BBOS for me.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-16 05:56 PM
    It is beautiful but I could not use such a small screen today. Maybe for just texting and emails is all.

I would use the 9900 on WIFI but there is some software glitch. I am not sure what is wrong.
    you are right, there was a software glitch with one of the later versions of 7.1 because my 9790 had to be sold after 4 months of constant jamming. (they kept installing the latest version) This 9900 is on an earlier version of 7.1 (no built in Hotspot) and it is working flawlessly.

But this was my experience, I am not saying all devices on the later version of 7.1 would have this issue

03-24-16 06:03 PM

I would use the 9900 on WIFI but there is some software glitch. I am not sure what is wrong. I really do not have a problem with a VKB so I have let it be.

An android Classic would be nice but no BBOS for me.

Posted via CB10
    I generally find 9900 font size & reflow/zoom strategy to be easier to read than much of what displays on my Classic. Classic's display seems undersized to me because of poor page optimization, IMO. Nearly need a magnifying glass to read "Shop Crackberry deal of the day" email on my Classic, for example. No problems reading on "tiny" 9900 screen, tho.

Trackpad tames small and large screens alike. 9900 is a spreadsheet cell editing dream, for example. Classic not quite but tolerable. Way better than ANY all glass solution, IMO.

Try to get your 99 on wifi & walk it around a little. Especially on Opera Mini. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Btw, I hotspot my 9930 all the time. Latest 7.1 works nicely on 9930.
    03-24-16 06:27 PM
    I find the font adjustment across programs including the browser to be superior on BB10 to all of my other devices. This issue is a major fail of the iPhone. They seemed to have fixed the browser font issue on some version of BB10.

Text reflow is good but my 9900 had checkerboarding. The browser had a hard time keeping up.

No my 9900 will never replace my BB10 device.

My Android device displays websites just fine.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-16 07:00 PM
    I find the font adjustment across programs including the browser to be superior on BB10 to all of my other devices. This issue is a major fail of the iPhone. They seemed to have fixed the browser font issue on some version of BB10.

Text reflow is good but my 9900 had checkerboarding. The browser had a hard time keeping up.

No my 9900 will never replace my BB10 device.

My Android device displays websites just fine.

Posted via CB10

9900 browser hasn't been updated in too many years. It's clunky and simply doesn't work on some things like eBay, now days. EBay app still works tho. I do most 9900 browsing on Opera Mini but BB10 browsing is way superior. I do NOthing financial on bbos, for example. Any re-release of bbos would be irresponsible without browser upgrade, IMO.

Still, it isn't totally useless. I find Opera Mini on 99 to be preferable to BB10 here at CrackBerry, for example.
    03-24-16 07:24 PM
    9900 browser hasn't been updated in too many years. It's clunky and simply doesn't work on some things like eBay, now days. EBay app still works tho. I do most 9900 browsing on Opera Mini but BB10 browsing is way superior. I do NOthing financial on bbos, for example. Any re-release of bbos would be irresponsible without browser upgrade, IMO.

Still, it isn't totally useless. I find Opera Mini on 99 to be preferable to BB10 here at CrackBerry, for example.
    I hope you find a new device one day that meets your needs like your 9900.
    idssteve likes this.
    03-24-16 07:50 PM
    I won't use an Android anything! Sorry BB Android users. When I used an iphone I read anything I could about Android and listening to tons of podcasts and hearing things like how 17% of Android apps are Malware and that even though the specs are more on some Android phones, even having twice as much RAM, the iphones still were faster. I think it was Today in ios, they quoted that even an iphone 5S runs faster than any android built today. (that was a few months ago)

Right now I dont think anyone is doubting ios security. But I would rather use a non Android device and that includes a 5 year old Blackberry on 0S7.1.

If I ever do phone banking with apps (Highly doubtful) it would be on an apple device and I woud feel secure.

So to sum up, I have read too many negatives about Android for me to consider them. I have friends who love them, except the ones that don't like how you are "forced to do surveys" to download certain apps. If that's true I wouldnt have much patience for it.

03-24-16 07:59 PM
    With the release of the iPhone SE it may be showing a market for legacy devices. The SE is essentially a re-release of the iPhone 5s but arguably the Classic already fits this market.

From the legacy users comments here it seems it's not a new BB device they want but instead an unrevised version of what they already are using. So where's the market? The people who want a legacy BB most likely already have one and they don't seem like candidates for buying a re-release so what is needed then is a reinvented version of a legacy which again is what the Classic is.

It's a bit of a circle because if you want a legacy then go ahead and buy one 'cause no one is stopping you. If you want a reinvented legacy BB has made one and it's called the Classic. If you don't like the Classic and say the 9900 is the best unit then just keep on using that phone. I suspect the next BB phone will be a Classic style android so if nothing suits you then wait for that device to come out. BB can even call it the "BlackBerry Legacy".
    03-25-16 02:55 AM
    With the release of the iPhone SE it may be showing a market for legacy devices. The SE is essentially a re-release of the iPhone 5s
    Ya but the SE is a 5S with new guts and an updated camera. I'm sure that if Blackberry re-invented the 9900 Legacy it would have similar styling to the original (just like SE-5S) but it would have some punch to it.

As for if going Android or not, then it gets complicated.

The Classic is Massive. And remember the purpose of the SE is to be smaller than the other iphones, which is why we like the 9900, compared to say........the Classic

03-25-16 03:25 AM
    Ya but the SE is a 5S with new guts and an updated camera. I'm sure that if Blackberry re-invented the 9900 Legacy it would have similar styling to the original (just like SE-5S) but it would have some punch to it.

The Classic is Massive. And remember the purpose of the SE is to be smaller than the other iphones, which is why we like the 9900, compared to say........the Classic

Then it sounds like the 9900 is the phone for you. Anything else is a pipedream
    03-25-16 04:24 AM
    Then it sounds like the 9900 is the phone for you. Anything else is a pipedream
    the point is there is NO WAY they would release another 9900 the way it was, it would be upgraded, just like the SE.

03-25-16 04:27 AM

It's actually an iPhone 5 with new guts, it will be the third generation and it's not the first time Apple keeps the exact same shape but upgrades internals.

You have to admire Apple sometimes.
    TgeekB and southlander like this.
    03-25-16 05:04 AM
    haters gonna hate
    Not a hater...just not a liker. I hate liver and onions.

Posted via CB10
    Blacklatino likes this.
    03-25-16 08:42 AM
910 ... 2223242526 ...