9900 is far, far more useful than a typewriter.
    That is exactly what they said when the typewriter came out! That the typewriter was far more useful than handwriting

And yet look at where the typewriter is today! And look at where BBOS is today!

This kind of thinking is what bankrupts compagnies

Posted via CB10
    03-21-16 07:56 AM
    That is exactly what they said when the typewriter came out! That the typewriter was far more useful than handwriting

Posted via CB10
    Oh the irony, let's look at the typewriter today, invented in 1714, 300 years later it's not only still being made, it actually enjoys growing sales.

So what was your point about typewriters?
    03-21-16 08:26 AM
    Remember these are still called phones? The fact that apple is bringing a smaller sized phone should tell you that not all of us prefer big screens. Some of us want a basic phone, not a gdamn tablet. I'd drop the BIS though.
    03-21-16 08:53 AM

Posted via CB10
    Last I saw, Brother does fine selling very fine printers AND typewriters.

Toyota does fine selling Tundra AND Prius.

Either/Or thinking is what's wrecked too many companies. BB included, IMO.
    03-21-16 09:33 AM
    I send print jobs from my 9900 to my Brother AIW all the time. I'm posting this on my 9900. I prefer Opera Mini on 9900 for interacting with CB site. Better than Classic, IMO. Way better than a typewriter.

Brother typewriter is still pretty handy for carbon copy forms.
    03-21-16 09:40 AM
    Technology often gets superseded but very rarely replaced.

While most are enjoying their digital images there are plenty people out there still making daguerreotypes.
    03-21-16 09:46 AM
    If I was BlackBerry :

1. Build Vienna
    2. Build an All Touch
    3 . Build a 9900 with a slightly taller screen. Think Q10 with the 9900 keyboard and track pad running Android.

The time has come for all in or nothing on Android. I do not feel that BBOS could be profitable .
    03-21-16 10:47 AM
    10,000 per year. Nice, but I doubt Google is worried.
    03-21-16 10:59 AM

While most are enjoying their digital images there are plenty people out there still making daguerreotypes.
    Good point. If they can be sustainable through niche sales. Usually, if done well, you can find enough people to support it even if they have to pay a premium. Blackberry didn't know how to pull that off.
    03-21-16 11:05 AM

Newer can improve on older ONLY if the newer has incorporated lessons learned from older.

BB10 is certainly newer and different. It might even be better for some things. It can not claim to have IMPROVED on BBOS because it wasn't based on BBOS and included virtually NO lessons learned from BBOS.

BB10 provides a different feature set. Features that might be great for some but others of us have no need of and never really asked for.

Sacrificing features I value just to get features I don't value would make me an irresponsible consumer, contributing to the delinquency of a producer. Lol.

If abandoning the features I value had secured anything resembling success, I'd wish them well and move on. It didn't and here we are.
    03-21-16 11:39 AM
    If I was BlackBerry :

1. Build Vienna
    2. Build an All Touch
    3 . Build a 9900 with a slightly taller screen. Think Q10 with the 9900 keyboard and track pad running Android.

The time has come for all in or nothing on Android. I do not feel that BBOS could be profitable .
    Agreed. My loyalty to BBOS results mostly from value placed on ToolBelt. If droid can incorporate toolbelt, I'd consider it. No promises tho.
    03-21-16 11:45 AM
    If they ever make another track pad device please make it just like my 9900.
    idssteve likes this.
    03-21-16 12:08 PM
    Newer can improve on older ONLY if the newer has incorporated lessons learned from older.

BB10 is certainly newer and different. It might even be better for some things. It can not claim to have IMPROVED on BBOS because it wasn't based on BBOS and included virtually NO lessons learned from BBOS.

BB10 provides a different feature set. Features that might be great for some but others of us have no need of and never really asked for.

Sacrificing features I value just to get features I don't value would make me an irresponsible consumer, contributing to the delinquency of a producer. Lol.

If abandoning the features I value had secured anything resembling success, I'd wish them well and move on. It didn't and here we are.
    The Toolbelt is the very reason why BlackBerry is in this mess in the first place. They held on to BBOS way too long, and should have gone all in with BB10 12-24 Months sooner. They should have dumped BB7 long ago.

That said, its not rocket science to incorporate the Tool Belt into BB10. And with respect to efficiency, productivity & intuitiveness, BB10 shows you just how old BB7 is.
    03-21-16 12:27 PM
    The Toolbelt is the very reason why BlackBerry is in this mess in the first place. They held on to BBOS way too long, and should have gone all in with BB10 12-24 Months sooner. They should have dumped BB7 long ago.

That said, its not rocket science to incorporate the Tool Belt into BB10. And with respect to efficiency, productivity & intuitiveness, BB10 shows you just how old BB7 is.
    Without the tool belt and specific Legacy features BB10 was competing directly with IPhone and Android, it never stood a chance.
    03-21-16 12:38 PM
    The trackpad should be separated from the buttons. The main reason for the trackpad was that the device evolved from a no touch screen. Regardless a phone with a screen of less than 3.5 inches needs a trackpad.

The Q10 only has a screen of 3.1 inches which is not ideal for BB10.

On an Android device with a small screen the Trackpad could also be the home key and shutter button.

I really do not need a track pad on my all touch devices. I can cut and paste no problem. If you say that the PRIV / Passport capacitive keyboard can replace a trackpad, that is OK. I have not used either device. That might be true. If you are saying that a trackpad is old fashioned , my response is that by definition PKB's are old style devices.

Posted via CB10
    03-21-16 12:45 PM
    Should BlackBerry try to bring back the legacy devices ?
    With your question limited to the above, one might be tempted to consider it as "what if BlackBerry made featured+ phones ?".
    That question (say we deal with phone, text, emails,BBM and web) could be an interesting one in many enterprise scenarios.
    But the OS ...
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    03-21-16 12:53 PM
    With your question limited to the above, one might be tempted to consider it as "what if BlackBerry made featured+ phones ?".
    That question (say we deal with phone, text, emails,BBM and web) could be an interesting one in many enterprise scenarios.
    But the OS ...
    I would argue that they always were closer to feature phones than to smart phones, except perhaps the BB7 lineup.
    03-21-16 01:12 PM
    Oh the irony, let's look at the typewriter today, invented in 1714, 300 years later it's not only still being made, it actually enjoys growing sales.

So what was your point about typewriters?
    Exactly same point as the typewriter. growing sales from 100 to 200 is easy. But it's not a economically profitable business. If it were, then why don't we see IBM still make typewriters?

What you're suggesting is corporate suicide for BlackBerry by concentrating their business on a dead OS.

If you really think BBOS had its appeal, then you should suggest that BlackBerry rebuilt BBOS on modern codes and a modern network (ex-BIS or BES)

Posted via CB10
    03-21-16 01:12 PM
    But the OS ...
    I look at the Samsung Secusmart tablet.... they aren't selling millions of those, but they are still offering them. A secure "feature plus" phone might have been a "small" success for BlackBerry, it they had not wasted so much time trying to copy Android and iOS and the consumer side of the market. But long term, eventually I think iOS and Android will find a way into those markets too. Have t hope that BlackBerry can one up BlackPhone and KNOX in the Android arena.
    03-21-16 01:13 PM
    Exactly same point as the typewriter. growing sales from 100 to 200 is easy. But it's not a economically profitable business. If it were, then why don't we see IBM still make typewriters?

What you're suggesting is corporate suicide for BlackBerry by concentrating their business on a dead OS.

If you really think BBOS had its appeal, then you should suggest that BlackBerry rebuilt BBOS on modern codes and a modern network (ex-BIS or BES)

Posted via CB10
    It's the experience that matters not the OS, rebuild it on anything you want as long as the experience remains the same.

BIS will work on any platform, they made it work on Palm, on WinMo and Symbian, no reason why it wouldn't work on android.
    idssteve and Frehley like this.
    03-21-16 01:18 PM
    The big problem with BIS is that carriers were charging extra for it, and making it appear that it was BlackBerry that made their data plan higher.

When I got my first BlackBerry in 2005, data plans were optional, but BIS was the only data plan that I my account had. Later on, the carriers made their data plans mandatory in addition to charging for BIS.

I was grandfathered on my unlimited BIS plan for $19.99, but at one time, T-Mobile was trying to charge $40 for unlimited data. Very greedy of them at that time...
    03-21-16 03:21 PM
    The big problem with BIS is that carriers were charging extra for it, and making it appear that it was BlackBerry that made their data plan higher.
    More accurately, BlackBerry did indeed charge the carriers the $5/mo for BIS access. So at some level, they didn't "make it appear that it was BlackBerry" because it was indeed BlackBerry that made the plan higher. However, the major carriers eventually buried the cost into the data plans, so you were paying that premium price whether you were a BB user or an iOS/Android/WebOS/WinMO user as well. Some carriers didn't though. ie.. Boost Mobile's BlackBerry users would see $5 more per month than non BB users.
    03-21-16 04:00 PM
    More accurately, BlackBerry did indeed charge the carriers the $5/mo for BIS access. So at some level, they didn't "make it appear that it was BlackBerry" because it was indeed BlackBerry that made the plan higher. However, the major carriers eventually buried the cost into the data plans, so you were paying that premium price whether you were a BB user or an iOS/Android/WebOS/WinMO user as well. Some carriers didn't though. ie.. Boost Mobile's BlackBerry users would see $5 more per month than non BB users.
    When I first got my unlimited BIS data plan for $19.99, the non BIS plan also was $19.99. Later, when data plans became mandatory, T-Mobile did start charging for the BIS plan separately, but the original way it was offered was the same price as for a non-BIS plan.

I cannot speak for other carriers, but I am certain that is how it was on T-Mobile.
    03-21-16 05:42 PM
    Should BlackBerry try to bring back the legacy devices running older OS and find a way to help all BlackBerry users move along by maybe keeping the support for all BlackBerry phones (Bold, BB10 phones, etc.) and introducing a new version of OS that runs on all devices?

I made this post mainly due to seeing how BlackBerry is dying and me hoping BlackBerry can turn things around and survive and also me missing the old Bold phones (perfect size and form factor.)

What do you think?

Posted via CB10
    Oh good lord. No.
    03-21-16 06:44 PM

even if that was the case, it is very difficult to build a quality app for BB10 due to poor software tools and permissioning (eg. no access to the LED colours)
    03-21-16 08:04 PM
910 ... 2122232425 ...