I believe the reason is the cheap price of BIS plans in those countries.
    03-20-16 12:19 PM
    Seriously... do you really believe carrier still support BIS plans??? You need a serious reality check! Send me links from website of major carriers showing updated BIS pricing and I'll say that carrier still support BIS.

Workforces are more and more mobile and they need apps. If you can't see that... you have exactly the same mindset that rendered BlackBerry obsolete today.

Remember, it's always better to have an OS that can do more, than less. You can always use an iPhone just for calls and emails... but with BBOS, you are limited to those!

Posted via CB10
    Vodafone Uk big enough for ya?

Should BlackBerry bring back legacy devices?-imageuploadedbycb-forums1458494526.155772.jpg
    03-20-16 12:22 PM
    Vodafone Uk big enough for ya?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByCB Forums1458494526.155772.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	315.5 KB 
ID:	394761
    That is one example, one carrier. BlackBerry cannot operate with ONE carrier "support"... cause even there, I highly doubt that when you enter a Vodafone store, they will tell you: hey BTW if you only need emails and phone calls, you should check out or BBOS line-up!

They will most probably say: get the iPhone 5 or Samsung S5.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-16 12:34 PM
    That is one example, one carrier. BlackBerry cannot operate with ONE carrier "support"... cause even there, I highly doubt that when you enter a Vodafone store, they will tell you: hey BTW if you only need emails and phone calls, you should check out or BBOS line-up!

They will most probably say: get the iPhone 5 or Samsung S5.

Posted via CB10
    My wife uses a 9790 on Orange Uk, BIS works just fine.

Carriers don't need to advertise BIS
    03-20-16 12:37 PM
    One of many explanations for that decline might simply be that BB hasn't made anything they LIKE in the 5 years since the newest legacy devices?
    The decline in those emerging countries, where BBOS was very popular, was due to the arrival of cheap Android's and later the introduction of cross platform BBM. BBM was and is still huge in countries that never had many land lines.

The market BlackBerry still has is for a PKB phone not necessarily for a PKB BBOS phone.

The evidence suggests that the majority of BBOS phones still in use are mainly outside of the USA and the UK. Hand me down phones still in use for texting and cheap plans. One other point , in some areas of the world electrical connections are not that good if you are primarily using your phone for texting or as a cell phone the old BlackBerry 's had a good battery life.

There might be a market for a new BBOS phone but the price would have to be very low and the carriers would have to continue supporting BIS.

I do not believe there is a market for a new and improved BBOS phone in Canada and even less so in the UK and USA.

The best BlackBerry 9900 fans could hope for is a retro styled Android device. I would like the same width as a 9900 but with a taller screen. I would use the very same keypad and trackpad as the 9900. If they stick to square screen then just revise the Q10 body to add the tool belt. I am not a BBOS hater but I would never want another. I only use one phone.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 03-20-16 at 02:11 PM.
    03-20-16 01:00 PM
    Some US carriers do not offer BIS, either paid or free, so they do not support BBOS phones at all. It's different by carrier.
    03-20-16 01:35 PM
    By any chance are you with Bell?
    Sorry, just saw your question.

No, I'm with T-Mo US. My plan (perhaps grandfathered) allows unlimited BIS roaming to Canada, Europe and many European countries for $20 per month. But if I am only going to be in, as an example, Canada for a week, I can call and cancel international BIS roaming when I get back to the US and only be billed $5.00. It kind of blows me away. I just call them the day before I travel, turn international BIS roaming on, and when I get back to the US, I call and have them turn it off. No muss, no fuss, and dirt cheap. Honestly, I have forgotten to have it turned off a few times and got billed the full $20. Oh my!
    I'm being facetious, obviously. It's so inexpensive it's comical.
    03-20-16 03:00 PM
    Some US carriers do not offer BIS, either paid or free, so they do not support BBOS phones at all. It's different by carrier.
    Well, I can say that the big two GSM carriers do. I have both T-Mo and ATT and they both support BIS. It is no longer an additional FEE for them for new accounts. You just walk in with your BIS phone and walk out with a working phone. I activated a 9900 on ATT last Fall and kept asking the salesman if he was SURE that he could activate the 9900 since it was a BIS model, and he just smiled and shook his head like I was speaking Martian. He scanned the phone's bar code, popped in a sim and within a minute I was able to set up my email on the phone.

Even T-Mobile's MVNO Simple Mobile supports BIS. They are the only MVNO that does. They still tout BlackBerry BIS plans and include them at no charge in their data plans.

I have no idea if the big two CMDA carriers do. But I would imagine that both Sprint and Verizon would have to at least support the remaining users that are still on BIS via their respective networks. I did call Verizon last Spring and asked if the could activate a 9930 on their network and the salesperson said YES. That was a year ago. Perhaps the policy has changed now, but if I were the head of any network and I still had BIS phones on it, I sure as heck would allow new BIS phones on. It's a very competitive world in cellular carriers, and I would not care if it were a flip phone from 10 years ago, a BlackBerry BIS or a new iPhone 6s. I'd take the customer and be thankful for him.
    03-20-16 03:12 PM
    Well, I can say that the big two GSM carriers do. I have both T-Mo and ATT and they both support BIS. It is no longer an additional FEE for them for new accounts. You just walk in with your BIS phone and walk out with a working phone. I activated a 9900 on ATT last Fall and kept asking the salesman if he was SURE that he could activate the 9900 since it was a BIS model, and he just smiled and shook his head like I was speaking Martian. He scanned the phone's bar code, popped in a sim and within a minute I was able to set up my email on the phone.

Even T-Mobile's MVNO Simple Mobile supports BIS. They are the only MVNO that does. They still tout BlackBerry BIS plans and include them at no charge in their data plans.

I have no idea if the big two CMDA carriers do. But I would imagine that both Sprint and Verizon would have to at least support the remaining users that are still on BIS via their respective networks. I did call Verizon last Spring and asked if the could activate a 9930 on their network and the salesperson said YES. That was a year ago. Perhaps the policy has changed now, but if I were the head of any network and I still had BIS phones on it, I sure as heck would allow new BIS phones on. It's a very competitive world in cellular carriers, and I would not care if it were a flip phone from 10 years ago, a BlackBerry BIS or a new iPhone 6s. I'd take the customer and be thankful for him.
    It was a complete myth that carriers didn't like BIS, wouldn't be surprised if BB started the rumour themselves to put people off it.

I always thought it was odd how they could tout the benefits of BIS for so long and then all of the sudden they were acting like we don't need it anymore.
    03-20-16 03:35 PM
    Posting this on my VZW 9930 from US. No BIS problem.
    03-20-16 04:07 PM
    http://www.cnet.com/news/what-unlimi...-really-means/

This article explains why BIS was so popular in countries where data costs were expensive.

However not all apps used BlackBerry data and I presume that the carriers had to carry the data load for an increasing number of apps. Then too there was the global failure of the BlackBerry system. Lastly BBOS did not support Fast LTE .

There is something to be said for BIS. Greater security and cheaper data. Could have been an interesting option for some.

I can see why BIS could be excellent for some users but BBOS was in my own opinion not near as good as present day operating systems.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-16 06:03 PM
    It was a complete myth that carriers didn't like BIS, wouldn't be surprised if BB started the rumour themselves to put people off it.

I always thought it was odd how they could tout the benefits of BIS for so long and then all of the sudden they were acting like we don't need it anymore.
    The reason carriers didn't like the BIS plans was that some customers were grandfathered on cheap unlimited plans. They really made it hard to keep those plans, especially when they raised the monthly data plans.

Posted via the Diva's beautiful Red Passport!
    03-20-16 06:04 PM
    My wife uses a 9790 on Orange Uk, BIS works just fine.

Carriers don't need to advertise BIS
    They don't need to advertise BIS? Or they don't want to advertise BIS?

I highly doubt that BIS plans sells by itself nowadays.

Also there's a difference between "working" and being profitable.

My typewriter still works. And for certain people, such as writers, they don't need all the bells and whistles of of computer.... they just need a typewriter.

But I highly doubt that typewriter sales are doing great

Posted via CB10
    03-20-16 08:56 PM
    9900 is far, far more useful than a typewriter.
    03-20-16 11:09 PM
    9900 is far, far more useful than a typewriter.
    +1

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    03-20-16 11:25 PM
    Just asked my Indonesian FB friend as to why Blackberry is not as popular there anymore and she said that since BBM became available for Android and IOS there was no need to be loyal to Blackberry anymore.

03-21-16 12:43 AM
    Just asked my Indonesian FB friend as to why Blackberry is not as popular there anymore and she said that since BBM became available for Android and IOS there was no need to be loyal to Blackberry anymore.

I think this would have been true for a while but ultimately the need for apps and the flood of Android all touch devices would have had the same result. Typical of BlackBerry to be too late to monetize BBM.

I do think that BlackBerry could still do very well in Indonesia but perhaps not with a really expensive phone like the PRIV.

Posted via CB10
    03-21-16 01:49 AM
    Double post
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 03-21-16 at 09:05 AM.
    03-21-16 01:51 AM
    I think this would have been true for a while but ultimately the need for apps and the flood of Android all touch devices would have had the same result. Typical of BlackBerry to be too late to monetize BBM.

I do think that BlackBerry could still do very well in Indonesia but perhaps not with a really expensive phone like the PRIV.

Posted via CB10
    Thats even IF they can get a reliable data connection to DL apps.. They have so many islands there that I have heard they have to carry 2 or 3 phones because the companies for each island dont share or roam like here when we travel, but maybe now this has changed. When I talk to my friends in the Philippines or Indonesia, I do not get the feeling "APPS" are a priority there in the same way WE like OUR phones to entertain us.

I think that Blackberry allowing Android/IOS to have BBM took away the "significance" of having a Blackberry BUT I realize apps like Kik, Line, Viber and Whatsapp were all created later

TgeekB likes this.
    03-21-16 02:00 AM
    They don't need to advertise BIS? Or they don't want to advertise BIS?

I highly doubt that BIS plans sells by itself nowadays.

Also there's a difference between "working" and being profitable.

My typewriter still works. And for certain people, such as writers, they don't need all the bells and whistles of of computer.... they just need a typewriter.

But I highly doubt that typewriter sales are doing great

Posted via CB10
    What do you know, wrong again lol

http://www.thelocal.de/20140721/germ...see-sales-boom
    03-21-16 02:55 AM
    The reason carriers didn't like the BIS plans was that some customers were grandfathered on cheap unlimited plans. They really made it hard to keep those plans, especially when they raised the monthly data plans.

Posted via the Diva's beautiful Red Passport!
    Then how come most still support and sell new BIS contracts?
    03-21-16 03:03 AM
    http://www.cnet.com/news/what-unlimi...-really-means/

This article explains why BIS was so popular in countries where data costs were expensive.

However not all apps used BlackBerry data and I presume that the carriers had to carry the data load for an increasing number of apps. Then too there was the global failure of the BlackBerry system. Lastly BBOS did not support Fast LTE .

There is something to be said for BIS. Greater security and cheaper data. Could have been an interesting option for some.

I can see why BIS could be excellent for some users but BBOS was in my own opinion not near as good as present day operating systems.

Posted via CB10
    BIS data plans weren't cheaper in UK, all data plans cost the same for all phones, the difference was with BIS you could choose a lower cost data plan but it would last you a lot longer thanks to the compression.

When the 9900 was launched there was no LTE in UK, I think only one carrier covered London.

It took another 2-3 years for it to arrive in Northern Ireland.
    03-21-16 03:11 AM
    Reliability of BIS push email is another factor.
    03-21-16 06:01 AM
    The decline in those emerging countries, where BBOS was very popular, was due to the arrival of cheap Android's and later the introduction of cross platform BBM.
    Likely for some, no doubt. The fact BB hasn't provided a Bold successor for 5 years pretty well ultimately forces most into other platforms.

If Toyota ceased Camry production in stupid attempt to replace Camrys with Tundras, what would Camry market share look like five years later?? Lol.

... Hand me down phones still in use for texting and cheap plans...
    I'm still unclear what this means?? "hand me down" as in older brother to younger brother? Or?? Source for this?

... One other point , in some areas of the world electrical connections are not that good if you are primarily using your phone for texting or as a cell phone the old BlackBerry 's had a good battery life.

There might be a market for a new BBOS phone but the price would have to be very low and the carriers would have to continue supporting BIS.

I do not believe there is a market for a new and improved BBOS phone in Canada and even less so in the UK and USA.

The best BlackBerry 9900 fans could hope for is a retro styled Android device. I would like the same width as a 9900 but with a taller screen. I would use the very same keypad and trackpad as the 9900. If they stick to square screen then just revise the Q10 body to add the tool belt. I am not a BBOS hater but I would never want another. I only use one phone.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed, swappable batteries are a very big deal for the hand full of folks I'm familiar with in Indonesia. Water & air seems to be an accepted part of daily commute for them.

I do not believe price would play ANY role in these guys' decision so long as the cost provided demonstrable benefit to their operations. But acknowledge they may not be representative sampling. Has genuine market research solidly established this?

I, personally, will carry my 99 until it utterly ceases to function or until a suitable successor is provided. I am not alone in this sentiment. Virtually everyone I know who still uses 9900 feels similarly. I'll concede that there are likely still some users without choice, somewhere, but that's not substantiated by ANY personal experience on my part. Fwiw.
    03-21-16 06:13 AM

Posted via CB10
    There are a lot of legacies in Indonesia and you can pretty much go anywhere and buy a brand new one. BIS is still active and for the most part BBOS is still a very useful phone. I think legacies could still be marketed in Indonesia or other developing nations if they are sold for under $100 or less and offer decent plans. If all I could afford is under $100 for a smartphone a BlackBerry legacy device would be my top choice and realistically that is a lot of people. You can make a lot of money off of emerging markets you just have to know to market it.
    03-21-16 06:27 AM
910 ... 2021222324 ...