So BB barely have any BB10 customers and now they try to move those to Android?

Anybody that thinks that's a good idea are so deluded.
    It's the only plan they have.

I don't think you should call John Chen deluded, it's not nice.

Seriously though, I believe the cunning plan is to pull as many BB10 people over to the Priv as they can. Those migrators will feel safe and happy surrounded by familiar BB10-like things, and over time will start to use Android features more and more (the Priv being undeniably Android once you scratch beneath the surface).

Once all 9M? BB10 users are on the Priv (revenue for Chen - kerching!), plus hopefully a few million more of those Hipsters who will buy the Priv as an "interesting" Android phone; then Chen can do it all again by releasing the Vienna. Next year... BB will release more Android handsets which will be subtly more Android than BB10-lite... BB will be an fully-fledged Android vendor... and BlackBerry will be saved!!! Hurrah!

Nah, I don't believe it'll work either... but I'm sure that's BB's plan.

Which is why I reckon BB Hardware is soon to be no more. Not that BB will ever make such an announcement of course, that would be commercial stupidity... there'll just never be another BB phone released - ever!
    03-11-16 10:22 AM
    So BB barely have any BB10 customers and now they try to move those to Android?

Anybody that thinks that's a good idea are so deluded.
    Actually, it makes perfectly good sense. The Priv in my opinion isn't meant to keep BlackBerry in the hardware business.

It's a showcase device meant to show other manufactures the "BlackBerry Experience" and get said manufacturers to licenses the Experience in future handsets.

That's the only way BlackBerry is going to make any money off charging for software that others are giving away (Hub v. Outlook).
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-11-16 10:28 AM
    Actually, it makes perfectly good sense. The Priv in my opinion isn't meant to keep BlackBerry in the hardware business.

It's a showcase device meant to show other manufactures the "BlackBerry Experience" and get said manufacturers to licenses the Experience in future handsets.

That's the only way BlackBerry is going to make any money off charging for software that others are giving away (Hub v. Outlook).
    So they managed to move 9 millions to BB10 from 80m BBOS users in over 2 years (or has it been longer?)

They just got those 9 millions to invest in a BB10 device and now Chen tells them to buy another new expensive device this time running android.

Yeah right, when pigs fly it might happen, but not even then.

It might make business sense if your customers completely lack common sense.
    03-11-16 10:34 AM
    So they managed to move 9 millions to BB10 from 80m BBOS users in over 2 years (or has it been longer?)

They just got those 9 millions to invest in a BB10 device and now Chen tells them to buy another new expensive device this time running android.

I think the expectation is that people buy a new device every 2-3 years.
    03-11-16 10:51 AM
    I suppose that the whole legacy OS7 could be run and sold as a Passport's application...

Posted via CB10
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    03-11-16 10:51 AM

Chen doesn't have to tell them anything. Those users aren't hanging around.

Those 9 million are the TOTAL for the past 3 years. That's not "just". Most of those people are ready for a refresh or have already switched. Remember, the average smartphone lifespan is 2 years.

I think the " just" user count (say the past 2 quarters) was roughly 400k (where's Troy when you need exact numbers). That's not massive. That's what the competition is doing on launch day.

The 80m users is from 2012-ish. At that point it was dropping fast quarter-by-quarter. By the end of 2013 they were down to roughy 50m.

Chen just needs to make his software attractive enough that other manufacturers license/bundle it. Then users may choose a particular handset because it comes with BB's offerings.

Same thing that Microsoft is attempting by getting Samsung to bundle their software.
    03-11-16 10:52 AM
    Chen doesn't have to tell them anything. Those users aren't hanging around.

Those 9 million are the TOTAL for the past 3 years. That's not "just". Most of those people are ready for a refresh or have already switched. Remember, the average smartphone lifespan is 2 years.

I think the " just" user count (say the past 2 quarters) was roughly 400k (where's Troy when you need exact numbers). That's not massive. That's what the competition is doing on launch day.

The 80m users is from 2012-ish. At that point it was dropping fast quarter-by-quarter. By the end of 2013 they were down to roughy 50m.

Chen just needs to make his software attractive enough that other manufacturers license/bundle it. Then users may choose a particular handset because it comes with BB's offerings.

Same thing that Microsoft is attempting by getting Samsung to bundle their software.
    Actually in 2013 they still had 76m subscribers which coincided with BB10's launch.

Out of 76m they only converted 9m in 3 years. Somebody calculate what percentage that is.

At the current Priv price I doubt they'd even convert 1m to android. After all, there are A LOT of other Android devices out there, cheaper and better.
    03-11-16 11:29 AM
    Actually in 2013 they still had 76m subscribers which coincided with BB10's launch.

Out of 76m they only converted 9m in 3 years. Somebody calculate what percentage that is.

At the current Priv price I doubt they'd even convert 1m to android. After all, there are A LOT of other Android devices out there, cheaper and better.
    You're still dreaming about legacy devices. Funny.

Posted via CB10
    TgeekB, reeneebob and rthonpm like this.
    03-11-16 11:37 AM
    You're still dreaming about legacy devices. Funny.

Posted via CB10
    Nope, no such dreams, I've stated a few times now that I think both BBOS and BB10 are dead.
    03-11-16 11:39 AM

That was at the beginning of 2013. Look at the numbers for the end of 2013.

Regardless, as i said, i don't see the long-term plan as flipping hold-out users to the Priv.
    03-11-16 11:42 AM
    No.
    extisis likes this.
    03-11-16 11:51 AM
    Still they could bring out a similair touch screen device for BB10 and Android at the same time. This could be a normal step up for BB10 users,enterprise users and Androud users.

That is good marketing and best marketing is bring Android 6 with apps permission for Android and BB10 with a store full of working Android apps for BB10 that will be filled by users. I believe there is some marketing and it could get exploding by te media and it give a second change for BlackBerry with Android and BB10 devices. With Apps permission you are more in controle what apps are doing.

They should get BlackBerry World with BB10 apps and Android apps for BB10 devices and the same store for Android users it will also bring some extra cash. The Device that logged in will show the apps you can download or use.

But that is just an aim and some last strike to get attention for there brand and it could work, but never gone happen. I think maybe there will be another device , but if they smart just get out a full touch device or they will quuite the hardware and move on with software Still hope for a last update for android runtime with app permission

You also can save for a Huawai Nexus P6 that is an awsome phone or the new HTC 10.

! Why two similair device, because if they sell short with one platfrom they can use the other platform to reinstall those devices and sell them.I have an Idea BlackBerry get grey hairs about there device department.
    03-11-16 02:22 PM
    Nope, no such dreams, I've stated a few times now that I think both BBOS and BB10 are dead.
    I missed that part. Wish I could have read it first hand. You were so adamant about BBOS still being a viable choice. Reality is a biznitch.

Posted via CB10
    03-11-16 02:44 PM
    I missed that part. Wish I could have read it first hand. You were so adamant about BBOS still being a viable choice. Reality is a biznitch.

Posted via CB10
    It was viable, too much time has passed now and BB don't even have the legacy know how anymore anyway.
    03-11-16 02:57 PM
    I'm all for them even bringing back the telegraph machine....or the teletype.....now thats innovation
    Hey, those suckers rarely broke and data rates were cheap!
    03-11-16 05:26 PM
    Building a long term business off nostalgia isn't a recipe for success. Even as bloated and convoluted as Android is, the UI is light years ahead of BBOS

ya you're right, just don't tell GM, Ford Or Chrysler that since they started making a fortune off re-production of Musclecar parts to restore all those old cars shhhhhh

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 03-11-16 at 05:43 PM.
    03-11-16 05:31 PM
    It was viable, too much time has passed now and BB don't even have the legacy know how anymore anyway.
    It was only viable in candyland. If BB has stayed with BBOS, nothing would be different now. People would have still left in droves.
    03-11-16 05:32 PM
    BlackBerry could easily retain most or all of these "11 million" remaining BBOS users if they simply reissued an updated 9900, with better specs and an OS refresh update. Or at the least, an updated browser app which could be installed via BlackBerry world. The excitement around that action alone will cause those customers to jump through the roof.

I think a major part of the problem though, is the anti-BBOS view strongly held by some. The posts in this forum are likely indicative of the same voices for and against internally at RIM in 2016. Thus mass confusion and infighting wouldn't surprise me.

I say do something risky to try and retain those customers, who clearly didn't migrate to bb10 for a reason (or anywhere else, after all this time). If reissuing an updated 9900 in the same form factor with updated internals has a chance, then I would support that. And anyone who loves this company should too.
    I would be the first to purchase!

In my opinion, the majority of the current BBOS users are not an active participant of this forum or website. People think that they know what BlackBerry users want or are missing. Only the truly passionate BlackBerry "family" posts on this site.

i am one that would purchase an updated 99XX with Classic internals and using BIS...even if I had to pay a nominal charge.

Just me.
    idssteve and Mr4aces like this.
    03-11-16 05:42 PM

In my opinion, the majority of the current BBOS users are not an active participant of this forum or website. People think that they know what BlackBerry users want or are missing. Only the truly passionate BlackBerry "family" posts on this site.

i am one that would purchase an updated 99XX with Classic internals and using BIS...even if I had to pay a nominal charge.

Just me.
    +1

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Frehley, idssteve and Mr4aces like this.
    03-11-16 05:45 PM
    Yes, I'm a Dinosaur. As the great Miles Davis used to say, "So What". I like my 9900. I have a Q10 and prefer the Q for weekends, but for ripping through emails, texting, and general communication, I like my 9900. I still Bridge it to a Playbook. I like BIS. Especially when traveling. My provider gives me an unbelievable rate on unlimited BIS in Canada and Europe.

So yes, I would buy a legacy BlackBerry. Luckily my 9900 is in mint condition, as I just bought a new one last Fall. I suspect it will last me another two years. I'll probably search for another 9900 then. In the mean time, I'll use whatever new BB10 device that comes out on weekends.
    idssteve, Frehley and Mr4aces like this.
    03-11-16 07:46 PM

Just me.
    Sign me up for 30+ of them! At $3000 per!!! (our budget for the Panasonic Toughbooks our 9900s replaced).
    Mr4aces and Frehley like this.
    03-11-16 08:05 PM
    Yes, I'm a Dinosaur. As the great Miles Davis used to say, "So What". I like my 9900. I have a Q10 and prefer the Q for weekends, but for ripping through emails, texting, and general communication, I like my 9900. I still Bridge it to a Playbook. I like BIS. Especially when traveling. My provider gives me an unbelievable rate on unlimited BIS in Canada and Europe.

So yes, I would buy a legacy BlackBerry. Luckily my 9900 is in mint condition, as I just bought a new one last Fall. I suspect it will last me another two years. I'll probably search for another 9900 then. In the mean time, I'll use whatever new BB10 device that comes out on weekends.
    By any chance are you with Bell?
    03-11-16 08:09 PM
    SOooo... Just to be clear, am I correct to infer that a sizable consensus, if not at least a vocal minority, of CrackBerry community are OK with BB sitting on their hands while watching 11M (over half of) existing BlackBerry users abandon BB this year?
    03-12-16 05:21 AM
    SOooo... Just to be clear, am I correct to infer that a sizable consensus, if not at least a vocal minority, of CrackBerry community are OK with BB sitting on their hands while watching 11M (over half of) existing BlackBerry users abandon BB this year?
    What would you have the people on CB do, exactly?

Those 11M are leaving because BB has produced nothing new which would persuade them to stay. So, again, what would you have CB'ers do?
    03-12-16 05:27 AM
    What would you have the people on CB do, exactly?

Those 11M are leaving because BB has produced nothing new which would persuade them to stay. So, again, what would you have CB'ers do?
    Nothing in my question asked what CB'ers should do. Just asking if they're OK with letting those 11M go. ??

Reading thru this thread, I'm perceiving, right or wrong (which is why I'm asking), a striking lack of alternative suggestions for preventing that loss. Since those 11M obviously like SOMEthing about their legacy devices, the OP's suggestion seems like a logical starting point for discussion. Not necessarily a legitimate solution but, It seems to me that a striking number of posts simply belittle OP's proposal, along with bbos itself, without offering a better alternative. Am I correct? Or am I incorrect? That is the question... Lol.
    03-12-16 06:51 AM
910 ... 1112131415 ...