BBOS made buckets of money in its day but that's ancient history.
    BB10 lost billions and is sinking below the waves.

Are you or I or both of us being negative?
    I am not talking about it monetarily. I know, I've had most BlackBerry since the Curve 8310. But the OS and hardware are way better on BlackBerry 10.

Posted via CB10
    03-10-16 07:06 PM
    Nope upgrade bb10

Posted via CB10
    03-10-16 08:46 PM
    I had various Blackberrys over the years, and have been a fan of the Bold series. Tried the Z10 and after a year I went out and bought a Classic, missed the keyboard way to much.
    03-10-16 08:56 PM
    The only way that is a good idea is if the global network become crippled and needs a low bandwidth option.. Or that whole Sony thing..

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    03-10-16 09:25 PM
    The only way that is a good idea is if the global network become crippled and needs a low bandwidth option.. Or that whole Sony thing..

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    BIS worked on GPRS, then on EDGE, 3G, 3G HSPA

What makes you think it wouldn't work on LTE?

After all you can take a LTE phone, start a wifi hotspot from it, connect a BIS BB and presto, you get BIS through LTE no?

BIS wasn't slow, bridge a playbook to a 9900 and watch YouTube in the browser, you will see BIS is not slow. It was the legacy hardware that made it slow.
    03-11-16 12:59 AM
    the 9900 is still supposedly one of the most sought after Blackberry devices, there is a reason people still buy them, I am happy with mine
    BlackBerry could easily retain most or all of these "11 million" remaining BBOS users if they simply reissued an updated 9900, with better specs and an OS refresh update. Or at the least, an updated browser app which could be installed via BlackBerry world. The excitement around that action alone will cause those customers to jump throuth the roof.

I think a major part of the problem though, is the anti-BBOS view strongly held by some. The posts in this forum are likely indicative of the same voices for and against internally at RIM in 2016. Thus mass confusion and infighting wouldnt surprise me.

I say do something risky to try and retain those customers, who clearly didn't migrate to bb10 for a reason (or anywhere else, after all this time). If reissuing an updated 9900 in the same form factor with updated internals has a chance, then I would support that. And anyone who loves this company should too.
    03-11-16 01:46 AM
    BlackBerry could easily retain most or all of these "11 million" remaining BBOS users if they simply reissued an updated 9900

I think a major part of the problem though, is the anti-BBOS view strongly held by some.

I say do something risky to try and retain those customers, who clearly didn't migrate to bb10 for a reason (or anywhere else, after all this time). If reissuing an updated 9900 in the same form factor with updated internals has a chance, then I would support that. And anyone who loves this company should too.
    I would be happy if they would at the very least issue an OTA security update for OS 7.1. I think it can be done since so many people still love OS7 AND if Apple can do this to keep the 2011 Iphone 4S fast and secure then Blackberry might try it for the Long Time supporters with Legacy devices, you know.....the millions who still rely on these devices for whatever reason they may have, country, etc.

The Classic is big,and doesnt really lend well for one handed operation, (to me) say if you have an arm carrying a shopping bag full of groceries. The size is perfect for the 9900 on so many levels, so I would agree. Considering the 9900 is readily available anywhere, ebay, amazon, parts are no problem despite what some have claimed in here.

I agree that we are all in the same boat here, being Blackberry users, and we cannot look to the future without recognizing the past and what made the company great, and Legacy devices are what did it. Not to downplay the importance of progress, but people need to recognize that millions still use older devices and people FORGET that when BB10 came about, more people refused to give up their OS7 devices than those who flocked to BB10's, so much so that Blackberry DID re-issue the 9900, as dated as it was even then.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    03-11-16 02:15 AM
    I am not talking about it monetarily. I know, I've had most BlackBerry since the Curve 8310. But the OS and hardware are way better on BlackBerry 10.
    Thing is, BB is a publicly quoted corporation with shareholders and a remit to trade profitably... they will be "talking about it monetarily".

"If it don't make dollars, it don't make sense!".

As to your last point, you don't have to leave this very thread to find people who would dispute that BB10 is "better" than BBOS. Neither view really matters actually, only Chen's view (and his Board) matters... and Chen has clearly decided that neither BBOS nor BB10 offer the potential to make money.

The jury is still out on whether BB can make money with Android. We'll know more in three weeks.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    03-11-16 03:36 AM
    Thing is, BB is a publicly quoted corporation with shareholders and a remit to trade profitably... they will be "talking about it monetarily".

"If it don't make dollars, it don't make sense!".

As to your last point, you don't have to leave this very thread to find people who would dispute that BB10 is "better" than BBOS. Neither view really matters actually, only Chen's view (and his Board) matters... and Chen has clearly decided that neither BBOS nor BB10 offer the potential to make money.

The jury is still out on whether BB can make money with Android. We'll know more in three weeks.
    Those shareholders must be idiots if they were willing to destroy BB's existing sustainable business model for the elusive benefits of QNX that largely haven't materialised.

There's only so much sympathy you can have for them, must be over a billion they sank in BB10 by now from the moment they bought QNX.
    03-11-16 04:28 AM
    Those shareholders must be idiots if they were willing to destroy BB's existing sustainable business model for the elusive benefits of QNX that largely haven't materialised.

There's only so much sympathy you can have for them, must be over a billion they sank in BB10 by now from the moment they bought QNX.
    I do actually have a lot of sympathy for BB. They found themselves very much between a rock and a hard-place in the post-iPhone world.

For good or bad, BBOS wasn't ever going to cut it post-2007 - expectations of what you could do with a smartphone outgrew BBOS by the day. There are still a few million, like you, who really value what BBOS does... but that number is never going to grow, only shrink further. Eventually it'll just be the diehards using BBOS handsets until all the keys fall off. Diehards keeping their old phones plus a (very) few new buyers is not going to keep BB in the phone business, and BB would be insane to switch back to legacy devices.

So, given that BB had to transition to a "modern" platform, what to do? Pride is what I think drove them to believe they could develop a their own platform and grow a profitable ecosystem from zero. I doubt MikeL could face the humiliation of becoming "just another Android seller", but I'll never know for sure. If they had embraced Android in 2009, maybe things would have been different now.. but, maybe not, as few Android sellers make serious money.

I really think we're very close now to a post-BB hardware world. Which is a shame for me as I have some history with the brand and, in its day, I was happy with my BB phones. That nostalgic fondness apart, I reckon the phone future (BBOS, BB10 & Android) is likely over within months.The ER figures on 1st April will be merely the latest indication that hardware is going nowhere, fast!

...must be over a billion they sank in BB10 by now from the moment they bought QNX.
    Oh, much, much more than a billion.

BB took a big bath write-off of $4.6 Billion pretty much the day Chen arrived! And that was but one day in the "success story" that is BB10.
    03-11-16 07:22 AM
    Guys... I can't believe this discussion is still going. Be realistic!

I see a lot of post saying they should re-issue BBOS devices to retain the 11M users they have left! That is totally unrealistic and suicidal!

BlackBerry stated multiple times that they need to sell 10 M devices per year... and that's 10 M high margin devices like the Priv and Passport. BBOS devices are low margins (parts are not available anymore and OS need serious update)

How do you expect to sell say 20M BBOS devices per year with a shrinking Userbase that is currently only at 10M? Even apple can't turnover devices so fast! It would mean that BBOS users would need to change devices every year! And from what I hear here, BBOS users has the lowest device turnover since they aren't looking for novelty but functional phones.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-11-16 07:53 AM

That's the thing - the old business model isn't sustainable. They were losing BBOS users back in the day to lower-cost options with more features.

The market where most of these users still exist are the "emerging" markets. And they're losing those people too because BBOS doesn't cut it. LINE has already dethroned BBM as the messenger of choice. No BBM and everyone else using a different low-cost messenger which is cross-platform takes away the BBOS value proposition. And this is in a market BlackBerry thought they had locked up.

Its more than devices. It's what you can do with those devices.

And BlackBerry did release the 9900 and keep it going after the release of BB10 for these markets. Didn't make a dent.

The conceit here is that the existing users will stick with BlackBerry by giving them more of the same. Not going to happen. Especially when the competition is providing cheaper devices with more desirable services.
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-11-16 07:55 AM
    One has got to face the facts that Blackberry has fallen back too much to gain again with legacy devices mainly because of the lack of apps. It would have to be a dramatic shift in consumer preferences and a shift in perception of Blackberry or a great new device with cutting edge specs, apps etc. that will bring back the company to the front. Or we don't want to call down bad luck on anyone - the fall of Apple, Google or Samsung.
    03-11-16 08:01 AM
    Guys... I can't believe this discussion is still going. Be realistic!

I see a lot of post saying they should re-issue BBOS devices to retain the 11M users they have left! That is totally unrealistic and suicidal!

BlackBerry stated multiple times that they need to sell 10 M devices per year... and that's 10 M high margin devices like the Priv and Passport. BBOS devices are low margins (parts are not available anymore and OS need serious update)

How do you expect to sell say 20M BBOS devices per year with a shrinking Userbase that is currently only at 10M? Even apple can't turnover devices so fast! It would mean that BBOS users would need to change devices every year! And from what I hear here, BBOS users has the lowest device turnover since they aren't looking for novelty but functional phones.

Posted via CB10
    BBOS is dead, so is BB10 (it was never really alive) the only hope is for them to recreate the general BBOS experience in android.

From UI to hardware, BB10 was a complete failure, a very expensive failure.

Capture the BB nostalgia in powerful android handsets is their only left hope, and I really hope they're working I but right now.

My wife is still using her 4 -5 years old 9790, they need to give her something to upgrade to.
    03-11-16 08:03 AM
    Capture the BB nostalgia in powerful android handsets is their only left hope
    Building a long term business off nostalgia isn't a recipe for success. Even as bloated and convoluted as Android is, the UI is light years ahead of BBOS.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-11-16 08:10 AM
    No. They shouldn't bring legacy devices back. BlackBerry 10 is already a good os. Such a pity that most develepors are either too lazy to port their apps to this os or they have their own reasons and excuses... Lots of new and emerging os besides BlackBerry 10 are slowly dying simply because of some famous apps are not there...
    03-11-16 08:21 AM
    I'm all for them even bringing back the telegraph machine....or the teletype.....now thats innovation
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-11-16 09:07 AM
    Building a long term business off nostalgia isn't a recipe for success. Even as bloated and convoluted as Android is, the UI is light years ahead of BBOS.

Posted via CB10
    And light years more complicated

Nostalgia or the familiar is a powerful thing, you can see it everywhere, DAB radios design, photographic cameras, and don't forget even Microsoft had to bring back the familiar Windows button.

In the meantime my mother in law just got an android phone and promptly got a �200 bill because she wasn't hanging up calls properly.
    03-11-16 09:14 AM
    I'm all for them even bringing back the telegraph machine....or the teletype.....now thats innovation
    Telegrams never went away:

https://www.itelegram.com/
    03-11-16 09:19 AM
    No. They shouldn't bring legacy devices back. BlackBerry 10 is already a good os. Such a pity that most develepors are either too lazy to port their apps to this os or they have their own reasons and excuses... Lots of new and emerging os besides BlackBerry 10 are slowly dying simply because of some famous apps are not there...
    The main "Excuse" is that there's not enough paying customers on those fringe OS's to make developing for them worthwhile.

The other "excuse" is that Blackberry themselves have been telling developers to go develop for Android for over a year now. Develop your apps for android, put them on the amazon app store. That's the message BBRY has been telling devs since the end of 2014.
    DrBoomBotz and JeepBB like this.
    03-11-16 09:33 AM
    BBOS is dead, so is BB10 (it was never really alive) the only hope is for them to recreate the general BBOS experience in android.
    I agree that BBOS and BB10 are done. BB's idea appears to be to try and migrate as many BB10 users to Android by recreating a BB10-lite comfort zone on the Priv. There will never be any attempt to build a BBOS comfort zone on the Priv - not enough would buy it.

Yes. Yes, it was.

It acquired many fans for the OS, and the Hub Peek&Flow paradigm is nice - but yes, it cost BB a fortune and was a commercial failure.

Capture the BB nostalgia in powerful android handsets is their only left hope, and I really hope they're working I but right now.
    They're not.

BBOS is dead to everyone but a few diehards. And they are too few to make any difference to BB's bottom line.

My wife is still using her 4 -5 years old 9790, they need to give her something to upgrade to.
    BB's "something" is the Priv. An Android phone with some BB10-like features. If that isn't what you or your wife are looking for, well... BB have nothing more.
    03-11-16 09:44 AM

They need to appeal to new users. Just spending millions on satisfying your wife won't help them achieve a profitable bottom line.

What is there to recreated from the BBOS experience that you can't already find on other devices? Battery pull? Long boot up time? Hourglass? Apps that installs into limited RAM?

Posted via CB10
    03-11-16 09:51 AM
    I agree that BBOS and BB10 are done. BB's idea appears to be to try and migrate as many BB10 users to Android by recreating a BB10-lite comfort zone on the Priv. There will never be any attempt to build a BBOS comfort zone on the Priv - not enough would buy it.

Yes. Yes, it was.

It acquired many fans for the OS, and the Hub Peek&Flow paradigm is nice - but yes, it cost BB a fortune and was a commercial failure.

They're not.

BBOS is dead to everyone but a few diehards. And they are too few to make any difference to BB's bottom line.

BB's "something" is the Priv. An Android phone with some BB10-like features. If that isn't what you or your wife are looking for, well... BB have nothing more.
    So BB barely have any BB10 customers and now they try to move those to Android?

Anybody that thinks that's a good idea are so deluded.
    03-11-16 10:00 AM
    They need to appeal to new users. Just spending millions on satisfying your wife won't help them achieve a profitable bottom line.

What is there to recreated from the BBOS experience that you can't already find on other devices? Battery pull? Long boot up time? Hourglass? Apps that installs into limited RAM?

Posted via CB10
    No, they already did that with BB10.
    03-11-16 10:01 AM
    I would suggest that there is a market for a device that has follows the Q10 /9900 format but with a proper 9900 trackpad. This device would be an Android. BlackBerry can not afford to manage three operating systems. BlackBerry needs to move to Android to lower their operating and production costs. It is too bad that BlackBerry is so slow. This device should come out to follow the new small iPhone. An iconic device needs the removable battery.

The Vienna could replace the Passport/ Classic.

Posted via CB10
    03-11-16 10:20 AM
910 ... 1011121314 ...