@Op. Good one.
    DrBoomBotz and JeepBB like this.
    03-09-16 10:28 AM
    The vast majority of the remaining BBOS users are in emerging markets, and BB really has nothing that is going to appeal to these people, most of whom are likely to buy newer, relatively high-performing phones in the $200 range - which is less than BB can make phones for and even come close to breaking even.
    Microsoft continue to make and sell feature phones ... are you saying there is no possible way of manufacturing cheap BBOS-style handsets and there is no market for it and no possible way to generate any profit out of it?

Colour me dubious.
    03-09-16 10:42 AM
    Seriously? You're the exact opposite of Ford. He's Apple in this situation (new disruptive, industry tech).

You're more like Lazaridis (or the Ford naysayers), mocking the innovation and hoping for the best while staying stagnant.

It's not that I only believe in Android. I believe that people aren't as stupid as you wish they were and can be marketed into accepting an inferior solution.
    I'm not like Lazaridis - if you read my threads you'll see that I think BlackBerry lost their soul of being innovators. I'm not married to bb10 although I think it is technically far better then both Android and IOS.
    But if BlackBerry abandons bb10 and makes something completely new is up to them but they need to be leaders and not just followers adopting android.

I don't wish for people to be stupid . But the truth is most humans are followers.. which is why there were plenty of people like you guys telling henry ford that cars are crazy and only carriages are good when the world only had carriages .

That is really no different then you guys telling me that only Android or Apple is good (the currently established path) and BlackBerry couldn't do any better.

Most people only believe what is successful in the moment and only a few people (like jobs or henry ford) have an imagination to see what could be and then went for it and then convinced all the naysayers to eventually go with them.

When I worked at staples in college the handspring visors were huge.
    Now I actually thought the visor was a great device based on its own merits but 9/10 people came in and just said "I want the visor" since everyone else wanted a visor. Only 1/10 people actually came in, looked at the rest of the devices in detail and decided for themselves if it was better or not.
    Likewise you all love the iPhone because everyone else loves the iPhone.. not because it was actually so great.
    Last edited by ravencore; 03-09-16 at 11:42 AM.
    03-09-16 11:22 AM
    You lost me at this point.

I can't view anything else you say with any seriousness after that.

Such wilful dismissal of the disruptive change that the iPhone brought to the world is beyond me.
    Yes the iPhone is a religion that jobs sold you guys well.. so much so that you can't handle anyone thinking "different".

Likewise you can't handle anyone trying to point out how BlackBerry could make a comeback because according to you guys only Android and IOS are the cars anyone should be driving and hence that makes blackberry "dead". Whereas I can see a blackberry that could be "alive" if they did things right.
    03-09-16 11:32 AM
    Never. Move on.

Look, I love my OS10 device; Passport SE. But, if it takes the Priv Android for BlackBerry to survive so be it. Looking backwards and hoping that the past will save the future is nonsense.

Posted via CB10
    Almost as sad as thinking that Android will save BB or that the Priv is close to a flagship device.
    03-09-16 11:39 AM
    no chance they wouldn't get past the front door
    03-09-16 11:40 AM
    Almost as sad as thinking that Android will save BB or that the Priv is close to a flagship device.
    BBOS and BB10 clearly wasn't going to save BB at this point, Android was really the only option.

As for the PRIV being a flagship.... I'd say it was the closest that BlackBerry has come to making a flagship like device in a long, long time. But no the hardware doesn't match the price. Especially now with it's much delayed launch on Verizon... at the same time as the new Galaxy phones being on sale, and the newly announced HTC and LG Flagships should be out in April. It's time for a price drop, that BlackBerry really can't afford.
    03-09-16 11:59 AM
    "Such wilful dismissal of the disruptive change that the iPhone brought to the world is beyond me. "

"It's not that I only believe in Android. I believe that people aren't as stupid as you wish they were and can be marketed into accepting an inferior solution. "

Should BlackBerry bring back legacy devices?-destvae.jpg
    03-09-16 12:15 PM
    In all fairness, they brought in Heins. Chen was brought in to salvage his mess. And by the time Chen came onboard a turnaround opportunity like Apple's was long gone.
    Heins was promoted he wasn't "brought in"

Posted via CB10
    03-09-16 12:41 PM
    Yes the iPhone is a religion that jobs sold you guys well.. so much so that you can't handle anyone thinking "different".

Likewise you can't handle anyone trying to point out how BlackBerry could make a comeback because according to you guys only Android and IOS are the cars anyone should be driving and hence that makes blackberry "dead". Whereas I can see a blackberry that could be "alive" if they did things right.
    As I said, I can't take you seriously after your previous post.

iPhone isn't a religion, and being wrong about the impact of the iPhone introduction doesn't mean you are thinking "different" ... it simply means you are wrong.

I get that you dislike Apple/iPhone, to an intensity that blinds you to the hugely disruptive nature of the initial iPhone release in 2007, but such denial of the facts and the well-documented history of the impact of iPhone on the phone industry is unusual - even on the CB forums!

I don't believe it is too much of an exaggeration to divide phone "eras" into pre-iPhone and post-iPhone. The iPhone's arrival in 2007 fundamentally changed the phone landscape and all of the other phone vendors struggled to respond. Even BB, who misfired with the Storm, realised that the iPhone was a game-changer to which they had to respond. Google re-spun Android, previously intended to be on handsets modelled on BB phones (with a PKB), into the iPhone-clone that was was typical of early-Android handsets. Everyone realised that the iPhone represented the new standard, and that every phone from then onwards would be judged against that standard.

As to the rest of your post, BlackBerry isn't dead... though the hardware division is in serious trouble and might not survive. If BB does make a comeback, that success won't centre on phones (of any OS) as long as Chen remains CEO.
    03-09-16 12:46 PM
    BBOS and BB10 clearly wasn't going to save BB at this point, Android was really the only option.

As for the PRIV being a flagship.... I'd say it was the closest that BlackBerry has come to making a flagship like device in a long, long time. But no the hardware doesn't match the price. Especially now with it's much delayed launch on Verizon... at the same time as the new Galaxy phones being on sale, and the newly announced HTC and LG Flagships should be out in April. It's time for a price drop, that BlackBerry really can't afford.
    BlackBerry cannot produce in scale to drive down production cost, cannot sell in premium price due to tarnished brand, but need all the profit it could get, so no price drop. A difficult situation indeed and the Verizon delay simply makes a bit more difficult even. Seems like BlackBerry is even having trouble porting M to Priv.
    03-09-16 12:55 PM
    Microsoft continue to make and sell feature phones ... are you saying there is no possible way of manufacturing cheap BBOS-style handsets and there is no market for it and no possible way to generate any profit out of it?
    BB could produce old models of phones that they already have molds and designs and software for at relatively low cost IF they could order enough of them, but that's the rub - they can't sell enough of them to make it worthwhile. Further, BBOS worldwide is QUICKLY dying - userbase has dropped from 30M a year ago to 12M at the beginning of this year and will be below 1M by the end of this year. Carriers will be pulling the plug on their BIS servers (as a number of them have already done, including T-Mobile USA) and then even the diehards will be out of luck. Developed markets are moving towards an LTE-only network environment, and BBOS doesn't do LTE. There's simply no future there.

And if you imagine that BB is going to spend a single cent to "modernize" BBOS, you're delusional. If it could have been done, they'd have done it back in 2011-12.

BBOS had its time in the sun, but its world is growing darker every day, and soon the sun is going to set completely. That's just the facts - no malice at all.
    03-09-16 01:13 PM
    As I said, I can't take you seriously after your previous post.

iPhone isn't a religion, and being wrong about the impact of the iPhone introduction doesn't mean you are thinking "different" ... it simply means you are wrong.

I get that you dislike Apple/iPhone, to an intensity that blinds you to the hugely disruptive nature of the initial iPhone release in 2007, but such denial of the facts and the well-documented history of the impact of iPhone on the phone industry is unusual - even on the CB forums!

I don't believe it is too much of an exaggeration to divide phone "eras" into pre-iPhone and post-iPhone. The iPhone's arrival in 2007 fundamentally changed the phone landscape and all of the other phone vendors struggled to respond. Even BB, who misfired with the Storm, realised that the iPhone was a game-changer to which they had to respond. Google re-spun Android, previously intended to be on handsets modelled on BB phones (with a PKB), into the iPhone-clone that was was typical of early-Android handsets. Everyone realised that the iPhone represented the new standard, and that every phone from then onwards would be judged against that standard.

As to the rest of your post, BlackBerry isn't dead... though the hardware division is in serious trouble and might not survive. If BB does make a comeback, that success won't centre on phones (of any OS) as long as Chen remains CEO.
    In 2007, BlackBerry owned 75% of the smartphone market... but back then it was a small niche "prosumer" market. Apple created the "consumer" smartphone market, where they now sell more devices during a launch weekend than BlackBerry ever did during an entire year during their prime.

While Google has become the dominate player (thanks mainly to low cost, low end devices), their first go with Android was initially going to be a BlackBerry like device (PKB).... at least until Steve Jobs showed the manufactures that a device without a keyboard would sell. Google was quick to react to the iPhone... unlike some.

As for BlackBerry making a comeback.... almost anything is possible. I "kinda" taught that with the PRIV they might be able to easily sell a enough devices to reach Chen's 5 Million goal. But it's clear BlackBerry isn't in a position to compete with Android OEMs, nor does it appear that Chen is willing to risk the money it would take to market the PRIV. If they sold a million of them this quarter I'll be surprised.
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-09-16 01:38 PM
    You do realize no one makes the old chips and it would require major software rework to even make a phone in the same shape, but updated hardware, right?

Who's paying for that?
    03-09-16 01:55 PM
    BB could produce old models of phones that they already have molds and designs and software for at relatively low cost IF they could order enough of them, but that's the rub - they can't sell enough of them to make it worthwhile. Further, BBOS worldwide is QUICKLY dying - userbase has dropped from 30M a year ago to 12M at the beginning of this year and will be below 1M by the end of this year. Carriers will be pulling the plug on their BIS servers (as a number of them have already done, including T-Mobile USA) and then even the diehards will be out of luck. Developed markets are moving towards an LTE-only network environment, and BBOS doesn't do LTE. There's simply no future there.

And if you imagine that BB is going to spend a single cent to "modernize" BBOS, you're delusional. If it could have been done, they'd have done it back in 2011-12.

BBOS had its time in the sun, but its world is growing darker every day, and soon the sun is going to set completely. That's just the facts - no malice at all.
    If there's a market for QWERTY phones, someone will cater for that market - whether it's BlackBerry or some other company.
    03-09-16 02:34 PM

Colour me dubious.
    No!

Posted via CB10
    03-09-16 02:38 PM
    Slap OS 10 on it for all I care, just make it cheap and affordable ... not overpriced junk like the privvy
    03-09-16 03:18 PM
    I was hoping for a witty comeback involving Henry Ford, but no matter. I take it you've now Googled the history of the iPhone, and discovered the disruptive nature of the iPhone in 2007 is regarded as historical fact by, well, everyone!
    Um no there was nothing disruptive about the iPhone other then Steve Jobs was good at convincing sheeps that it was so great.. when in fact it just plain sucked (and still does).
    But I do give Steve Jobs props for personality and being able to make people believe when pretty much everyone had written Apple off for dead. BlackBerry needed the same kind of marketing.

And the fact that the rest of the sheep agree with you doesn't actually make it fact.. it just makes you well, sheep.
    03-09-16 03:27 PM
    If a BB10 device turns on in the forest with nobody there, does it really matter? That's about how things are with BB10 fanboys now.....

Posted via CB10
    03-09-16 03:36 PM
    Well first I didn't post any incorrect assertions.. but I do think for myself and it confuses little brains that have trouble processing independent thought.

By sheep I mean everyone that drolled over the iphone, thinking it was amazing, when in fact it was largely a step backwards on several fronts and only marginally improved on other fronts.
    You bought a BB Storm, didn't you?

It can be the only explanation for the bitter and twisted hatred you have for iPhone.
    03-09-16 03:48 PM
    If a BB10 device turns on in the forest with nobody there, does it really matter? That's about how things are with BB10 fanboys now.....
    I'm with Bart Simpson on the "sound of one hand clapping".
    03-09-16 03:50 PM

It can be the only explanation for the bitter and twisted hatred you have for iPhone.
    No I used Palm and then Windows Mobile and then Android.
    I didn't discover BlackBerry bb10 until recently, because I was tired of being annoyed by Android.

I don't really have a ton of hate for the iPhone other then I recognize it as being the truly mediocre device it is and my willingness to say so tends to get me in spats with people that can't handle Apple getting criticized.
    For the most part I just don't care about the iPhone, I just see it is a bad version of a good tool. My own sister has one and I generally keep my mouth shut about it at family gatherings.
    Last edited by ravencore; 03-09-16 at 04:36 PM.
    03-09-16 04:09 PM

There you go generalizing. I bought a Storm and i don't hate the iPhone.

JeepBB likes this.
    03-09-16 04:58 PM
    I left BB10 Z10 two weeks ago,I sold it for half price I've bought. The android apps have been lagging.no decent maps apps.And announcements about whatsapp...
    I moved to Windows phone.I was afraid of missing BB Hub. And flow of BB. Surprisingly,I'm not missing any of these.
    Moving to Windows was one of the best decisions. Android or iPhone not for my taste.
    I was so blindly devote to BB and I shouldn't after the first time they messed up with Playbook.
    After Chen what he did now with BB, I will never trust again BB.
    Good bee.
    There is a thread for those leaving BlackBerry

http://forums.crackberry.com/general...thread-260887/
    03-09-16 05:10 PM

I have all three platforms. bb10 basically doesn't do things right. You saying that it could means nothing. People aren't stupid. BB10 users aren't more intelligent. BB 10 users aren't independent thinkers.
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    03-09-16 05:12 PM
910 ... 7891011 ...