Um BlackBerry is NOT dying. I really wish people would stop saying that.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    03-04-16 12:11 PM
    Um BlackBerry is NOT dying. I really wish people would stop saying that.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Yes BlackBerry is not dying, but BB10 sure doesn't look very healthy.
    03-04-16 01:31 PM
    03-04-16 02:16 PM
    OK, I know that I am going to get flamed, ridiculed, slammed, whatever your favorite adjective is, but I would buy a 99XX series with BIS, an updated OS7 and Classic internals. BIS was, IMHO, much more reliable in message delivery.
    03-04-16 06:35 PM
    i had another thought once, where blackberry blend would allow you to install blackberry OS over selected phones like (Lumia930, Zenfone2, HTC or even to install it over the priv) instead of the android based OS...
    but the company has its own ideology to increase their stocks, no need for us to suggest. ^_^
    03-04-16 09:58 PM
    Not to be rude. Just imagine if BB re-release the Storm and Storm 2
    They did. They renamed it the Priv.
    03-05-16 01:01 AM
    I still shudder at the thought of the hourglassing when my device updated its apps and then had to reboot for ten or more minutes.
    I don't know what hourglassing or 10 minute reboots you are talking about. I've been using a 9900 for years and never once experienced that.
    03-05-16 02:21 AM
    I don't know what hourglassing or 10 minute reboots you are talking about. I've been using a 9900 for years and never once experienced that.
    It's not like it's been documented about over and over again.....oh, wait....never mind.
    03-05-16 07:17 AM
    That's the funniest thing I've heard this year.

Now, if all you ever did was check email and use the phone, and never use any apps, then perhaps you haven't seen the hourglassing.

Okay, the reboot times were an exaggeration - 3.5 to 4 minutes was more typical.

Posted via CB10
    Ronindan and JeepBB like this.
    03-05-16 12:01 PM
    This thread reminds of a classic car convention. Car lovers being all nostalgic about their beloved cars and discuss the flaws of their favorite models as defining characteristics. And go home in their new cars since their favorite model is too old, uses to much gas and impractical to drive.
    TgeekB, rthonpm, JeepBB and 1 others like this.
    03-05-16 12:52 PM
    This thread reminds of a classic car convention. Car lovers being all nostalgic about their beloved cars and discuss the flaws of their favorite models as defining characteristics. And go home in their new cars since their favorite model is too old, uses to much gas and impractical to drive.
    Hmm... How about too big, too heavy, and too exhausting after a long hard day... Oh wait, that describes my modern, "newer MUST be better", Classic. Lol.

I drive my 9900 home every night and feel best served by it. Nothing "nostalgic" about it. For MY use, it simply provides the most efficient, least exhausting, communications platform of ANY handset made to date. Obviously not what "average consumers" prioritize. That's ok. There's NOthing "average" about niche markets.

I just wish BB, apple, Samsung or SOMEbody would get over their "size envy" thing and produce a comfortably dimensioned, pkb, tracknav, communications oriented handset! A niche ripe for picking! IMO. Fwiw.
    03-06-16 09:46 AM
    That's the funniest thing I've heard this year.

Now, if all you ever did was check email and use the phone, and never use any apps, then perhaps you haven't seen the hourglassing.

Okay, the reboot times were an exaggeration - 3.5 to 4 minutes was more typical.

Posted via CB10
    My Classic takes twice as long to boot as my 9900. Fwiw. When was the last time you, and other "legacy experts", personally loaded latest OS7.1 into a 9900 and truly walked it thru its paces, yourself?

I fully agree that early OS releases suffered embarrassingly abysmal reliability and suspect those issues are part of the "collective memory" perpetuated in these forums. BUT latest releases truly are pretty solid. Not perfect, and severely limited for some, but BB10 CAN be brought to its knees also.

My company still uses dozens of 9900s and no one here in the breakroom can even recall last seeing an hourglass or even recall if it were an hourglass or a spinning hourglass or even what the silly thing was... Back when it WAS a problem.

My company values reliability above ALL things. There's NO way we would still be using 9900s if they were as miserable as frequently cited in these pages.
    03-06-16 11:13 AM
    My Classic takes twice as long to boot as my 9900. Fwiw. When was the last time you, and other "legacy experts", personally loaded latest OS7.1 into a 9900 and truly walked it thru its paces, yourself?

I fully agree that early OS releases suffered embarrassingly abysmal reliability and suspect those issues are part of the "collective memory" perpetuated in these forums. BUT latest releases truly are pretty solid. Not perfect, and severely limited for some, but BB10 CAN be brought to its knees also.

My company still uses dozens of 9900s and no one here in the breakroom can even recall last seeing an hourglass or even recall if it were an hourglass or a spinning hourglass or even what the silly thing was... Back when it WAS a problem.

My company values reliability above ALL things. There's NO way we would still be using 9900s if they were as miserable as frequently cited in these pages.
    To be fair, my experience with BBOS ended with OS 6 on my 9800 - because they never made an OS 7 for that model. Before that was OS 4.5 on an old Pearl 8100. Boot up times on both devices was consistently just under 4 minutes.

My current Z10 with the latest OS is up and running from a cold boot in 1 minute 45 seconds - hub full and ready to go.

(BTW, a lot of people say their device takes a long time to boot up or whatever but they almost never tell us what that means. How many actual minutes, for the rest of us to compare. I mean, 30 minutes is a long to to me. 2 minutes, not so much.)

Now, I'll agree there were many features in BBOS that I missed when I first got my Z10. Granular notification settings per account type took over a year to finally make it in BB10. Of course they had to clumsily shove it into a OS that was obviously never meant to have such settings. Granular backup and restore, and support for Outlook categories for contacts will apparently never make it to BB10 now.

Posted via CB10
    03-06-16 03:22 PM
    To be fair, my experience with BBOS ended with OS 6 on my 9800 - because they never made an OS 7 for that model. Before that was OS 4.5 on an old Pearl 8100. Boot up times on both devices was consistently just under 4 minutes.

My current Z10 with the latest OS is up and running from a cold boot in 1 minute 45 seconds - hub full and ready to go.

(BTW, a lot of people say their device takes a long time to boot up or whatever but they almost never tell us what that means. How many actual minutes, for the rest of us to compare. I mean, 30 minutes is a long to to me. 2 minutes, not so much.)

Now, I'll agree there were many features in BBOS that I missed when I first got my Z10. Granular notification settings per account type took over a year to finally make it in BB10. Of course they had to clumsily shove it into a OS that was obviously never meant to have such settings. Granular backup and restore, and support for Outlook categories for contacts will apparently never make it to BB10 now.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, you didn't miss much during that first year of 7.1. Most of my folks stuck with OS5 on 9650s that year while 9900 got sorted out. OS6 caused other issues for us on 9650s. Don't really recall what. Several of my smart guys swam deep into hybrid OS about then.

True to pattern for BB, OS 7.1 finally settled in to tolerable status about when 9900 was getting past its prime. Finally, really reliable OS7.1 versions released well after BB10 launch, interestingly.

It was painfully obvious, back when, that BBOS had to be a bloatware nightmare for RIM's devs. Given what those devs had to work with, their heroic accomplishments really deserve admiration, IMO.

I, for one, have NO desire to return to early BBOS's reliability headaches. Quite a few of us, however, are really wishing for some way to regain the multitude of tiny little features that never made the transition from 7.1 to 10.
    03-06-16 04:50 PM

How many of those fellow workers use their work phone in a very limited way, while carrying a personal phone for everything else?

I ran 7.1 on my 9930. It took almost 15min from battery pull till fully usable. Granted, I'm a very heavy user, but my experience is hardly out of the ordinary. The hourglassing was painful. I miss the features BB10 never added, but I don't miss BBOS enough to live with the lag, nor lack of apps.
    Jerry A and JeepBB like this.
    03-06-16 05:45 PM
    How many of those fellow workers use their work phone in a very limited way, while carrying a personal phone for everything else?

I ran 7.1 on my 9930. It took almost 15min from battery pull till fully usable. Granted, I'm a very heavy user, but my experience is hardly out of the ordinary. The hourglassing was painful. I miss the features BB10 never added, but I don't miss BBOS enough to live with the lag, nor lack of apps.
    Exactly. The "at work we use" argument, while certainly appropriate for simple work-related processes, are not what consumers are interested in. Two completely different scenarios.
    BigBadWulf, Jerry A and rthonpm like this.
    03-06-16 06:31 PM

Our 9930s are all on 7.1.0.1066. Released around Nov of 2013. We count on our 99s to be call ready less than 3 minutes after battery swap. Most of us swap batts rather than hug walls. I recommend trying that version and observe KISS principle when it comes to apps and you also might forget what that spinning hourglass looks like.

Our 99s are communications prioritized devices. They simply don't have power for power hungry apps. All of us typically dual carry. Mostly Classics. Our company generously buys just about anything we want.

I, personally, don't use my 99s for online banking, for example.

I DO carry them for a usable calendar, swappable battery, etc. Our biggest use for them is spreadsheet editing. Its nice to be able to insert rows, for example.

They're not for EVERY one. But that's life in the niche world.
    03-06-16 06:39 PM
    We're talking about 2 very different things here. Niche (very niche) work devices to take calls, etc. and consumer devices for a completely different market. It's very, very difficult to argue which is best for every situation. For instance, I would rather edit a spreadsheet on my device than a 9900, but that's me. But for communication only, a 9900 is hard to beat.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-06-16 06:51 PM
    We're talking about 2 very different things here. Niche (very niche) work devices to take calls, etc. and consumer devices for a completely different market. It's very, very difficult to argue which is best for every situation. For instance, I would rather edit a spreadsheet on my device than a 9900, but that's me. But for communication only, a 9900 is hard to beat.
    Completely agree. All depends on use. The market is well saturated with oversized powerhouse devices to do "everything for everybody". No room for BlackBerry there, sad to say. A communications prioritized handset sized for comfort might be a potential niche. Minuscule, but crumbs the market giants neglect might be the only sales available. ???

Like I said before, resurrecting BBOS itself is unrealistic folly, IMO. BUT, there are elements of legacy that still might promise niche sales.
    03-06-16 07:05 PM
    Completely agree. All depends on use. The market is well saturated with oversized powerhouse devices to do "everything for everybody". No room for BlackBerry there, sad to say. A communications prioritized handset sized for comfort might be a potential niche. Minuscule, but crumbs the market giants neglect might be the only sales available. ???

Like I said before, resurrecting BBOS itself is unrealistic folly, IMO. BUT, there are elements of legacy that still might promise niche sales.
    I always say, choice is good, but n order for something to be a choice it has to survive financially. Unfortunately, BBOS couldn't do that any more. I loved having a small "communicating device", as we like to call it, in my pocket. It as a perfect fit for that. Technology continues to advance though and new opportunities arise, which usually leave "old" technology behind. Old tech continues to work but eventually gets forgotten. It's just the way it goes.
    03-06-16 07:10 PM
    I always say, choice is good, but n order for something to be a choice it has to survive financially. Unfortunately, BBOS couldn't do that any more. I loved having a small "communicating device", as we like to call it, in my pocket. It as a perfect fit for that. Technology continues to advance though and new opportunities arise, which usually leave "old" technology behind. Old tech continues to work but eventually gets forgotten. It's just the way it goes.
    Well, fwiw, it's really pretty easy to find ordinary consumers in the wild expressing fatigue with the current "oversized handset" market. I just don't see how bigger devices represent technological progress. Real progress, IMO, would be PassPort power in 9900 sized chassis. As an engineer, bigger just looks like the easy way out. Fwiw.
    03-06-16 07:29 PM
    Well, fwiw, it's really pretty easy to find ordinary consumers in the wild expressing fatigue with the current "oversized handset" market. I just don't see how bigger devices represent technological progress. Real progress, IMO, would be PassPort power in 9900 sized chassis. As an engineer, bigger just looks like the easy way out. Fwiw.
    Larger screens allow for dong more things easily. Again, form a consumer standpoint, it allows people to watch movies, play games, etc. For business it means having a larger work space, the same reason we use desktop computers for many things.

There is no perfect device for every situation. Like you, we have to determine what we will do with the device most and find the one that serves us best. Most people have determined a larger device allows them the most freedom, I would guess.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-06-16 07:41 PM
    Larger screens allow for dong more things easily. Again, form a consumer standpoint, it allows people to watch movies, play games, etc. For business it means having a larger work space, the same reason we use desktop computers for many things.

There is no perfect device for every situation. Like you, we have to determine what we will do with the device most and find the one that serves us best. Most people have determined a larger device allows them the most freedom, I would guess.
    Hard to get much larger screen than the 100" monster I like Miracasting my Classic on in our conference room. Lol. Love the trackpad for that. Real technology finds ways to work big thru smaller footprints. .

But, you are right, the consumer has spoken, for sure. Guess I just don't equate shifts in consumer focus to be equivalent with true technological advancement.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-06-16 08:08 PM
    Hard to get much larger screen than the 100" monster I like Miracasting my Classic on in our conference room. Lol. Love the trackpad for that. Real technology finds ways to work big thru smaller footprints. .

But, you are right, the consumer has spoken, for sure. Guess I just don't equate shifts in consumer focus to be equivalent with true technological advancement.
    I agree and good point. That's a great way to make use of a large screen. But we're not always around one. That's when your device is your large screen. But it sounds like you have the best device for your situation.
    idssteve likes this.
    03-06-16 08:17 PM
    Our 9930s are all on 7.1.0.1066. Released around Nov of 2013. We count on our 99s to be call ready less than 3 minutes after battery swap. Most of us swap batts rather than hug walls. I recommend trying that version and observe KISS principle when it comes to apps and you also might forget what that spinning hourglass looks like.

Our 99s are communications prioritized devices. They simply don't have power for power hungry apps. All of us typically dual carry. Mostly Classics. Our company generously buys just about anything we want.

I, personally, don't use my 99s for online banking, for example.

I DO carry them for a usable calendar, swappable battery, etc. Our biggest use for them is spreadsheet editing. Its nice to be able to insert rows, for example.

They're not for EVERY one. But that's life in the niche world.
    Yep, that was the final OS I had installed. As you've now admitted, the use you're defining isn't anywhere near the norm. If the 99xx was your only phone, your experience would be almost unavoidably different.
    03-06-16 08:45 PM
910 ... 23456 ...