No I don't think so, but they should bring back the free social networking :0, that alone would bring back people or at least sway people over

Posted via CB10
    03-03-16 10:55 AM
    Yeah, BB10 was so successful they've cried themselves right into the grave.
    Not because of you or other BBOS fans. There are not enough if you to keep the company afloat. Enjoy your 9900 as long as you can though, it was a nice device.
    anon(9710735) likes this.
    03-03-16 10:58 AM
    you serious about this huh ?

Should BlackBerry bring back legacy devices?-bodega17n-4-web.jpg
    ubizmo likes this.
    03-03-16 01:35 PM
    I thought BB10 is the reason why BlackBerry is where it is today, no?

Posted via CB10
    No. BlackBerry stuck with BBOS for far too long instead of moving to a modern OS. BBOS was, and is, to a pager OS kludged into a phone. Had they dropped BBOS at least two years earlier with a hard and heavy background development of BlackBerry 10 that was ready for prime time, they may have had something. As it was, once people saw what even early iOS and Android were capable of instead of the heavily constrained Java base of the old OS, there was little reason to stay.
    03-03-16 02:49 PM
    No

Posted via CB10
    03-03-16 03:44 PM
    While we're at it, I hope Nokia releases a flip phone.

Posted via CB10
    Nokias were illogical and uncomfortable. And often ugly.
    But if Motorola released an updated Razr V3 tomorrow, I'd totally buy it.
    03-03-16 04:43 PM
    But if Motorola released an updated Razr V3 tomorrow, I'd totally buy it.
    Yeah, that Razr V3 was nice. I probably have mine lying around somewhere.
    03-03-16 05:24 PM
    Well....even if you think they are good phones (and I loved my Bold), you really wanna pay extra BIS-money in 2016 to get an email on your phone?!

Posted via CB10
    I'd love to get back the BIS filters. My phone only got selected emails from certain friends/relatives. The other stuff was retrieved at home on my computer.
    03-03-16 06:59 PM
    My wife still uses her 9900 and will not upgrade to anything else.

The 9900 is now totally dysfunctional, but then so is my wife.

Ouch! That hurt.

Seriously, it was a great phone.

"Z30 STA100-2 UK" 10.3.2.2836 Get's a Ten from Fen.
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-03-16 07:07 PM
    Sounds like a great idea! If BlackBerry can remove BIS as a necessity for BBOS to run with normal data plan, that might be a great place to start.
    If that works then maybe we could get them to remove the outdated Runtime as a necessity to run Android apps under BB10. Then maybe that would solve the lack of apps problem, and then ...
    03-03-16 07:55 PM
    they sold like hot cakes, more so than any bb10
    03-03-16 08:17 PM
    So did American cars in the 1970's but that doesn't mean anyone wants those back. Just as the terrible reputation of those cars damaged the US auto manufacturers, BBOS affected people's opinions of BB10.

The only reason BBOS sold so well was that there really wasn't a compelling alternative. As soon as there was something that actually offered features, people moved away in droves.

Posted via CB10
    DrBoomBotz, JeepBB, TgeekB and 2 others like this.
    03-03-16 08:42 PM
    But most of the people who owned those BBOS devices abandoned them in droves due to their limitations. By the time BB10 came around a majority of BBOS users had already left the platform.

Posted via my BlackBerry Priv
    GadgetTravel likes this.
    03-03-16 08:58 PM
    I guess I can't contest "often ugly," because I don't know the entire product line, but I loved my Nokia 6600 Fold. Beautiful and functional. Great phone. It had push-button flip too.
    03-03-16 09:42 PM
    Kids say the darnedest things.
    rthonpm and TgeekB like this.
    03-03-16 11:23 PM
    So did bag phones in 1990 or so. Probably not now. Also, many (most?) carriers are dropping BIS.
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-04-16 12:05 AM
    Yes by all means. Bring back Mike and Jim too and let them run this baby like its 2005. It can't miss!!
    03-04-16 04:10 AM
    I guess I can't contest "often ugly," because I don't know the entire product line, but I loved my Nokia 6600 Fold. Beautiful and functional. Great phone. It had push-button flip too.
    Yeah, 660 looked nice.

I was talking more about this:
    Should BlackBerry bring back legacy devices?-avl50xy.jpg

Although personally I've never liked Nokias because of their menu structure - too many important options were hidden deep within menu structure. (Copying text in my Nokia I got in work looked like this: Press "options", scroll to bottom, press "more options", scroll to bottom, press "more options" again, scroll to bottom, press "copy or paste", scroll to bottom, press "copy". Then repeat the procedure for paste.) It's also the same problem I have with many android phones - many options are hidden in ridiculous menu tree structure.
    03-04-16 07:00 AM
    Well....even if you think they are good phones (and I loved my Bold), you really wanna pay extra BIS-money in 2016 to get an email on your phone?!

Posted via CB10
    That won't be a worry. Most US carriers stopped with the BIS fees for post-paid customers by 2011. People were tired of paying a premium to use a less modern phone.

In turn, carriers greatly reduced what the were paying to BlackBerry. Depending on who you believe, carriers weren't paying BIS fees for any new activations.

Hence the reason subscription revenue was declining faster than handset sales - before BB10 was released.
    03-04-16 07:22 AM
    As it was, once people saw what even early iOS and Android were capable of instead of the heavily constrained Java base of the old OS, there was little reason to stay.
    Not forgetting, of course, the huge amount of Java(esque) bytecode in Android. Or the inability to even run apps on iOS1...
    03-04-16 07:39 AM
    Not forgetting, of course, the huge amount of Java(esque) bytecode in Android. Or the inability to even run apps on iOS1...
    ...Are non-relevant to the discussion at hand.

Not having native apps 6 years ago doesn't diminish what iOS is capable of today. Heck, it didn't diminish it then - as seen by the swift uptake.

A Java bytecode interpreter isn't the same thing as an entire platform based on J2ME. One is a VM for easily running the same code on disparate hardware. The other is a platform that was originally designed to power smartrings.
    rthonpm likes this.
    03-04-16 07:45 AM
    No - there is a reason why that OS needed to go. Actually, lots.

Whether BlackBerry should have replaced it with BlackBerry 10, Android, Windows Phone or something else can be argued until the cows come home, but all of them provided technical capabilities of a modern OS that BlackBerry OS did not have.

I still shudder at the thought of the hourglassing when my device updated its apps and then had to reboot for ten or more minutes.

I liken it to trying to compete with nearby office towers by trying to build one on a foundation intended for a cottage or cabin.
    web99 likes this.
    03-04-16 10:43 AM
    OP I think what you might be missing are the styling characteristics unique to each manufacturer's handsets of yesteryear. Nokia, BlackBerry, Motorola, Errickson all had individualistic styling and functionality that set them apart from one another.

Today's handsets are all basically the same drab slab with gentle, boring variations and evolve in very subtle ways with little [non geeks] consumer excitement, leaving some of us wanting to go back in time.
    anon(9710735) and jegs2 like this.
    03-04-16 11:48 AM
    I used a Bold 9000 for 3 years and I don't miss it at all. Go back in time if you like, but you'll be carrying an iPod or a tablet to do your "real stuff" with.

All of you wishing for the 64 or 128 megs of internal app memory and all the other architectural limitations are looking heavily through rose colored glasses.

Put another way, I loved 8-bit computers and used them for many years. Would I like another new one exactly like I had 30 years ago? Yeah! Would I be able to use it for anything?

NO!!

Don't kid yourself. You'll be carrying that second device to make up for all the things legacy devices couldn't do.

Also, fiduciary duty to the shareholders? There'd be lawsuits asking why the hell are they not trying to make a profit. No consumer will buy the legacy device. NONE. They would sell at the $20 price however as disposable phones when you don't want to take your real phone someplace.

Sorry but it's true.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-16 11:57 AM
    If your satisfied then treasure your older devices in spite of the "new is always better" advocates. Dissatisfaction is a human weakness that infects many.
    Two years ago I upgraded from my Motorola Razor.
    03-04-16 12:02 PM
910 12345 ...