OMG!

Posted via CB10
    03-02-16 08:39 PM
    While we're at it... I will downgrade my PC to MS-DOS 6.0

Posted via CB10
    rthonpm likes this.
    03-02-16 08:40 PM
    I think it's fairly obvious that those of us who like keyboards are a niche market. When you start dividing us further by OS preference, we're so insignificant that it would make no sense to build a phone for us. I guess that's why BlackBerry is slowly dying.

If there are enough of us who like keyboards, maybe the best thing to do would be to build an android phone along the lines of the classic blackberry form factor (Bold, Curve, etc). Using android would reduce the software labour required. Maybe the Vienna will fit that bill. Maybe not. I had hoped, when MPie made the MP108, that we'd see a few more BB/Android knockoffs, but I haven't seen one since.
    03-02-16 09:04 PM

Posted via CB10
    Maybe we can bring back 8-track tapes too.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-16 09:37 PM
    Yeah I'm sure BB is upset over the fact that you bought 3 of their BB10 devices and a Playbook but decided to go back to a legacy device. They wiped their tears with the money they made off of you.
    Yeah, BB10 was so successful they've cried themselves right into the grave.
    anon(9710735) likes this.
    03-02-16 10:13 PM
    It is probably impossible to get carriers to sell phones that sip or compress data as GB is the new Crack and they are our dealers.

Posted via CB10
    anon(9710735) and ominaxe like this.
    03-02-16 10:21 PM
    If by bringing back you mean re-issue the last models of BBOS7 devices, then sure. There's no engineering effort involved and all the R&D cost have already been amortized. However, there are some hurdles:
    1) Parts may no longer be available or may not be at a cost that makes sense anymore.
    2) You can't build just 1. You have to build a lot of them and then you better be sure you can sell them.

It would be easier/ better to re-issue BBOS10 phones. But one way to get around the sales issue is to make people pre-order and plunk down cash deposit. If you hit your target , 100,000 phones or whatever, then production starts.

I for one would be inline for one or two backup BB7 devices as well as a new Q10.

Before you start, it would be good to answer one important question: How many BB devices are still active worldwide? If that number is small, you can forget it. Nobody who is gone will come back. You're just targetting the Kim Kardashians of the world with this scheme
    03-02-16 10:28 PM
    If I could no longer insert spreadsheet rows in Win10, I might consider Dos6 and Lotus. Out of necessity.
    03-02-16 10:31 PM
    No... can not.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-16 10:35 PM
    The whole thing is just fun fantasy since the experienced talent needed is almost certainly too long gone. Re-release without first patching browsing security would be irresponsible.

A shame because SO many of us have been crying SO loudly for SO long for a legitimate successor to our aging 9900s. Oversized, overweight, fixed battery Classic was NOT it. Anyone who dreamed it could be lacked fundamental comprehension of what made a BlackBerry a Blackberry. Even among these forums. Kevin's original addiction wasn't on a virtual keyboard.

Zero sum thinkers keep acting like there's no such thing as "repeat customers". As if us legacy hold outs will hold out no matter what. Regardless of anything BB does. Again, that thinking represents fundamental miss comprehension on BB's part. On several levels. Starting with self identity.

iPhone did NOT dominate market share thru compromise. It offered an alternative. Boldly so (pun intended). Once tech monsters like Apple & Google stepped in, tiny RIM's fate was doomed to niche status. Something they, and many here, failed to grasp. Some even now.

ML himself, in addition to some other shortcomings, may not have been consciously cognizant of the new landscape but he seemed to comprehend the BlackBerry experience and its importance to existing, and repeat, customers. A tiny minority in the overall market but a potential safety net if new products fail. TH's Z10 decision represented full scale abandonment of "BlackBerry Experience" to some of us. A surrender that failed to conquer.

A not so fun fantasy for some of us. Lol.
    03-03-16 07:04 AM
    Your eyes look very dilated.
    Your idea sounds like some of the "brilliant ideas" that I came up with when my eyes were that dilated.
    Woof.......who are you again!
    03-03-16 07:06 AM
    The whole thing is just fun fantasy since the experienced talent needed is almost certainly too long gone. Re-release without first patching browsing security would be irresponsible.

A shame because SO many of us have been crying SO loudly for SO long for a legitimate successor to our aging 9900s. Oversized, overweight, fixed battery Classic was NOT it. Anyone who dreamed it could be lacked fundamental comprehension of what made a BlackBerry a Blackberry. Even among these forums. Kevin's original addiction wasn't on a virtual keyboard.

Zero sum thinkers keep acting like there's no such thing as "repeat customers". As if us legacy hold outs will hold out no matter what. Regardless of anything BB does. Again, that thinking represents fundamental miss comprehension on BB's part. On several levels. Starting with self identity.

iPhone did NOT dominate market share thru compromise. It offered an alternative. Boldly so (pun intended). Once tech monsters like Apple & Google stepped in, tiny RIM's fate was doomed to niche status. Something they, and many here, failed to grasp. Some even now.

ML himself, in addition to some other shortcomings, may not have been consciously cognizant of the new landscape but he seemed to comprehend the BlackBerry experience and its importance to existing, and repeat, customers. A tiny minority in the overall market but a potential safety net if new products fail. TH's Z10 decision represented full scale abandonment of "BlackBerry Experience" to some of us. A surrender that failed to conquer.

A not so fun fantasy for some of us. Lol.
    All true but remember, BlackBerry brought this on themselves, they had the market and arrogance lost it!

WOOF!
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-03-16 07:09 AM
    If BB re-release legacy devices, this forum will be filled with post such as:

"my bb is stuck in the boot up stage - what do I do?"

"do a battery pull"

"my bb slow today - what do I do"

"do a battery pull"

The memories ;-)
    03-03-16 07:16 AM
    The BBOS ship sailed a long time ago. Many of those who formerly had BBOS devices have moved on. I don't think that BlackBerry will make a profit by re-issues them.

Posted via my BlackBerry Priv
    rthonpm likes this.
    03-03-16 07:23 AM
    All true but remember, BlackBerry brought this on themselves, they had the market and arrogance lost it!

WOOF!
    They never really recovered from brand damage of the Storm 1 fiasco. Something that a company named "Research In Motion" might be expected to have preempted Verizon's request.

Time after time, much of their development bottleneck was software. BBOS was straining at the seams to accommodate touch hmi. BBOS devs themselves really deserve respected admiration for their heroic accomplishments given what they had to work with.

Instead, ML seemed to lock them out from BB10 development as if BBOS devs were to blame for BBOS's structural limits. Apparently based on something he read in a stupid book. Maybe "ZEN and the art of wrecking a thriving enterprise..." or some nonsense?? Lol.

Irreplaceable experience was squandered and never replaced. IMO.
    TgeekB, JeepBB and anon(9742832) like this.
    03-03-16 07:34 AM
    If BB re-release legacy devices, this forum will be filled with post such as:

"my bb is stuck in the boot up stage - what do I do?"

"do a battery pull"

"my bb slow today - what do I do"

"do a battery pull"

The memories ;-)
    Your memories seem consistent with the abysmal reliability of early OS7 releases. Did you bail out before later, more solid, releases? Get the latest release and those miseries are largely history. Not completely, but... Pretty solid. I, for one, simply wouldn't tolerate that type of unreliability.
    03-03-16 07:40 AM
    Yeah, BB10 was so successful they've cried themselves right into the grave.
    I never said they were successful, I just said they did their job with you.
    03-03-16 07:53 AM
    I never said they were successful, I just said they did their job with you.
    If they can't win over a hard core loyalist willing to spend money, effort and years TRYing to like what they're offering, what chance would they ever have to win casual consumers only willing to spend a few seconds in consideration?
    03-03-16 08:34 AM
    OP, remember that legacy devices is the reason why BlackBerry is where it is today

Posted via CB10
    03-03-16 08:55 AM
    OP, remember that legacy devices is the reason why BlackBerry is where it is today

Posted via CB10
    I thought BB10 is the reason why BlackBerry is where it is today, no?

Posted via CB10
    Frehley likes this.
    03-03-16 09:38 AM
    I totally can relate to the OPS question, really. The Bold 9900 remains my phone-phone no matter what other BB's I try. It would be nice if only it could browse a bit faster. Even with that, it's the best phone. Still.

Would it be a good move for BlackBerry to spend money at this time to dink around with it? I'm afraid I don't think so. But if the phone business picks up for them, I think there is a huge potential market for just a beefed up Bold or Bold-sized phone.

And for what a Bold is and does, OS7 is still better.

Maybe a SMALL phone not a plain flip phone, and a bigger device as a sidekick for browsing or doing business on the go, is preferable for customers who aren't finding the One-Device Must Do All concept to be the best one.

Thinking outside the box often needs someone to set an example first.

But first we want BlackBerry to do what's right for them as a company and hope they can stick around in the cellphone business to keep giving us what we want.
    web99 and George_B like this.
    03-03-16 09:53 AM

Posted via CB10
    The problems started well before BB10.
    You should read the book Losing the Signal: The Untold Story Behind the Extraordinary Rise and Spectacular Fall of Blackberry

The iPhone changed the game and BlackBerry failed to respond effectively.
    The Storm was a disaster.
    03-03-16 09:54 AM
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...... yaawwn!!

Posted via CB10
    03-03-16 09:57 AM
    Yes. Bring back the 850 devices that you could clip to your belt. The women and some men, will fling themselves at me to stroke my beard.

Posted via CB10
    Polt likes this.
    03-03-16 09:59 AM

Posted via CB10
    Nope...

BlackBerry tried to compete with iOS and Android with legacy devices and started bleeding market share. When BlackBerry 10 was introduced, BlackBerry's market share was already way below 10%.

If they would had introduced BlackBerry 10 earlier, they would had had a fighting chance. Legacy devices were just not designed to compete vs modern OS.

Remember battery pulls? Remember storage and RAM used the same memory? Remember how apps were limited in capabilities?

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    03-03-16 10:19 AM
910 1234 ...