I was looking around a retailer yesterday and it struck me that the choice on offer for the consumer is very limited - it boiled down to three brands, Apple, Samsung & Sony. This is great for the manufactures but for the retailers it must be undermining their position in the medium to long term. With choice limited surely the manufacturers will start to flex their muscles and become the dominant player making the retailers dance to their tune. Why aren't the retailers offering more choice to consumers to secure their position?

It can't be just about the kickbacks they are getting - can it!
    02-25-15 08:16 AM
    Always follow the money. Corporate retailers are all about the bottom line. The devices being pushed are most always the ones likely to make the corporation the biggest profits.
    02-25-15 08:27 AM
    I was looking around a retailer yesterday and it struck me that the choice on offer for the consumer is very limited - it boiled down to three brands, Apple, Samsung & Sony. This is great for the manufactures but for the retailers it must be undermining their position in the medium to long term. With choice limited surely the manufacturers will start to flex their muscles and become the dominant player making the retailers dance to their tune. Why aren't the retailers offering more choice to consumers to secure their position?

It can't be just about the kickbacks they are getting - can it!
    What retailers are we talking about, here? Because if it's the carriers, I'm sure they'd be more than happy to be out of the brick and mortar business altogether, if they could.
    02-25-15 09:08 AM
    funn, coz Sony is about to drop out of handset business

Posted via CB10
    02-25-15 09:11 AM
    I'm sure that retailers would love to have all sorts of manufacturer options but what they love even more is product that moves off the shelf. What they hate is product that takes up valuable display space that doesn't sell and, even worse, having customers show up and not having what they are looking for. Even worse than that is customers returning devices because it didn't turn out to be what they were looking for. I'm not sure that would be considered short-sighted. They know that people don't come to their store to browse as much anymore - they do their browsing online and through social media.
    02-25-15 09:17 AM
    I was in AT&T the other day to play with the Passport and Classic and I saw a few other brands represented. I don't think I saw any Sony devices, but besides the other two you mentioned I saw a few variants of LG, HTC, Motorola, and Nokia, as well as Amazon's Fire phone and some bulky Kyocera phone. And of course the Passport and Classic.
    02-25-15 01:17 PM
    It was in O2 in UK

Posted via CB10
    02-25-15 01:50 PM
    Well when you mentioned retailers I believe these are not telco's right? If they are not telco's then it also boil down to $$$ coz when I was a retailer in the PC business we had to pay cash for all the products we sell or display. I wouldn't want to tie up too much cash on too wide a range of products as it means a loss in opportunity cost for my company.

I would rather use the cash I have to purchase stocks I know will move fast & brings returns to the company.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-15 02:50 PM
    Well when you mentioned retailers I believe these are not telco's right? If they are not telco's then it also boil down to $$$ coz when I was a retailer in the PC business we had to pay cash for all the products we sell or display. I wouldn't want to tie up too much cash on too wide a range of products as it means a loss in opportunity cost for my company.

I would rather use the cash I have to purchase stocks I know will move fast & brings returns to the company.

Posted via CB10
    Same here, I don't get credit for the products I sell. Gotta pay upfront. Some are low margin items, so you wanna minimize risk.

And tech stuff is like lettuce, you leave it for too long, it wilts...

(Ever seen those stickers in the supermarkets: "Still fresh, reduced for quick sale $x.yy" - oh yes, Z10! )

  "Oh Classic, you are the fairest here so true. But Passport is a thousand times more powerful than you..." (no offense, Classic is a great device, when it's charged)  
    02-25-15 04:40 PM