Except lots of what goes on is NOT reporting facts but rather predicting things. The press predicted a loss of subs in net. It did not happen. The press predicted RIM would have bled tons of cash. Nope that didn't occur.
    The "press" did not predict anything of the kind. Rather they reported what analysts from Wall Street firms like Citibank in the case you cite above about the loss of subs, had said in their usual analysis prior to the issuance of earning. If you want to point a finger it should be there.

That is an important distinction.
    09-29-12 12:03 PM
    The "press" did not predict anything of the kind. Rather they reported what analysts from Wall Street firms like Citibank in the case you cite above about the loss of subs, had said in their usual analysis prior to the issuance of earning. If you want to point a finger it should be there.

That is an important distinction.

So I over-generalized yes. You get the point. Whomever analyzed.. did faulty analysis. Then others are oh so eager to spread the bad news.
    Last edited by southlander; 09-29-12 at 01:14 PM.
    09-29-12 12:33 PM
    09-29-12 01:29 PM
    Click to view quoted image

By far, my favorite kids movie to date.
    I'm glad at least someone knew what I was talking about lol.. and its def mine to! This has actually been a good discussion. A lot of good points are made. I don't necessarily consider myself a RIM fanboi but I do tend to route for the underdog and hate when one or two companies get all the credit when they are clearly far from perfect it annoys me. I also like the direction RIM is going and feel they should get at least a fair shot in the media which I think they have gotten the last little while. I hope it continues and I hope that if BB10 does good that RIM doesn't get comfortable again but keeps up their hard work that they have been doing lately.
    09-29-12 02:11 PM
    Anyways, back to the post. Rello....RIM LOST 235 milion dollars, and more market share. You realize don't you that the real metric for subscribers is marketshare? It doesn't matter if you have a net gain, if everyone else gets a greater amount - you're in trouble, and you're falling behind...
    I'm not going to pretend that losing market share is ever a good thing, but if you're still profitable, isn't it a secondary consideration?

Market share is most important in a mature market. At that point, it's become essentially a zero-sum game. We aren't anywhere near a mature market for smartphones, though, and we're probably several years away from that.

"But RIM wasn't profitable this quarter". No, they weren't. One might argue, though, that had they already finished with their restructuring, they'd probably have been close. They're doing a better job of retaining potential converts (they're holding 22% of customers trading out... not stellar, but way better than the 8% they were recording last year). The efforts to sell in developing markets are keeping RIM afloat (Heins promised in South Africa last week that they'd be among the Teir 1 countries to get BB10 in appreciation for their support).

The psychology is important here. For the past year many, many users have doubted that RIM would survive long enough to introduce their new platform. When you couple the BB10 announcements this week with the financials, you start to see a company that's starting to dig out of the hole. Suddenly, there's a somewhat better chance that RIM will still be around in 2 years, and it seems a little less risky to renew your contract with, say, a 9900 instead of moving to iPhone or Android.

It isn't huge, and RIM will likely slip even more in market share over Christmas, but it looks very much like they've tied a knot in that rope they're dangling from and they can hang on for a bit.
    09-29-12 02:14 PM
    Click to view quoted image

By far, my favorite kids movie to date.
    I'm EXTREMELY fond of Monsters Inc. Among my favorite movies, period (kids or no).

The Incredibles is pretty high on the list too.
    09-29-12 02:18 PM
    The goal is $1 Billion less per year for operational costs.
    Since I thought it was 3, unfortunately it appears to be 5K people that will quit the boat.
    Heins told they where half-way as of date, I also believe I read the cost for layoffs where around $300 millions. So, for this year, it may not impact cash at all
    (hyper roughly)
    Gains = 1 quarter of half a Billion is $125Millions X 2 Quarters = $250M
    Costs = I believe the costs will be almost supported by the end of the year (Usually, in that kind of massive layoffs, you begin with the biggest salaries), so, let's say $200 Millions.

That's how I perceive it ... but may be wrong.
    Ah Superfly my friend, I'm always amused by the way sayings get butchered by you or the translator

But you always have good posts.
    09-29-12 02:28 PM
    The psychology is important here.
    Hammer. Nail. Head.

That's it right there folks. It's really all about psychology. Whether we are talking the housing market, smartphones, or the general economy (as well as a litany of other things). Sometimes the facts and raw numbers mean very little compared to how people feel about something and how much they believe in it.

I do think that people are starting to believe RIM has a chance again, though still being cautious about it. If Heins can navigate the next two quarters in the same manner as this last one, they have a shot. And really, that's all they can ask for considering the position they are currently in.
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-29-12 03:32 PM
    I'm EXTREMELY fond of Monsters Inc. Among my favorite movies, period (kids or no).

The Incredibles is pretty high on the list too.
    people can attack my manhood but i'll just say it....WALL-E was the most lovable/adorable thing ever lol. I would consider trading my dog for a real life WALL-E lmao (kinda serious)........
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    09-29-12 04:27 PM
    I guess the "brainwashed media" found a temporary antidote? LOL.

Make good stuff, make good strides, folks will pay attention. RIM earned some good press, just as they earned bad headlines.

Apple screwed up with Maps... and it is appearing that it was precipitated by a stupif power play with Google. They got spanked for it.

No one is infallible.

Now, if RIM comes out with some steady performances and a decent product come next year, they'll pick up more good press. Of course, consumers will ultimately affect that in the long run, but hey.

We can wonder at the "shock" of the media being, uh, fair, but that takes away from what RIM is doing right to garner good press.
    09-29-12 04:41 PM
    I am just shocked at how much abuse Crackberry forum member @sk8er_tor took from all of those CNET members in the comments section below the article referenced by the OP. See: BlackBerry 10: How RIM might reel you in. Really | Mobile - CNET News

It was an excellent comment that you left @sk8er_tor! I really am shocked at the level of full on hatred for RIM and consequent $hit they threw at you. Wow!

You represented us very well and took it like a man @sk8er_tor!!
    sk8er_tor likes this.
    09-29-12 05:35 PM
    people can attack my manhood but i'll just say it....WALL-E was the most lovable/adorable thing ever lol. I would consider trading my dog for a real life WALL-E lmao (kinda serious)........
    Walle Is Def high up there on my list to!! haha.. and incredibles. lets just agree that pixar is amazing!
    Attachment 117973

I am just shocked at how much abuse Crackberry forum member @sk8er_tor took from all of those CNET members in the comments section below the article referenced by the OP. See: BlackBerry 10: How RIM might reel you in. Really | Mobile - CNET News

It was an excellent comment that you left @sk8er_tor! I really am shocked at the level of full on hatred for RIM and consequent $hit they threw at you. Wow!

I saw that to! Man he took what they threw at him and still stayed in there and told the people how it was! good for him!
    Last edited by shn; 09-30-12 at 12:01 AM.
    sk8er_tor and Rello like this.
    09-29-12 11:51 PM

Celebrate him all you want for standing up for RIM, but IMHO, the 'iSlaves' bit was pretty unwise.

It's been shown numerous times that workers in Foxconn typically earn more than the average Chinese/Taiwanese factory worker, suicide rates are lower than the national average and there are long lines of people clamouring to get in.

Finally, a whole lot of consumer electronics devices (laptops, tablets, phones) are maufactured in Asia...so even he considers their working condition to be poor, adding the 'i' prefix is just showing ignorance. Especially when the Playbook is manufactured in Taiwan....the same country where Foxconn operates.
    Last edited by texazzpete; 09-30-12 at 04:19 PM.
    09-30-12 01:33 PM
    I think rim should focus on the bussines and student customers, and let apple and google battle for the fashion custumer. I see my self using my pb in college over an ipad or any other tablet why because of the size, multitasking wich would allow a dictionary, writing, and internet app maybe even social app to run at the same time while also allowing me to switch with a simple left or rigth gesture. besides compared to google and apple I feel any bb either phone or tablet has more security when it comes to privacy. I don't trust my androind while txting that simple
    From your mouth (err, fingers) to God's ears. I am a college prof and the only Playbook I have seen on campus is mine. For the students it's all iPad all the time. 2-3 years ago smartphones were more BlackBerries than iPhones, but now 'Berries are a very distant third to iPhones and Androids.

Sigh....
    09-30-12 07:55 PM
    I'd say because we're hitting a halfway point and RIM has shown they can trim down and keep producing. 2 rough quarters down, but better than projected, with signs of BB10 on the horizon.

With all the updates they're pouring out and the sheer volume of code thats dropping even before BB10, they're really demonstrating their skills. They're a hard working bunch. Definitely 'people who do'.

I wonder how many of the layoffs were MBAs that were just taking up office space and throwing out unrealistic deadlines for the software teams they were overseeing.
    09-30-12 07:58 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD