Good evening folks.

I work for a major corporation and we are needing to get new phones. We currently have blackberry phones and want to get something that will work better for our needs.

Here are a couple of the things we would like to do with our new devices.

1. Open and edit Microsoft Office documents - mostly excel and word
    2. Access our portal which is on sharepoint and edit or work order tracking modules when a job has been completed.

At the moment we are testing a blackberry torch 9800 and an iPhone. So far, we have been unable to access our sharepoint on the blackberry. We can log in to the portal, but after that we get a white screen that won't let us do anything but log back out. We can open and edit documents using documents to go.

With the iPhone we are able to access our portal and also do what we need to do there which is a positive for the iPhone. We cannot however edit documents without a paid app which we can get so the iPhone is looking more and more attractive.

Personally, I like the Blackberry Torch over the iPhone if for no other reason because of the physical keyboard. But if we cannot figure out how to make it play nice with the Sharepoint we will most likely go with the iPhone.

Can you folks give me some feedback on how we can do what needs to be done for the Blackberry to play nice with Sharepoint or are we destined to go down the iPhone road?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    09-16-11 07:15 PM
    Thanks for the information. I have downloaded that on the 9700 I have and it's not getting me anything different...same white screen with only option being to log out. :-(
    09-16-11 10:07 PM
    09-16-11 10:12 PM
    Thank you John. I have gone to their site both on my computer and my blackberry and tried to view some of the info before just downloading the trial and you can't click on any of the links to view. :-( Will keep trying.
    09-16-11 10:22 PM
    I saw this on RIM's site, but know nothing about it. Was curious tho, as I'm in a SharePoint environment as well.

BlackBerry - Client for Microsoft SharePoint
    09-16-11 10:59 PM
    If Sharepoint and editing Office docs is essential why not consider one of the Windows Mobile phones?
    09-17-11 12:58 AM
    James...yes, we have considered that but according to the IT guy the people who have tested these phones have returned them and gone back to either a blackberry or iphone as they didn't like their performance.

I did check out the link provided by jlbdca and this looks like a great option. While there is not a price indicated it seems to be relatively new and I'm wondering if the users who purchase it right away are going to be "test dummies". After browsing the knowledge base issues, it seems some resolutions are "we are aware of the problem and working hard to resolve it" which tells me...we don't know whats wrong, so hurry up and wait while we figure it out and until then, you're out of luck. LOL

Is anyone here actually using this yet? If so, can you provide some feedback?

Thank you.
    09-17-11 09:14 AM
    I'd love to know as well, since I'm in a SharePoint environment too.
    09-18-11 01:34 AM
    If you need the screen real-estate and ability to use it get an iPhone. Turn my VPN on reboot servers, use citrix client, FX2 is the BEST rdp app and free. I can't imagine looking at share point on a tiny screen.
    09-18-11 04:00 PM
    If you need the screen real-estate and ability to use it get an iPhone.
    Guess I don't fully understand this post as Android devices have significantly larger screens than iPhone and would seem to be the preferred option if one were looking only for more screenspace.
    09-19-11 12:17 PM
    I run sharepoint 2010 and 2007 farms. We have no issues at all running either on Bolds 9700, or torch 9800. You must be using 6.0 or higher. The new 7 based devices also run sharepoint, in all its glory, with no issues. PM if you have specific questions on connections or settings. PS, we also run sharepoint on Playbooks via the Bridge.
    09-19-11 03:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD