Hey guys,

First time here, so hello to you all

[skip]
    I currently own a HTC phone and would love to keep it. But all my friends have blackberries and they chat using bbm, they're all nice but lack 5mp camera as opposed to htc.
    [/skip]

Alright my actual question is, shall I wait until a better blackberry phone is released ? I have been waiting for more than a year, and all their latest models are 3mp phones .. (yet good features).

Is there any valid news that a 5mp blackberry being released ? (other than the rumor on the net).

Kind Regards,
    Z
    02-28-10 04:02 PM
    there have been rumors of the dakota coming equipped with a 7mp camera. but that like any rumor has no truth to it until we see real live evidence of it. since all your friends have blackberries and chat using bbm, you should too. camera is not a main reason of not getting one. i never consider my phone to be a camera anyway. that is why someone created digital cameras.
    02-28-10 05:26 PM
    Thank you for your reply ...

Well the thing is, I use my phone to transfer data (pics of A4 papers) fast to my PC using bluetooth. I use those for essays I make, so I need clear images.

For example, having a tutorial sheet with a bunch of questions, and I want to post an answer with its question to a report, I want to take a photo and send via bluetooth in few secs.

I just asked my friend to do the same, the quality of the paper was really bad. It was blurred and noisy.

Since when have these rumors been around though ?
    02-28-10 05:30 PM
    Since you really use your phone for something important, I say don't get a bb. Make your friends use a chat client like AIM.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-28-10 05:50 PM
    Yeah well thats fine with me, but then I keep missing the whole bbm features. (sharing pics in an instant, creating groups and talking to each other in an instant .. staying connected .. )

Im confused. And thats why I came to the forums, I just couldnt decide on my own and thought of asking for your opinions

Would you say getting the bb to share the whole bbm experience with my friends worth it ?
    02-28-10 05:53 PM
    None of my friends have bb. My sister has bb but deleted bbm.

I don't use bbm. If you feel bbm is worth it to you and only you can decide this then you should get a bb. Good luck!

02-28-10 05:55 PM
    darkmasta9...RIM introduces a 'new' phone seemingly every six months...if you have a camera with the quality you need you could possibly download the pics to your BB for transfer to wherever?
    The BBM is cool if you have a gaggle of folks who also have BBM, otherwise it's a waste.
    To answer your single question...yes, no, maybe...like you say, rumor mill central is centered on the corner of RIM and the internet.
    02-28-10 08:08 PM
    If the camera is important... Keep waiting. By Summer there should be a model w/better camera.

02-28-10 08:54 PM
    Keep waiting. Right now if you didn't already have a BlackBerry previously or work is forcing a BlackBerry onto you I don't see a single reason for purchasing one. There are many more powerful and fun phones out there like the Nokia N900 and the Google Nexus One and those have a good camera. You need to balance out your options. Think about what you will be loosing if you switch to BlackBerry and what you will be gaining. Chances are that BBM is the only thing you will gain but you will loose a lot. What phone do you have now, what do you consider basic for a smartphone to have, and what features do you use all the time?
    02-28-10 09:33 PM
    Unless you are already a BlackBerry addict, I see no reason to hop on the train. There are several other smartphones on the market that offer much better features and a much more diverse 3rd party app selection. I "like" my BlackBerry. It's also the only brand of smartphone I ever owned so its all I really know. There is a pretty good chance this will be the last BlackBerry I own. RIM is playing catch-up to other manufacturers as far as I am concerned. I personally loathe the company Apple, so I wouldn't abandon BlackBerry for an iPhone...perhaps an Android device...

BBM isn't all that special. Use SMS to communicate with your friends and keep the better camera because it sounds like the camera is vital to you.

Whatever you decide...the best of luck to you!
    02-28-10 09:43 PM
    hmmm....a quandary. I like the ease of communication with both bbm and other blackberry set ups (the sms, the phone, the email all work together really well). If you need the camera quality with communication ability....i don't think bb is the way to go. if you want better communications with an ok camera....and can find another option for a higher resolution camera then i'd get one.

There seems to be variation in the camera quality also. a friend has an 8310 just like mine and really struggles with image quality on pics. mine is generally great, even text/handwriting on paper comes out good.
    02-28-10 10:44 PM
    Unless you are already a BlackBerry addict, I see no reason to hop on the train. There are several other smartphones on the market that offer much better features and a much more diverse 3rd party app selection. I "like" my BlackBerry. It's also the only brand of smartphone I ever owned so its all I really know. There is a pretty good chance this will be the last BlackBerry I own. RIM is playing catch-up to other manufacturers as far as I am concerned. I personally loathe the company Apple, so I wouldn't abandon BlackBerry for an iPhone...perhaps an Android device...

BBM isn't all that special. Use SMS to communicate with your friends and keep the better camera because it sounds like the camera is vital to you.

Whatever you decide...the best of luck to you!
    well said! I don't think why you should get a BB. there are wonderful smartphones out there that would serve all your needs. You can try the Nokia N97/E72 or maybe some of the HTC offerings. Btw the image quality of the N97 is great.
    03-01-10 12:24 AM
    Thank you for your replies guys !! Really appreciated

For those who asked about my current phone, I have a HTC HD2 ... Its amazing n all but lacks the bbm ...

Regarding SMS, yeah I can use that, but not as easy and fast as bbm ... You cant have a "convo" with more than one friend at a time. This is the reason im thinking of the blackberry ..

Yes, the HD2 has many more features than a blackberry. Its better than it in every form !! Dont forget the huge screen size and thin body .. But its the bbm .. the freakin blackberry messenger !

Your responses are helpful though, I can see that I should simply wait ..

christopherp : You said RIM introduces a new phone every 6 months, when was the last time RIM introduced a new phone ? Was it 4-5 months back ? Or earlier ? I believe its the new bold if im not mistaken ?

Thanks alot guys !!!
    03-01-10 08:07 AM
    Personally I wouldn't switch simply for BBM. Make them all get on google talk or another multi-platform chat program (why limit yourselves to one phone platform?), and you can all chat it up over your data line.
    03-01-10 10:52 AM
    Personally I wouldn't switch simply for BBM. Make them all get on google talk or another multi-platform chat program (why limit yourselves to one phone platform?), and you can all chat it up over your data line.
    Is there a multiplatform that supports image sharing instantly ?
    03-01-10 10:54 AM
    iPhone or Android. Getting a blackberry at this point is like going back in time. Wait until they do something significant with the OS. Until then pick up something else.
    03-01-10 02:51 PM
    iPhone or Android. Getting a blackberry at this point is like going back in time. Wait until they do something significant with the OS. Until then pick up something else.
    way to go.
    03-01-10 11:11 PM
    I think you should keep your HD2 until a few months before Window Moble 7 launches so you can get the most money out of your phone. Then either get a new Windows 7 phone or an Android.

03-01-10 11:22 PM
    I think you should keep your HD2 until a few months before Window Moble 7 launches so you can get the most money out of your phone. Then either get a new Windows 7 phone or an Android.

good idea.
    03-01-10 11:30 PM
    I think I should add the reason(s) I own a BlackBerry since I made a pretty passionate statement, earlier, about why you might not want one: I LOVE the keyboard on my Tour 9630. I had a Curve 8330 before that and I really liked the keyboard on that device as well. My personal opinion is BlackBerry devices have the best keyboards of any mobile device handsdown! It's a great device for e-mail. Having the ability to get 10 different e-mail accounts setup on your device is wonderful. If you use gmail or yahoo for email - the speed at which emails hit your inbox is mind-blowing. Those are probably the two things I appreciate most about my BlackBerry.

Again, if you really desire the ability to BBM with your friends then you'll have to live with the fact that you won't have the camera quality you are used to.

One of the things I really dislike about RIM, as a company, is how often they "update" their devices. As I said, I own a Tour 9630. I bought it the day it came out - July 12, 2009. BlackBerry will be dropping an "updated" version of the Tour very soon for CDMA carriers although they'll probably be renaming it "Bold". What's the difference between the two devices? The new CDMA Bold will have an optical trackpad instead of the famous trackball. It will also add wifi. That's it. Supposedly, they'll be throwing in a faster processor but I will believe that when I see it verified.
    03-01-10 11:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD