Apple needs to be commended for their OS optimization. They know how to make the most without the fastest, most powerful processors. If RIM can do the same (although the processors they're testing are extemely powerful), they can make a strong comeback soon enough.
    RIM did do the same (with BBOS). Now they're gonna do it again with QNX.
    02-02-12 08:36 PM
    RIM did do the same (with BBOS). Now they're gonna do it again with QNX.
    Yeah, they did a great job with BlackBerry 7! I mean that they just need to take full advantage of the powerful processors they're using for BlackBerry 10.

BlackBerry 10 is going to be amazing!
    02-02-12 08:50 PM
    Yeah, they did a great job with BlackBerry 7! I mean that they just need to take full advantage of the powerful processors they're using for BlackBerry 10.

BlackBerry 10 is going to be amazing!
    They did a really good job on the Playbook OS too! That's on a OMAP 4430 1Ghz. And it is smooth!! My mom just came back into town with the PB I bought her. And that's pretty smooth and responsive with its specs.
    Last edited by mithrazor; 02-03-12 at 01:07 AM.
    02-02-12 11:06 PM
    The only reason Samsung are going 4core is this stupid Android spec race, they hurried up to bring 2core and now they have to move on to 4 before 2 was even properly optimised.

I can't imagine what will mobile phone will ever need quad core for, my laptop is fine with 2.
    02-03-12 07:18 AM
    Samsung promised a full day of battery life in all 2012 products, I wonder what size battery they are going to put if the device is quad core.
    02-03-12 07:23 AM
    If RIM goes with the TI OMAP 5430 over the Qualcomm S4, they could technically say that they are using a quad core chip. The 5430 has two Cortex A15 cores, and two Cortex M4 cores for low processing power/job. It only kicks in the A15 cores when needed.

OMAP5's will be available the second half of 2012. This chip may be able to provide RIM the efficiency that they are looking for as they could have the dual M4 cores handles the basic phone/BBM/e-mail functions and conserve power, and kick in the A15's for media, games, video etc.

We are simply going to have to wait and see what RIM uses in the BB10 devices. It will probably either be the S4 or the OMAP5430. I don't think that CPU details other than 1.5 GHz, which both of these chips will run at has been released.
    phoreoneone and DPSydBerry like this.
    02-03-12 09:05 AM
    Samsung promised a full day of battery life in all 2012 products, I wonder what size battery they are going to put if the device is quad core.
    The only way I can get a full day's worth of battery on my Skyrocket is if I let it sit on a desk and don't touch it.
    But.....I knew that going in. So I've got a spare battery coming in the mail.
    I have my BB as my workhorse at my side at all times. For that, I also have a spare battery.
    02-03-12 09:11 AM
    Not only will BB10 have competition from the SGSIII released by Summer 2012, but, I heard on Bloomberg this morning the Iphone 5 is now expected to debut at WWDC in June, most likely means an August release as usual. Thats not "news" but it sounds like folks are getting more sure of the fact. So if all the speculation is right both major competitors will be in the marketplace at best concurrently and at worst months before BB10. The next great phone is already here?
    02-03-12 09:24 AM
    I'm excited to see how far and fast new technology will take us with these phones and tablets. I can't see any real advantage to a quad core phone right now vs a dual core; unless the speculation about battery life is valid. I'll hold off and wait to see what BB10 offers before I upgrade next. I think these specs are for bragging rights/marketing ploys and not performance enhancement. I saw a youtube vid comparing the playbook to the quad core transformer prime and the TP was choppy and disappointing while the PB was smooth as butter. Specs be dammed, for now I'm happy with my laughable 1.2 ghz single core Bold 9900.
    02-03-12 09:29 AM
    We are simply going to have to wait and see what RIM uses in the BB10 devices. It will probably either be the S4 or the OMAP5430.
    Meanwhile, Apple will be introducing their A6 chip in iPad 3 supposedly in April. This piece was written in August, but it's pretty detailed about what Apple is going to do. The next iPhone will still have the dual core A5 chip which is rumored to be launching in June:

A report in the Wall Street Journal last week, citing unnamed sources, said Apple hopes to launch the iPad 3 early next year.

The A6 should bring more performance to Apple devices while preserving battery life. Many of the improvements will come from TSMC's 28-nanometer manufacturing process, Gwennap said. The process will shrink the circuitry compared to the A5, which is manufactured on a 40-nanometer process, making the A6 smaller and faster.
    02-03-12 09:56 AM
    Meanwhile, Apple will be introducing their A6 chip in iPad 3 supposedly in April. This piece was written in August, but it's pretty detailed about what Apple is going to do. The next iPhone will still have the dual core A5 chip which is rumored to be launching in June:
    I don't think any A15, 28nm chips will be available, especially in quantity, by April. If the A6 uses this architecture, then they are in a similar boat as RIM. If they do release in April expect major shortages for quite some time. RIM is waiting on the same A15 28nm chip technology (different vendor) for the BB10 phones. Of course if Apple doesn't get the A6 or an updated iPad out until summer it will be OK. RIM isn't held to the same standard though. Since I have a BB7 device and a Playbook I want them to get a great BB10 device out, not a compromise. Even though I was pissed when they said late 2012, now that I've read up on the newer CPU architectures I think it was the right call.
    Last edited by lnichols; 02-03-12 at 03:29 PM.
    02-03-12 03:27 PM
    Ive been saying this for awhile so i might as well say it some more :P
    RIM/BBs have always been behind in the spec. race and always will be. Android being open source and making all those different companys making the phone will ALWAYS be the top of the spec market due to shear volume. Apple, IMO, has the ability to make the top spec phone at any given moment but they hold a little back with each device just so that they can jump that much when they release something new. RIM has never needed to be in the spec race so they don't know how to, they are just know getting in the race. i say wait for BB15 then they will finally be in the same area, spec wise, as the competition at the time.

but then you can also argue that its not the specs on a phone that sell it its the operation system, its the phone its self. IMO yes they need to be in the spec race if they want to make ground in the US market but for everyone else out there they, RIM, doesn't need to be a spec powerhouse.
    02-03-12 08:50 PM
    If RIM goes with the TI OMAP 5430 over the Qualcomm S4, they could technically say that they are using a quad core chip. The 5430 has two Cortex A15 cores, and two Cortex M4 cores for low processing power/job. It only kicks in the A15 cores when needed.

Click to view quoted image

OMAP5's will be available the second half of 2012. This chip may be able to provide RIM the efficiency that they are looking for as they could have the dual M4 cores handles the basic phone/BBM/e-mail functions and conserve power, and kick in the A15's for media, games, video etc.

We are simply going to have to wait and see what RIM uses in the BB10 devices. It will probably either be the S4 or the OMAP5430. I don't think that CPU details other than 1.5 GHz, which both of these chips will run at has been released.
    I'm pretty sure it's not going to be a OMAP mainly because I remember TI saying at CES that OMAP5 isn't going to be ready to ship (within consumer products) until early 2013.
    02-03-12 08:58 PM
    Good for samsung. I wonder what battery life will be like. Does android take advantage of multiple cores or is just to say we have quad core?
    Its a real shame most of the people i know who look for a new phone dont look for or even understand these things. everyone goes for the design most dont even know about the hardware.
    02-04-12 12:17 PM
    I am starting to gain hope again for the performance of the new blackberry line-up.
    02-05-12 10:50 PM
    A dual core chip allows you to record 1080p at 30fps. That is really the most cpu-intensive process phones will ever need to do.

There is no other game or app available for phones that even come close to fully utilizing a dual core processor.

There is absolutely no reason any phone needs 4 cores. Not for the next few years anyways. People don't seem to realize that having extra cores doesn't even make a difference unless the software is written to take advantage of them. Dual core is more than enough unless people start using their phones for video decoding, 3d modelling, rendering, etc. But I can't see how any of those things would be practical on a phone anyways.

Quad core phones are a marketing gimmick meant to appeal to the "more cores must mean more better" crowd.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-06-12 12:40 PM
    Ive been saying this for awhile so i might as well say it some more :P
    RIM/BBs have always been behind in the spec. race and always will be. Android being open source and making all those different companys making the phone will ALWAYS be the top of the spec market due to shear volume. Apple, IMO, has the ability to make the top spec phone at any given moment but they hold a little back with each device just so that they can jump that much when they release something new. RIM has never needed to be in the spec race so they don't know how to, they are just know getting in the race. i say wait for BB15 then they will finally be in the same area, spec wise, as the competition at the time.

but then you can also argue that its not the specs on a phone that sell it its the operation system, its the phone its self. IMO yes they need to be in the spec race if they want to make ground in the US market but for everyone else out there they, RIM, doesn't need to be a spec powerhouse.
    RIM would be in a lot better shape today if the STORM had just a little more memory, so in a way they really SHOULD have been in the spec race.

But I don't really believe that RIM has to go all out and try to top the HTC and SAMSUNG of the world, just as long as the devices have the power they need to accomplish the tasks given them I think that is all most consumers want. Wither that is Browsing, Emailing or playing Angry Birds.
    02-06-12 01:04 PM
    A dual core chip allows you to record 1080p at 30fps. That is really the most cpu-intensive process phones will ever need to do.

There is no other game or app available for phones that even come close to fully utilizing a dual core processor.

There is absolutely no reason any phone needs 4 cores. Not for the next few years anyways. People don't seem to realize that having extra cores doesn't even make a difference unless the software is written to take advantage of them. Dual core is more than enough unless people start using their phones for video decoding, 3d modelling, rendering, etc. But I can't see how any of those things would be practical on a phone anyways.

Quad core phones are a marketing gimmick meant to appeal to the "more cores must mean more better" crowd.
    So RIM stating that they NEED dual core to run QNX is a mis-statement? Because i'm sure there would be many people with OS7 devices who'd be interested in running QNX and would gladly give up 1080p recording at 30fps for it.
    02-06-12 03:24 PM
    Aslong as the stupid clock mode thing is gone... I'm happy... My playbook is a good device hardware wise and never crashed on me..so if the Rumoured 1.5ghz is true .. Then that's way more than enough... No app requires that much power.. Thing is most of these smartphonrs are around the same price... Then when people compare hardware they get the better one because you sort of get more for the same price as bb even though u Don't need it
    02-06-12 03:54 PM
    I moved from the iphone 4 to a bb 9900.. Its more then fast enough for what i do and best of all i can use it as a phone.

That being said I'm currently using a Samsung galaxy s 2 for the past few weeks as a demo unit from our mobile carrier.. I must say this phone is Awesome and smokes the iphone 4 and 4s and makes my 9900 look and feel as old as ios

A quad core processor may seem silly to most users such as a few of you in this thread, but stop and think about what applications or features may come down the pipe BECAUSE the phone has this much power. Its not so much the rumored specs of the galaxy s 3 but what apps are going to be developed to take advantage of it.

Stop looking at the present and start thinking about the possibilities of the future. Thinking in the now is what keeps BB behind..

Samsung is going to be hard to catch.. In a high level round table meeting with the VP of engineering for our mobile provider it was discussed that samsung is able engineer a new phone and bring it into market within 6 months.. The other companies are taking 12 to 18 months to accomplish the same task.
    Rickroller likes this.
    02-06-12 04:05 PM
    sure there aren't any apps that can CURRENTLY use the true power of a quad-core processor but if almost every phone ends up with a quad-core processor then theres bound to be apps that can use all 4.

but personally, i dont care what type of processor is in the new blackberries AS LONG AS i dont see that dreadful clock again
    02-06-12 11:09 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD