I'm having trouble finding a SIM card which supports Blackberry data for Italy. My former source for pre-paid SIMs in Italy was ItalyCellPhone.com, as they handled the required registration of the card (anti-crime provisions) for you and rep'd TIM and Vodaphone. However, none of their cards have Blackberry support.

Does anyone have a source for a pre-paid SIM I can purchase in advance for Blackberry push and calling?
    06-03-09 06:49 PM
    yes, it's true you have to make a anti-crime registration to get a SIM card in ITALY. Italian' Sim cards support Blackberry, all the italian operators support Blackberry service, so if youa re able to get a SIM card I will assure it works..but the problem is..how will you get SIM CARD before coming to ITALY, in reason of anti-crime mesures you have to register with your passport to the operator and you won't able to do it until you arrive in ITALY. I'm sorry
    06-03-09 07:28 PM
    Ah, an Italian to give me a real answer. Grazie mille!

There are companies which facilitate purchasing the SIM in advance with your passport number/copy. The one I've used before (on a card which is now inactive) supports TIM and Vodaphone, but said the local cards don't support any data, and their general Europe cards don't support Blackberry GPRS.

So it appears either he is mistaken, or perhaps there are SIMs without data?

If that is the case, any idea where in Rome on a Saturday I might be able to register/purchase an appropriate card? I realize you're in Venezia, but I won't arrive there until about a week into my trip, doing no good. Can a foreign resident purchase at a tabacchi? Or will I have to go to a company-owned store and are they open on Saturdays?
    06-03-09 08:02 PM
    Okay, next question then.

I've read a few threads here and elsewhere about the difficulty in getting a BB to work properly with an international SIM.

Th reason I'm purchasing a pre-paid SIM is for ability of contacts to call me with a local number, but also so I can have data without horrendous roaming fees on TMo. However, I do need to get my BB email. I can (and will) have my TMo service with unlimited BB email, but would rather not have to switch SIMs frequently.

What settings do you need to change (and what information from the service provider, i.e, TIM or Wind, do I need to get) in order to reconfigure for a new SIM? I'm presuming the settings affected are universal, not country-specific, so I'll just have to get the right info from the specific carrier.
    06-04-09 10:16 PM
    One other option is to use one of your older (unlocked) phones with a pre-paid card in Italy. If you don't have one, the regular used phones are very cheap, almost free at Ebay or Craiglist. That means you would have to carry two phones. It is a very a common practice by frequent travelers.
    06-04-09 11:42 PM
    I've thought about doing that, but I'm doing everything I can to simplify what I carry. The BB is replacing a PDA without phone + laptop + cell phone combo. I'd rather not carry two cellular devices if not absolutely necessary.
    06-05-09 12:07 AM
    I've thought about doing that, but I'm doing everything I can to simplify what I carry. The BB is replacing a PDA without phone + laptop + cell phone combo. I'd rather not carry two cellular devices if not absolutely necessary.
    Saveonroaming.net

They require a scanned copy of your passport. I got a SIM for $81 euro and it gave me 450MB of data and 150 minutes in a 30 day period. It runs on Italy's WiND network with has 3G. For an extra $8 euro you can get the 1GB data package. Email Blochin, he replies ASAP and is a nice guy based out of Germany.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-07-09 05:04 PM
    Saveonroaming.net

They require a scanned copy of your passport. I got a SIM for $81 euro and it gave me 450MB of data and 150 minutes in a 30 day period. It runs on Italy's WiND network with has 3G. For an extra $8 euro you can get the 1GB data package. Email Blochin, he replies ASAP and is a nice guy based out of Germany.
    Thank you! I've contacted him for information.
    07-07-09 07:08 PM
    Thank you! I've contacted him for information.
    Hi, there is also a new offer for Blackberry in Italy with Wind: 12 � for a flat data rate. All the traffic generated by the Blackberry is included. If you use it as a modem, the data traffic will be charged separately.

APN: blackberry.net
    To activate, you need to send the SMS black si to the 4033
    To deactivate, black no to the 4033.

It worked from the UK, therefore I suppose it should work from the U.S. too.

Got my card too from Saveonroaming, but I activated the Mega No Limit package, because I need my w.m.d as a modem too ;-)
    07-09-09 05:48 AM
    Hi, there is also a new offer for Blackberry in Italy with Wind: 12 � for a flat data rate. All the traffic generated by the Blackberry is included. If you use it as a modem, the data traffic will be charged separately.

APN: blackberry.net
    To activate, you need to send the SMS black si to the 4033
    To deactivate, black no to the 4033.

It worked from the UK, therefore I suppose it should work from the U.S. too.

Got my card too from Saveonroaming, but I activated the Mega No Limit package, because I need my w.m.d as a modem too ;-)
    Just purchased my card from saveonroaming, and there was an offer form Wind that, if the card and BB option was activated by July 26, the unlimited BB data was free for 3 months. Had to jump on that! My card has been activated and is on its way to me as we speak. They even got me a really good number. If it all works as promised, I'm going to be very pleased!
    07-09-09 12:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD