If the goal is only 4 million units on a break even basis. I think this goal is achievable. The PKB must somehow appeal to Classic owners and Passport owners. Give them what they want. Track pad and a removable battery plus a larger screen.
    I'm just not sure there's 4 million people willing to buy a new BB Pkb device every year.
    06-10-16 10:00 AM
    If security is not enough for Enterprise, then BlackBerry devices are done.

BlackBerry's purchasing power will NEVER allow them to wow with specs. I see this as the only way to keep the price low enough. The Priv proved that even Enterprise has a price ceiling.
    Security is important, but they are getting it on other devices, we can't say that every enterprise today with a non BlackBerry smartphone is vulnerable.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    06-10-16 10:01 AM
    There is no trick. To get better battery performance, you need either a bigger battery (heavier, bulkier device), or a dumbed-down device (less of a processor, less resolution screen).

It's a trade off most people seem unwilling to make. Imagine the reviews for a heavy Android device with an 801 processor and a 720p screen.
    not true, sorry but I have the Samsung s7 edge and have more apps and use it more frequently and getting better life than the priv. with the latest update things haven't gotten better neither, still get battery drain.

06-10-16 10:08 AM
    Security is important, but they are getting it on other devices, we can't say that every enterprise today with a non BlackBerry smartphone is vulnerable.

That may be true, but BlackBerry has no other angle to compete on.

They have to hope enterprise want a more secure Android like BlackBerry or Knox.

I still think devices are just a complement to their main business, and while nice to have, are no longer ultimately necessary.
    06-10-16 10:08 AM
    not true, sorry but I have the Samsung s7 edge and have more apps and use it more frequently and getting better life than the priv. with the latest update things haven't gotten better neither, still get battery drain.

I get 12-16 hours of heavy use with about 6 hours+ of screen on time each day with the Priv. Results vary wildly on all devices, of all brands. There are a lot of threads on Android forums about crappy S7 battery life too. I chalk those up to user variability also.
    06-10-16 10:11 AM
    I'm just not sure there's 4 million people willing to buy a new BB Pkb device every year.
    Includes the sale of all touch phone.
    06-10-16 10:30 AM
    Includes the sale of all touch phone.
    Ahhh, true. Still...
    06-10-16 10:32 AM
    Ahhh, true. Still...
    That's what we're going to find out within a year or so.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-16 11:12 AM
    There is no trick. To get better battery performance, you need either a bigger battery (heavier, bulkier device), or a dumbed-down device (less of a processor, less resolution screen).

It's a trade off most people seem unwilling to make. Imagine the reviews for a heavy Android device with an 801 processor and a 720p screen.
    With current technologies I agree, but I would like to see BlackBerry investing in newer battery technologies to try and be the first to take advantage of said tech.
    06-10-16 12:29 PM
    With current technologies I agree, but I would like to see BlackBerry investing in newer battery technologies to try and be the first to take advantage of said tech.
    Hard to be a tech innovator, when you don't spend much of anything on R&D.

Too be very honest I doubt what BlackBerry is spending on R&D has anything to do with hardware anymore. Even the Priv and it's slider design... we saw those over two years ago along with the Passport concepts.
    06-10-16 01:58 PM
    Hard to be a tech innovator, when you don't spend much of anything on R&D.

Too be very honest I doubt what BlackBerry is spending on R&D has anything to do with hardware anymore. Even the Priv and it's slider design... we saw those over two years ago along with the Passport concepts.
    I have to give you that. They really aren't putting the money into R&D that they should.. mind you they might not be able to (I haven't looked into their current financial stats at all)

One can dream though.
    06-10-16 02:40 PM
    I have to give you that. They really aren't putting the money into R&D that they should.. mind you they might not be able to (I haven't looked into their current financial stats at all)

One can dream though.
    Nothing to look at, hardware has been losing money for last three years.... Chen has cut BlackBerry spending where he could and the first thing was hardware. BB10 development was cut way back, he moved to outsourcing hardware production and has extending that further to the point I don't really belive there are that many BlackBerry employees other than management that are involved in hardware. And he is still cutting, trying to find a point where hardware make money even as sales decline.

Company wide BlackBerry spent about $100 million on R&D last quarter... I bet most of that is software related.

In comparison HTC a small hardware company compared to Apple and Samsung... they spent nearly $750 Million on R&D last quarter. Apple they spent $2.4 Billion in one of their recent quarters... In a year's time they spend more on R&D than BlackBerry is worth. Just no way they can compete and come up with something "new" anymore.
    06-10-16 03:07 PM
    BlackBerry's patents? How much do they worth?

BlackBerry Passport via CB10

Edit: are they even churning stuff out that's commercially viable?
    06-10-16 03:25 PM
    the hub? I don't miss it at all.
    But do you miss your messages without the flashing LED?

BB, Still the One
    06-10-16 04:03 PM
    But do you miss your messages without the flashing LED?

BB, Still the One
    I don't at all. Not that it's not a nice system, but there are alternatives. Wasn't that one of the reasons for the name Crackberry?
    06-10-16 04:36 PM
    Would you be happy if BlackBerry selected an existing model from a competitor in the market and replaced the logo with a BlackBerry one?

Because that's basically all you're going to get ... ?
    Nice troll. But hey, lets go with it. OK. that's pretty much all ANY Android phone is. A Samsung is a HTC is a Moto. As they ooze their way toward vanilla Android, the differentials get smaller and smaller. Good camera? Nope, can't find a bad one. Performance? The all use the same processors, clocked the same. The only difference are cosmetics. So, unless BB comes out with an all-touch BB10, they are just another drop in the ocean. So, if that's all they do, then no. On the other hand, I want a Priv. After my experience with the Bold (again) I am nearly 100% certain that keyboard will disppoint. I have the Classic and compared to the Bold the keyboard sucks. And the Priv KB looks a lot like the Classic. Doesn't stop me wanting one though.

The all touch Z30 was and is a pretty good phone. So it's doable. But I don't see a point.
    06-10-16 08:11 PM
    If it makes business sense why not. I would quicker buy blackberry all touch with security features and regular updates that one with PKB.
    06-12-16 01:18 PM
67 123