I was told elsewhere on here that other versions of Android have similar features. I'm also dubious about the 'security hardened' Linux kernel, sounds like SELinux which is definitely not something BlackBerry created.
    It's GRSecurity.

https://grsecurity.net
    06-09-16 11:07 AM
    A hardened Linux kernel can be important. Mission critical servers use the same Linux kernel, if not custom built.

It's a space that eventually mobile phones would need to get into. BB's decision on this is not bad at all.

BlackBerry Passport via CB10
    06-09-16 11:56 AM
    Just went through a Telus store. The PRIV was demoted to the no name Android shelf. At least the model half works ( PKB not working). I wonder how long the PRIV will be sold. Maybe Telus will carry the Alcatel 4 instead of the BlackBerry version. I do think that the Rome PKB model might be a minor success.
    06-09-16 12:37 PM
    Nice try but all that document says is, in effect, 'We run a version of Android that's got security features in it.'

Too vague.

Do other companies not use a 'more secure' version of Android too? Is it the same one that BlackBerry uses?

Or are BlackBerry claiming to have injected proprietary code into open-source Android, that nobody else - even Google - can see or use?
    Too vague for what? The consumer market? Absolutely. But what about the mid-range corporate fleet phone market? BlackBerry's last bet is that there's a demand there for a more secure Android. It remains to be seen whether they're right. We all know consumers don't care, and won't be buying these devices in numbers big enough to mention.

DTek is, in fact, proprietary code. And the hardware-level security features are also proprietary. The Hub and other PIM features for Android, while not yet on par with BB10 (let alone BBOS!), are still arguably a cut above most other Android offerings. I've been using Hub, Calendar, Device Search, and Contacts on my OnePlus One ever since Cobalt made them available, after having tried a fair number of email and other apps. They work well and will no doubt get better. I may be interested in a mid-range BlackBerry Android. Like a lot of people, I'm over paying flagship prices. But in all honesty, my opinions are irrelevant. The ones who matter now are the people deciding on what devices to issue to employees in large corporations, where security is more than just a word to throw around. What little reputation BlackBerry has left rests in the minds of those people.

I don't predict that this approach will succeed. I have no idea. But the consumer-driven approach has already failed. The fact that it might have been avoided, if it is a fact, doesn't change that.
    anon(9353145) and BB-JAM215 like this.
    06-09-16 01:19 PM
    I would like to see some evidence of the consumer / enterprise sales split. I expect that enterprise sales are lower than consumer sales. One thing is for sure, I imagine that enterprise wants an all touch.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    06-09-16 02:18 PM
    I would like to see some evidence of the consumer / enterprise sales split. I expect that enterprise sales are lower than consumer sales. One thing is for sure, I imagine that enterprise wants an all touch.
    If enterprise sales are lower than consumer, then be prepared for them to exit hardware. I personally doubt that, but based on other users' input, I think you're right that all touch is probably more demanded than pkb.
    06-09-16 03:16 PM
    Enterprise don't care if it's touch or PKB. They just want something that works for the company and its employees; whatever it may mean.

While of course not forgetting the security requirements any organisation requires.

If BlackBerry can kick it off with Android and yet get the same level of BB10 prowess, then it's on the right track. Sad thing is, it's stuck on Google. But that doesn't mean they won't spin off once they get the scale; after all, it's still a Linux-based platform. Android is just a 'desktop environment' so to speak...

06-09-16 03:46 PM
    Enterprise don't care if it's touch or PKB. They just want something that works for the company and its employees; whatever it may mean.

While of course not forgetting the security requirements any organisation requires.

If BlackBerry can kick it off with Android and yet get the same level of BB10 prowess, then it's on the right track. Sad thing is, it's stuck on Google. But that doesn't mean they won't spin off once they get the scale; after all, it's still a Linux-based platform. Android is just a 'desktop environment' so to speak...

That is your opinion . 99 percent of phones are all touch. No reason to expect that enterprise wants a PKB. Still there are a lot of current BlackBerry owners (consumers) who want a updated PKB device.
    06-09-16 04:23 PM
    If it had a good hub, blend, link and some other native BlackBerry like apps on it. You be I would

Posted via CB10
    Bbnivende likes this.
    06-09-16 07:18 PM
    That is your opinion . 99 percent of phones are all touch. No reason to expect that enterprise wants a PKB. Still there are a lot of current BlackBerry owners (consumers) who want a updated PKB device.
    I agree that the all touch device is what 99% of the market wants and even at the enterprise sector. What's the bigger concern is an already saturated market and a company with a tarnished brand that is loosing whatever carrier support they had here in the USA.

I can't see wasting precious financial resources you don't have to develop a product no one wants to buy. I say put the money into their security software where it would be better spent. Just my two cents worth.
    06-09-16 07:34 PM
    I agree that the all touch device is what 99% of the market wants and even at the enterprise sector. What's the bigger concern is an already saturated market and a company with a tarnished brand that is loosing whatever carrier support they had here in the USA.

I can't see wasting precious financial resources you don't have to develop a product no one wants to buy. I say put the money into their security software where it would be better spent. Just my two cents worth.
    If the goal is only 4 million units on a break even basis. I think this goal is achievable. The PKB must somehow appeal to Classic owners and Passport owners. Give them what they want. Track pad and a removable battery plus a larger screen.
    06-09-16 08:00 PM
    Would you be happy if BlackBerry selected an existing model from a competitor in the market and replaced the logo with a BlackBerry one?

Because that's basically all you're going to get ... ?
    I remember with fond memories, the days when the word "Android" was flamed till it was a crispy residue. LOL It's all insults and bashing till someone puts a Marshmallow in a Blackberry.
    donnation and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    06-09-16 10:38 PM
    If the goal is only 4 million units on a break even basis. I think this goal is achievable.
    They had a hard time breaking 600k. You need to wake up and smell what The Rock is cookin!!!!
    bakron1 likes this.
    06-09-16 10:40 PM
    Learn to read. "Enterprise don't care if its touch or PKB".
    06-10-16 12:45 AM
    Zenfone 3 BlackBerry edition. I'd be all over that.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2876
    06-10-16 01:03 AM
    They had a hard time breaking 600k. You need to wake up and smell what The Rock is cookin!!!!
    Goal might be 1 mill of Rome and Hamburg together per quarter. 4 mill per year of Android devices. Not sure how long the PRIV will last.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-16 01:45 AM
    Learn to read. "Enterprise don't care if its touch or PKB".
    Doesn't care.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-16 01:47 AM
    Doesn't care.

Posted via CB10
    Am amazed by your intelligence.

06-10-16 01:58 AM
    Would you be happy if BlackBerry selected an existing model from a competitor in the market and replaced the logo with a BlackBerry one?

Because that's basically all you're going to get ... ?
    Would have taken this about a year and a half ago. Too late now. On to a full Android that has a MUCH better camera, is faster, can be customized and oh yeah? the hub? I don't miss it at all.
    06-10-16 06:37 AM
    Am amazed by your intelligence.

Companies do care about device reliability employee acceptance and price. John Chen says that Enterprise wants a secure mid range all touch at $400 ( before fleet discounts).

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 06-10-16 at 09:15 AM.
    06-10-16 08:57 AM
    why would they take an existing device and just change the label, doesn't make sense. the hub and security aspect are not enough of a differentiator even to the enterprise, if that segment even exists to a size that will keep bb in the hardware industry.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    06-10-16 09:11 AM
    why would they take an existing device and just change the label, doesn't make sense. the hub and security aspect are not enough of a differentiator even to the enterprise, if that segment even exists to a size that will keep bb in the hardware industry.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    If security is not enough for Enterprise, then BlackBerry devices are done.

BlackBerry's purchasing power will NEVER allow them to wow with specs. I see this as the only way to keep the price low enough. The Priv proved that even Enterprise has a price ceiling.
    06-10-16 09:17 AM
    I would love an all-touch BB-Android for sure. Importantly for me, BBRY could catch the market with:
    Competitive hardware specs
    BATTERY LIFE BATTERY LIFE BATTERY LIFE

Imagine if BlackBerry became the bar when it came to long-lasting batteries on Android phones? Might be a winner for them.
    06-10-16 09:34 AM
    I would love an all-touch BB-Android for sure. Importantly for me, BBRY could catch the market with:
    Competitive hardware specs
    BATTERY LIFE BATTERY LIFE BATTERY LIFE

Imagine if BlackBerry became the bar when it came to long-lasting batteries on Android phones? Might be a winner for them.
    Would require too much research and development. A removable battery is more feasible. Here is a sales feature. Provide a spare battery in the box.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 06-10-16 at 10:29 AM.
    fragment137 likes this.
    06-10-16 09:41 AM

There is no trick. To get better battery performance, you need either a bigger battery (heavier, bulkier device), or a dumbed-down device (less of a processor, less resolution screen).

It's a trade off most people seem unwilling to make. Imagine the reviews for a heavy Android device with an 801 processor and a 720p screen.
    TgeekB likes this.
    06-10-16 09:47 AM
67 123