Would you be happy if BlackBerry selected an existing model from a competitor in the market and replaced the logo with a BlackBerry one?

Because that's basically all you're going to get ... ?
    enrod87 likes this.
    06-08-16 01:44 PM
    Well even if that was true, and BlackBerry hardware was not more durable, I would be happy to support such an iconic company and not be exactly like everyone else. Besides, the logo is cool.

BB, Still the One
    j21jam6 and Carl Estes like this.
    06-08-16 01:54 PM
    Well, that plus the BlackBerry-hardened MM OS and the optimised BlackBerry apps.

The hardware of the Idol 4 seems to have some positive reviews. This is the only way I see that BlackBerry can get the price down enough to make it remotely viable. They would never hit a low enough price point with a limited, custom production run.
    06-08-16 01:54 PM
    NO.... but then I'm not in the market for a midgrade phone that is probably going to be overpriced.
    06-08-16 02:00 PM
    Personally, I would just like a reasonably responsive phone with the same speed, simplicity and efficiency as my Z10. It really all comes down to the functionality of the hub and file management together with the VKB quality of BB10.

My requirements for the hardware platform are pretty easy to meet:
    1) Good reception
    2) USB OtG
    3) SFD slot
    4) Current standard for decent processor and memory
    5) Decent camera
    6) FM radio a nice extra
    7) Hardware Root of Trust

I have no interest in a high end phone. For me, it's just a tool for getting work done when I'm away from my desk.

Posted via CB10
    anon(9353145) likes this.
    06-08-16 02:05 PM
    Well, that plus the BlackBerry-hardened MM OS and the optimised BlackBerry apps.
    Have BlackBerry ever released any evidence that proves their version of Android is hardened, and DTEK doesn't count. I mean what does it have that I couldn't get on an Android phone with something like McAfee security installed?
    06-08-16 03:39 PM
    Have BlackBerry ever released any evidence that proves their version of Android is hardened, and DTEK doesn't count. I mean what does it have that I couldn't get on an Android phone with something like McAfee security installed?
    - BlackBerry's Hardware Root of Trust, a unique manufacturing process that injects cryptographic keys into the device hardware, providing a secure foundation for the entire platform.

- Verified Boot and Secure Bootchain, which uses the embedded keys to verify every layer of the device from hardware to OS to applications in order to make sure they haven�t been tampered with.

- A hardened Linux kernel with numerous patches and configuration changes to improve security.

You can say what you want about DTEK, but I think it's very useful - particularly with MM.

Picture password is very effective too, backed up by a PIN that protects the boot sequence.

PLUS monthly security updates that rival Nexus.
    Last edited by conite; 06-08-16 at 04:00 PM.
    06-08-16 03:47 PM
    Available since around launch,

https://github.com/blackberry/android-linux-kernel
    06-08-16 04:01 PM
    It hasn't been rooted yet, right..? :-)

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    06-08-16 05:06 PM
    Would you be happy if BlackBerry selected an existing model from a competitor in the market and replaced the logo with a BlackBerry one?

Not necessarily. Each manufacturer has their own strengths to differentiate themselves from the competition. They kinda have to in this market. BlackBerry would just have to come up with a feature set (IMHO the hub wouldn't be enough) to get the public's attention.
    jaydee5799 and Blacklatino like this.
    06-08-16 05:13 PM
    There is a lot of pretty Android hardware I'd like BB to get their hands on and put their BB Android in, ZenFone 3 Deluxe with Hub et tal powered by the Snapdragon 823 would be amazing.

Serious question for those who want all-touch 'BlackBerry' Android-pb2hbix.jpg
    06-08-16 05:31 PM
    - BlackBerry's Hardware Root of Trust, a unique manufacturing process that injects cryptographic keys into the device hardware, providing a secure foundation for the entire platform.

- Verified Boot and Secure Bootchain, which uses the embedded keys to verify every layer of the device from hardware to OS to applications in order to make sure they haven’t been tampered with.

- A hardened Linux kernel with numerous patches and configuration changes to improve security.

You can say what you want about DTEK, but I think it's very useful - particularly with MM.

Picture password is very effective too, backed up by a PIN that protects the boot sequence.

PLUS monthly security updates that rival Nexus.

I was told elsewhere on here that other versions of Android have similar features. I'm also dubious about the 'security hardened' Linux kernel, sounds like SELinux which is definitely not something BlackBerry created.
    06-08-16 05:54 PM
    Not necessarily. Each manufacturer has their own strengths to differentiate themselves from the competition. They kinda have to in this market. BlackBerry would just have to come up with a feature set (IMHO the hub wouldn't be enough) to get the public's attention.
    BlackBerry tried hardware differentiation for the consumer market, and that didn't succeed.

Now they need to sell the security touted in post #7 to enterprise/BYOD at a reasonable price (which they can't do themselves with their lack of buying power).
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    06-08-16 05:54 PM
    I was told elsewhere on here that other versions of Android have similar features. I'm also dubious about the 'security hardened' Linux kernel, sounds like SELinux which is definitely not something BlackBerry created.
    Android N has Verified Boot which is like Root of Trust so yes there is going to be less of a gap between BB and other vendors going forward. BB will have to rely on its reputation and history of standing by its products as far as security updates and such are concerned.
    06-08-16 06:11 PM
    The two key selling points that BB needs are:

Excellent camera

Fast processor

If their next phone is lacking, well.... it will rightly fall to the bottom of the Android pile.
    06-08-16 07:26 PM
    Now they need to sell the security touted in post #7 to enterprise/BYOD at a reasonable price (which they can't do themselves with their lack of buying power).
    I thought they still had almost 3 billion in cash even after buying Good, AtHoc etc.

BB, Still the One
    06-08-16 07:29 PM
    I thought they still had almost 3 billion in cash even after buying Good, AtHoc etc.

BB, Still the One
    Buying power means getting things at a low cost due to high volume orders.
    06-08-16 08:19 PM

There's one million Android device... There's no nead for one more from BlackBerry. They nead to select the good one, inject BlackBerry security and apps for couple extra buck and i'll be happy... but as always, I'll be back to my z30 one week after buying an other Android 😄😄😄

Posted via CB10
    06-08-16 08:27 PM
    https://help.blackberry.com/en/secur...y-Guide-en.pdf For everyone that keeps asking but not understanding.
    06-08-16 09:49 PM
    No, they have about $2B, and they owe Fairfax $1.25B plus interest for their loan.

You can't keep spending hundreds of millions of dollars of savings, and make no profit (read: they continue to have quarterly losses) and maintain the amount of savings. Numbers just don't work that way.

I think people simply don't grasp the financial situation BB is in. They see a "big-to-them" number of "cash & equivalents" and don't bother to factor in debts or on-going losses. It's even crazier when they opine that BB should "make BB10 a loss leader" or "make devices no matter what they cost" and then "sell them cheap so people will buy them." BB is simply in no position to do any of that.
    BB-JAM215 and Ronindan like this.
    06-08-16 10:23 PM
    No, they have about $2B, and they owe Fairfax $1.25B plus interest for their loan.

You can't keep spending hundreds of millions of dollars of savings, and make no profit (read: they continue to have quarterly losses) and maintain the amount of savings. Numbers just don't work that way.

I think people simply don't grasp the financial situation BB is in. They see a "big-to-them" number of "cash & equivalents" and don't bother to factor in debts or on-going losses. It's even crazier when they opine that BB should "make BB10 a loss leader" or "make devices no matter what they cost" and then "sell them cheap so people will buy them." BB is simply in no position to do any of that.
    So... BlackBerry can't make any money by pricing their devices high because they won't sell. And, if they price them low and do sell more devices, they still can't make money.

They are screwed either way.

Oh, and that first post sure was mighty passive-aggressive.

Posted via CB10
    Jerry A likes this.
    06-08-16 10:38 PM

You keep bringing BB10 as a loss leader instead of acknowledging that android is a much bigger failure than any BB10 device for BlackBerry .

It made absolutely zero sense two years ago and it continues to make zero sense, as Priv sales are proving, for BlackBerry to sell an android device.
    If they don't want to put a real effort to market and develop their own OS and phone, they should just get out of this market with dignity.
    Unfortunately, that is already too late.
    06-09-16 12:33 AM
    https://help.blackberry.com/en/secur...y-Guide-en.pdf For everyone that keeps asking but not understanding.
    Nice try but all that document says is, in effect, 'We run a version of Android that's got security features in it.'

Too vague.

Do other companies not use a 'more secure' version of Android too? Is it the same one that BlackBerry uses?

Or are BlackBerry claiming to have injected proprietary code into open-source Android, that nobody else - even Google - can see or use?
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    06-09-16 05:48 AM
    Personally, I would just like a reasonably responsive phone with the same speed, simplicity and efficiency as my Z10. It really all comes down to the functionality of the hub and file management together with the VKB quality of BB10.

My requirements for the hardware platform are pretty easy to meet:
    1) Good reception
    2) USB OtG
    3) SFD slot
    4) Current standard for decent processor and memory
    5) Decent camera
    6) FM radio a nice extra
    7) Hardware Root of Trust

I have no interest in a high end phone. For me, it's just a tool for getting work done when I'm away from my desk.

Posted via CB10
    You forgot the battery. It would be nice to have a large removable battery.

I would definitely buy a BlackBerry with a Nexus as second choice.
    idssteve likes this.
    06-09-16 09:22 AM
    I'll trade all the bells and whistles for a good physical keyboard and decent browser.
    06-09-16 11:01 AM
67 123