Sorry, I don't really know where to put this thread...

I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can get my hands on some code that will allow me to create a web page for sending SMS messages to my (or anyone elses, for that matter) phone.

I'm mainly needing this my small business website so I can stay in touch with my clientele.

Google seems to only hand me results with websites that offer this service, nothing about how to actually implement something like it on my own website.

TIA
    05-30-09 08:38 PM
    most carriers allow you to send SMS from their website to other customers. so if your friend Cravin Moorehead has AT&T, you can go on AT&T's website and send him an SMS through that.
    05-30-09 11:11 PM
    You can also "email" an sms. You just have to know your clients carrier and the carrier's domain. I.e. - verizon is @vtext.com with the phone number berfore the @ with the aera code and no spaes or hyphens, just the 10 digits. You can find the carries emails easily.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-30-09 11:15 PM
    I use Google Voice as it allows me send SMS to all the contacts on my phone.
    05-31-09 01:28 AM
    most carriers allow you to send SMS from their website to other customers. so if your friend Cravin Moorehead has AT&T, you can go on AT&T's website and send him an SMS through that.

(This message was too short)
    05-31-09 05:13 AM
    lol i was gonna see how long it took for someone to get it.
    05-31-09 05:40 AM
    Well, I'm not wanting to initiate the contact.
    I'm wanting the client to be able to do so via a form on my website. I really dislike the idea of them leaving my website and sending them to my carriers website to send the message...

So if I was to create a form that sends an "email" to mynumber@vtext.com, it would come through as an SMS?

I would just have to limit the characters in the text field to 160 via HTML? or can I receive texts of any length?
    05-31-09 08:26 AM
    Sending it via the SMS gateway as you have listed will work, but you will be limited to 160 characters on Verzion.

But if you use mynumber@vzwpix.com you can get up to 1000 characters. It will count as an MMS and not as an SMS.
    05-31-09 08:53 AM
    OK, now I'm a little confused.

So if I just create my form, use mynumber@vtext.com and then DO NOT set a character limit, the message will automatically get trimmed by Big Red?

Using your method, seems like the way to go if this is the case.

A text is a text is a text, right?
    I mean, SMS, MMS, etc, it all counts as "a text"? (toward my unlimited texting)...
    05-31-09 08:59 AM
    We recently added a SMS tool to our web site.

SMS | MobiMadness

Is that what you have in mind? If so just go to Web Scripts & Programs | GallagherWebsiteDesign.com and buy it there.
    05-31-09 09:13 AM
    SMS is always truncated to 160 characters due to technology limitations - carriers or apps that appear to offer "unlimited" characters simpy split the message into 160-char segments and send multiple messages.

@vtext.com is Verizon - every carrier has its own, so if you are sending to different carriers you may need a drop-down lookup list of carriers to "decode" the address.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-31-09 09:13 AM
    @ Daniel.Black:
    Yes, something like that.
    I'm not needing several of the form fields however.

I'm NOT sending to different carriers...
    I'm wanting something for MY CLIENTS to send a message to ME (and me ONLY).

So, I'm on Big Red, I only need the one "email" address...

@jbeachy:

So an MMS would get cut apart as well?
    05-31-09 09:25 AM
    telusmobility.com for Telus customers...
    05-31-09 09:46 AM
    MMS on Verzion BlackBerry supports up to 1000 characters. It won't be truncated.

SMS on Verzion BlackBerry WILL be truncated to 160 characters. You will NOT get the rest of the message.

Use MMS or email if you want longer messages. And you need to check with Verizon to make sure that MMS is covered under the plan that you have. It likely is, but you should check. MMS is not text. It's data.
    05-31-09 10:11 AM
    Sending it via the SMS gateway as you have listed will work, but you will be limited to 160 characters on Verzion.

But if you use mynumber@vzwpix.com you can get up to 1000 characters. It will count as an MMS and not as an SMS.
    What if they respond? does that count as sms or email for me?
    05-31-09 01:53 PM
    I'm assuming that you want to put a button on your personal website (or something similar) that says "Click to Send me a Text", if so the easiest is to put a "mail to" link (make sure you code it in such a way that the spambot harvesters wont find it) and include the e-mail address of your phone. This is quick and easy. It isn't optimal because you are depending on your customer's email system to get the message to you, but it does work.
    05-31-09 02:03 PM
    Well, I'm not wanting to initiate the contact.
    I'm wanting the client to be able to do so via a form on my website. I really dislike the idea of them leaving my website and sending them to my carriers website to send the message...

So if I was to create a form that sends an "email" to mynumber@vtext.com, it would come through as an SMS?

I would just have to limit the characters in the text field to 160 via HTML? or can I receive texts of any length?
    yes but you would have to provide the @carrier address or have your visitors input that information
    05-31-09 05:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD