Have been using a Curve 8330 for three years, taken thousands of pics and emailed hundreds using the standard 1X camera setting (no magnification), and usually they send in 5 to 7 minutes. This morning, for perhaps the first time, I took a picture using 5X magnification, and it sent in less than a minute. I repeated the process, thinking the first was a fluke, but again, the picture was sent in a minute.

But when viewing the 5X pics on a big screen, they are very grainy, although my 2 mp camera takes rather sharp pics at the 1X setting. Can anyone explain to me how the magnification affects pictures? It obviously changes the pixel count, but I don't understand how?

And, for those who have newer Blackberries with a 5 mp or so camera, how would you say the time lapse for emailing pics compares with a BB with a 2 mp camera? I am thinking about trading up, but because I send a lot of email pics, I am wondering about the time lapse issue. Thanks much for your input.
    06-23-11 07:30 AM
    It makes the photo smaller as well. I've used the zoom lens on my BB before at concerts and when viewed on a computer, the size of the photo is much, much smaller than if I didn't use the zoom lens.
    06-23-11 01:27 PM
    It makes the photo smaller as well. I've used the zoom lens on my BB before at concerts and when viewed on a computer, the size of the photo is much, much smaller than if I didn't use the zoom lens.
    Yes, I noticed that myself, thank you for bringing that into the thread. I am hoping someone can tell us how the camera works that way. Zooming really degrades the picture quality on a bigger screen, but I don't know how.
    06-23-11 03:54 PM
    Basically, the "zoom" is a digital zoom and not an optical zoom. It is the equivalent of just cropping the full size picture to the part that you have "zoomed" to. Thus the picture is much small and poor quality.
    Wirelessdude likes this.
    06-23-11 03:58 PM
    Basically, the "zoom" is a digital zoom and not an optical zoom. It is the equivalent of just cropping the full size picture to the part that you have "zoomed" to. Thus the picture is much small and poor quality.
    +1
    That's right, the digital zoom it's not like an optical zoom that is actually moves the lanes physically, an optical zoom is great for making same photos but with zooming. and when i say "making the same photos" i mean that the photo will be in the same size/pixels/ISO...

any way, as MAMA say - using the "optical" zoom is the same as resizing a picture... if you want good photos you should use a digital camera... 2MP camera can't make good photos, using the zoom will only make them worst.

Even the 8mp without an optical zoom that can be found on some mobile devices, can be a good camera but not good for using ZOOM because editing the photo will bring pretty much the same result.
    Wirelessdude likes this.
    06-23-11 04:51 PM
    THANK YOU...that explains my query perfectly...and now I understand why it sends faster. My digicams have zoom lenses and I understand how they work but was unsure how the one in a BB does. Thanks again.
    06-25-11 03:16 PM
    +1
    That's right, the digital zoom it's not like an optical zoom that is actually moves the lanes physically, an optical zoom is great for making same photos but with zooming. and when i say "making the same photos" i mean that the photo will be in the same size/pixels/ISO...

any way, as MAMA say - using the "optical" zoom is the same as resizing a picture... if you want good photos you should use a digital camera... 2MP camera can't make good photos, using the zoom will only make them worst.

Even the 8mp without an optical zoom that can be found on some mobile devices, can be a good camera but not good for using ZOOM because editing the photo will bring pretty much the same result.
    Thank you also...I would prefer to carry around my Panasonic Lumix around all the time, but it cannot send pics with the wireless convenience of a BB. I'd say 98% of the ones I take with my BB are using the 1X setting.
    06-25-11 03:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD