On the conference call last night they actually said that the sell thru for devices was actually about 10.5 million versus the 7.8 million shipped. They also said the sell thru for PlayBook was also higher than the 260000 shipped. That's quite a difference. Inventories must be going down. I suspect retailers are being very conservative as to how much stock they want to keep.

Also if I'm understanding their accounting the real loss was 192 million versus the 518 million that some are reporting. That doesn't seem like a really big deal but I'm concerned what all this doom and gloom media coverage will do for future sales?
    06-29-12 12:24 PM
    That's a very good point about sell-through. That was a positive note. Good catch.
    06-29-12 12:28 PM
    I think everyone's view of RIM won't really change from now till BB10 launch. They won't attract new customers in NA (unless a drastic price cut like PlayBook to the 9900). Most sales will come from low end markets with current customers possibly upgrading to OS7
    06-29-12 12:30 PM
    I'm really surprised that wasn't picked up or discussed along with inventories. It's such a big difference. I thought for sure Chris would say something about it in his analysis but the delay in bb10 seems to have overshadowed it.
    06-29-12 12:41 PM
    Sell through is good news. I didn't catch this in the statement
    06-29-12 12:52 PM
    Even though it doesn't determine profit due to how they account I think the actual sales of devices is a far more important metric than shipped devices!
    06-29-12 01:06 PM
    Well at least there was a Little good news.
    06-29-12 07:39 PM
    Yes, I am also afraid the media is burying RIM before its dead and average people are staying away from BB before they even try it.

I think maybe they should change the name like IBM turned into Lenovo and totally rebrand, since the media have done so much damage to the BB name it will take a miracle for anyone to pick up a phone and try it... even BB10.

I am worried, but I am sticking with BB until the end!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    06-29-12 08:53 PM
    Talk about sifting through a fresh pile of dog sh1t to find the one kernel of goodness.

Tim
    06-29-12 08:57 PM
    Yes, I am also afraid the media is burying RIM before its dead and average people are staying away from BB before they even try it.

I think maybe they should change the name like IBM turned into Lenovo and totally rebrand, since the media have done so much damage to the BB name it will take a miracle for anyone to pick up a phone and try it... even BB10.

Be afraid..very afraid...

Wait a minute. This bad news came from RIM directly. RUN!!

Tim
    06-29-12 08:59 PM

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    IBM "turned into Lenovo" because IBM sold its PC business to Lenovo a Chinese PC manufacturer. The sell through is sort of positive as is the subscriber base. However, growth in the subscriber base has slowed to 1% or so which is not positive and the mobile phone companies are cutting inventory which is also not positive.
    06-29-12 08:59 PM
    So this is a term I have never heard of before. What is sell through?
    06-29-12 09:13 PM
    Good pickup OP.

Every sell through device is another BB subscriber.

I wonder what their subscriber numbers are at now. They didn't say but they did say churn was high so I wonder if it dropped at all.
    06-29-12 09:30 PM
    I mentioned the sell through numbers in another thread, noting that Heins also mentioned that the North American market has bottomed out. This is extremely important considering BB doesn't exactly market their products on a retail basis. RIM accomplished this through the upgrading of some of the 80% of BB contracted phone users who run BB 6 or less.

They are maintaining head count with existing customers so that's good news.

What no one talks about is Enterprise, here RIM grew Services by 12% in Q4 2012 but lost the exact same amount in revenues for this past quarter, Q1 2013. The biggest part of that 12% drop is related to the 14th week enjoyed in Q4 versus this latest quarter. The other 6% drop was from lower tier phone sales. The point is, Enterprise is not subject to the bleeding that handset sales have taken.

And so, when Heins says that they can stabilize NA sales, this is a very good sign. I should add that RIM delivered on their word to up sell existing BB Enterprise.

Finally, what Heins failed to talk about is the number of stores that have opened up in Asia and the Indo region, in addition, Playbook sold out in China in Q2. India is strong, Europe is doing very well and everything outside NA is rockin', NA is stable now and fortunately, RIM has the inventory to carry this refresh through to 2013.

Heins could have done a much better job delivering the sell through message and the sales build around the world, all of which occurs in Q2.
    BBisthefuture likes this.
    06-29-12 10:37 PM
    I definitely agree that they could have done a much better job of reinforcing some of the positives yesterday instead of allowing all to dwell on the negatives. When you sell almost 3 million more devices than you ship that's a big deal!!!

As you say he did mention that North America had stabilized and that is really important. Unfortunately at the same time he also mentioned they are still experiencing a lot of churn which seemed to sort of take the wind out that piece of good news. What do you think he means by churn? I'm concerned the way the media seems to be dictating only the negative news to the public that many may not consider BlackBerry for future device purchases and this may destabilize the North American market again and maybe others as well.

I wish he had mentioned all the retail stores they are opening around the world. I think that may really help them with their distribution and visibility in the future. I wonder why he didn't bring it up? I never heard that news about China, can you give me any more details?
    06-29-12 11:10 PM
    Talk about sifting through a fresh pile of dog sh1t to find the one kernel of goodness.

Tim
    2) Cash horde grew by $100 million
    3) FCF positive. Someone called into hte CC saying it was $150M or so even though cash from ops minus cap ex was $550m
    06-30-12 12:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD