So I'm going to be buying a passport. Anybody have an opinion on carriers? From what I see T-Mobile costs a lot less, but the reception is worse. Is that about right?
    Congrats on your decision! I don't think you'll regret it. The Passport is a mean machine and it just works so well. Very nice blend of form and function. And whoever said Google Maps requires you to jump through hoops - I hardly would agree.
    I would suggest researching how to sideload Snap. It's pretty simple to do and once you have that, it's very simple to get the odd Android app that you might want.

As far as carriers go, I'm also in Canada so I don't know much about the US carriers but I think you're doing it right by purchasing your device outright. You won't need to sign a contract with any of the carriers so you are free to switch whenever you like - and most Canadian carriers offer discounted plans if you own your device.
    11-21-15 11:46 AM
    Hey Donnation

This is my opinion and he asked our opinions, if yours is different than by all means voice it.

But thanks for getting a laugh at my post, I'm glad you are so easily amused.

Ps, the mods deleted my post for telling you off, just because it's deleted, don't think I don't mean it anymore

Posted via CB10
    That really hurts.
    11-21-15 12:04 PM
    Sell yourself on it. Like anything else. Find out what you need and does it serve the purpose. Communication, few distractions and security. I do not have a Priv. However, I'm rooting for BB10 to stick around along with the new "Powered by Andriod" platform.

I play games on my galaxy tablet. I DJ with my Mac Book Pro (turntables and controller). I handle all of my communications (personal and business) with my BlackBerry Z10.

Hoping BlackBerry releases at least one more all touch BB10 device!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    farmwersteve likes this.
    11-21-15 12:20 PM
    That really hurts.
    Not trying to hurt you, but it seems like you try to do that to others.

I hope you get better soon

Posted via CB10
    11-21-15 12:32 PM
    Now boys.... play nice.

I actually use my phones for web browsing almost exclusively. If it wasn't for getting guitar notes, I would rarely turn on my computer. Z30 screen too small for that, but I suppose that I could hook it up to TV via hdmi. Passport screen would be better I suppose but probably still not big enough. So there you go. My phones have largely replaced my computer.

Posted via CB10
    Prem WatsApp and farmwersteve like this.
    11-21-15 01:31 PM
    Google maps will work on BlackBerry 10 phones with either a $5 Be Maps Pro app, or a Google Map for Android.

One thing about BlackBerry 10 is that there are other physical keyboard phones that are a lot cheaper than the Passport. A used Passport will still for for over 500 dollars on here.

You could pick up a used Q5 or a Q10 for around $100. And you might be surprised with how nice they are.

Posted via CB10
    11-21-15 02:31 PM
    Get it if you want. You know better than anyone what you like most.

Posted via CB10
    11-21-15 03:53 PM
    To me from my experiences with Blackberrys you definetly made the right decision. Congrats.
    Ya keep watching YouTube and movies on laptop to give your Passport a rest once and awhile, cause it's gonna be hard to put it down.

Proud Berry user..Z10..Z30..Classic..Leap..Passport..Priv
    What next? Oh ya Bought the new Gold Macbook just to backup my Berrys.

BB4VER....
    11-22-15 02:56 AM
    What I'll use it for: I can't bring a phone in to work, and at home I have a desktop, so I really just want a smartphone to check my email and browse the internet when I'm not home. I also want GPS directions integrated with something like Google maps (I'm guessing that's pretty much a given on any smartphone). As far as apps and things, I can't use them now so I don't really know how useful they could be. I think you can get pretty much any Android app running on the passport if you are willing to go code monkey on it, but I imagine the priv does it a lot easier. It would be nice to actually have access to the apps everyone else uses, just in case I ever want to do social things on my smartphone.
    BlackBerry Leap (virtual keyboard only; BlackBerry OS 10), BlackBerry Passport (physical keyboard, virtual keyboard?; Blackberry OS 10), BlackBerry Priv (physical keyboard, virtual keyboard; BlackBerry Android). Any of these smartphones will serve you well.
    11-22-15 09:25 AM
    Hah, 'crab bucket.' I like it.
    CB?

;-P

�   AC/CB - back in black or highway to mobile h*ll? ;-P   �
    11-22-15 10:54 PM
    Once you go Black. You never go back

Posted via CB10
    11-23-15 08:40 AM
    Nine of the modern touch smart phones are as rugged as the older phones when it comes to falls. If you really need a phone you can drop, I would suggest NOT getting any oh one with a glass screen. All of them will break unless carefully protected in a impact-resistent case. I remember that the old BBOS Blackberries regularly survived being dropped out of the windows of cars at highway speed, scraped to death but still running!

Posted via CB10
    11-23-15 09:40 AM
    I have a Passport and I really like it, I don't play games often and I have installed very few apps. I use the browser for everything I can and for me I seldom wish I had an app instead. I do have some Android apps. I am satisfied with BlackBerry Maps for GPS navigation and finding places to eat etc.

The phone is big, so big I find myself leaving it behind a lot. If I go outside to do yard work or walk the dogs I often just leave the phone behind. If I get out of the car to go into a store, I just leave it in the car. These habits just formed without deliberate intent and I only notice because I always had small-ish phones and I don't consider this to be a bad thing, just a personal experience. I often wish I had a Q5 for certain days and the Passport for others but I am not going to pay for two lines and swapping SIM cards is too burdensome.

As big as the Passport screen is, it is not a square world so most videos you watch and pictures you look at will be bigger on the Priv. The same holds true for any Android Apps you install, they usually work but they are designed for rectangles.

BB10 is a really nice OS, uncluttered simplicity and very stable and reliable. If you do a lot of things where you want to be efficient, I don't know if you could do better than BB10. Android seems so full of distractions, but I am sure if I owned one I could customize it to meet my needs where BB10 just flows nearly perfect.

BlackBerry did an amazing job engineering the Priv. I took one around the store and compared it to other phones and it seems to me to have the largest screen and the smallest body ratio if that makes sense and they managed to tuck in a keyboard and large battery, it is a marvel. Compare it to the iPhone 6+ and the screens are nearly identical in size but the Priv is considerably smaller in the hand.

I love my Passport, I wish it was smaller at times, I also could learn to like Android a lot more if I had a Priv.

Posted via CB10
    11-23-15 09:54 AM
    I moved from Verizon to T-Mobile specifically to use my Passport phones.

The radio in the Passport has excellent capability and I have never had any issues with T-Mobile with my Passports.

Signal issues do exist on T-Mobile with my Q10 and Z10. However WiFi calling helps compensate for this weakness.

BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition driven by 10.3.2.2789 on T-Mobile
    11-23-15 08:51 PM
    I moved from Verizon to T-Mobile specifically to use my Passport phones.

The radio in the Passport has excellent capability and I have never had any issues with T-Mobile with my Passports.

Signal issues do exist on T-Mobile with my Q10 and Z10. However WiFi calling helps compensate for this weakness.

BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition driven by 10.3.2.2789 on T-Mobile
    Glad to see SE Passport has been improved... Original Passport's antenna is less capable than my Q10's...

:-)

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    11-24-15 01:48 AM
    Glad to see SE Passport has been improved... Original Passport's antenna is less capable than my Q10's...

•   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   •
    Not on my OG. It's WAY better than my Q10.
    11-24-15 11:32 AM
    Not on my OG. It's WAY better than my Q10.
    Great stuff... maybe you've got a different model Q10. I've got the Aussie one, the -3...

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    11-24-15 05:47 PM
    My suggestion is to buy the Passport used from Swappa, and use it on Cricket. You won't be stuck with a contract, and the service uses AT&T's network and seems to be very good (including data).
    11-24-15 06:04 PM
    Whelp I'm typing this on a Passport right now and everything seems to be going well. Kind of a shock getting used to a smartphone but so far it is pretty cool. I even get to keep my old number!

Posted via CB10
    11-25-15 11:11 AM
    Buy a Priv, nuff said....

Posted via CB10
    11-25-15 11:29 AM
    I look forward to hearing after a week, two and after a month.

 Classic 10.3.2.2789
    11-25-15 11:35 AM
    Whelp I'm typing this on a Passport right now and everything seems to be going well. Kind of a shock getting used to a smartphone but so far it is pretty cool. I even get to keep my old number!

Posted via CB10
    Glad to hear. Let us know if you need any help

Posted via CB10
    11-27-15 09:13 PM
    Coming from a passport owner, I think for your needs, it would be the better choice. I have the google playstore on mine. Apps are honestly overrated, as I can pretty well do anything via the browser if I can't run the corresponding app (snapchat aside since I don't use it). If however, you're worried about apps in the future, the Priv will be the better choice for you. In all honesty, that's really all it has over the passport, and it'll be better to view multimedia content on due to the 16:9 format.

Either way, good luck, and keep us updated which device you go with and what your thoughts on it is.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed

Get a BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition!

Posted via CB10
    11-27-15 10:40 PM
    OP:

Any BlackBerry 10 phone with a physical keyboard is in line with what you want. I'd avoid the Priv because of the expense, and the fact that it is full Android and you certainly are not an "App-Happy" user. BB10 is a perfect stepping stone for you to jump into the Smartphone market. It's a simple OS that can be as powerful as you need as you do more with it. If you just want Text, email and Phone, BB10 does that with perfection. There are also basic apps that will probably handle your needs if you ever get into social media on your phone with Facebook and Twitter. The list of things you can do with BB10 goes on, but it's also a good basic smartphone that a beginner can jump into and feel right at home.

My first BB10 was a Q5. It's a great phone that is highly underrated. I like typing on it better than the Q10. If you want a more luxury look the Q10 is not much more expensive any longer. I honestly feel the Passport is way more phone than you need. But if you want to buy a phone that is a super beast, the Passport will certainly do. I only buy unlocked phones off contract and the Passport is over $400 still. A Q5 unlocked is around $145.00 on Amazon, the Q10 is around $165.

Let us know what you settle one. I hope it works out for you, and I'm sure it will.
    11-27-15 10:54 PM
49 12