Following my previous thread http://forums.crackberry.com/general...-users-870226/ ,
    It's seems like Chen reads my thread & the cheap BB10 devices will come soon to get back formers BlackBerry users in Indonesia and some other emerging markets.

My wish that there will be $200-250 BlackBerry devices since Foxconn currently build their manufacture plant in Indonesia.
    Last edited by chrizrun30; 12-20-13 at 06:55 AM.
    Corbu likes this.
    12-20-13 06:41 AM
    Read the press release below,

BlackBerry Announces Five-Year Strategic Partnership With Foxconn

Companies Strike Joint Development and Manufacturing Agreement

Indonesia Targeted for First Joint Product in Early 2014
    WATERLOO, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - Dec. 20, 2013) - BlackBerry Limited (NASDAQ:BBRY)(TSX:BB), a global leader in wireless innovation, announced today that it has entered into a five-year strategic partnership with Foxconn, the world's largest manufacturer of electronic products and components. The initial focus of the partnership will be a smartphone for Indonesia and other fast-growing markets targeting early 2014.

"This partnership demonstrates BlackBerry's commitment to the device market for the long-term and our determination to remain the innovation leader in secure end-to-end mobile solutions," said John Chen, Executive Chair and CEO of BlackBerry. "Partnering with Foxconn allows BlackBerry to focus on what we do best - iconic design, world-class security, software development and enterprise mobility management - while simultaneously addressing fast-growing markets leveraging Foxconn's scale and efficiency that will allow us to compete more effectively."

Under the partnership, Foxconn will manufacture products for BlackBerry at facilities in Indonesia and Mexico. BlackBerry will own all of its intellectual property and perform product assurance on devices through the Foxconn partnership, as it does currently with all third-party manufacturers.

"BlackBerry is an iconic brand with great technology and a loyal international fan base," said Terry Gou, Founder and Chairman, Foxconn. "We are pleased to be working with BlackBerry as it positions itself for future growth and we look forward to a successful strategic partnership in which Foxconn will jointly develop and manufacture new BlackBerry devices in both Indonesia and Mexico for new and existing markets."

BlackBerry will focus heavily, via internal development, on market segments where its continuous innovations in secure hardware, software and services remain critical and integral to enterprise and government customers. BlackBerry will also drive adoption of its multi-platform BBM (BlackBerry Messenger), deliver real-time, reliable and secure messaging through its Network Operations Center (NOC), and grow its enterprise mobility and mobile device management business through on-premise and cloud-based solutions for cross-platform devices as well as its own.
    R Field likes this.
    12-20-13 06:44 AM
    I like that. Hopefully this partnership allows BlackBerry to focus on features better. Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    chrizrun30 likes this.
    12-20-13 06:51 AM
    I like that. Hopefully this partnership allows BlackBerry to focus on features better. Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    And the leaks coming out!
    Device codename 'Jakarta' will released in Indonesia maybe on March-April,
    Fast move from Chen
    12-20-13 08:17 AM
    Awesome!

Posted via CB10
    12-20-13 01:34 PM
    And the leaks coming out!
    Device codename 'Jakarta' will released in Indonesia maybe on March-April,
    Fast move from Chen
    Leaks won't be from Indonesia. The software side is still 100% Waterloo.

Though, hardware leaks will be eventually from Indonesia.
    12-20-13 01:35 PM
    Indonesia has various laws where manufacturing needs to be built by Indonesian owners.

Posted via CB10
    12-20-13 03:30 PM
    Indonesia has various laws where manufacturing needs to be built by Indonesian owners.

Regardless, Indonesia is the single largest market in the world for BlackBerry.

The fact that they want to put resources into that market is no surprise to a reasonable person. I'm just amazed that it got as little attention as it did under the previous management.

Yes, they had lines waiting to buy Z10s, but I would imagine that overall, there are not that many people in Indonesia who can spend that kind of money on a phone.

Especially since like many developing countries, their service fees are low but they don't typically have huge carrier device subsidies like the carriers in rich countries push. Therefore a Z10 costs something like $600+ (outright) there, which is a ridiculous amount of money for an average Indonesian citizen.
    12-20-13 04:13 PM

Posted via CB10
    That's right.
    But since foxconn arleady had permission by the government to build manufacture plant, I think it's not a problem anymore.
    12-20-13 06:56 PM
    Regardless, Indonesia is the single largest market in the world for BlackBerry.

The fact that they want to put resources into that market is no surprise to a reasonable person. I'm just amazed that it got as little attention as it did under the previous management.

Yes, they had lines waiting to buy Z10s, but I would imagine that overall, there are not that many people in Indonesia who can spend that kind of money on a phone.

Especially since like many developing countries, their service fees are low but they don't typically have huge carrier device subsidies like the carriers in rich countries push. Therefore a Z10 costs something like $600+ (outright) there, which is a ridiculous amount of money for an average Indonesian citizen.
    That's why BlackBerry needs to produce a cheap device to cover those who still can't buy a Z10 a their first release.
    To be honest I also buy Z10 when it slashed to $480.

At the moment, it still around $400-450 & Q5 about $350-390.
    12-20-13 10:57 PM
    Leaks won't be from Indonesia. The software side is still 100% Waterloo.

Though, hardware leaks will be eventually from Indonesia.
    I mean the leaks for 'Jakarta'
    12-20-13 10:59 PM
    That's why BlackBerry needs to produce a cheap device to cover those who still can't buy a Z10 a their first release.
    To be honest I also buy Z10 when it slashed to $480.

At the moment, it still around $400-450 & Q5 about $350-390.

So how well would you say the Q5 is selling there? I thought it was a little high-priced from the beginning.

Mr. Chen seems to know what he is doing.
    12-20-13 11:22 PM
    So how well would you say the Q5 is selling there? I thought it was a little high-priced from the beginning.

Mr. Chen seems to know what he is doing.
    Not as good as Z10 at the first release, the reason is Q5 has been advertised poorly & the price around $400-429 when released, considered high priced for the legacy users that wishing Q5 as a cheap device.

Since it comes later & cheap android devices already everywhere, Q5 doesn't leave any good impression for them.
    12-21-13 09:40 AM
    Read the press release below,

BlackBerry Announces Five-Year Strategic Partnership With Foxconn

Companies Strike Joint Development and Manufacturing Agreement

Indonesia Targeted for First Joint Product in Early 2014
    WATERLOO, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - Dec. 20, 2013) - BlackBerry Limited (NASDAQ:BBRY)(TSX:BB), a global leader in wireless innovation, announced today that it has entered into a five-year strategic partnership with Foxconn, the world's largest manufacturer of electronic products and components. The initial focus of the partnership will be a smartphone for Indonesia and other fast-growing markets targeting early 2014.

"This partnership demonstrates BlackBerry's commitment to the device market for the long-term and our determination to remain the innovation leader in secure end-to-end mobile solutions," said John Chen, Executive Chair and CEO of BlackBerry. "Partnering with Foxconn allows BlackBerry to focus on what we do best - iconic design, world-class security, software development and enterprise mobility management - while simultaneously addressing fast-growing markets leveraging Foxconn's scale and efficiency that will allow us to compete more effectively."

Under the partnership, Foxconn will manufacture products for BlackBerry at facilities in Indonesia and Mexico. BlackBerry will own all of its intellectual property and perform product assurance on devices through the Foxconn partnership, as it does currently with all third-party manufacturers.

"BlackBerry is an iconic brand with great technology and a loyal international fan base," said Terry Gou, Founder and Chairman, Foxconn. "We are pleased to be working with BlackBerry as it positions itself for future growth and we look forward to a successful strategic partnership in which Foxconn will jointly develop and manufacture new BlackBerry devices in both Indonesia and Mexico for new and existing markets."

BlackBerry will focus heavily, via internal development, on market segments where its continuous innovations in secure hardware, software and services remain critical and integral to enterprise and government customers. BlackBerry will also drive adoption of its multi-platform BBM (BlackBerry Messenger), deliver real-time, reliable and secure messaging through its Network Operations Center (NOC), and grow its enterprise mobility and mobile device management business through on-premise and cloud-based solutions for cross-platform devices as well as its own.
    "Deliver real-time, reliable and secure messaging through its Network Operatios Centre"

This sounds an aweful lot like BBOS to me since the NOC has verry little to do with BB10.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-13 09:57 AM
    "Deliver real-time, reliable and secure messaging through its Network Operatios Centre"

This sounds an aweful lot like BBOS to me since the NOC has verry little to do with BB10.

Posted via CB10
    Honestly I don't really care about it.
    As long as the cheap device targeted the emerging market & can convince the legacy users to use BlackBerry with BB10, it will be fine.
    12-21-13 10:10 AM
    Not as good as Z10 at the first release, the reason is Q5 has been advertised poorly & the price around $400-429 when released, considered high priced for the legacy users that wishing Q5 as a cheap device.

Since it comes later & cheap android devices already everywhere, Q5 doesn't leave any good impression for them.

Yes, this was my general impression too. Thanks.
    chrizrun30 likes this.
    12-21-13 10:11 AM
    ALL BBM and PIN messages go through the BlackBerry NOC, as well as all BES traffic.
    Not really reliable, real time or secure anymore though. The security came from the BIS connection.

PS im pretty sure not all BES traffic goes through the NOC.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-13 10:13 AM
    Dude, I have corrected you on that stuff a ton of times.

Yes, all BES traffic goes through the NOC. That's the whole POINT of BES, it's been a key selling point for years now, long before BB10 came along.

And BIS is NOT HIGHLY SECURE. I can't believe you haven't already seen this, but I will repost it here again:

PIN encryption keys - Security Note - BlackBerry Messenger - 5.0, 6.0, 7.0
    FAQ: BlackBerry Messenger & PIN Messages are NOT Encrypted - BerryReview
    Is BlackBerry messaging secure? - DAWN.COM

And YES BB10 is generally quite reliable and YES, it's "real time" (way better in most cases than POP over BIS), and YES it's secure.

(Originally posted 2013-05-04)

Quoting from RIM/BlackBerry documentation (link below)

https://web.archive.org/web/20110709...001-4.0-US.pdf

Quoting BlackBerry KnowledgeBase article 3652 (link below)

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB03652
    Wrong my friend, bes10 data does not go through the NOC, it has been explained many times in these forums.

http://forums.crackberry.com/bes-10-...s-10-a-851539/

As for bbm I never claimed its "highly secure" but I know it's more secure on the bis network as opposed to direct on the carrier network.
    12-21-13 11:01 AM
    Since a commenter roped me into a verbose off-topic discussion here which threatened to derail this thread, I am revoking my posts on that and simply linking the place where I explain my answer:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ml#post9741993
    12-21-13 08:06 PM