I received an email from Fresh Patents Weekly of new patented technology from companies and took these screenshots of patents from Research in Motion Ltd. (turns out they haven't gotten the memo)

It seems BlackBerry has their own "TYPO" type of patent-img_00000742.png

It seems BlackBerry has their own "TYPO" type of patent-img_00000743.png

Attachment 253280

As it turns out BlackBerry has their own TYPO patents.

Fresh Patent Weekly site

EDIT: It turns out this is the Windermere keypad patent.

"BlackBerry patents tactile keypad overlay with touch-sensitivedisplay.

Here we go! Looks like BlackBerry is sticking with old plan building a revolutionary rumored 'Windermere' smartphone which will have a typical BlackBerry keyboard with tactile touch support enabling BlackBerry 10 software keyboard gestures on a physical form-factor."

MORE - http://www.bbin.in/?p=21617

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Jerale Hoard; 03-06-14 at 01:20 PM.
    1guitarguy likes this.
    03-04-14 03:32 PM
    Very interesting. Thanks for the post.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-14 03:33 PM
    Very interesting. Thanks for the post.

Posted via CB10
    It turns out BlackBerry really does visit that I Can Make It Better site. Not too long ago I posted an idea about this.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-14 03:38 PM
    Too bad there's prior art that will invalidate the patent. There's a drawing on CrackBerry.com that shows a device very much like that, from early 2012... I can't locate it right now though. here it is:

Last edited by RyanGermann; 03-04-14 at 04:11 PM.
    03-04-14 03:39 PM
    Too bad there's prior art that will invalidate the patent. There's a drawing on CrackBerry.com that shows a device very much like that, from early 2012... I can't locate it right now though. here it is:

http://forums.crackberry.com/attachm...-accessory.png
    So are these concepts?

Posted via CB10
    03-04-14 05:04 PM

http://forums.crackberry.com/attachm...-accessory.png
    What's the source link preferably with a date before August 2012? The patent Examiner will be very thankful! Lol

Posted via CB10
    03-04-14 05:15 PM
    It was posted on crackberry.com as part of a discussion about a way to bring keyboard to full touch devices before BB10 was shown publicly... and it wouldn't invalidate it completely, from what I can see in BB'S patent filing.

Posted via CB10
    03-04-14 06:13 PM
    It's already been rejected (non-final) citing this prior art:

https://www.google.com/patents/US201...ed=0CDUQ6AEwAA

And

https://www.google.com/patents/US201...ed=0CDUQ6AEwAA

It seems BlackBerry has their own "TYPO" type of patent-242014194342.jpg

Posted via CB10
    03-04-14 06:44 PM
    Both of those patents are for physical keyboard overlays only. One is just a plain-old physical keyboard with no additional functionality and the second is a fluid membrane that can change physical characteristics. BlackBerry is proposing a touch-sensative physical keyboard overlay which is a completely different implementation than the two keyboard overlays previously submitted to the patent office. If the two patents you linked to can conexist and be considered unique and patentable in their own right then BlackBerry's patent should be granted as well.
    03-07-14 10:46 AM
    Both of those patents are for physical keyboard overlays only. One is just a plain-old physical keyboard with no additional functionality and the second is a fluid membrane that can change physical characteristics. BlackBerry is proposing a touch-sensative physical keyboard overlay which is a completely different implementation than the two keyboard overlays previously submitted to the patent office. If the two patents you linked to can conexist and be considered unique and patentable in their own right then BlackBerry's patent should be granted as well.
    Exactly, it all comes down to HOW you do it, that's what matters for a patent. A detachable keyboard is one thing that can be debated and will maybe play against them, but the way they implement their keyboard by dual functions capacitive keys is most likely new.

On another note, it reminds me a bit of Storm's Suretype experience. Even if it had their flaws, I loved the fact that the screen would register two different functions: selecting and asserting, which could be used individually.

Posted via CB10 on my Z30
    03-07-14 11:04 AM
    From the 2010/0328251 pre-grant publication (first link in my original response)

It seems BlackBerry has their own "TYPO" type of patent-img_20140307_120147_edit.png

"In another embodiment, the apparatus may comprise a conductive material integral with the membrane that provides for capacitance detection for the touch-sensitive display screen when the apparatus is operably coupled to the touch-sensitive display screen. For example, as shown in FIG. 7C, a user may merely desire to actuate a device function without pressing keys, such as swiping 702 across the surface to move displayed icons on the screen. In this example, the conductive material that is integral with the membrane 712 can provide from electrical conduction 720 across the membrane 712, for example, to the display screen 704. In this example, the display screen can detect the movement across the membrane surface and perform corresponding functions. In one embodiment, if the device's capacitance sensitivity is sufficient, additional conductive may not be required where the capacitance touch screen operates properly through a thickness of the overlay."

Posted via CB10
    03-07-14 11:05 AM
    If they are going to go to the trouble to produce this, I hope they'd release a slider first.
    RyanGermann likes this.
    03-10-14 11:24 AM