Well, my jaw dropped. Weird to read something positive about BlackBerry.

Summary

The macro market indices got knocked around to end the week.
    BlackBerry was part and parcel with that, shedding even more value as it continues its post-earnings tank.
    With every cent the share price drops, BBRY becomes a better speculative turnaround buy with a rock solid balance sheet.
    The market (DIA)(SPY) was knocked around yet again in trading on Friday to end the week close to the 16,000 level. Believe it or not, with some funds clearing over the next couple of weeks, I actually was hoping the market would sell off to end the week, both to accommodate my short positions, and to give me some dirt cheap prices to load up on in the coming weeks.

(click to enlarge)

The market seems to have lost all confidence in BlackBerry (BBRY) since the company's last earnings call, despite the progress that we saw with CEO John Chen stopping the bleeding.

My post-earnings sentiment on the company was as follows:

The facts are that this company continues to have a monster cash position to sit on ($2.7 billion) which will offer Chen all the time he needs in order to right this ship. The company's fundamentals and balance sheet show that it's still trading at an extremely low price/book ratio and fundamentally has two strong legs to stand on.

Simply put, I'm pleased with the direction that BlackBerry is heading in and once the market starts to realize that this is a "big picture" move happening here - and that sometimes change isn't all sunshine and rainbows - the market is likely to reward BlackBerry.

I continue to believe in the job that John Chen is doing and trust that he is an asset to the company. I recently penned an article about why John Chen is such an asset to BlackBerry versus someone like a Thorsten Heins; Chen is pragmatic, swift in his decisions, and is deeply-rooted in common sense. You can read my earlier piece on Mr. Chen here.

The technical picture shows a head and shoulders top and several bearish indications. As a matter of fact, BlackBerry's chart is downright ugly for the last couple of months, having shed 30% of its value since broaching its highs as we passed from 2013 into 2014.

BlackBerry Ltd (BBRY) news: BlackBerry: I'm A Buyer On Monday - Yes, Again - Seeking Alpha

Posted via CB10
    04-14-14 12:15 PM
    Appreciate the post, but Seeking Alpha is a sight where blog writers and analysts can submit articles. There have been many articles from "bears" who do not think BlackBerry will successfully turn around. On any given day you may even see both pro and con articles.

However thanks for posting a bullish article.

Posted via CB10 via my Z10
    JeepBB likes this.
    04-14-14 01:02 PM
    Simply put, I'm pleased with the direction that BlackBerry is heading in and once the market starts to realize that this is a "big picture" move happening here - and that sometimes change isn't all sunshine and rainbows - the market is likely to reward BlackBerry.
    Once BlackBerry makes a "big picture" move... then maybe the market will reward them. Right now it's all talk about FUTURE changes and FUTURE demand and FUTURE....

Anyway, something has to start SELLING - Hardware, Software, Services..... something besides buildings and assets.

BlackBerry wants to be the next Facebook, Twitter and Instagram all rolled up into one service.... so far all they have shown is that they aren't a very successful App developer.

BlackBerry wants to maintain their dominance in the Mobile Device Management arena..... but it seems they believe everyone is waiting quietly for their next big product for some reason.

BlackBerry wants to create a major smartphone platform, but so far they can't even beat the #4 player (themselves).
    04-14-14 01:10 PM
    05-12-14 06:45 AM
    The main stream consumer views BlackBerry as a smart phone producer only, and their perception of legacy devices dominates. Google and Apple have ecosystems, and BlackBerry has none....what the consumer fails to recognize is BlackBerry is different. It's strongest points are BES, BES10. That is its future and on going revenue stream in the near future. The QNX acquisition is a great move leading to the new BB10 devices. However, this is the long play. It's what can BB10 do with QNX going forward that counts long term. Can BB10 gain the hearts of enterprise, and then a portion of the consumer space. I think 10.3 and what it is showing thus far will. I do see BlackBerry making a comeback and I do see investors profiting over the next 2 years.

Posted via CB10
    05-12-14 07:27 AM
    I think with the rise of the tablet, more pragmatic phone designs will return. I can see blackberry knocking it out of the park, long term, if they create the right phone designs, and software & OS implementations.

If you want a large screen media consumption device to carry in your jacket pocket, your better off with a MID 6.5-7 inch tablet than a smart phone. You already see these types of android devices being carried around. Take up is much faster than smart phones were, in the tablet market. Tablets will outnumber PCs and smart phones.

If you want something interactive (input, calls, messaging), and portable, blackberry would seem to be uniquely positioned to forfill that future market, because of its OS history, and design history, and when tablets rule the big screen air space, that market will grow a lot.

If investors can see that far outside of present/past situation, then they could potentially make some good coin. Of course it all depends on the device and software development, and the management of the company. But no one else on the market has the design history/positioning to take up on this inevitable future trend and create smart phones that are good for the more fundamental phone functions, texting, messaging, social networking, phone calls, music, maps etc
    05-12-14 07:43 AM