Another positive article of George Kesarios at Seeking Alpha.
    While we - as BBfans - won't learn much, this is a very good and positive thing that this type of papers hit the financial sphere.
    Would probably help the "analysts" to get some valuable tech education.

Research In Motion Might Drive Your Next Car - Seeking Alpha

How does all this fit into RIM's stock? Well I have a pretty good imagination and I can imagine car makers who want to deploy this platform in their vehicles to pay some kind of a fee to RIM. I don't see $10-20 per car as being a big thing. And if I were to buy a Porsche, I wouldn't mind paying several hundred dollars extra to have the QNX digital dashboard (see video ) installed.
    And since everything today is about the ecosystem, can you imagine a car ecosystem? While QNX has designed the platform to work with all handsets, I imagine there might be several options that would only work with a BB10 handset device.

Or how about a tablet dock in the car, where instead of the car having a screen built in, everyone uses their 7 inch tablet to customize the car interface according to their own liking. Or how about running a car diagnostic via your tablet? The possibilities are endless.

I see QNX as an ace in RIM's pocket. What might come out of all this technology is hard to tell, but QNX defiantly has the potential for great things.
    cjcampbell, bigbadben10 and zyben like this.
    01-13-13 04:28 AM
    Yep I expect Blackberrys to get exclusive features.But thats the BIG plan Thats the plan M2M connectivity with it all It being powered by Rims new QNX NOC which they should then make money of service revenue upgrading the machines.It wont matter whats in the car orange,cyborg phone Rim will make money of licensing,services.Im certain that software/company aquistions and patent buying will increase soon.

I must say its only this year I knew what what Rim was about now I see they are technical monsters.I was loyal phone user now Im fully in what Rim do on whole as company.Good times ahead starting with the awesome phones.
    01-13-13 12:03 PM
    Yep I expect Blackberrys to get exclusive features.But thats the BIG plan Thats the plan M2M connectivity with it all It being powered by Rims new QNX NOC which they should then make money of service revenue upgrading the machines.It wont matter whats in the car orange,cyborg phone Rim will make money of licensing,services.Im certain that software/company aquistions and patent buying will increase soon.

I must say its only this year I knew what what Rim was about now I see they are technical monsters.I was loyal phone user now Im fully in what Rim do on whole as company.Good times ahead starting with the awesome phones.
    I believ you got it straight right. I'm not *at all* in favor of QNX car system limiting anything to any device. But ... guess what : BlackBerry10 devices are capable of things others aren't !
    01-13-13 02:44 PM
    I believ you got it straight right. I'm not *at all* in favor of QNX car system limiting anything to any device. But ... guess what : BlackBerry10 devices are capable of things others aren't !
    Hmmm I am in favor for QNX limiting non RIM phones capabilitys.QNX is part of RIM's ecosystem the ecobattle has kicked off with the patent battle orange vs copysome.The patent troll agencys ,nokia trying to slow us down before release,Goog blocking MS users of maps eh got to get ready to duke it out.You have to make sure your product stands out as soon enough all phones will do the same thing due to copying.It's small features that people dont even rate that will make future phones/OS stand out. Im pretty sure BB10 devices will get extra features that others wont in a qnx car.All those other phones will get is basic car control via that html site that service will probably cost money to boot.BB10 phones that are connected to qnx cars will easily get native features and some more I would imagine its just another part of the eco system.
    01-13-13 03:55 PM
    My guess is that until BB get a good take up and are challenging iOS and Android that it's unlikely that car manufacturers would allow QNX to not let those 2 do things that the system and the phones are capable of doing, thus annoying potential buyers from buying the thing that manufacturers are most desiring to sell - the cars.

If as @SuperFly suggest that BB phones have features the others don't bring (not sure what you mean there) then by all means they should make a point of that and I am sure the manufacturers would be sure to highlight those features, just like some are doing now with Siri integration (ironically some of it coming through QNX devices).

And as far as the post title is concerned - it's more likely Google will be driving your car than RIM - at least Google is currently Alpha testing this, even getting States to change their laws to allow it. @SF do you have knowledge of QNX testing this feature currently?
    01-13-13 06:16 PM