Yet another Seeking Alpha article - Yawn... but this is very positive on outlook.

Major U.K. Outlets Hike BlackBerry Z10 Price Above iPhone5, Black Market Thriving - Seeking Alpha

Two areas of the article stand out:

"Carphone Warehouse:

No longer sells the Z10 without contract online.
    Sim-free sales are only in stores and this depends on each store's inventory.
    Raised the price of BOTH Z10s from 479 to 529 GBP (iPhone 5 (AAPL) for 499).
    Phones4u

No longer sells the Z10 without contract online.
    Sim-free sales are only in stores and this depends on each store's inventory.
    Raised the price of the black Z10 from 479 to 540 GBP.
    When was the last time the price of a phone was raised post-launch, and even more so, that phone was a BlackBerry? Other than being stranded on a deserted island with nothing but a BlackBerry I cannot see that scenario ever playing out! But it just did. "

and

"My limited UK channel checks have confirmed very important trends:

1.) Prices are being increased post-launch.

2.) The black market exists and is thriving 21 days after launch.

3.) The larger UK stores as expected had 'massive' quantities of launch.

4.) Those stores blew the phones out the door."
    02-21-13 11:52 AM
    Just read this... Seem pretty contrary to what analysts are shouting.
    zyben likes this.
    02-21-13 11:54 AM
    Pretty interesting article with some very logical ideas of how to actually do channel checks and not just spout off rubbish.

Z10 has to be eating away at the other slab sales even though the competition would hate to admit it.
    02-21-13 12:21 PM
    This is just an indication of how well the Z10 is selling in the UK. If the Z10 was selling as poorly as some of those analysts are saying

1. The major retail outlets would not be raising its price
    2. The major retail outlets would not be refusing to sell Z10's online without contracts
    3. The Black market for Z10's would not be thriving after it had been on here market for 21 days.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-21-13 12:26 PM
    Unless supply is amazing low, which would surprise me. Thor isn't dumb enough to crimp supply to make demand look good when he believes that demand would actually be good.

Posted via CB10
    02-21-13 01:40 PM
    Unless supply is amazing low, which would surprise me. Thor isn't dumb enough to crimp supply to make demand look good when he believes that demand would actually be good.

Posted via CB10
    Who knows about this one no history with Thor to make any speculations of what he would do.

but if Jim and Mike were still running the ship they would have bought like 2 million devices over what demand indicators were telling them. Of course if they were still in charge we would probably be waiting another 2 years for BB10
    02-21-13 01:47 PM
    for me the point of the article is not how well or not BB is doing in as much it is about the methodology of many "analysts' when collecting data....that being said... next quarterlies will settle the issue....
    02-21-13 01:56 PM
    Great Find OP. I like the sound of what this article is saying.
    THBW likes this.
    02-21-13 03:41 PM
    ...that being said... next quarterlies will settle the issue....
    I doubt it, they will just say that it is pent up demand and the next quarter will suck.

Posted via CB10
    02-21-13 05:56 PM
    Whats stated in this article is clearly obtainable information, unlike the anaylist info like Canaccord. Someone is full of ****e
    02-21-13 06:39 PM
  11. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    demand is there ... no question!!
    02-21-13 06:49 PM
    Just read this... Seem pretty contrary to what analysts are shouting.
    Witch analyst are you refering to?
    Funny thing is the analysts are starting to shout at eachother, one day Canaccord said one "missleading" thing. The next day Jefferies and Goldman Sachs jump into the frey with the opposite view! All protecting their own investments no doubt!!
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-21-13 08:59 PM
  13. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Witch analyst are you refering to?
    Funny thing is the analysts are starting to shout at eachother, one day Canaccord said one "missleading" thing. The next day Jefferies and Goldman Sachs jump into the frey with the opposite view! All protecting their own investments no doubt!!
    Yes indeed … but facts will come out in the next reporting period .. in the meanwhile .. the Z10's are still hard to get!! .. even in Canada they are still on back order with many carrier outlets and selling fast!!! ….
    02-21-13 10:23 PM
    There could be another reason for this that is more plausable.

Stirling has continued to drop since the beginning of the year against most major currencies, if retailers are having to buy new stock then the cost will be transfered onto the customer.
    As retailers have more confidence in the iPhone, they are likely to have more stock and as such will not be affected as much by fluctuations in currency.
    Last edited by BB Marissa; 02-22-13 at 06:25 AM.
    02-22-13 05:58 AM
    Z10 not yet released in China but quite strong black market for the device - the import comes from both Canada and UK.

In last couple of days the price, especially for UK models, went up. I just got one, well this is my first post using Z10 on crackberry,and paid ~900 usd. Since last couple of days the price went to over 1000.

Tell me no demand for the device
    web99 likes this.
    02-22-13 06:20 AM
    I think that the most interesting part of the article is the channel check methodology.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-13 08:40 AM

Stirling has continued to drop since the beginning of the year against most major currencies, if retailers are having to buy new stock then the cost will be transfered onto the customer.
    As retailers have more confidence in the iPhone, they are likely to have more stock and as such will not be affected as much by fluctuations in currency.
    Currency values rise and fall on a regular basis. The drop would have to be prolonged and severe before retailers would make changes. A one month change in currency value would have very little impact on retail pricing.
    02-22-13 08:57 AM
    It is possible the retailers are trying to get more margins from the black market sellers. This might be the reason for the hike in prices.
    02-22-13 12:22 PM
    The sim free price rose immediately after launch, too many were being bought for export.

Most people pay for their phones through the call plan. The cheapest I can currently find a Z10 for is 36/month for 24 months. I can get an S3 on a similar plan for 29/month. I know handsets are always more expensive around launch time, but this is now starting to hurt sales. Initial sales were strong, but are slowing considerably now and a big reason is price. Are there supply problems?

Edit - this is based on discussions I had today with staff in a CPW and a P4U. They believe the 7/month difference between the Z10 and S3 is hurting sales.
    02-22-13 04:01 PM
    The sim free price rose immediately after launch, too many were being bought for export.

Most people pay for their phones through the call plan. The cheapest I can currently find a Z10 for is 36/month for 24 months. I can get an S3 on a similar plan for 29/month. I know handsets are always more expensive around launch time, but this is now starting to hurt sales. Initial sales were strong, but are slowing considerably now and a big reason is price. Are there supply problems?

Edit - this is based on discussions I had today with staff in a CPW and a P4U. They believe the 7/month difference between the Z10 and S3 is hurting sales.
    If Z10 IS priced above both Ip5 (Off Contract) and S3 on contract, it means either 1.) Limited supply or 2.) They believe Z10 can compete at these levels. Either way its bullish? They can easily shave 7gbp off to match the s3 if they want. I did not get the impression that sales had l slowed in any way on my checks, but different stores can yield different results etc. There is no science here. I do think the fact prices are raised 21 days after launch must be a positive, not a negative.
    02-22-13 04:49 PM

The GBP is hardly down against either the USD or CAD (we're talking 0.05 cents here). Further, I'm fairly sure that currency risk would be on Blackberry, not the retailer. Also, if you hold more stock you're more likely to suffer from currency fluctuations, not less. And any competent business would hedge any serious currency risk anyway.

So no, this is 100% implausible.
    02-22-13 08:19 PM
    major German online seller (amazon.de) lists the Z10 for 629,- Euro with no availability and grants an 50,- Euro discount until Feb, 28th - interesting move for an unreleased and so called highly demanded product. Leading price comparison site for germany shows 599,- to 699,- Euro with no availability at no dealer...
    02-23-13 02:29 AM
    Comparing Apple sales versus BlackBerry sales, it can be inferred that this may be a case of limited supply. My reasoning for this conclusion stems from the fact that Apple ceased pre-orders after releasing the iPhone 5 and even when the FoxConn issues arose which affected supply and delayed the phone, the price never increased. We all know the demand for Apple phones, so this is what I base my logic on.

I see it as basic economics of Supply & Demand. However, instead of speculating (which seems to be the trend of Analysts these days) on various scenarios to gauge sales, the best thing is simply to wait until next month for the earnings call by BBRY. All answers will be available then.
    Chris Marsch likes this.
    02-23-13 12:32 PM