The Battle For Third Place: BlackBerry BB10 Vs. Microsoft Windows 8 - Seeking Alpha

The article is over a battle for third place dominance between Windows and RIM. Seems to be fairly impartial. The writer is long on RIM at this moment so that could be behind his posting. Interesting read.
    05-17-12 08:06 AM
    Just post the article, we don't wanna add to the hits of that awful site.
    05-17-12 08:50 AM
    It's kind of a long article, but here's one paragraph.

"While we know the biggest players now in the market, I am focusing this article on two companies wanting a bigger future slice of this still growing technology pie. I don't expect either company to dominate in smartphones or tablets, but I expect them to profit from these sectors in the next few years. The two companies that will be competing for third place are Microsoft (MSFT), with Windows 8, and Research In Motion (RIMM), with BlackBerry BB10. These are both the fallen and downtrodden giants of several years ago, companies that many have completely written off regarding the ability to gain any traction in smartphones or tablets. If you fit that description, you need read no further; but if you are curious about investing in the future of either company, based just on the still-growing smartphone and tablet markets, then I welcome you to continue reading, and hopefully to enter a discussion through the comments."

There aren't a lot of wild predictions, though he does say: "It would not surprise me to see a complete re-branding to another name, at the very least, in order to remove the stigma surrounding PlayBook."

I don't think PlayBook was a good name to begin with, but I'm not sure enough consumers have heard of it that it might have a "stigma".

Overall, the tone of the article is that Microsoft and RIM could both be strong 3rd and 4th place players.
    05-17-12 09:24 AM
    Great article. It will definitely be a battle. BB10 should focus strictly on the enterprise market and dominate there first and let the big 3 battle it out.
    05-17-12 09:37 AM
    I suggest you get a flame suit. Posting articles that have any kind of negative spin has been met with some harsh criticisms as of late.

Seeking Alpha is all over the place. RIM's dead, Buy RIM, etc. Those "analysts" can't agree on what RIM's future is, but each write their own point of view anyway.
    05-17-12 09:41 AM
    Then you shouldn't read the article, period.
    05-17-12 09:43 AM
    Great article. It will definitely be a battle. BB10 should focus strictly on the enterprise market and dominate there first and let the big 3 battle it out.
    They already dominate the enterprise market!
    05-17-12 09:45 AM
    Then you shouldn't read the article, period.
    Practically feeding the troll with hits. RIM bashers they are!!!! Oh and believe me I haven't!!! I've read 1 article in the past and never went to the site again.
    Last edited by Thachoc1; 05-17-12 at 09:50 AM.
    05-17-12 09:47 AM
    I suggest you get a flame suit. Posting articles that have any kind of negative spin has been met with some harsh criticisms as of late.

Seeking Alpha is all over the place. RIM's dead, Buy RIM, etc. Those "analysts" can't agree on what RIM's future is, but each write their own point of view anyway.
    Yea, seeking alpha is all over the place. But I do like to get as much information from as many view points as possible before coming to a conclusion, and yes that includes the negative ones.

Flame suit not needed. If I got affected by any personal attack by some anonomous person on a website, well...that's just sad.
    brucep1 likes this.
    05-17-12 09:49 AM
    Yea, seeking alpha is all over the place. But I do like to get as much information from as many view points as possible before coming to a conclusion, and yes that includes the negative ones.

Flame suit not needed. If I got affected by any personal attack by some anonomous person on a website, well...that's just sad.
    I totally agree with your position on both matters!
    05-17-12 09:52 AM
    Practically feeding the troll with hits. RIM bashers they are!!!!
    Well if you think it is a troll article, why would you read it anyways? lol

It's not a bad article. The battle for third place is going to bea big one. I hope BB10 has what it takes to overcome WP8, but the Windows 8/WP8 combo is going to be a big one.
    05-17-12 09:53 AM
    It's kind of a long article, but here's one paragraph.

"While we know the biggest players now in the market, I am focusing this article on two companies wanting a bigger future slice of this still growing technology pie. I don't expect either company to dominate in smartphones or tablets, but I expect them to profit from these sectors in the next few years. The two companies that will be competing for third place are Microsoft (MSFT), with Windows 8, and Research In Motion (RIMM), with BlackBerry BB10. These are both the fallen and downtrodden giants of several years ago, companies that many have completely written off regarding the ability to gain any traction in smartphones or tablets. If you fit that description, you need read no further; but if you are curious about investing in the future of either company, based just on the still-growing smartphone and tablet markets, then I welcome you to continue reading, and hopefully to enter a discussion through the comments."

There aren't a lot of wild predictions, though he does say: "It would not surprise me to see a complete re-branding to another name, at the very least, in order to remove the stigma surrounding PlayBook."

I don't think PlayBook was a good name to begin with, but I'm not sure enough consumers have heard of it that it might have a "stigma".

Overall, the tone of the article is that Microsoft and RIM could both be strong 3rd and 4th place players.
    I digress, i still get the question everyday, "Is that an ipad or kindle" I say no, its better that both of those combined.
    05-17-12 09:55 AM
    Well if you think it is a troll article, why would you read it anyways? lol

It's not a bad article. The battle for third place is going to be big one. I hope BB10 has what it takes to overcome WP8, but the Windows 8/WP8 combo is going to be a big one.
    Well that's a surprise. However my previous visit to the site left a bad taste. All I know is I like what I see from BB10, I don't bother to waste my time with the others simply because I'm not interested.
    05-17-12 10:39 AM

Analysts are individuals and should not be expected to agree. Seeking Alpha doesn't have opinions on stocks, the individual writers do. They're opinion pieces. Analysts aren't pro-RIM or anti-RIM, they're just trying to predict the future and their only interest is in being right. Also, they suck at predicting the future, but so does everyone else.
    05-17-12 10:44 AM
    The stigma that the playbook had previously has weakend to a great degree.

In the past few months i've seen a few people in our office with them and people using them while out in public.

But i'm in Canada, so what do i know
    05-17-12 10:46 AM

Actually, considering many of the other scathing articles about RIM, this one can almost be considered positive. It basically speaks to a point that many of us have already conceded, and to which Thorsten himself has alluded: that RIM does not need to overtake iOS or Android in order to be successful. BB10 or WP8 can end up a distant third and still be in a pretty decent position. As long as they are growing sales, profits and share and not bleeding it, investors will be happy(er).
    05-17-12 12:25 PM
    They already dominate the enterprise market!
    How can BB10 dominate enterprise when it is yet to be released.
    05-17-12 12:30 PM
    RIM vs. MS is the only contest that matters right now. They are both fighting for survival in the space, not just placement. The sooner RIM realizes that their fight is not with Google or Apple, the sooner they can create a winning strategy.
    05-17-12 02:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD