How long does a security wipe take you? I'm asking because a Verizon rep told me it should take only 15 mins, 20 mins at the most. I was having technical issues and he wanted me to do a security wipe, reload my OS, and then email him back within a few minutes to see if the problem was resolved. I told him I couldn't do that until later (when my spouse got home from work) because I don't have a home phone, therefore I didn't be unreachable for several hrs while my kids were out & about while my phone was going through the wipe & reload process.

He insisted, "Oh it won't take but a few minutes, go ahead and do it now." I said, no, I've done security wipes on numerous Blackberries before and it can take anywhere from 45 minutes to a couple hrs to wipe and then more time to reload the OS. He said, "That's just ridiculous, I've never heard of it taking that long."

So what are your experiences? I've wiped two pearls, a bold, two curves, three storms, a torch, three Z10s and a Z30. All took far longer than 15 minutes.

Do other phones have a security wipe or just a factory reset? Do security wipes on Blackberries follow a different protocol -- like writing over data with multiple passes?

Posted via CB10
    08-07-15 06:27 PM
    It's been known to take anywhere between 15 minutes to a couple of days (no joke) depending on how much you have on the device.

My recommendation is always to run an autoloader instead - it wipes the device and provides a clean install. It only takes a few minutes.

If you are still concerned about a potential for a forensic audit of your memory, then you can do a security wipe after - which will take no time at all with a clean device.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2339
    Last edited by conite; 08-07-15 at 07:57 PM.
    08-07-15 06:38 PM
    My security wipe on the q10 took 6 hours. No joke.

Posted via CB10
    08-07-15 07:54 PM
    I think wiping the phone through an auto loader would be best. Doing it on the phone is painfully slow.

Posted via CB10
    08-08-15 06:52 AM
    As other mentioned, sometimes 15 minutes, but I also had it wipe for more than four hours. I guess it heavily depends on how much data is stored on the device.

Posted via CB10
    08-08-15 12:29 PM
    My security wipe experience took 30 mins.

Posted via BlackBerry Z10  
    08-08-15 07:29 PM
    My security wipe has been running for 7 days on my Z30. Yes its hard to believe. Apparently the Z30 has not crashed- its still running and is responsive when I swipe the screen. But why has it taken so long?

Is there any way to interrupt the process and begin loading 10.3.2 OS? Sachesi cannot find the device (because its in security wipe mode).
    Will an autoloader work? I've not been able to find one for 10.3.2 for a Z30 STA100-5 GMS.
    08-09-15 12:31 AM
    I'm not recommending this but there have been several times I've lost my patience or been pushed for time (i.e. handing a device back in to corporate or needing to get it mailed to the new owner asap) and I've pulled the battery during a security wipe when it's taking longer than a 6+ hours. When I put the battery back in the phone powers on and the security wipe continues. This seems to "unstick" whatever was causing it to hang and not complete the wipe. It usually finishes within an hour after a battery pull.

Doing so is totally at your own risk, it's not recommend by Blackberry but damn if I'm going to wait 7 days on a phone to finish a security wipe! There is a Blackberry Knowledge Base article that discusses what to do if the security wipe is interrupted and won't load the OS or finish wiping. I strongly suggest doing some research and/or call tech support before trying a battery pull. I've never had an issue but I suppose there is always a chance you could brick the device.

Now, I was doing a wipe on a new BB without a removable battery, I don't know what would work, but personally, if it was taking longer than 6 hours on one of those phone, I'd try doing something like a hard reset by holding down both volume buttons for several moments. Again, not recommending this to anyone, it's just what I would do.
    08-09-15 05:01 AM
    After removing your memory card & plugging it into the charger and selecting Wipe. The security Wipe can take between 30 minutes to an hour or more. Regardless what a store assistant says. IMO, store assistants know nothing. Their just there to sell phones and basically have no handset training.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Craigash; 08-10-15 at 08:16 AM.
    08-09-15 12:58 PM
    I wouldn't trust the Verizon rep...he/she sounds like a used car salesman.

Posted via CB10
    08-09-15 02:37 PM
    Other phones don't do "security wipes" by themselves (you can get apps to do that, though) - they do "factory resets". While both "delete" data, a security wipe overwrites everything a number of times to prevent the data from being undeletable or otherwise recovered. A factory reset only takes 10 minutes or so.

Anyway, either the Verizon rep or the OP has confused "factory reset" for "security wipe" - they aren't the same thing.
    08-09-15 05:02 PM
    Other phones don't do "security wipes" by themselves (you can get apps to do that, though) - they do "factory resets". While both "delete" data, a security wipe overwrites everything a number of times to prevent the data from being undeletable or otherwise recovered. A factory reset only takes 10 minutes or so.

Anyway, either the Verizon rep or the OP has confused "factory reset" for "security wipe" - they aren't the same thing.
    Correct, this is why people still had photos leaked when they sold their phones after a "security wipe", ahem factory reset... 8-o

(Android afaik, maybe other platforms, too.)

�   BB10 -- Finger flickin' good... in any form factor!   �
    08-09-15 11:40 PM